When coworking isn't really coworking

Angel Kwiatkowski

Jan 26, 2012, 4:04:05 PM1/26/12
to Coworking
This came across my google alerts yesterday and I found it fascinating
http://www.builtinchicago.org/profiles/blogs/when-coworking-fails-and-the-side-effects-on-the-community?xg_source=activity.
It's basically one person's story of wanting to be a part of a
community, finding a "coworking" space and then realizing that there
was no community at all. :(

We've had a lot of discussion around executive centers branding
themselves as coworking spots and there are plenty of emotions around
the topic. What sticks out for me in this article is the feeling of
helplessness I had after reading it. How can we encourage the author
to continue to try to find the perfect fit community/coworking space
for his needs? It breaks my heart that he had a bad experience with
the word "coworking."

Additionally, my worst nightmare situation is having a member who felt
this way about Cohere's version of coworking.

Angel

Alex Hillman

Jan 26, 2012, 4:13:51 PM1/26/12
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
I find this more encouraging than not, actually:

1) he knows what he's looking for.
2) he recognized they didn't have it, and moved on.
3) he shared his experience

I don't think this is an isolated incident, and it won't be the last. The fact that people recognize the difference is the best thing we could ask for. I'd say that most people I speak to who don't see the difference have never experienced either, or both. Once they experience one, or the other - they see the difference.

So our job is to make sure they get to have at least one experience, right? If we're lucky, their first experience is us, and it's good. But if not - I don't think all is lost, at least not most of the time.

I think your intuition to reach out as someone who works at another coworking space and say "hey, it's good that you knew what you were looking for - don't give up on that!" is perfect. Do it.

To your worst nightmare: I know that there are people who absolutely hate Indy Hall, and not just because I tend to speak my mind. It's just not a place for them - and that's okay, because there are close to 200 people who love the shit out of this place, and a waiting list out the door of more who want to love the shit out of this place.

If you're pleasing everyone, you're pleasing no-one. The CoworkingSeattle stance of "coworking represents a choice" means that some people will choose "not". It's still a choice, and we gave them a chance to make that choice.

That's worth it to me.

-Alex

/ah
indyhall.org
coworking in philadelphia

Angel

Alex Hillman

Jan 26, 2012, 4:20:09 PM1/26/12
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
I just noticed something that I didn't notice before I replied: he specifically asks for a better option.

"If you know of a good shared space that encourages community, please let me know."

/ah
indyhall.org
coworking in philadelphia

Alex Hillman

Jan 26, 2012, 4:31:06 PM1/26/12
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
I missed you guys, so I'm back for a 3rd post. ;)

Angel's point about people looking for coworking and being disappointed when they find desks but no community is a real one. This doesn't hurt those of us doing a good job, but it will hurt anyone who, as Joel once aptly put, "are selling an empty room full of tables and chairs as a creative, collaborative place to work".

It also reinforces points I've made in the past, and spoken to the crew at LooseCubes, DeskWanted, and others - if you're building a "coworking finder" that doesn't put the emphasis on the people instead of the desks, you're not helping coworking and you might be hurting it.

Seriously, back to work now.

-Alex

/ah
indyhall.org
coworking in philadelphia

Angel Kwiatkowski

Jan 26, 2012, 4:38:28 PM1/26/12
to Coworking
/ah, you crack me up.

On Jan 26, 2:31 pm, Alex Hillman <dangerouslyawes...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> >> But if not - I don't think all is lost, at least not most of the time.
>
> >> I think your intuition to reach out as someone who works at another
> >> coworking space and say "hey, it's good that you knew what you were looking
> >> for - don't give up on that!" is perfect. Do it.
>
> >> *To your worst nightmare*: I know that there are people who absolutely
> >> hate Indy Hall, and not just because I tend to speak my mind. It's just not
> >> a place for them - and that's okay, because there are close to 200 people
> >> who love the shit out of this place, and a waiting list out the door of
> >> more who want to love the shit out of this place.
>
> >> If you're pleasing everyone, you're pleasing no-one. The CoworkingSeattle
> >> stance of "coworking represents a choice" means that some people will
> >> choose "not". It's still a choice, and we gave them a chance to make that

Veel Hoeden- Where Many Hats Meet!

Jan 26, 2012, 4:39:29 PM1/26/12
to cowo...@googlegroups.com

Alex- Dead on.  To steal a variation on a Bill Clinton one liner... "It's the community, stupid."

Thanks & God Bless,

Joel Bennett

Chief Dreamchaser

Veel Hoeden

641-780-7858

veelhoeden.posterous.com

Join Us on Facebook!

Follow us on Twitter

image001.png

Chad Ballantyne

Jan 26, 2012, 5:22:54 PM1/26/12
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
This is a great challenge to all and one of the reasons we are working on changing our member listing to faces and stories rather than just logos and links.

Chad Ballantyne
The Creative Space Director

d...@cocomsp.com

Jan 26, 2012, 5:49:58 PM1/26/12
to Coworking
This was helplful for me to read, Alex. We've been dealing with some
members who are unhappy that all meeting rooms and event spaces are
not available all the time free of charge. There is a strong "serve
me" mentality creeping in. Last straw, though, was the recent
complaints that our filtered water doesn't taste good enough and is at
the far end of the space, requiring a brisk (and healthy, I might add)
walk. So, we're getting ready to have a come to Don and Kyle momment
in which we'l clarify that many aspects of the coworking experience is
DIY. So, no Perrier. No backrubs by the host, etc. This will be a
bummer for some folks and they just might begin to check out. Which
will be fine, because for every person with a "how can you serve me?"
mentality who leaves, we usually get two with a mindset of "what can I
do for the community?"

Alex Hillman

Jan 26, 2012, 5:56:10 PM1/26/12
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
No backrubs? Hogwash!!! THIS IS AMERICA!!!

;)

/ah
indyhall.org
coworking in philadelphia

Tony Bacigalupo

Jan 26, 2012, 6:00:38 PM1/26/12
to cowo...@googlegroups.com

> Which will be fine, because for every person with a "how can you serve me?"
> mentality who leaves, we usually get two with a mindset of "what can I
> do for the community?"

[Tiny Tower analogy redacted]

Bingo, the challenge is how to set expectations differently for the next people who walk in the door. Is it a matter of some people just being a bad fit, or an opportunity to improve the onboarding process?

Susan Evans

Jan 26, 2012, 6:07:37 PM1/26/12
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
That guy sounds like he'd make an *awesome* community cultivator at the coworking space he opens up. I hope he gets inspired to build something better!*

*that is my favorite part about the simplicity and fluidity of coworking. Can't find a space that suits you? Create your own, or get yer Jelly on!
__
Office Nomads
officenomads.com
206-484-5859

Alex Hillman

Jan 26, 2012, 6:07:36 PM1/26/12
to cowo...@googlegroups.com

Bingo, the challenge is how to set expectations differently for the next people who walk in the door. Is it a matter of some people just being a bad fit, or an opportunity to improve the onboarding process?

A little from column A, a little from column B, methinks.

Our newest office manager, Adam, has really stepped up the game on when giving tours - even before there's talk of membership - he's pointing out and demonstrating elements of DIY and community at every step. We've already seen a noticeable improvement in some known problem areas - and we're planning on continuing his technique to help fix other remaining problem areas...like the kitchen :) fingers crossed.

-Alex

d...@cocomsp.com

Jan 26, 2012, 6:15:50 PM1/26/12
to Coworking
Double bingo, Tony!

Angel Kwiatkowski

Jan 26, 2012, 6:26:08 PM1/26/12
to Coworking
I'm such a huge fan of letting members do the implementing when they
have ideas that go beyond basic infrastructure. Here are some recent
things they've asked me and my responses...
"we want to do a swap meet at Cohere, is that okay with you?"
----"yes, I love it, just reserve the conference room for the date/
time you want to do it"
"we think it would be neat to have 4 community bikes that people could
check out"----"me too, go for it!"
"I really want a towel rack in the new bathroom"----"I will install
that today"

:)

Alex Hillman

Jan 27, 2012, 10:16:42 AM1/27/12
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
I haven't heard the words "social capital" on this list in a long time, it's good to have them back. One of my favorite topics, with a big hat tip to Tara Hunt & Chris Messina for my introduction to this in the olden days of coworking.

I love Trek's simple equation, it's one I personally live by as well and has done well for me. In coworking, it manifests in lots of other ways, too. One thing we actively work on at Indy Hall is making sure it's a place to DO work, not a place to GET work. Not to say that people can't find or get work within a coworking space - in fact we all know it happens and happens a lot. But members who show up with the express desire, or worse, the express NEED for work, tend to find less of what they want. It's like trying to withdraw from a new bank account that you haven't made a deposit into yet.

It's the people who contribute before they take (make a deposit before a withdrawl) that get the most.

Teach a skill. Share a lunch conversation. Recommend a book or article. Simple stuff pays back 10-fold. This is the kind of stuff that Angel mentions, and why it's not only so much more fun but why it makes a richer experience.

All of that said, within social capital, there are also two kinds to consider and balance: bridging capital and bonding capital.

Bridging social capital is accumulated between heterogeneous groups, and bonding social capital is accumulated between homogeneous groups.

There are negative consequences of too much bonding capital:
  • exclusion of outsiders
  • burdons imposed on group members
  • increased pressure to "fit in"
  • a trend towards lowest common denominator social norms
Basically? Cool kids clubs are their own worst enemies, and many coworking spaces have the same problem.

Luckily the antidote is simple: balance bonding capital with bridging capital.

Think of it like diversifying investments. You (and your members) want to diversify your social capital across the coworking space and it's members - but actively encouraging people to invest their social capital in other neighboring groups as well is often  overlooked.

Protip: this practice can start long before you open a coworking space - and if put into practice on this list by more people, would make it a better place for everyone!. :)

-Alex

/ah
indyhall.org
coworking in philadelphia

On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 9:47 AM, Tom Brandt <twbr...@gmail.com> wrote:
At Workantile it took us a while to get what we say during tours perfected, but we have learned to tell people right off the bat that we are membership organization of independent and remote workers, and then go on to explain the social and community aspects of Workantile. if someone says the word "rent", we cut them off almost immediately because that word is a clue that the don't quite get what it is. Our retention rate has improved significantly since we started explaining what Workantile is correctly right off the bat, because people looking for something else don't join.

One of the concepts my colleague Trek Glowacki emphasizes is "social capital" and "social debt". You accumulate social capital by contributing to the community and social debt by detracting from it. If your social debt exceeds your social capital, you are probably not worth retaining as a member. Most of our members have built up huge amounts of social capital, so we are in a good place there.
--
twb
member, Workantile Exchange

Veel Hoeden- Where Many Hats Meet!

Jan 27, 2012, 10:24:30 AM1/27/12
to cowo...@googlegroups.com

This is why I got into coworking in the first place.  This is what keeps me in coworking today.  This is why I continue to build a future for it tomorrow.

Here's to putting in more than we take out today... cheers!

Thanks & God Bless,

Joel Bennett

Chief Dreamchaser

Veel Hoeden

641-780-7858

veelhoeden.posterous.com

Join Us on Facebook!

Follow us on Twitter

[...]

Tom Brandt

Jan 27, 2012, 1:12:47 PM1/27/12
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
I love the distinction between bonding and bridging capital. Thanks for that.

Alex Hillman

Jan 27, 2012, 1:19:07 PM1/27/12
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the inspiration. Y'all been blogified, for easier sharing & reference.

/ah
indyhall.org
coworking in philadelphia

Joshua Frank

Feb 2, 2012, 5:52:55 PM2/2/12
to Coworking
I've been a fan and in-person, vocal proponent of coworking for a few
years; now I have the chance to actually be a member and contributor
in a coworking community. I am now a member of coLab Evanston, a great
new coworking space that opened October 2011 just a mile north of the
Chicago border. I am pitching in as a Community Manager here.

I'm catching up on my daily digests, but this one was forwarded to me
by one of our co-owners. I immediately reached out to Tomas on his
blog and Twitter account. We're not a good fit at coLab due to
location, but I was able to refer him to The COOP, which is right on
the Brown Line where Tomas was looking.

It is great to be able to jump in and say, "Hey, you're looking for
community and got burned; we're building community and want people
like you with us for the ride."

And thanks to Angel and the others who also jumped in to encourage
Tomas to keep looking.

Josh Frank
Community Manager
http://colabevanston.com