Corporate sponsored coworking? (ING in Toronto)

Aliza

Apr 26, 2012, 5:46:43 PM4/26/12
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Hey everyone,

The ING coworking space in Toronto just came through my Google Alerts:

I'm really impressed by the design and non-profit focused cafe, as well as the fact that they let community groups use the meeting space. I'm curious how popular the space is... how much "community" there really is there... and what the general public's take on the space is. Can anyone up in Toronto speak to this?

Thanks!

Aliza Schlabach
Founder, Coworking for Parents

rachel young

Apr 27, 2012, 9:47:30 AM4/27/12
to cowo...@googlegroups.com

They don't actually use the term coworking, and I'm glad they don't.  Others including media do call them coworking, but without an actively engaging  community, they are just a business centre.

There isn't much community there at all. There are some people  that go there with some regularity, but from what I understand one can't use the space for more than 40hrs/mo (that's not a lot to run a business!) and with that low frequency and high turnover it is hard to really get to know your coworkers, much like a cafe. They aren't coworking, they are work space with services, much like an executive suite or business centre.

I had a personal connection with one of their senior managers who was developing the space though he didn't tell me until they were ready to launch, and the space is an 8min walk from our door. A little too close for comfort both personally and in terms of business. When they were about to open they approached us under the guise of wanting to collaborate, but offered nothing that they could do to bring traffic into our space and all what we could do to bring traffic into their space. Our members could hold meetings there, our members could get a discount there, our members could host events there, etc. And I blatantly asked what they could do to bring us traffic, and they were dumbfounded and almost insulted that I would ask such a thing. I actually asked them not to open their space but rather offer some loans or bursaries that the other coworking facilities can access to develop their own spaces, call it sponsorship if they want, but invest in us rather than take away from us, but they weren't open to that idea t all. So much for collaboration.

Over all I've made peace with their existence here. We can change on the fly, innovate around them, do far more for our members on a personal level, and offer an independent space without blasting advertising in their faces every time they enter the space, everywhere they look, and every time they log on to the internet. If people want a coworking experience, they come find the real coworking spaces in Toronto. If people want a fancy workspace without commitment, they can consider going there.

I know that CSI has a relationship with them that seems to work, so maybe Eli or someone else can chime in about that.  To my knowledge they (the bank or the business centre) don't work with any other coworking spaces here in Toronto.
r.

____________________
rachel young
rac...@camaraderie.ca

Find us in person:
Camaraderie
102 Adelaide St E 2nd Floor
Toronto, ON  M5C 1K9

Find us online:
Website/blog and Newsletter

Be in business for yourself, not by yourself!
May 27, 2012 is the next FLCTO.
Stay in the know at http://bit.ly/freelancecampTO

Are you a coworking commitmentphobe?
for a day pass to seven spaces for one price.

Eli Malinsky

Apr 27, 2012, 12:14:58 PM4/27/12
to Coworking
Hey all

Yeah, I/we do have experience with them. Ours has been more positive
than Rachel's - though they obviously didn't find ways to make a good
contribution to her space or to the "movement" in Toronto overall, and
that in itself may say something. I've actually spent almost no time
in their space, so don;t know the degree to which they are trying to
build community and otherwise exemplify the 'spirit' of coworking.

In their defence, I will say that they have put together a lot of
programs in support of social and charitable ventures. They've baked
in some very green practices and find ways to bring programs and
support to entrepreneurs and social ventures. For a big bank, they
really are quite creative, flexible, and engaged on the community
level in Toronto.

In terms of public perceptions - to be honest, most people probably
don;t know anything about it, just as most people don;t know anything
about coworking. They have a very visible and attractive space on one
of Toronto's busiest strips, so I'm sure it's been a good marketing
play. But I agree with Rachel - I don;t think they would really call
themselves a coworking space or identify with the movement. They are a
hybrid and, all in all, an interesting addition to this emerging and
multi-faceted field.

My two cents...

:-)

Eli Malinsky
Centre for Social Innovation
Toronto, Canada

Aliza Torok Schlabach

Apr 27, 2012, 1:01:08 PM4/27/12
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Rachel and Eli for taking the time to share your insight!