SECOND Annual Fall Finale Forty-mile Country Path Ramble

Pondero

Oct 29, 2010, 8:40:24 PM10/29/10
to CycleBABBLE
With the cooler weather finally arriving here in north Texas, I'm sure
many of you have been wondering whether there'd be a repeat of this
fine event...

http://chris-pondero.blogspot.com/2009/11/first-annual-fall-forty-mile-country.html

http://chris-pondero.blogspot.com/2009/12/fall-finale-and-friends.html

...the Fall Finale Forty-mile Country Path Ramble...and the answer is
YES, and I'm beginning to select a date. As of today, I'm thinking of
December 4, 11, or 18, or possibly even late November.

Due to some logistics issues, we didn't actually make it all the way
to Muenster last year. We could do the out and back to Rosston route
again, or maybe even a Rosston loop, but it would be great if we could
go all the way to Muenster.

I'm posting this to the group for input and comment, but as ride
coordinator I reserve final decision-making authority. Since I'll
plan to post a link to the route on Bikely.com soon, I guess that
doesn't really give me much power after all.

More details will be posted here as they develop. Any interest out
there?

Chandra

Oct 29, 2010, 9:02:06 PM10/29/10
to cycle...@googlegroups.com
as of now, dec. 18 is good for me. thanks, chris!
--
"Spread love everywhere you go. Let no one ever come to you without leaving happier."
-Mother Teresa

Christopher Johnson

Oct 29, 2010, 9:16:10 PM10/29/10
to cycle...@googlegroups.com
For a couple of reasons, I was sort of leaning towards the 18th myself, but I'll wait on others to chime in before making a decision.  I hope you can make it again this year.

m T

Oct 30, 2010, 8:38:55 AM10/30/10
to cycle...@googlegroups.com
I'm ready although, to be honest, I don't think I could ride much farther than we did last year. As of right now December 18th sounds fine.

Are you wanting to open this ride up to others as well? I had several people ask if they could go along on the next ride.

Christopher Johnson

Oct 30, 2010, 11:47:21 AM10/30/10
to cycle...@googlegroups.com
If we ride to Muenster and drive back, the ride will be about the same as last year.  The challenge is arranging to drive back.  I think I'll look at making a Rosston loop.  We've GOTTA stop in at the old general store again.

Yes, I would like to offer a general invitation (just like last year), and I'll be posting something on my blog also.  Of course, I'll be wanting to make sure people understand that this is NOT an organized ride, no entry fee, no T-shirt, and no sag.  It's just a bunch of friends, who understand that they are completely responsible for themselves, out for a bicycle ride.  I guess they also need to understand the "cyclotourist" nature of the ride...meaning coffee stops, photo stops, no drop, and all that.

I hope you can make it, Myles.  I guess we are still leaning toward the 18th.

Chris

Doohickie

Oct 30, 2010, 2:00:04 PM10/30/10
to CycleBABBLE
Sounds good. As always, the wife is the final arbiter of my social
schedule, so assuming no holiday parties or whatever interfere, that
should be a good date for me. I can't remember why I couldn't go last
year but I remember thinking I would be there, then something came up.

On Oct 30, 10:47 am, Christopher Johnson <cj.spin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> If we ride to Muenster and drive back, the ride will be about the same as
> last year.  The challenge is arranging to drive back.  I think I'll look at
> making a Rosston loop.  We've GOTTA stop in at the old general store again.
>
> Yes, I would like to offer a general invitation (just like last year), and
> I'll be posting something on my blog also.  Of course, I'll be wanting to
> make sure people understand that this is NOT an organized ride, no entry
> fee, no T-shirt, and no sag.  It's just a bunch of friends, who understand
> that they are completely responsible for themselves, out for a bicycle ride.
>  I guess they also need to understand the "cyclotourist" nature of the
> ride...meaning coffee stops, photo stops, no drop, and all that.
>
> I hope you can make it, Myles.  I guess we are still leaning toward the
> 18th.
>
> Chris

Christopher Johnson

Oct 30, 2010, 2:27:06 PM10/30/10
to cycle...@googlegroups.com
Paul, last year it was a wedding conflict. Don't miss it this year.

Doohickie

Oct 30, 2010, 3:15:39 PM10/30/10
to CycleBABBLE
You have a better memory than I do. (Maybe you are starting to
understand why Belinda keeps my social calendar!) Well, she just got
home and as of right now she knows of no conflict.

On Oct 30, 1:27 pm, Christopher Johnson <cj.spin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Paul, last year it was a wedding conflict.  Don't miss it this year.

Christopher Johnson

Oct 30, 2010, 3:51:07 PM10/30/10
to cycle...@googlegroups.com
Great, Paul, tell your wife to block out Saturdays in December.

m T

Oct 30, 2010, 3:53:37 PM10/30/10
to cycle...@googlegroups.com
Do you mind if we mention our plans to the groups on Facebook (Bike Friendly Fort Worth etc.)?

Christopher Johnson

Oct 30, 2010, 4:55:59 PM10/30/10
to cycle...@googlegroups.com
No problem, Myles.

Chandra Eswaran

Oct 30, 2010, 5:11:12 PM10/30/10
to cycle...@googlegroups.com

I am gonna invite a couple of my friends also, if u don't mind. Thanks, Chris.

Christopher Johnson

Oct 30, 2010, 6:42:01 PM10/30/10
to cycle...@googlegroups.com
Sure, Chandra, just help them understand what this ride is all about...that, and we haven't quite officially set the date yet.  However, it looks like the 18th is still the group favorite.

My plan is to post an open invitation on my blog when some of the details are better defined.  I just wanted to start a dialog on this forum to see if there is interest, and to try to see what date might be best.

Chris

Pondero

Nov 6, 2010, 10:15:09 AM11/6/10
to CycleBABBLE
Due to logistics issues with a one-way route to Muenster, plus a
desire to keep this ramble to less than 50 miles, I've been
investigating something more like a loop route. I think I've
identified a pretty good alternative to a pure "out-and-back" to
minimize repetition. It appears we can make a 35-mile loop with a 4.7
mile "out-and-back" spur to Rosston. That approach keeps the
historical Rosston store as a part of the Ramble for snacks and
fluids, but keeps most of the scenery fresh. This could be an
improvement from last year's edition.

The plan for today is Ramble Reconn. If all goes well, look for a
report on my blog.

Finally, due to the responses received so far, along with my growing
calendar constraints, I'm leaning more than ever toward holding the
event on December 18. This is not yet final, but is what I'd call
"probably".

It would be great to have a large group of country ramblers this year.

m T

Nov 6, 2010, 10:39:29 AM11/6/10
to cycle...@googlegroups.com
The mileage sounds perfect and I like the idea of doing a loop. So far December 18th works for me.

Doohickie

Nov 10, 2010, 10:26:18 PM11/10/10
to CycleBABBLE
Same here. I'll probably ride my hybrid since I recently put 700 x
35C tires on it. At first the extra width (I was running 25s) slowed
me down, but now that I'm getting used to them, my speed is actually
increasing. I think under load (up hills, into the wind), I'm running
a little slower, but I'm taking turns much faster because these tires
inspire much more confidence. Plus they absorb all the road chatter
for a very smooth ride. These wheels came from Myles,
incidentally.... thanks a lot, they're working out wonderfully!

Doohickie

Dec 17, 2010, 9:07:45 AM12/17/10
to CycleBABBLE
Anyone want to share a ride from SW Fort Worth?
> > December 18th works for me.- Hide quoted text -

Doohickie

Dec 18, 2010, 10:51:39 PM12/18/10
to CycleBABBLE
I think all of us that enjoyed, nay, abused, Chris's hospitality today
owe him a round of internet applause! Thanks for hosting us and
herding us, even though we behaved like cats. You're an awesome
possum.

m T

Dec 18, 2010, 11:51:58 PM12/18/10
to cycle...@googlegroups.com
Man, I wish I could have been there with you guys. I read Steve's report. It looked like a decent crowd showed up.

Chandra

Dec 19, 2010, 1:28:07 AM12/19/10
to cycle...@googlegroups.com
We missed having you! Again, thanks Chris for all your efforts!
Peace :)

Steve A

Dec 19, 2010, 5:17:36 AM12/19/10
to cycle...@googlegroups.com
Chris was a wonderful host and I thank him mightily. Hopefully his stress level returns to normal today as he had to feel a bit like a mother hen at times yesterday.

-Steve A

Christopher Johnson

Dec 19, 2010, 8:23:16 AM12/19/10
to cycle...@googlegroups.com
What an honor it was to have so many nice folks travel so far to join me for a bike ride!  I had a great time.

Christopher Johnson

Dec 19, 2010, 8:37:52 AM12/19/10
to cycle...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the encouragement, Paul.

It was really quite a joy for me.  That said, I'm thinking of ways we might be able to make things more enjoyable for all.  We had a pretty large group for a true "no drop" ride.  Given the wide variety of ride styles, I'm considering cue sheets for next year.  That way, those who wish to take a faster pace can do so...and those who wish to stop and sip coffee on a bridge a couple of times can do that as well.

Other suggestions are welcome.

Chris

Ron H

Dec 19, 2010, 8:38:58 PM12/19/10
to cycle...@googlegroups.com

Great ideas Chris.  I have the route saved (along with one wrong turn) on my Garmin so that could be shared with the techno crowd as well.  Thanks for a great ride!

Doohickie

Dec 19, 2010, 8:48:09 PM12/19/10
to CycleBABBLE
Chris: One suggestion- for the people who want to ride faster,
prepare a cue sheet that has a few extra miles added to it. You know
how the people accidentally rode extra miles right at the end of the
first half? Maybe add that to the route for people who are riding a
little faster, or maybe one or to other extra loops.

On Dec 19, 7:37 am, Christopher Johnson <cj.spin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the encouragement, Paul.
>
> It was really quite a joy for me.  That said, I'm thinking of ways we might
> be able to make things more enjoyable for all.  We had a pretty large group
> for a true "no drop" ride.  Given the wide variety of ride styles, I'm
> considering cue sheets for next year.  That way, those who wish to take a
> faster pace can do so...and those who wish to stop and sip coffee on a
> bridge a couple of times can do that as well.
>
> Other suggestions are welcome.
>
> Chris

Steve A

Aug 19, 2012, 10:28:47 PM8/19/12
to cycle...@googlegroups.com, Jenny Rilling
We have talked about doing a gathering in Denton on October 6th or some other +/- Saturday.

This can be a "car free" day trip. Saturday, the first TRE of the morning runs around 9AM and the last one in the evening is a little after 9:30PM. The trip for most would involve a ride to the nearest TRE Station, then a transfer to light rail and the A TRAIN, followed by a ride to the meetup location and whatever riding we do from there and then the reverse to get home unless we have motoring support for the trip home, but I think that would spoil the concept if we can avoid it. I believe the regional day pass costs $10. Anyway, speak up!

    -Steve A

Coming from the west, the DART Planner says you'd arrive in Denton at 11:19AM or 1:01PM. Since the light rail picks up at Union Station, the arrival times from the east would be the same.

It looks like one has to be back at Downtown Denton Transit Center and on board  before 6:10 or7:52PM.

Those times seem like they leave us with a number of options. If we plan on the 6PM return, people will be off the train at the other end around 9, so we'd need to be done earlier (4:35) if we cater to people without lights.

chandra eswaran

Aug 20, 2012, 1:04:31 AM8/20/12
to cycle...@googlegroups.com, Jenny Rilling
Greenbelt is a very picturesque trail, but can get muddy and can be challenging for road bikes.

Steve A

Aug 20, 2012, 4:22:00 AM8/20/12
to cycle...@googlegroups.com, Jenny Rilling
I spoke with Chris and we thought we'd stick to paved roads in Denton this time around. Muddy bikes would not be welcome on the train.

     -Steve A