CUFP 2007 Videos in the ACM Digital Library

1 view

Kathleen Fisher

May 1, 2008, 4:46:09 PM5/1/08
to CUFP
Hello all,

At long last, the videos recorded at CUFP 2007 have been posted in the
ACM Digital Library. You can find them either by searching for "CUFP"
at the top level DL page or by using this link:

http://portal.acm.org/toc.cfm?id=1362702&coll=ACM&dl=ACM&type=proceeding&idx=SERIES824&part=series&WantType=Proceedings&title=ICFP&CFID=16603487&CFTOKEN=68446686

At CUFP, various people expressed interest in having the videos posted
on Google Video. My interpretation of the release form presenters had
to sign for ACM is that it does not preclude such cross-posting. How
much interest is there in having the videos posted on Google Video?

Lots of thanks to Peter Thiemann and colleagues for all the work they
put in to capture the talks and post-process the video.

Kathleen

Bryan O'Sullivan

May 1, 2008, 5:12:02 PM5/1/08
to cu...@googlegroups.com
Kathleen Fisher wrote:

> At long last, the videos recorded at CUFP 2007 have been posted in the
> ACM Digital Library.

Thank you!

> At CUFP, various people expressed interest in having the videos posted
> on Google Video. My interpretation of the release form presenters had
> to sign for ACM is that it does not preclude such cross-posting. How
> much interest is there in having the videos posted on Google Video?

Very much, at least on my part. I can't play the Quicktime movies on
Linux, but I can play Flash videos.

<b

Seyed H. HAERI (Hossein)

May 2, 2008, 5:48:42 AM5/2/08
to cu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kathleen,

> At long last, the videos recorded at CUFP 2007 have been posted in the
> ACM Digital Library. You can find them either by searching for "CUFP"
> at the top level DL page or by using this link:
>
> http://portal.acm.org/toc.cfm?id=1362702&coll=ACM&dl=ACM&type=proceeding&idx=SERIES824&part=series&WantType=Proceedings&title=ICFP&CFID=16603487&CFTOKEN=68446686

Great! Thanks! :)

> At CUFP, various people expressed interest in having the videos posted
> on Google Video. My interpretation of the release form presenters had
> to sign for ACM is that it does not preclude such cross-posting. How
> much interest is there in having the videos posted on Google Video?

The immidiate advantage of putting them on Google Video, AFAICS, is
that people can refer to them much more easily, and they are free! (No
need to be an ACM member anymore...)

Cheers,
--Hossein

Seyed H. HAERI (Hossein)

PhD Student,
Dependable Systems Group,
School of Mathematical and Computer Sciences,
Heriot-Watt University,
Edinburgh, UK

personal web: http://www.macs.hw.ac.uk/~hossein
Dependable Systems Group: http://www.macs.hw.ac.uk/dsg
email: hos...@macs.hw.ac.uk

ACCU - Professionalism in programming - http://www.accu.org/

Noel Welsh

May 2, 2008, 7:59:40 AM5/2/08
to CUFP
On May 1, 9:46 pm, Kathleen Fisher <kathleen.fis...@gmail.com> wrote:

> At CUFP, various people expressed interest in having the videos posted
> on Google Video. My interpretation of the release form presenters had
> to sign for ACM is that it does not preclude such cross-posting. How
> much interest is there in having the videos posted on Google Video?

I believe they will receive many more views from posting on a free
video service than from posting on the ACM Digital Library. It is
particularly pertinent in this case as commercial users of functional
programming are much less likely to have access to the ACM DL than
academics.

Posting on this site would make a good addition to posting on Google
Video:

http://videolectures.net/

N.

Chance Coble

May 2, 2008, 11:46:10 AM5/2/08
to cu...@googlegroups.com

Fantastic! Thanks Kathleen.

I would certainly appreciate the videos being posted on Google Video if that turns out to be a possibility.

Regards,
Chance

winmail.dat

Grant Rettke

May 3, 2008, 11:09:59 AM5/3/08
to CUFP
> How much interest is there in having the videos posted on Google Video?

You will get a LOT more exposure if you post them on Google Video or
Youtube as it will make them available for general consumption by
everyone who hasn't an ACM DL membership.

I know that there is a free ACM DL membership now, I'm not sure if
that would work, but forcing people to log in to view them is one way
to make sure people won't watch the videos.

Grant Rettke

May 3, 2008, 7:58:26 PM5/3/08
to CUFP
How do you download the Quicktime (MOV) files?

Kathleen Fisher

May 8, 2008, 4:44:16 PM5/8/08
to cu...@googlegroups.com
I don't know. I'll see if I can find out.
Kathleen

rory.w...@gmail.com

May 27, 2008, 4:59:06 PM5/27/08
to CUFP
Is it just me, or is the video size unbelieveably small?? Is there any
way to download the movie, or see it in YouTube/Google Video?

On May 1, 9:46 pm, Kathleen Fisher <kathleen.fis...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> At long last, the videos recorded at CUFP 2007 have been posted in the
> ACM Digital Library. You can find them either by searching for "CUFP"
> at the top level DL page or by using this link:
>
> http://portal.acm.org/toc.cfm?id=1362702&coll=ACM&dl=ACM&type=proceed...

Kathleen Fisher

May 27, 2008, 5:01:47 PM5/27/08
to cu...@googlegroups.com, Peter Thiemann
We are working on getting the video posted into YouTube/Google Video
as well.
Kathleen

Grant Rettke

May 27, 2008, 9:10:33 PM5/27/08
to CUFP
On May 27, 3:59 pm, "rory.wins...@gmail.com" <rory.wins...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Is it just me, or is the video size unbelieveably small?? Is there any
> way to download the movie, or see it in YouTube/Google Video?

They are tiny.