KMail + IMAP

Timothy Murphy

Sep 15, 2007, 9:49:08 PM9/15/07
As far as I can see, KMail's maildir format
(with folders ~/Mail/inbox/cur , etc)
is incompatible with Dovecot's IMAP format
(with folders ~/Mail/.inbox/cur).

I mean that if one runs an IMAP server
then the directories must be in Dovecot's format,
in which case they cannot be accessed by kmail running on the server
with a standard Local Account.

If that is indeed the case,
it seems surprising that kmail documentation
does not appear to contain any warning of this.

On the other hand, if I am wrong, I would be very grateful
if someone could explain how one can combine kmail + dovecot IMAP.

Guillermo Antonio Amaral Bastidas

Sep 15, 2007, 10:53:59 PM9/15/07

Timothy Murphy

Sep 16, 2007, 5:59:49 AM9/16/07
Guillermo Antonio Amaral Bastidas wrote:

> Timothy Murphy wrote:
>
>> As far as I can see, KMail's maildir format
>> (with folders ~/Mail/inbox/cur , etc)
>> is incompatible with Dovecot's IMAP format
>> (with folders ~/Mail/.inbox/cur).
>>
>> I mean that if one runs an IMAP server
>> then the directories must be in Dovecot's format,
>> in which case they cannot be accessed by kmail running on the server
>> with a standard Local Account.
>>
>> If that is indeed the case,
>> it seems surprising that kmail documentation
>> does not appear to contain any warning of this.
>>
>> On the other hand, if I am wrong, I would be very grateful
>> if someone could explain how one can combine kmail + dovecot IMAP.
>
> Hi Tim,
>
> As far as I know the KMail's Maildir follows the original Maildir format
> from Daniel J. Bernstein's qmail, I will check to see if there are any
> variants but as far as I can see it does seem to use the directory
> structure.
>
> If I get some time off tomorrow I could try to implement Maildir++ along
> side the existing Maindir support.

Thanks, let us know how you get on.

After looking at the rather confusing documentation
on the subject of Maildir and Maildir++,
as far as I can see the original Maildir format
used 3 directories, ~/Mail/[cur,new,tmp]/ .

The problems arose when subfolders of the Mail directory were introduced.
The Maildir format used in kmail follows what seems to me
the natural extension, with directories ~/Mail/inbox/[cur,new,tmp]/ , etc.
These are not seen by an IMAP client, at least with dovecot.

The Maildir++ format, for reasons which escape me,
has directories ~/Mail/.inbox/[cur,new,tmp]/ .
These cannot be seen by local kmail, at least as a local account.

If this is wrong, please correct me.
Also I would be interested to know why Maildir++
adopted this "dotty" system.

Guillermo Antonio Amaral Bastidas

Sep 16, 2007, 12:33:22 PM9/16/07
Timothy Murphy wrote:

> Thanks, let us know how you get on.
>

> < snip >

> The Maildir++ format, for reasons which escape me,
> has directories ~/Mail/.inbox/[cur,new,tmp]/ .
> These cannot be seen by local kmail, at least as a local account.
>
> If this is wrong, please correct me.
> Also I would be interested to know why Maildir++
> adopted this "dotty" system.

Well if I remember correctly the `courier` project ( courier-imap ) or
it's author is the brains behind the Maindir++ spec, they needed something
that could support sub-folders, mail quotas and still be a little
compatible with the original Maildir; the `.` prefix is used to hide
subfolders from the mail root.

Now their is one problem I noticed, if I implement it as a local account
type the data will be moved into `~/.kde/share/apps/kmail`, this will
render the folder structure and your IMAP service useless. I will have to
base the new account type on the Disconnected IMAP account and that might
take a little longer.

Cheers,
gamaral

Timothy Murphy

Sep 16, 2007, 1:37:32 PM9/16/07
Guillermo Antonio Amaral Bastidas wrote:

>> The Maildir++ format, for reasons which escape me,
>> has directories ~/Mail/.inbox/[cur,new,tmp]/ .
>> These cannot be seen by local kmail, at least as a local account.
>>
>> If this is wrong, please correct me.
>> Also I would be interested to know why Maildir++
>> adopted this "dotty" system.
>
> Well if I remember correctly the `courier` project ( courier-imap ) or
> it's author is the brains behind the Maindir++ spec, they needed something
> that could support sub-folders, mail quotas and still be a little
> compatible with the original Maildir; the `.` prefix is used to hide
> subfolders from the mail root.

Sorry but I just don't follow the logic.
If one uses kmail (local account) to create new folders,
using maildir format, they are called something like
~/Mail/Folder1 , ~/Mail/Folder2, etc,
and each contains the subdirectories cur,new,tmp
in which email messages are stored.
This does not seem to cause any problem at all.

> Now their is one problem I noticed, if I implement it as a local account
> type the data will be moved into `~/.kde/share/apps/kmail`, this will
> render the folder structure and your IMAP service useless. I will have to
> base the new account type on the Disconnected IMAP account and that might
> take a little longer.

I don't really understand this,
but let us know how you get on.

Guillermo Antonio Amaral Bastidas

Sep 16, 2007, 5:04:03 PM9/16/07

Timothy Murphy

Sep 16, 2007, 5:15:28 PM9/16/07
Guillermo Antonio Amaral Bastidas wrote:

> Well to put it simply in Maildir++ all subdirectory levels are separated
> by `.`. for example `~/Maildir/.inbox.family` is displayed as
> `inbox/family` and so on.

I understand that perfectly well.
What I don't understand is WHY.
Why not just use subdirectories like everyone else ...?