compass on ubuntu

andriusphoto

Jul 28, 2010, 10:11:18 AM7/28/10
to Compass
andrius@andriusPC ~ $ gem list

*** LOCAL GEMS ***

chriseppstein-compass (0.8.17)
compass (0.10.2)
haml (3.0.15)
haml-edge (3.1.51)
andrius@andriusPC ~ $ compass -v
compass: command not found

please help me.
how to use compass on ubuntu?

Chris Eppstein

Jul 31, 2010, 12:06:52 AM7/31/10
to compas...@googlegroups.com
remove the chriseppstein-compass gem. and haml-edge.

sudo gem uninstall chriseppstein-compass
sudo gem uninstall haml-edge

After that the normal instructions should work. let me know if you continue to have problems and let me know what they are ;)

chris

Daniel S. Reichenbach

Jul 31, 2010, 4:34:24 AM7/31/10
to compas...@googlegroups.com
> andrius@andriusPC ~ $ compass -v
> compass: command not found
>
> please help me.
> how to use compass on ubuntu?
That is not an issue of Compass, but rather one specific to both
Debian and Ubuntu. Both systems policies disallow executables that are
not managed by the system package manager aka dpkg on the PATH, thus
your gem installation will work fine, but your gem commands never will
unless you modify your PATH.

If you use Ruby 1.8.x on Ubuntu, you may want to create a the file
`/etc/profile.d/rubygems1.8.sh` containing

PATH=$PATH:/var/lib/gems/1.8/bin:$HOME/.gem/ruby/1.8/bin

The next time you log in, all you Ruby gem executables will work, both
local gems and global gems.

Enjoy!
--
developer, father, gamer, geek http://marenkay.com
github page http://github.com/danielsreichenbach

Got questions? Need help? Contact daniel.s.r...@mac.com

creativeboulder

Aug 13, 2010, 8:07:43 PM8/13/10
to Compass
Thank you Daniel. This worked perfectly.