Linux: makefile, install and x86_64

Jeffrey Walton

Oct 12, 2010, 11:59:54 PM10/12/10
to Crypto++ Users
Hi Wei,

I've never observed any adverse effect from installing to just
/usr/lib on x64 platforms. I could not find a x86_64 HowTo (neither
could a lot of other folks). But I wanted to pass on what the Debian
folks are doing in case you wanted to tweak the makefile.

Debian installs 64 bit versions of libcrypto++.a and libcrypto++.so in
both /usr/lib and /usr/lib64.

The commands of interest and results at
http://www.cryptopp.com/wiki/Linux#x86_vs_x64.

Jeff

By the way, Debian places cryptest.exe's test vectors and data in
/usr/share. Jens Peter Secher, packackeage maintainer at Debian,
discussed their method at
http://groups.google.com/group/cryptopp-users/browse_thread/thread/6fe2192340f07e5d/7edd5084ac06417e.

jeffrey@studio:~$ ls /usr/share/crypto++
TestData TestVectors

alekcey

Oct 13, 2010, 8:08:52 AM10/13/10
to Crypto++ Users
Instead of GNUmakefile in Fedora autotools patch used that creates
autotools files Makefile.am and configure.ac. Makefile created by
running ./configure.
http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/gitweb/?p=cryptopp.git;a=blob_plain;f=cryptopp-5.6.1-autotools.patch;hb=HEAD

Fedora packaging guidelines tells to avoid installing static libs.
So, --disable-static used when running ./configure and libcryptopp.a
is not installed.
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Guidelines#Packaging_Static_Libraries

Packages for x86_64 architecture are built independently from i686.
For i686 parameter --libdir=/usr/lib used when running ./configure,
and --libdir=/usr/lib64 for x86_64.
See build logs:
http://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org/packages/cryptopp/5.6.1/1.fc15/data/logs/i686/build.log
http://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org/packages/cryptopp/5.6.1/1.fc15/data/logs/x86_64/build.log

There is no TestVectors in Fedora packages at this moment, so may be
Debian's method in Fedora can be used.