Coworking in LA?

heather...@gmail.com

Apr 5, 2007, 1:38:06 PM4/5/07
to Coworking
I'm coming out of lurker mode. Anyone on this list in LA and want to
jumpstart a coworking space? I see a few people interested on the
wiki, but so far nothing is really happening (that I know of). I'd
like to get out of my house once in a while...

Anyone?

-Heather

Harold Johnson

Apr 10, 2007, 10:23:27 PM4/10/07
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
I would be game if I was in a stable enough financial situation, but
for the time being I've gotta keep camping at Starbuck's. Unurban's
not a terrible place to hang, either, though the wifi leaves much to
be desired.
Good luck & let us know how things go. Maybe I'll luck out & find
myself gainfully employed again.
Harold

matbalez

Apr 12, 2007, 12:58:38 PM4/12/07
to Coworking
I was recently visiting LA, and Lost Souls cafe seemed to be a pretty
good spot with a coworking-esque vibe...

Mat

On Apr 10, 10:23 pm, "Harold Johnson" <harold.john...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I would be game if I was in a stable enough financial situation, but
> for the time being I've gotta keep camping at Starbuck's. Unurban's
> not a terrible place to hang, either, though the wifi leaves much to
> be desired.
> Good luck & let us know how things go. Maybe I'll luck out & find
> myself gainfully employed again.
> Harold

Harold Johnson

Apr 16, 2007, 4:28:38 PM4/16/07
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Where's that located, Mat? I'm not sure I've seen that cafe (or it
listed anywhere)...

Harold

Mat Balez

Apr 17, 2007, 10:12:56 AM4/17/07
to Coworking
Here's the Yelp page for Lost Souls:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/enVUao63LTkqTYMJRoShMg

Enjoy! :)

On Apr 16, 4:28 pm, "Harold Johnson" <harold.john...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Where's that located, Mat? I'm not sure I've seen that cafe (or it
> listed anywhere)...
>
> Harold

Harold Johnson

Apr 19, 2007, 1:58:30 PM4/19/07
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Thank you, Mat.

Harold

Harold Johnson

Apr 19, 2007, 7:15:06 PM4/19/07
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
There's this place I've been coming to off and on for a few years, the
UnUrban Coffeehouse in West L.A. (on Pico & Urban). I stopped in
today, and like many afternoons, the place is quiet. I asked the
barista how business was, and she said something to the extent of,
"not so great in the daytime". She went on to say that the space's
rent had just gone up another $500; some of the local businesses had
recently shut down, probably due to the either the elevating rent
and/or lack of interest. (For example, a once-popular record store
just closed.)

Anyway, I've been thinking for some time now that this would be a
great place to begin a coworking arrangement of some sort. The place
is cozy, dressed like a funky home. You know: Mismatched furniture,
bookcases, chinese lamps, ceiling fans, table lamps of various sizes
and shapes, a small stage with an old piano and speakers mounted on
the ceiling...There's even a few rows of movie or playhouse seats,
perfect for viewings.

And, of course, good coffee and treats, and free WiFi.

I believe the owner would be willing to make some type of arrangement
to allow us to cowork here. I know they've already got AA Meetings in
the early mornings (around 7am), 7 days of the week. Since business
is slow after noon (until the evenings, when they have a long-running
Open Mic every night), perhaps we could arrange something for the
mid-afternoons. I was looking for a nice, un-Starbuck-like place to
settle this afernoon, and I found just what I was looking for.
There's both dark and light areas in here, so you can even take a nap
or relax in quiet in one room, or hang in the daylight in the othere.
Lots of open air.

Unfortunately, I fear this place won't be around too much longer if
they don't generate some type of extra income. With some of us
looking for a space to hang (and work), the UnUrban could be just the
place for perfect partnership. Open your favorite search engine to
find a few articles about the place - but also swing by sometime,
check it out, so that you get a real feel for the place. It's just
down the street from Santa Monic College, just up the street from
Ocean Park.

Here's one article:
http://www.thelamusicscene.com/clubs/unurban/index.php3

Harold

Tara Hunt

Apr 19, 2007, 7:40:54 PM4/19/07
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Harold,

Have you put this stuff on the wiki? This is a wealth of information!

co-founder & CMO
Citizen Agency (www.citizenagency.com)
blog: www.horsepigcow.com
phone: 415-694-1951
fax: 415-727-5335

Harold Johnson

Apr 20, 2007, 11:52:34 AM4/20/07
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Didn't even think to; thanks for the suggestion, Tara, I'll do that later today.

Harold

heather...@gmail.com

Apr 20, 2007, 5:11:27 PM4/20/07
to Coworking
I just remembered there was kind of a co-working type environment set
up at Little Radio (where we host BarcampLA)

http://littleradioev.com/faq.php
http://littleradioev.com/about.php
http://barcamp.org/BarcampLA-3

I'm trying to get more info as I can find next to nothing online. I
know they have spots (like cabanas), but not sure if they are all
full. They are slightly south of downtown, off the 10/Alameda exit, so
not close to west side at all. I am in Hollywood, so prefer something
around this area.

Also, I host the monthly geek dinners here in LA... would some LA
coworkers want to come to the one next week and meet face to face and
kick start co-working LA?
Details and RSVP here: http://barcamp.org/BarCampLA-Geek12
Note if you are coming for/because of co-working.

Maybe see you there,

-Heather

On Apr 5, 10:38 am, "puiss...@heathervescent.com"

Harold Johnson

Apr 20, 2007, 5:28:32 PM4/20/07
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Heather,

Just want to chime in so that you know someone's reading you. Even
though I'm not currently able to contribute any finances to a
co-working space, I'm interested in the concept and hope to be able to
contribute (my money) in the future. (For now, I'm contributing by
posting info. about a potential space I have in mind.)

Anyway, thanks for letting us know about the Little Radio location.
I'm partial to the westside, myself, since I don't have a working
vehicle, but perhaps we can talk about it some more at the Twiistup
event (which my girlfriend and I will be attending, looking forward to
meeting videoblogger Markus Sandy and others).

Harold

Chris Messina

Apr 22, 2007, 3:12:56 PM4/22/07
to cowo...@googlegroups.com