COSATU Media Monitor, 11 August 2010

Mluleki Mntungwa

Aug 11, 2010, 5:10:51 AM8/11/10
to cosatu-d...@googlegroups.com

 Wednesday 11 August 2010

Contents

1.     Public Service Strike

1.1 Late talks put off big strike

1.2 Howls as Vavi takes swipe at Zuma's pay

1.3 Solution today or indefinite strike for state

1.4 Public servants not budging from 8,6percent salary increase demand

1.5 Patients suffer as staff attend rallies

1.6 Schools hard-hit by strike

1.7 Teachers idle as pupils stay away

1.8 War of SA's classes

1.9 White teacher on strike for 'future of children'

1.10 Matrics to go to camp

2.     Workers

2.1 Now E Cape braces for auto workers strike

2.2 Firm wins case over docs’ sick notes

2.3 Employed in SA down by 8,1 percent

3.     South Africa

3.1 A bitter Jay Naidoo hauls out some archival dirt

3.2 Youth league man drops court action

3.3 'Areas of concern' in mining - ANC

3.4 Youth league hits out at ANC for querying nationalisation

3.5 Zuma's son involved in R9bn BEE deal

3.6 Attractive women overlooked for certain jobs?

3.7 Zuma heckled at ANC imbizo

3.8 Once a sacrifice, ANC office now about money

3.9 Outrage at the 'brazen abuse of public office' by officials

4.     Media Tribunal

4.1 Media tribunal not 'an instrument to punish'

4.2 Media, ANC square off

4.3 ANC denies targeting newspapers, Cele has unresolved issues with media

4.4 Editor’s Dispatch

4.5 Media are to blame, not the ANC

4.6 Tribunal a bid to keep lid on top-level rot

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

1.   Public Service Strike

1.1 Late talks put off big strike

Vusi Xaba and Gertrude Makhafola, Sowetan, 11 August 2010

LAST-DITCH talks between labour and government last night put on hold plans for 'the mother of all strikes' from tomorrow.

Cosatu affiliated unions - Federation Unions of SA and Public Servants Association (PSA) - had earlier yesterday issued government with an ultimatum.

The coalition, through Cosatu strike organiser Sifiso Khumalo, had warned that the country would see its biggest strike within 48 hours if their demands were not met.

The unions are demanding 8,6 percent salary hike. Minister of Public Service and Administration, Richard Baloyi last week increased the wage offer from 6,5 percent to 7 percent and housing subsidy from R620 to R630. The unions are demanding R1000 housing subsidy.

Unions yesterday had a one-day strike to show government they would not back down. Thousands of workers marched to the Union Building in Pretoria and Parliament in Cape Town to show the Government what would happen if they went on a full-blown strike.

Having served a 48-hour strike notice, Khumalo said all plans were in place to bring the country to a standstill.

But after last night’s meeting, chairperson of the Independent Labour Caucus Chris Klopper and National Health and Allied Workers Union ’s Sizwe Pamla said there would be no strike tomorrow.

“Government asked for a postponement to Thursday at 6pm, but they did not give reasons,” said Klopper. Pamla said: “We ’ll wait for them until Thursday.” PSA spokesperson Manie de Clercq said they were happy with the industrial action yesterday.

“The attendance was good. We are not sure how many people turned up but the estimation is that 15 000 attended in Pretoria and 10 000 in Cape Town,” De Clercq said.

“The purpose was not to cause damage but to show the government what would happen if we had to go on a full-blown strike.” Baloyi ’s spokesperson Dumisani Nkwamba could not say whether the government was under pressure after yesterday’s marches, but confirmed that it was worried about what would happen if the unions were to call an indefinite strike .

“That is why the minister is calling on unions to tell their members to go to work tomorrow (today).”

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

1.2 Howls as Vavi takes swipe at Zuma's pay

Sowetan, 11 August 2010

COSATU general secretary Zwelinzima took a potshot at President Jacob Zuma's salary as striking civil servants protested outside the gates of Parliament yesterday.

And a minister. Do you know how much they earn? R143,000 a month.

"I asked the president a while ago what he is earning," Vavi said.

"If my memory serves me right he is earning more than R2,2 million," he said to howls from the crowd.

Parliament voted last year to increase Zuma's annual salary package to R2,254 million, of which 60 percent would be his basic salary.

In 2009 Zuma trimmed the annual increase for MPs, ministers, judges and traditional leaders and accepted an increase for himself that was R21000 below official recommendations.

A line of police with riot shields guarded the entrance to Parliament as Vavi outlined public servants' demands.

"We are asking for 8,6 percent only. We are asking for a mere R1000 a month for a housing allowance. This is peanuts comrades."

Vavi drew cheers from the protesters as he shouted out salaries earned by public sector workers such as nurses, doctors and police.

"The minimum wage of a police officer is R7,000 a month.

"Correctional services workers earn only R7,050.

"A prosecutor who makes sure criminals are found guilty and pay for their deeds earns only R9,723 a month.

"A magistrate earns R15,732 for reading all those law books and summarising all those cases."

The crowd jeered and groaned when Vavi read out the salaries of directors general of government departments and ministers.

"Now listen to this comrades ... The directors general, the ones on the top of the public service, are earning over R100,000 a month.

"And a minister. Do you know how much they earn? R143,000 a month."

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

1.3 Solution today or indefinite strike for state

LUPHERT CHILWANE Business Day, 11 August 2010

THE government and public sector unions went back to the negotiating table last night after a nationwide strike, which saw several government departments plunged into chaos yesterday.

The unions have threatened that if Public Service and Administration Minister Richard Baloyi does not resolve the wage dispute within 24 hours, the country will face an indefinite strike that could deal a blow to its education and health sectors and the economy overall.

Adding fuel to the flames, Congress of South African Trade Unions (Cosatu) general secretary Zwelinzima Vavi took a potshot at President Jacob Zuma ’s salary, as striking public servants protested outside Parliament yesterday .

“I asked the p resident a while ago what he is earning . If my memory serves me right, he is earning more than R2,2m,” Mr Vavi said to a howl of disapproval from the crowd.

Parliament voted last year to increase Mr Zuma’s annual salary package to R2,254m , of which 60% would be his basic salary.

“We are asking for 8,6% only. We are asking for a mere R1000 a month for a housing allowance. This is peanuts, comrades.”

Mr Vavi drew cheers from the protesters as he shouted out salaries earned by public sector workers such as nurses, doctors and police.

“The minimum wage of a police officer is R7000 a month. All that risk-taking to make us feel safe for a mere R7000 a month; a prosecutor who makes sure criminals are found guilty and pay for their deeds, earns only R9723 a month. ”

The crowd jeered and groaned when Mr Vavi read out the salaries of directors-general of government departments and ministers.

“Now listen to this, comrades: t he directors-general, the ones on the top of the public service, are earning over R100000 a month. And a minister. Do you know how much they earn? (They earn) R143000 a month. How do our leaders speak or sleep with conscience and wake up, with the statistics I read to you?”

Chris Klopper, spokesman for the Independent Labour Caucus, said the minister called a meeting immediately after receiving a memorandum in Pretoria.

“As government, we are applying our minds to this matter and will respond to the demands as a matter of urgency,” Mr Baloyi said after accepting the memorandum

The unions rejected the government’s revised offer of a 7% wage increase — up from 6,5% — and a monthly housing allowance of R630. They seek an 8,6% increase and a housing allowance of R1000.

Department of Health spokesman Fidel Hadebe said if the strike continues, the department will refer patients to less affected hospitals.

Department of Home Affairs spokesman Ronnie Mamoepa said only 1191 out of 10 735 employees participated in the strike. Sapa

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

1.4 Public servants not budging from 8,6percent salary increase demand

Sne Masuku and Alex Matlala, Sowetan, 11 August 2010

THOUSANDS of government employees belonging to unions affiliated to Cosatu gathered at the Durban City Hall yesterday.

The unions were mobilising for what they have described as the "mother of all strikes" - expected to start tomorrow if talks fail.

Sadtu members, supported by a few nurses and police officers, gave the government an ultimatum to give in to their demands of a 8,6percent salary hike and a R1000 housing allowance "or everything would come to a standstill on Wednesday".

Teachers also threatened to close down all private schools and former model C schools, which are not taking part in the marches.

At the Mahatma Ghandhi and King Edward hospitals a few staff members picketed during the lunch hour but later went back to work.

In Limpopo the situation nearly got out of hand when thousands of workers refused to hand over their memorandum to local government and housing MEC Soviet Lekganyane.

The workers demanded that Premier Cassel Mathale should receive it.

Mathale was, however, not available as he was addressing a Women's Month event outside Polokwane.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

1.5 Patients suffer as staff attend rallies

Dispatch, 11 August 2010

PATIENTS bore the brunt of a public service sector strike as hospitals and clinics ran on skeleton staff. Thousands of civil servants across the province braved chilly wet weather yesterday, protesting against the government’s salary increases and housing allowances offer.

Patients in some East London public health centres were left stranded as nurses abandoned their posts.

They left skeleton staff at some institutions and explained they were also civil servants and would not sit back while their colleagues demonstrated their unhappiness.

“We are part and parcel of the public sector and Cosatu, and we are not excited by government’s offer,” Democratic Nurses Organisation (Denosa) provincial secretary, Koliswa Tota, said .

However, Health Department spokesperson Sizwe Kupelo denied that the strike had any negative impact on public health facilities.

He said any reported incidents could not be linked to the strike.

“There was very minimal disturbance; things ran smoothly and we had no reports of a halt in service delivery,” he said.

At the usually bustling Empilweni Gompo Community Health Centre the atmosphere was eerily quiet as patients gave up and went home.

A few patients stuck around in the hope they would be attended to.

“I was off sick yesterday and didn’t go to work today,” Duncan Village resident Simphiwe Twasa said.

He said he had watched other patients giving up and leaving after 10am, but that was not an option for him.

“If I do not produce a sick note to my boss I will lose my job.”

Nkosinoxolo Fumanisa , who had brought her three-year-old son in for a check-up on stitches on his head, worried that if not seen yesterday, he could develop an infection.

“I brought him here after he fell on Saturday, and after they stitched him up they told me to come back today.”

At Cecilia Makiwane Hospital in Mdantsane the casualty section was as busy as usual, but patients told of long waits they had endured, until a team of workers attended to them just before noon.

“We could not leave with our sick mother, so we waited in the hope that someone would attend to us,” Lizwi Mahlasela said.

The family and others said they had been asked to find their own folders among a pile on the floor.

Kupelo said: “There was a monitoring team ready to step in if problems arose.”

Meanwhile Denosa members said there was only a skeleton staff working at the Nelson Mandela Hospital Complex in Mthatha and Bhisho Hospital.

In what was the first wave of planned national strike action driven by Cosatu, public servants gathered in Bhisho, Port Elizabeth, Mthatha, and Queenstown, where they delivered petitions laying down their ultimatums.

In the main, the workers are demanding an 8.6 percent wage increase, plus R1000 housing allowance, and the equalisation of medical aid subsidies.

Until now government has remained adamant it would not budge from its offer of seven percent and a R630 housing allowance.

In Bhisho more than 5000 workers gathered near the Bhisho Stadium where they were addressed by Police and Prisons Civil Rights Union (Popcru) deputy president Nkosinathi Mabhida .

From there they made their way to Premier Noxolo Kiviet’s office, where they were met by Transport MEC Gloria Barry, who accepted their memorandum on behalf of Kiviet who was accompanying President Jacob Zuma to Butterworth on ANC business.

Reading from the memorandum Mabhida said they were giving government until the end of today to address their demands, otherwise the strike would carry on indefinitely.

In Mthatha thousands of striking workers marched through the streets, bringing traffic, and road works, to a halt.

The noise of blaring vuvuzelas and police sirens could be heard from afar as the striking workers demonstrated and chanted struggle songs.

They marched to the Botha Sigcau Building where the provincial secretary of the National Education, Health and Allied Workers’ Union (Nehawu), Xolani Malamlela, handed over a petition to Department of Human Settlements MEC Nombulelo Mabandla

Mabandla had to plead with the protestors . “Do not shoot the messenger, I am just a messenger of government,” she said.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

1.6 Schools hard-hit by strike

NEWS24, 11 August 2010

Johannesburg – Millions of pupils were in the streets or at home on Tuesday due to the country-wide strike. Many of the schools Beeld visited were deserted.

This happened despite the fact that the department of basic education said last week that public schools would be open, reports Alet Rademeyer.

Enquiries showed that the situation varied between schools.

At most of the schools, a handful of staff watched over a small number of pupils.

At some schools, pupils did arrive, but returned home when they saw there would be no teaching.

There were also exceptions such as Garsfontein High School in Pretoria, where all the teachers and all the pupils showed up.

Dirk van Zyl, the principal, said the staff had determined by vote earlier that nobody wanted to strike. Some of them feel they can’t waste a day with matric exams around the corner.

Most schools deserted

In Mamelodi, east of Pretoria, many pupils were in the streets while nothing went on at their schools. Pontsho Papo and Nkagiseng Skosana, pupils at the Boi-kgantsho Primary School, said very few pupils and only three teachers had showed up on Tuesday.

In Limpopo, most schools were deserted, reports Marietie Louw-Carstens.

Hundreds of government employees left for Pretoria on Monday to participate in Tuesday’s march.

In Mpumalanga there was no teaching whatsoever at any of the more than 1 300 public schools.

Buks Viljoen reports that a few high schools and primary schools in larger places like Nelspruit, Middelburg and Secunda were open, but only because parents were unable to make other arrangements for their children.

A principal from Mpumalanga, who wanted to remain anonymous, said they are not in favour of the strike, but neither are they willing to be subjected to intimidation as they were in the past when they didn’t want to strike.

Susan Cilliers reports in the North West that most teachers were on strike and that there was no teaching at many schools. At some schools, such as Delareyville Primary School, no teachers or pupils whatsoever showed up.

Principals from other schools said some departmental teachers had not gone on strike because it’s “against their principles”.

Mbuyiseni Mathonsi, provincial secretary of teachers’ union Sadtu in KwaZulu-Natal, said most of the 6 000 public schools were closed due to the strike, reports Dries Liebenberg.

About 55 000 of the union’s 60 000 members in this province stayed away on Tuesday.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

1.7 Teachers idle as pupils stay away

Olebogeng Molatlhwa and Zinhle Mapumulo, Sowetan, 11 August 2010

The roles were reversed at Ahmed Timol Secondary School, west of Johannesburg, when pupils failed to show up for classes while all but three teachers attended school yesterday morning.

Only one teacher attended yesterday's march in Pretoria, while two teachers called in sick.

Only "nine percent" of pupils came to school.

Deputy principal Asmal Khan told Sowetan that "95 percent" of the teaching staff were at work yesterday.

The school has 40 teachers.

Khan said the "no work no pay policy" might have encouraged the teacher turnout.

Meanwhile, services at government departments were badly affected by yesterday's stayaway.

About 30 staff members at the Steve Biko Academic Hospital in Pretoria did not report for duty.

Interpreters at the Roode- poort magistrate's court joined the march, causing several postponements.

A skeleton staff at Roode- poort's Home Affairs office helped those collecting IDs, while counters for new ID applications stood empty.

In Soweto the Zola clinic was manned by senior staff.

The matron refused to say how many nurses came to work, but a nurse said: "Many nurses signed the attendance register but later joined the march."

There was disruption at Chris Hani Baragwanth Hospital when six buses entered the premises to pick up workers heading for Pretoria.

Health Department spokesperson Fidel Hadebe said: "We will continue to monitor the impact of the strike on service delivery."

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

1.8 War of SA's classes

By ANDILE NDLOVU and CHARL DU PLESSIS, The Times, 11 August 2010

By last night, the country was on a knife's edge, with 1.3-million public servants preparing to embark on an indefinite strike from tomorrow unless the government improves its wage offer.

Public Services and Administration Minister Richard Baloyi was given until late last night to raise his 7% pay increase offer, 1.6% lower than the amount union federation Cosatu and its affiliates are demanding.

Thousands of protesting workers marched on Pretoria's Union Buildings yesterday as their Cape Town counterparts marched on Parliament.

Cosatu general-secretary Zwelinzima Vavi took a swipe at President Jacob Zuma's salary before a 15000-strong crowd in Cape Town.

"If my memory serves me right, he is earning more than R2.2-million. He has blood just like we do. He has family, a big family, just like we do. Our needs are the same. We want geld. Ons soek geld," Vavi said to cheers.

Vavi contrasted the salaries of civil servants with those of their bosses, saying police officers, "who have seen the eyes of a child rapist", earn a "mere" R7000, and prison guards, "who keep behind bars these red-eyed criminals", earn only R6750.

An entry-level teacher makes R9271 and a nurse's assistant R5053.

"The director-generals, those at the top of the civil service, earn R100000 a month. And a minister, do you know how much they earn? R143000 per month," he said.

Protestors held placards that read "R10 can't even buy a prostitute" and "You take our money to give to Malema to destroy the country".

In his address in Pretoria, lasting less than a minute, Baloyi said the government was "committed to addressing problems".

Police and Prisons Civil Rights Union spokesman Norman Mampane said: "We are not to be blamed if things get out of control while our members are on strike."

Yesterday, Cosatu spokesman Patrick Craven said: "We would hope the government responds positively after the huge turnout by workers, and averts the need for a strike. But the new offer must have a significant improvement."

Craven promised there would be no violence or intimidation by members if the strike went ahead.

Democratic Nursing Organisation of South Africa spokesman Asanda Fongqo said: "We will go on until our demands are met."

As the national Department of Health issued a statement, saying it was monitoring the impact of the strike on hospitals and clinics, nurses at Soweto's Chris Hani Baragwanath Hospital said they feared intimidation.

One nurse said she wore plain clothes yesterday in case she was targeted in her uniform.

Another said: "We want to work, but we can't risk our lives."

Baloyi's spokesman, Dumisani Nkwamba, said the amount the government needed to cover the 8.6% salary increase had not yet been calculated.

"We have a problem already because we would have run short by R3.7-billion if the current [7%] offer was accepted," he said.

Besides an 8.6% increase, civil servants are also demanding a R1000 housing allowance, while government is offering R630.

South African Democratic Teachers' Union spokesman Nomusa Cembi said that pupils should today return to their schools, where they would be informed if the strike was going ahead tomorrow. - Additional reporting by Zandile Mbabela and Harriet McLea

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

1.9 White teacher on strike for 'future of children'

By CHARL DU PLESSIS, The Times, 11 August 2010

A white Cape Town teacher, on strike for the first time in her 18-year career, said yesterday she was doing it for the "future of the children".

Embarrassed to reveal how much money she takes home each month, the Grade 7 teacher who asked to be referred to as Laurika, said: "If government thinks an 8.6% increase for teachers is too much, then there is very little hope for the children".

She said that white teachers, known for not participating in strike action, were joining in droves as they felt teachers "came last" when salary increases were dished out.

"A corporal in the army, with no university education, gets only a couple of hundred rand less than me - a teacher with 18 years' experience, four years of university training and a further 18 educational courses."

Naptosa spokesman Ezrah Ramasehla said somebody with 18 to 25 years' experience would probably be earning between R9000 and R11000 a month after deductions.

Laurika said most South Africans did not appreciate how hard teachers worked.

"We don't just work until school closes at a quarter to three, we work on holidays and weekends. This past [Woman's Day] I was sitting marking learners' books," she said.

"It's ridiculous. We don't want to be rich. We just want to be able to live better. Luckily, I have a husband who can help out, but I feel sorry for single teachers who can't even afford a house."

Laurika, who had just snapped pictures of herself and two colleagues among the toyi-toyi-ing crowd, said her first march was "quite exciting".

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

1.10 Matrics to go to camp

Alex Matlala, Sowetan, 11 August 2010

THE Limpopo department of education has decided to move Grade 12 pupils from the troubled Marobathota High School in Boyne, near Moria, to a neutral venue.

The department said yesterday that the pupils would be provided with teachers and curriculum advisers to help them prepare for their end-of-the-year exams.

Departmental spokesperson Pat Kgomo said the move was part of contingency plans to help the pupils regain learning time lost due to a stalemate between teachers and the school governing body.

"But we still have to sell the plan to the parents, who have the final word on the future of their children," Kgomo said.

He said departmental head Benny Boshielo would engage all stakeholders, including the church and parents, on the matter.

"We are currently waiting for a recommendation from the presidency on what needs to be done about the the problems at Marobathota," he said.

"We also want to know what needs to be done to help pupils perform properly during the exams.

"Meanwhile we are waiting for parents' response on moving their children from the school to the learning camps."

 Problems at the school started on April 28 when teachers affiliated to Sadtu clashed with members of the school governing body (SGB) over the running of the school.

This followed the appointment by the SGB of a principal who is also a member of the Zion Christian Church, which owns the school.

Matters came to a head when SGB members barred 16 teachers from entering the school, accusing them of playing truant.

The following day 24 other teachers, in solidarity with their banned colleagues, refused to teach.

Meanwhile, Association of School Governing Bodies, provincial chairperson Hitler Morwatshehla said the national strike by Sadtu members would negatively affect matric pupils in the exams.

"If the strike takes the whole month the pupils will have had six months of no learning and teaching," he said.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

2.   Workers

2.1 Now E Cape braces for auto workers strike

Dispatch, 11 August 2010

WHILE the one-day public servants’ strike may be over temporarily, the Eastern Cape will be hit again today as motor industry workers down tools.

Eastern Cape secretary of the National Union of Metalworkers of South Africa (Numsa), Vuyo Bikitsha, said they expected about 7000 workers in the province to go on strike.

The strike would carry on until “we get the right answers to our demands”.

Bikitsha said about 2000 people would be affected at the Mercedes-Benz South Africa’s manufacturing plant in East London.

This is after last week’s breakdown of talks between Numsa and the Automobile Manufacturing Employer’s Organisation (Ameo).

The union is demanding a wage increase of 15 percent across the board while Ameo is offering seven percent.

“We have been sitting in bargaining since April and May and it seems they are not taking us seriously; we are the ones willing to listen and right now we have no other recourse,” Bikitsha said.

Ameo chairperson Chris Thexton said they were concerned about the strike “given the potential for loss of production volume as well as loss of wages by employees across the seven auto manufacturers in the short term”.

2.2 Firm wins case over docs’ sick notes

By ANDREW STONE, Dispatch, 11 August 2010

AN EAST London company that banned sick notes issued by four city doctors has won an arbitration case after employees went to their union and challenged the firm’s decision.

In the matter between Defy Appliances and the Metal and Engineering Industries Bargaining Council (MEIBC), arbitrator Toby Maré found the company was not obliged to pay sick pay to five employees who had contravened the company’s rules and obtained sick notes from the doctors.

The matter arose after Defy conducted an internal investigation into the issuing of sick notes to its employees by East London doctors, including:

l Dr Siphokazi Sokupa, who practises in North End;

l Dr Xolani Stamper, who practises in the city centre;

l Dr Moses Kabaale, from Mdantsane; and

l Dr Zolile Mqongwana, also from Mdantsane.

In a separate Dispatch investigation earlier this year, the same doctors issued an undercover reporter with sick notes even though she had stated she was not sick and just wanted time off work.

The Dispatch launched a follow-up investigation last month and found that two of the doctors – Sokupa and Stamper – were still issuing such sick notes.

Defy human resources manager, Ian Delport, told the Dispatch that after noticing high levels of absenteeism, the company had, over a six-month period last year, investigated those doctors to whom employees were mostly going .

“We then also looked at which doctors were issuing the most sick leave,” said Delport, adding that the same four doctors topped both lists.

Delport said their investigation had revealed that one city doctor was giving an average of 4.4 sick days per employee when compared to Cecilia Makiwane Hospital, which was only giving an average of 1.3 sick days per person.

The employees were then told the company would no longer accept sick notes from the four doctors.

“But they continued going to see these doctors so we stopped paying sick leave,” said Delport.

The employees then complained to the National Union of Metalworkers of South Africa (Numsa), who in turn went to the MEIBC which later issued Defy with a Compliance Order to pay the outstanding sick leave.

In his ruling Maré set aside the Compliance Order and said the company was not obliged to pay the employees their sick pay.

An elated Delport said the company was extremely pleased with the arbitration award as it vindicated “our view that an employer does not simply have to accept a sick certificate without questioning its authenticity”.

“We will vigilantly continue to monitor the situation and confirm that we are awaiting the outcome of an investigation into the issuing of sick certificates being conducted by the Health Professions Council,” Delport said.

But Nimrod Msila, a Defy employee and Numsa shop steward, said they would take the matter further.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

2.3 Employed in SA down by 8,1 percent

Sowetan, 11 August 2010

THE NUMBER of employed South Africans fell by 8,1percent last month, with the construction and mining sectors the hardest hit, Adcorp said yesterday.

Employment in the construction sector dropped by 13,1percent in July while mining fell by 11,2percent, said Adcorp in its latest Employment Index.

"Reflecting continued weakness in manufacturing, the employment of artisans fell 11,2percent and machine operators 9,6percent," read the index.

The only sector to see an increase of employment was in government employment, which grew by 2,4percent.

However, the index indicated the country might be due for a rise in employment due to an increase in recruitment. The loss of jobs will cease toward the end of 2010, the index claimed.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

3.   South Africa

3.1 A bitter Jay Naidoo hauls out some archival dirt

Don Makatile, Sowetan, 11 August 2010

'I HAD made my choice.' This is what Jay Naidoo, the founding general secretary of trade union federation Cosatu, says about leaving government in his searing and well-written autobiography, Fighting For Justice.

But as you get engrossed in this, the story of his life, it hits you that Naidoo was pushed, he did not jump. And for this he points a finger at the latter-day punching bag, Thabo Mbeki.

Why is the Renaissance Man made into such a monster and vilified at every turn? Could he have been such a blot on the conscience of the party of Luthuli, Tambo, Mandela and Sisulu?

In response to an ANC statement announcing his imminent departure from the scene, Naidoo writes: "The statement noted that my decision to leave public life was 'due to personal and family reasons'."

Indeed this is what the doting father of three and uxorious husband of Lucie Page wants the reader to know when he "made my choice".

One chapter later he flings all the mud at the former commander-in-chief of the armed forces.

"I faced the media. There were many calls and the insinuation was that I had been sidelined. I put up a brave front but was reeling inside. I was really on the sidelines. Politics is unforgiving."

Before his new beginning Naidoo takes the reader into the corridors of power for his meeting with Mbeki. After some small talk the Big Man drops the bombshell: "Hey, chief, you know Ivy Matsepe-Casaburri, the new Minister of Communications, feels you are too senior to be the chair of Telkom."

"Fine," I said. "Though this had been previously mooted as a possibility, I had been half-expecting this response. I thanked him for his time and my parting words were: 'That's no problem. I'll find something else to do. I have a few ideas I have been thinking about.'

"We shook hands and I took my leave. I would not see him one-on-one again."

This is the sound of a bitterly disappointed and angry man - the only blemish in this offering, which is a masterpiece given that autobiographies are almost invariably ego-trips that do nothing for the body of literature.

To show that the fault couldn't possibly have been his, Naidoo hauls out archival dirt.

"Mac (Maharaj) had a hostile relationship with Mbeki."

He quotes Mandela as saying: "I have phoned my president (Mbeki) several times and left messages. I have been told by the cabinet secretary and staff that the president would return my calls. They never came. I am able to speak to presidents across the world but I am unable to speak to my president."

Three chapters down the line he goes for the jugular with this: "It is legendary that Mbeki never once in his tenure as president met (Zwelinzima) Vavi one-on-one, the leader of the largest organisation in our nation's history ..."

The voices that have dominated our eardrums post-Polokwane 2007 have been those maligning the Mbeki legacy.

Let those who shared Mbeki's space and thinking pen their own memoirs so we can make up our minds about what indeed is the gospel truth.

Don't you think so, Mr Mantashe?

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

3.2 Youth league man drops court action

By CHANDRÉ PRINCE, The Times, 11 August 2010

Ousted Limpopo ANC Youth League chairman Lehlogonolo Masoga succumbed to top brass pressure by withdrawing court action at the 11th hour yesterday.

At a meeting last Thursday chaired by Deputy President Kgalema Motlanthe, Masoga was persuaded to abandon his attempt to have his expulsion declared unlawful.

Masoga - who was expelled from the league on July 19 after being found guilty of causing division within the league - lodged an urgent court application last week.

Yesterday morning, his lawyers notified the Johannesburg High Court, which was to have heard the case, that the matter was being removed from the roll.

Masoga was also heeding President Jacob Zuma's call for members not to resort to courts to sort out internal disputes.

Zuma said that the courts were not there when people joined the ANC.

At the meeting at the party's headquarters last week, a special task team set up by the ANC's national working committee "ordered" Masoga to stay away from courts, follow party procedures and stop organising parallel structures in Limpopo.

Masoga said yesterday he had heeded the leadership's call as it promised to take over the process and resolve the matter at a meeting next week.

Masoga was hopeful that the task team - Motlanthe, Fikile Mbalula, Makhenkesi Stofile, Thandi Modise and Dina Pule - would reach an amicable solution that would favour all parties and not backtrack on his show of good faith.

The league's secretary-general, Vuyiswa Tulelo, declined to comment yesterday.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

3.3 'Areas of concern' in mining - ANC

NEWS24, 11 August 2010

Johannesburg - The nationalisation of mines was not necessarily an answer, but there were “areas of concern” in the mining industry, the ruling ANC said in Johannesburg on Tuesday.

“On the nationalisation of mines, let me take a step back and say, ‘that’s the matter the youth league has raised, any branch of the ANC, any region or any province is perfectly entitled to raise a matter on the table for debate’,” Enoch Godongwana, the deputy chairperson of the ANC sub-committee on economic transformation, told a press briefing.

“As to whether that becomes a resolution of conference is a different matter... (but) there are areas of concern in regards to the strategy we’ve adopted in the mining industry,” added Godongwana, who is also deputy public enterprises minister.

He said the government had used the incentive of a licence to get mining houses to subscribe to broad-based black economic empowerment.

“(But) I think that should not necessarily be the only consideration... there should be an overriding national interest.”

He said there were situations that called for a “debate about models of State intervention”.

He cited the example of the Komati power station in Mpumalanga, saying there were mines closer to the station where the government could source coal from.

“The mine next to Komati is (loaded) with coal, but we’ve got to get coal from other areas, surely there should be special circumstances but not necessarily nationalisation.”

The ANC Youth League has repeatedly called for the nationalisation of mines, while the ruling party has tiptoed around the issue.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

3.4 Youth league hits out at ANC for querying nationalisation

Business Report, 11 August 2010

Under the sub-topic "Some debates", and sub-theme "The balance of power and ownership", the ANC national general council (NGC) discussion document on economic transformation released at the end of July says, among other things:

"A specific issue on the table is nationalisation of the mines and of land. Debates on this subject are vexed by the fact that nationalisation takes many different forms. We need to ensure that proposals become more specific about (a) who would end up owning the assets; (b) who would manage them, and with what purpose; (c) what would be the costs to the fiscus and the economy; and (d) what would be the risks of failure as well as the benefits of success.

"The Zambian experience with nationalising the mines points to some of the risks. Zambia nationalised the copper mines, which supplied 90 percent of its exports, in the early 1970s. It ended up hiring back the multinational copper companies to manage them. As international copper prices fell, the companies enjoyed guaranteed management fees while the state had to bear the losses to the mines."

The perspective of the ANC Youth League (ANCYL) on nationalisation of mines released at the beginning of February predicted that some opposing views would be premised on Zambia's case. To that effect, the ANCYL document said:

"The last potential challenge to nationalisation of mines in South Africa will be the lame reference to the failed state-owned copper mines in countries such as Zambia. The Zambian copper mines failed because copper as a strategic commodity in the world economy gradually lost value and significance, and that does not apply to the strategic minerals underneath South Africa."

The four questions raised in the ANC discussion document are substantially dealt with in the ANCYL's perspective on the nationalisation of mines. The resurfacing of these questions validates the argument that the nationalisation discussion, which the ANC agreed to table for the NGC, should pay heed to the ANCYL's perspective.

A closer examination of the debates that arose around nationalisation gives credence to the ANCYL's view that there is no substantial opposition to nationalisation, except that which is premised on ignorance and subjective interests. About these, the league's perspective said:

"The other potential challenge to the nationalisation of mines will come from those who have private interests in mining. These include the established mining corporations and recent past beneficiaries of mining activities. These interests should altogether be dismissed."

The questions raised in the discussion document should still be responded to so there are no doubts left on these questions and all members move in unity towards the actualisation of the Freedom Charter.

a) Who would end up owning the assets?

The ANCYL's view says: "Nationalisation of mines means the democratic government's ownership and control of mining activities, including exploration, extraction, production, processing, trading and beneficiation of mineral resources."

b) Who would manage them, and with what purpose?

The question of who would manage state-owned mines is answered already: the state-owned mining company.

The government revenue generated from taxes will not be able to build better lives for all South Africans. The government cannot solely rely on taxes to deliver better services to the majority of our people. South Africa will not be able to deal with things such as the housing backlog, free education access and employment if we are not in control of key strategic sectors of the economy. The wealth of South Africa should benefit all who live in it.

It is known that ordinary mineworkers in South Africa are underpaid and work under difficult conditions. Nationalised mines should have safer working environments and better conditions, as they will not be in pursuit of profit at the expense of community and human development.

With state ownership and control of mineral resources, South Africa will be able to attract industrial investors, who will contribute to the economy's growth, transfer skills, education and expertise to locals and give them sustainable jobs. It is wrong that most of the minerals we produce are exported.

It is important to note that South Africa bears strong features of all colonial economies. After independence, many if not all post colonial economies continued to function in the same way colonisers designed them - exporters of primary commodities and importers of finished goods.

Nationalised mines ought to lead to a spatial development framework to decentralise development. Areas such as Sekhukhune, Rustenburg, Burgersfort and Emalahleni have far greater economic potential because of their mineral resources.

c) What would be the costs to the fiscus and the economy?

If all of us agree that nationalised mines will serve the purpose outlined above, what is the use of asking about the costs to the fiscus and the economy? The ANC government carries a responsibility to invest in economic and social development programmes and nationalised mines seek to achieve that. To ask what could be the figures spent on state control and ownership is opportunistic, intransigent and against the principles of the ANC.

For example, some of the major expenditures of the state in the recent past were the development of a rapid rail system in Gauteng and the hosting of the World Cup. There is no doubt that these projects have substantial economic, social, and political benefits and agreement was reached not only by the state, but the whole of society, that they should be embarked upon.

The fear that nationalised mines will negatively impact on economic growth and investment are false and neo-liberal. This is an ideological and political myth that should be dismissed with contempt.

d) What would be the risks of failure as well as the benefits of success?

The risks of failure are almost non-existent due to the reality that South Africa is home to reserves of all strategic minerals, some of which are potential sources of energy. Mining will not stop in South Africa because the country's minerals are resources that most economies in the world cannot operate without.

This perhaps provides a platform to dismiss another myth that South Africa does not have capacity in minerals extraction and mining. The Department of Mineral Resources' annual SA Minerals Industry document says: "South Africa's strengths include a high level of technical and production expertise as well as comprehensive research and development skills. South African universities continue to produce mining engineers and skilled strategic leaders of both the private and public sector." The question will have to be how the state channels this expertise into the state-owned mining company.

The ANCYL can confidently say that the risks of failure are almost non-existent and are substantially outdone by the possibilities of success. Instead of asking rhetorical questions, an ANC document should show the possible risks of failure and we can all discuss how to avoid such risks.

The questions raised in the ANC economic transformation discussion document around nationalisation of mines could have been avoided if there was appreciation of the ANCYL's perspective. Why those who drafted the perspective did not acclimatise themselves with the youth league's perspective escapes our thoughts.

Perhaps it is a result of a notion strangely inserted in the ANC discussion document that: "For a capitalist economy to succeed, the state has to keep business sufficiently profitable. It should act to raise costs for business only where required by the imperative of achieving a more inclusive and equitable economy." This suggests a bigger ideological battle than we thought, as this capitalist notion shows an intention to subjugate all other socio-economic interests to reducing the cost of business.

As a concluding remark, it is perhaps important to quote a phrase from Morogoro Strategy & Tactics: "In our country - more than in any other part of the oppressed world - it is inconceivable for liberation to have meaning without a return of the wealth of the land to the people as a whole. It is therefore a fundamental feature of our strategy that victory must embrace more than formal political democracy. To allow the existing economic forces to retain their interests intact is to feed the root of racial supremacy and does not represent even the shadow of liberation."

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

3.5 Zuma's son involved in R9bn BEE deal

Sowetan, 11 August 2010

8,500 staff members and black investors also stand to gain from the steel industry BEE deal, the company says

ArcelorMittal South Africa (AMSA, ACL), the South African arm of the world's largest steel producer, on Tuesday unveiled a 9.1 billion rand black economic empowerment deal that will see it transfer 26% of its shares to black investors and staff.

The BEE transaction has been structured so that all the assets of AMSA will be transferred into a new company where the issued share capital of that company will be 21% held by a special purpose vehicle controlled by the Ayigobi Consortium led by Sandile Zungu and 5% will be held by an employee share ownership scheme that will benefit about 8,500 AMSA staff members.

Shareholding of the Ayigobi Consortium is in turn held 75% by strategic partners including several of Imperial Crown Trading's (ICT) shareholders, as well as Mabengela Investments, which is led by President Jacob Zuma's son Duduzane Zuma.

AMSA in a separate announcement on Tuesday said it planned to acquire ICT for 800 million rand in cash.

ICT's only asset is a 21.4% prospecting right in Kumba Iron Ore's (KIO) Sishen mine.

Speaking during a conference called to explain the transaction, AMSA CEO Nonkululeko Nyembezi-Heita said the transaction fulfilled one of the key BEE objectives of AMSA, makes AMSA compliant with legislated empowerment equity ownership requirements and positions the company for various future opportunities.

The transaction, which is being funded through a notional funding formula, requires no equity contribution or third party funding and has an upfront loan available at facilitated rate to allow BEE partners early monetisation for a portion of the gain.

The consortium has been tied into the deal for up to 14 years.

AMSA shareholders are expected to vote on the transaction late September and Nyembezi-Heita sees February 2011 as the date for the BEE transaction's conclusion.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

3.6 Attractive women overlooked for certain jobs?

Sowetan, 11 August 2010

Too hot to be an engineer or finance manager?

Good looks can kill a woman's chances of snaring jobs considered "masculine", according to a study by the University of Colorado Denver Business School.

Attractive women faced discrimination when they applied for jobs where appearance was not seen as important. These positions included job titles like manager of research and development, director of finance, mechanical engineer and construction supervisor.

They were also overlooked for categories like director of security, hardware salesperson, prison guard and tow-truck driver.

"In these professions being attractive was highly detrimental to women," researcher Stefanie Johnson said in a statement, adding that attractive women tended to be sorted into positions like receptionist or secretary.

"In every other kind of job, attractive women were preferred. This wasn't the case with men which shows that there is still a double standard when it comes to gender."

The study, published in the Journal of Social Psychology, was based on giving participants a list of jobs and photos of applicants and asking them to sort them according to their suitability for the role. They had a stack of 55 male and 55 female photos.

While the researchers found good-looking women were ruled out for certain jobs, they found that attractive men did not face similar discrimination and were always at an advantage.

But Johnson said beautiful people still enjoyed a significant edge when it came to the workplace.

They tended to get higher salaries, better performance evaluations, higher levels of admission to college, better voter ratings when running for public office, and more favorable judgments in trials.

"In every other kind of job, attractive women were preferred," said Johnson, who chided those who let stereotypes affect hiring decisions.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

3.7 Zuma heckled at ANC imbizo

By Mayibongwe Maqhina, The Times

President Jacob Zuma had to call unruly ANC members to order twice when they started heckling while he addressed thousands at the party’s Imvuselelo Campaign in Butterworth yesterday.

It was the second time in two days that Zuma has reprimanded ANC members in the province.

On Monday a Congress of the People leader was shouted down as she tried to deliver a message of support on the
Women’s Day celebrations.

Yesterday’s drama unfolded when Zuma mentioned that he had met ANC councillors from Mnquma (Butterworth) and Mbhashe (Dutywa) municipalities earlier – a move that prompted some members to shout “Yho! Yho!”

“No, that’s why you need revival. What went wrong? We cannot all speak at once. Why? Did I cause provocation?” he asked, to an overwhelming “yes” response. Zuma then urged the ANC members to calm down.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

3.8 Once a sacrifice, ANC office now about money

STEVEN FRIEDMAN, Business Day, 11 August 2010

‘The obvious test for the ANC is not whether it can be honest about its problem but whether it can fix it’

THE three biggest problems facing the African National Congress (ANC) may be money, money and money. If there were any doubts that the ANC is in crisis, its discussion documents published ahead of next month’s national general council meeting dispel them. They talk of “disturbing trends” towards “careerism, corruption and opportunism”; they complain of “divisive leadership battles over access to resources and patronage” and lament “social distance” between “ANC cadres” in the government and voters.

How to respond to these ills will be the most important issue the ANC will discuss at the council. It has moved in a short time from an organisation that discouraged competition for posts, to one in which contesting positions seems almost the only thing everyone does. And, while competition for office in an organisation can, if settled by a fair test of the will of members, ensure that leaders are more accountable, the ANC’s contests do little for its members’ health: competing factions undermine each other, contests are bitter and some descend into physical fights, losers often claim the winners cheated, winners sometimes try to expel losers.

Many in the ANC know it cannot go on this way and so it appointed a team to investigate the problem; it is this inquiry that produced the documents frankly spelling out the ANC’s woes. The obvious test for the ANC is not whether it can be honest about its problem but whether it can fix it. The documents seem unlikely to do that. They want bans on: fund- raising for candidates, campaign material supporting candidates, promising incentives to gain support, attacking rivals, suppressing debate, open lobbying, and using the media to advance campaigns. They want candidates punished not only if they behave in any of these ways but if they do not stop their supporters doing so.

The problem is that it will be much easier to get the ANC to vote for this list than to stick to it. A couple of the proposals may be opposed because they make the same mistake the ANC made in the past — trying to stop normal political activity such as campaign posters or lobbying. But no one will demand the right to buy delegates’ support, smear opponents or suppress disagreement. Those who do these things will speak and vote against them at the council while continuing to do them.

That is not the fault of the team that drafted the documents. Any list it came up with would be meaningless unless it was backed by a will at the top of the ANC to implement it — and we don’t test politicians’ will by whether they vote for nice-sounding resolutions. That said, there is a way in which the council could signal that it is serious about tackling the problem. It could address the root cause of the disease — the role of money in politics.

Twenty years ago, ANC office was a sacrifice — today it is a route to money. The documents note that for some in the ANC, office is their only way of earning a decent living. For others, it is a route to personal enrichment and the status that goes with it. Accumulating money also enables some to spread cash about to win more support, which in turn gets them more wealth.

In a society with huge inequalities and in which our worth is measured by how much we have, this may be inevitable. But that does not alter the reality that it is the relationship between money and politics that lies at the root of the ANC’s problem — and causes damage well beyond that: tension between the ANC and the media is fuelled by the fear that politicians want the law to prevent us knowing where they get their money and what they do with it. If the ANC wants to begin fixing its problem, it must signal that it is serious about repairing the link between political office and money.

The documents do suggest ways of tackling the problem. One, that the ANC finds ways for members to earn a living from sources other than politics, seems to be wishful thinking. Another, for an “integrity committee”, which will “manage the interests of those who hold office … and investigate any allegations of improper conduct”, is a step forward but will depend on political will. It hints, however, at a third proposal that really would make a difference — forcing politicians and parties to disclose who fund them.

The documents note that the Polokwane conference urged more public funding for parties (which could make the problem worse). But it notes also that the same resolution urges rules that force politicians and parties to say where they get their money. If the ANC acted on this it would allay fears that it is trying to hide its politicians’ finances. It would also take a huge step towards solving its internal crisis.

If you want to know whether the ANC is serious about tackling the biggest problem facing it — and our politics — look at whether it backs a law forcing parties and politicians to say where they get their money.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

3.9 Outrage at the 'brazen abuse of public office' by officials

By SIPHO MASONDO, The Times, 11 August 2010

Arcelormittal South Africa's R9-billion black empowerment deal and R800-million purchase of a company with important mining rights, announced yesterday, has been described as "scandalous".

The BEE deal, which grants 21% of the international steel maker's local arm to the Ayigobi consortium led by President Jacob Zuma's ally, Sandile Zungu, has raised eyebrows in both the business and the political worlds.

DA spokesman on mining Hendrik Schmidt said the deal made a "mockery of the country's BEE policies. It's a question of setting up a BEE transaction and then buying it out. You are basically acquiring what you have lost otherwise."

COPE spokesman Sipho Ngwema said: ''When the relatives and children of the president are direct beneficiaries of deals that can be traced to the government, it makes South Africa no different from the rest of the basket cases on the continent.

"The brazen abuse of public office to benefit personal relations leaves a bad taste and [is] a slap in the face to those who suffer every day from the lack of service delivery.''

Other members of the Ayigobi consortium include ANC-aligned businessmen and the president's son, Duduzane, with his Mabengela Investments, as well as the Gupta family, the financial backers of the ANC-aligned New Age newspaper due to be launched next month.

Zungu sits on the BEE advisory council appointed by the president last year to review the codes of good practice applicable in empowerment deals.

Critics have also been outraged by the fact that Arcelor, when announcing its BEE deal, also said it had bought Imperial Crown Trading (ICT) for R800-million.

The company, whose owners are part of the empowerment consortium, has only one asset - a 21.4% prospecting right in Kumba Iron Ore's Sishen mine.

Arcelor has been in a protracted battle with Kumba since it withdrew Arcelor's preferential iron ore pricing agreement.

All ICT shareholders stand to benefit handsomely from the deal.

Defending the deal, Arcelor's chief executive, Nonkululeko Nyembezi-Heita, said: "Introducing broad-based BEE shareholders to our operations has been a priority for ArcelorMittal South Africa for some time. We started assessing the transaction in 2008 but the global economic downturn made it impossible to implement a suitable transaction structure at that time.

"However, as soon as the markets returned to some form of normality we proceeded to develop this transaction with a strong partner, which is an important step towards achieving our overall transformation objectives.

"ICT was there not out of any choice made by ArcelorMittal necessarily but the fact that they were awarded a prospecting licence made it almost a natural path. We would have to answer the question 'Why not ICT?' not 'Why ICT?'."

She said there needed to be something to bind ICT to Arcelor, as well as buying the mining rights outright.

Schmidt said: "It becomes quite clear why ArcelorMittal didn't apply for the rights. It's possible that they knew they will get the rights. Why didn't they apply? If it's not collusion, it's a major coincidence."

Cosatu spokesman Patrick Craven said the trade union federation would study the deal and comment later.

The Presidency refused to comment on the deal.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

4.   Media Tribunal

4.1 Media tribunal not 'an instrument to punish'

ANC accuses media of one-sided reaction, claims public agrees with it

By DOMINIC MAHLANGU and SIPHO MASONDO, The Times, 11 August 2010

The ANC and police boss Bheki Cele yesterday assured the media that they were not out to clamp down on their freedom.

Two separate meetings in Johannesburg followed a public outcry about the arrest last week of Sunday Times journalist Mzilikazi wa Afrika and the ANC's proposals on media regulation.

Cele, who met editors behind closed doors at the SA National Editors' Forum offices, said the police will continue to talk to media houses about how to improve working relationships between journalists and the police.

Soon after the meeting, Cele said the discussions with editors were "robust".

He said he had asked for the meeting with editors to ensure that reporters reported accurately and factually.

"We are not coming here to be nice to each other. We want to do our work without hindrance. Journalists must not hinder police and vice versa," he said.

Forum chairman Mondli Makhanya said Wa Afrika's arrest marked a significant point in the relationship between the police and the media.

He said the forum was concerned about how the police arrested Wa Afrika, the way in which he was detained and the way in which he was treated by the police.

The meeting did not delve into Wa Afrika's arrest because it is the subject of a court case.

ANC spokesman and drafter of the discussion document on the media, Jackson Mthembu, said the proposed media appeals tribunal must not be seen as an instrument for punishing the media. He said the outcry over the tribunal was one-sided and exaggerated.

"In whatever we do, there is no interest on the part of the ANC to limit the freedom that all of us enjoy, including the press," he said.

"Your reaction, as opposed to the reaction of the ordinary man and woman, was different. Ordinary people agree [with us]."

Mthembu said the media's reaction was not helpful.

"You just want us to drop the issue," he said.

Mthembu's discussion document deals with media transformation, ownership and diversity.

He said it was unfortunate that the media were "fighting" one aspect of the document: the media appeals tribunal.

He said the way in which the media regulated itself must be open to debate.

Mthembu said the tribunal would "strengthen, complement and support" the Press Ombudsman, and punitive measures were needed to stop "the cycle of offences" committed by the print media.

"We are going to use the existing press code that is at the centre of ethical journalism, except to say that, if you go against this code, there should be punitive measures," Mthembu said, adding that "we are surprised by this outrage".

He said the ANC's forthcoming national general council meeting would consider media ownership, currently dominated by Avusa, Media 24, Caxton and Independent Newspapers.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

4.2 Media, ANC square off

Christelle Terreblanche, Daily News, Durban, 10 August 2010

As civil society, the media and opposition parties continue to voice dismay about the ANC's plan for a media tribunal and draft legislation perceived as repressive, the SA Communist Party has warned against a hostile stand-off.

Deputy general-secretary of the SACP, Jeremy Cronin, said on the eve of Tuesday's meeting between editors and the ANC that the ruling party and its alliance partners wanted to have "a considered discussion on how to set up an independent regulator of the media".

"We are not alone in thinking that, because the current regulators are not working effectively", he said about the Press Ombudsman and other self-regulatory mechanisms.

Cronin and ANC spokesperson Jackson Mthembu have openly criticised the "Auckland Park Declaration" in which 37 newspaper editors expressed their concern over an ANC clampdown on media freedom this weekend.

The ANC and editors are due to meet on Tuesday at Lilliesleaf in Sandton to debate ANC policy discussion documents on the economy and the media before the ruling party's national general council next month.

The position paper on media diversity and ownership contains details of the proposed media tribunal - meant to hear complaints by the public against the media. Cronin said the need for a regulator was not an attempt to curtail media freedom, but to defend it, as well as to ensure that the power the media wielded in South Africa's democracy was not abused.

"An ineffective regulator works against this and in favour of those who want to suppress media independence. It could be a very important safeguard", he said.

"Also, the Auckland Park Declaration again gives the impression that the media bosses are ganging up, which does not create a climate in which you can have a considered discussion.

"From both sides - the government and ANC alliance and from the media - we must be careful not to entrench our positions as enemies ... and that is where we are heading."

Cronin said this would not be healthy, because the media had a critical role to play in the struggle against corruption.

On Monday, more civil society organisations added their voices to concerns about the ANC's approach to the media and access to information, particularly the Protection of Information bill which proposes new categories of state secrets.

A group of progressive organisations, including the Treatment Action Campaign, the Anti Privatisation Forum, Equal Education, Lesbian and Gay Equality Project, Social Justice Coalition and SWEAT issued "a stern warning to the cabinet and those who wished to turn their back on the bill of rights" that they would campaign against all attempts to undermine press freedom and the constitution.

The group said that while the media in South Africa was powerful and influential, but often mediocre and representative of the elite, they were concerned that "draconian anti-media legislation" would work against the transformation of the media.

"Unfortunately, we believe the crackdown on the media being encouraged by parts of government, some in the ANC and probably influential 'tenderpreneurs' and predatory elites is not aimed at improving the quality and responsibility of the media, or making it more equal," they argued. "Instead it is aimed at hiding corruption, frustrating accountability and covering up service delivery failure."

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

4.3 ANC denies targeting newspapers, Cele has unresolved issues with media

Lynne O’Connor & JP du Plessis, Eyewitness News, 11 August 2010

The freedom of the media and the right to report unhindered and without censorship was discussed at two separate meetings on Tuesday.

In Sandton, the ANC denied that it was targeting newspapers but said it was merely trying to protect the public from journalists.

The party addressed editors and political reporters about media transformation, diversity and ownership.

The topics discussed included the ANC’s proposed media appeals tribunal, something that has been slammed as an attempt to censor the press.

The ANC’s Jackson Mthembu told journalists that members of the public had no real avenue to tackle what he has termed "vindictive journalists"

He said that the Press Ombudsman was toothless and unable to keep a firm hand on what is published in the newspapers.

Mthembu insisted that the media appeals tribunal would not be unconstitutional as the ANC fought for media freedom.

Instead he called for an independent body like the Broadcasting Complaints Commission of South Africa to monitor the press.

Meanwhile, South African National Editor’s Forum officials wrapped up a meeting with National Police Commissioner General Bheki Cele in Johannesburg on Tuesday afternoon..

The editors want police to start treating journalists better but Cele had his own demands.

Cele said he wanted to see more accurate reporting than speculation and better channels for police to get action taken after unfair or inaccurate reports.

Sanef Chairperson Mondli Makhanya countered by saying editors wanted police to respect journalists by not stopping them from reporting or photographing at scenes.

However, both parties have agreed to disagree on some points and said most of the confrontations of Tuesday’s meeting happened when talking about last week’s arrest of Sunday Times reporter Mzwilikazi wa Afrika.

Sanef said it was satisfied police would not repeat the public display again but Cele said he was not at the meeting to be nice and said there were many issues that remain unresolved.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

4.4 Editor’s Dispatch

Dispatch, 11 August 2010

AS THE media in South Africa faces its darkest hour, I must find time to thank the ANC and the SACP.

I must thank the ANC and its agents for its efforts to impose a media tribunal, for arresting our colleague at the Sunday Times and for dreaming up this ghastly Protection of Information Bill.

For without these fine efforts at repression we would not be enjoying the most incredible fight for press freedom and freedom of expression that I have witnessed since 1994. I am proud to have been one of the signatories of the Auckland Park Declaration, along with more than 30 other editors, who have vowed to fight attempts to muzzle the press and who have made it clear that we are not prepared to negotiate away our rights.

Many of the editors who signed the declaration are like me – a generation of journalists who had limited experience of apartheid censorship. Many of us began our journalism careers as apartheid was crumbling and as freedom and democracy were a foregone conclusion.

We have accepted our freedom to report like we accept our right to breathe air. We never imagined this right would be threatened but now that it is we will not give it up.

We owe it to our colleagues, our readers and our democracy to stand firm. We owe it to the journalists and the others who came before us, who endured the tyranny of apartheid so we could enjoy this freedom. Many of our readers have joined in our “Say No” campaign to oppose the tyranny of the Protection of Information Bill and I thank every one of you.

It’s that sentiment which is driving the most incredible united front forming in opposition to these moves as ordinary citizens, non-governmental organisations, Cosatu, media groups, lawyers bodies and many more take a stand.

All of these people and bodies see through the ruling party’s lie that what our democracy needs is less information.

Nonsense! We need as much information as we can get.

Thanks to the ANC, we don’t take our freedom for granted anymore. We savour and appreciate the sweet taste of it.

Thanks to these threats the fire of a free press burns more hotly than ever in the hearts of a new generation of young reporters in the Dispatch newsroom and in newsrooms across South Africa.

And that’s something you can’t put a price on.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

4.5 Media are to blame, not the ANC

By Sipho Sibiya, The times, 11 August 2010

Having the right to express oneself freely in no way means one must not be responsible.

As much as we need to know the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth, it seems we go out of our way to look for bad news.

There are many good things happening in our country. Unfortunately, we are about to forget them because there's so much negative reporting .

It's so bad, even sports reporters look for the bad in a good Bulls win. Why?

The reason for a media tribunal is to limit exactly this. You are dragging this country down. Don't blame the ANC.

The more bad news I read about my country, the more I'll vote for this government because all I do after that is go out and look for things to cheer me up.

4.6 Tribunal a bid to keep lid on top-level rot

By Thalukanyo Nangammbi, The Times, 11 August 2010

Thalukanyo Nangammbi, Pretoria: I am quite disturbed by the ANC's proposed media appeals tribunal and the Protection of Information Bill.

Though the party might claim that the media tribunal would adjudicate complaints from citizens about the press, it has become quite apparent that it is the ANC's strategy to stop the media from exposing the corruption of top officials.

It seems the ANC wishes to build a state in which the people are not allowed to know the evil deeds and mischief of the leaders they have elected.

It remains to be seen if this is not the start of South Africa being turned into an autocracy that caters only for the greedy interests of the political elite.

image001.jpg