HOW OLD IS SOLARIS?

Mikolaj Dymek

May 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/22/99
I don't know whether I've come to the right place place but my question is:

When was Solaris first released?

What is SunOS and what is the relation to Solaris?

If someone knows the history of Solaris/SunOS and wants to tell about it I
would be very thankful!

Sincerely MD

MD

May 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/22/99
I don't know whether I've come to the right place but my question is:

Alan Coopersmith

May 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/23/99
In article <ECE13.1424$ax3....@nntpserver.swip.net>,

The FAQ for this newsgroup (available on www.sunhelp.com) contains the
answers to your questions - you should check there before posting a
third time.

http://www.OCF.Berkeley.EDU/solaris/versions/ also has a chart of the
release dates of various versions of SunOS/Solaris.

Alan Coopersmith al...@godzilla.EECS.Berkeley.EDU
Univ. of California at Berkeley http://soar.Berkeley.EDU/~alanc/
aka: alanc@{CSUA,OCF,CS,BMRC,EECS,ucsee.eecs,cory.eecs}.Berkeley.EDU

Karlheinz Kimmel

May 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/23/99
to MD
SunOs was before Solaris. It is a Unix System 5 Release III Version; Solaris
2.X is a System 5 Release IV Unix Version; Sun named the new "SunOS"- Version
"Solaris" for marketing targets, it sounds better than SunOS

MD schrieb:

> I don't know whether I've come to the right place but my question is:
>
> When was Solaris first released?
>
> What is SunOS and what is the relation to Solaris?
>
> If someone knows the history of Solaris/SunOS and wants to tell about it I
> would be very thankful!
>

> Sincerely MD

Russ Allbery

May 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/23/99
Karlheinz Kimmel <Karlhein...@planet-interkom.de> writes:

> SunOs was before Solaris. It is a Unix System 5 Release III Version;
> Solaris 2.X is a System 5 Release IV Unix Version; Sun named the new
> "SunOS"- Version "Solaris" for marketing targets, it sounds better than
> SunOS

I thought SunOS was BSD-based.

--
Russ Allbery (r...@stanford.edu) <URL:http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>

Doug McIntyre

May 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/23/99
Russ Allbery <r...@stanford.edu> writes:
>Karlheinz Kimmel <Karlhein...@planet-interkom.de> writes:

>> SunOs was before Solaris. It is a Unix System 5 Release III Version;
>> Solaris 2.X is a System 5 Release IV Unix Version; Sun named the new
>> "SunOS"- Version "Solaris" for marketing targets, it sounds better than
>> SunOS

>I thought SunOS was BSD-based.

SunOS v3.x and v4.x were totally based on 4BSD releases (I can't
remember about v2.x kernels if it was 4BSD or Ultrix, but v1.x was
based on Ultrix which was based on 4BSD anyway). Sun never did
anything for sVr3 at all, the above poster is totally incorrect.

He's also incorrect about SunOS v5.x being the only Solaris, they also
renamed their SunOS v4.x stuff Solaris as well, and Solaris became the
total package, both the kernel and OpenWindows. In the olden days,
Sun used to ship OpenWindows seperately sometimes. The kernel only
part of the system still retains the name SunOS.

--
Doug McIntyre mer...@visi.com
Network Engineer/Tech Support/Jack of All Trades of Vector Internet

Greg Andrews

May 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/23/99
Russ Allbery <r...@stanford.edu> writes:
>Karlheinz Kimmel <Karlhein...@planet-interkom.de> writes:
>
>> SunOs was before Solaris. It is a Unix System 5 Release III Version;
>> Solaris 2.X is a System 5 Release IV Unix Version; Sun named the new
>> "SunOS"- Version "Solaris" for marketing targets, it sounds better than
>> SunOS
>
>I thought SunOS was BSD-based.

Yeah, Bill Joy was such an SVR3 enthusiast at the time. ;-)

And SunOS 3.2 or 3.4 said it was "Unix 4.1" in several places
(meaning BSD 4.1).

I think some people get confused by the SVR3 things that were
grafted into SunOS 4.1.x: vi using terminfo and the HDB uucp
system are the first two that come to mind.

-Greg

Andrew Gabriel

May 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/23/99
In article <3747CFD0...@planet-interkom.de>,

Karlheinz Kimmel <Karlhein...@planet-interkom.de> writes:
>SunOs was before Solaris.
>It is a Unix System 5 Release III Version;

No - it's very different from SVR3 unix. It was originally
based on BSD. Sun's SVR3 offering is Interactive Unix.

>Solaris
>2.X is a System 5 Release IV Unix Version; Sun named the new "SunOS"- Version
>"Solaris" for marketing targets, it sounds better than SunOS

Strictly they are different things - SunOS is the operating
system, and Solaris is the whole package including SunOS plus
windowing system, etc.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Consultant Software Engineer

Joerg Schilling

May 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/24/99
In article <7i7ukv$qqv$1...@agate.berkeley.edu>,

Alan Coopersmith <al...@godzilla.eecs.berkeley.edu> wrote:
>In article <ECE13.1424$ax3....@nntpserver.swip.net>,
>MD <m...@europemail.com> wrote:
>>I don't know whether I've come to the right place but my question is:
>>When was Solaris first released?
>>What is SunOS and what is the relation to Solaris?
>>If someone knows the history of Solaris/SunOS and wants to tell about it I
>>would be very thankful!
>
>The FAQ for this newsgroup (available on www.sunhelp.com) contains the
>answers to your questions - you should check there before posting a
>third time.
>
>http://www.OCF.Berkeley.EDU/solaris/versions/ also has a chart of the
>release dates of various versions of SunOS/Solaris.

Unfortunately this file does not cover old versions.

The first OS called SunOS was SunOS 3.0 which was officially released
at CeBIT (march) 1986.

The first Sun computer based on BSD UNIX was sold in late 1984.

--
EMail:jo...@schily.isdn.cs.tu-berlin.de (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin
j...@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni) If you don't have iso-8859-1

Joerg Schilling

May 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/24/99
Karlheinz Kimmel <Karlhein...@planet-interkom.de> wrote:
>SunOs was before Solaris. It is a Unix System 5 Release III Version; Solaris

>2.X is a System 5 Release IV Unix Version; Sun named the new "SunOS"- Version
>"Solaris" for marketing targets, it sounds better than SunOS
>
>MD schrieb:

>> I don't know whether I've come to the right place but my question is:
>>
>> When was Solaris first released?
>>
>> What is SunOS and what is the relation to Solaris?
>>
>> If someone knows the history of Solaris/SunOS and wants to tell about it I
>> would be very thankful!
>>
>> Sincerely MD

SunOS and Solaris have nothing to do with SVr3.

SunOS 3.x was BSD4.2 based, while SunOS 4.x was the base for the SVr4 kernel.

In addition, SVr3 and SVr4 kernels have close to nothing in common.

Charles Stephens

May 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/24/99

JS> Unfortunately this file does not cover old versions.

JS> The first OS called SunOS was SunOS 3.0 which was officially released
JS> at CeBIT (march) 1986.

JS> The first Sun computer based on BSD UNIX was sold in late 1984.

Actually, I do have a tape labeled SunOS 2.0 dated around 1984. It
was for my Sun 2. For a 2MB machine, it booted in about 15 seconds.
Of course, it didn't do anything particularly useful.

cfs
--
Charles F. Stephens = "I don't like the cores,
Software Psychic and Illuminary = but the cores like me!"

Joerg Schilling

May 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/24/99
In article <afkr9o6...@dobbs.eng.sun.com>,

Charles Stephens <dev...@dobbs.eng.sun.com> wrote:

> JS> Unfortunately this file does not cover old versions.
>
> JS> The first OS called SunOS was SunOS 3.0 which was officially released
> JS> at CeBIT (march) 1986.
>
> JS> The first Sun computer based on BSD UNIX was sold in late 1984.
>
>Actually, I do have a tape labeled SunOS 2.0 dated around 1984. It

Is it really labelled SunOS 2.0? I remember the boot message was something
like "BSD 4.x Sun ...."

My oldest tape I can get hold of is a 3.0beta3 which was delivered
between christmas and new year in 1985 (with the first 68020 machines).
This is the first OS that showed a boot message stating "SunOS ..."
was this SunOS 3.0 release.

>was for my Sun 2. For a 2MB machine, it booted in about 15 seconds.
>Of course, it didn't do anything particularly useful.

Do you still have this machine? My first Sun at home was a Sun 2/50
(in May 1986) it run fine with 2 MB but I don't have it anymore
but I still run my Sun 3/60 with self made ISDN interface in the
EEPROM socket.

BTW: Do you know if Sun will make Y2000 patches for SunOS 4.1.1_U1/sun3 ?
If not, I will be forced to do it myself.

Charles Stephens

May 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/24/99

JS> Unfortunately this file does not cover old versions.
>>
JS> The first OS called SunOS was SunOS 3.0 which was officially released
JS> at CeBIT (march) 1986.
>>
JS> The first Sun computer based on BSD UNIX was sold in late 1984.
>>
>> Actually, I do have a tape labeled SunOS 2.0 dated around 1984. It

JS> Is it really labelled SunOS 2.0? I remember the boot message was
JS> something like "BSD 4.x Sun ...."

JS> My oldest tape I can get hold of is a 3.0beta3 which was delivered
JS> between christmas and new year in 1985 (with the first 68020 machines).
JS> This is the first OS that showed a boot message stating "SunOS ..."
JS> was this SunOS 3.0 release.

You might be right. I can't seem to find the tape, but that sounds
accurate.

>> was for my Sun 2. For a 2MB machine, it booted in about 15 seconds.
>> Of course, it didn't do anything particularly useful.

JS> Do you still have this machine? My first Sun at home was a Sun 2/50
JS> (in May 1986) it run fine with 2 MB but I don't have it anymore
JS> but I still run my Sun 3/60 with self made ISDN interface in the
JS> EEPROM socket.

No, it went to computer heaven.

JS> BTW: Do you know if Sun will make Y2000 patches for SunOS 4.1.1_U1/sun3 ?
JS> If not, I will be forced to do it myself.

Not likely. We only do work on SunOS 4.1.3 and above. Check the Sun
Y2K compliance web page for details.

Joerg Schilling

May 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/24/99
In article <afkk8ty...@dobbs.eng.sun.com>,

> JS> Do you still have this machine? My first Sun at home was a Sun 2/50
> JS> (in May 1986) it run fine with 2 MB but I don't have it anymore
> JS> but I still run my Sun 3/60 with self made ISDN interface in the
> JS> EEPROM socket.
>
>No, it went to computer heaven.
>
> JS> BTW: Do you know if Sun will make Y2000 patches for SunOS 4.1.1_U1/sun3 ?
> JS> If not, I will be forced to do it myself.
>
>Not likely. We only do work on SunOS 4.1.3 and above. Check the Sun
>Y2K compliance web page for details.

OK, thank you. As the 3/60 is a really nice machine after you installed
a half height 3.5" disk drive on the mount point in the CPU PCB ;-)
I'll hack it from the comments in the README's of the Y2k patch for
4.1.3 (sparc) and make the binaries available...

Lawrence K. Chen

May 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/25/99

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

> In article <3747CFD0...@planet-interkom.de>,

> Karlheinz Kimmel <Karlhein...@planet-interkom.de> writes:
> >SunOs was before Solaris.
> >It is a Unix System 5 Release III Version;
>

> No - it's very different from SVR3 unix. It was originally
> based on BSD. Sun's SVR3 offering is Interactive Unix.

Of course, Interactive Unix isn't Sun....it was acquired by Sun from ISC
(Interactive Software Corporation?) They wanted the technology for Solaris
x86.

If memory serves Interactive Unix was SVR3.2

ISC released a 4.0 version that was SVR4, but Sun replaced it with the 4.0
version with an enhanced version of the 3.x

As I recall, Interactive Unix was the first to market with Motif....which was
important to my previous employer. They have since moved up to Solaris x86,
but mainly because customers wanted a version of their software for PC
Unix...and they weren't interested in doing a Linux version....strange how
things go in cycles.

I guess it was about 10 years ago now....the software was done on Interactive
Unix 2.x (because of the need for Motif) and the customers were only slowly
moving up from PCs to Unix. I was running an Interactive Unix system on a
25MHz 386 w/16MB (later a 486/25 then a 486/50, and the Solaris x86 and a
P5/200 and finally got 64MB). Anyways the reason was most of the customer's
PCs were 286's and 386's was a big jump. A couple years later it was HP and
SGI workstations (and later Alpha boxes)....the president was anti-Sun....
And now customers are moving back to PCs running Unix.

Way back then apparently at 286 cost $10,000 (at least that's what the
military paid for it....the military apparently doesn't depreciate its assets,
so if you borrow a 286 from them...they claim you borrowed $10,000 worth of
equipment, so you better return the 286).

--
Who: Lawrence Chen, P.Eng. Email: Lawren...@Consultant.com
What: Consultant - APR, Inc. URL: http://www.aprnet.com

Andrew Gabriel

May 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/25/99
In article <374AE13B...@opentext.com>,

"Lawrence K. Chen" <lc...@opentext.com> writes:

>Andrew Gabriel wrote:
>>
>> In article <3747CFD0...@planet-interkom.de>,
>> Karlheinz Kimmel <Karlhein...@planet-interkom.de> writes:
>> >SunOs was before Solaris.
>> >It is a Unix System 5 Release III Version;
>>
>> No - it's very different from SVR3 unix. It was originally
>> based on BSD. Sun's SVR3 offering is Interactive Unix.
>>
>Of course, Interactive Unix isn't Sun....it was acquired by Sun from ISC

Sun bought it from Kodak, who prevoiusly bought it from ISC.

>(Interactive Software Corporation?)

I thought it was Interactive Systems Corporation.
They are now part of Lucent I believe.

>They wanted the technology for Solaris x86.

Yes. Interactive Unix had by far the largest range of
support for different PC hardware at the time, and had
enough momentum that hardware vendors produced their own
drivers for it (something Solaris x86 has never managed
to achieve).

>If memory serves Interactive Unix was SVR3.2

Yes.

>ISC released a 4.0 version that was SVR4, but Sun replaced it with the 4.0
>version with an enhanced version of the 3.x

We had a beta of the SVR4 Interactive Unix, but as you say,
it never made it to market. I'm not sure it was Sun that
cancelled it - it might have happened whilst still under
Kodak's control.

>As I recall, Interactive Unix was the first to market with Motif....which was
>important to my previous employer.

And it was in the days when you got a full paper manual set
including all the O'Reily X Windows (Motif flavour) books,
which I still treasure to this day.

Dan Stromberg

May 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/28/99
In article <ZjV13.314$j65....@ptah.visi.com>,

mer...@visi.com (Doug McIntyre) writes:
> Russ Allbery <r...@stanford.edu> writes:
>>Karlheinz Kimmel <Karlhein...@planet-interkom.de> writes:
>
> SunOS v3.x and v4.x were totally based on 4BSD releases (I can't
> remember about v2.x kernels if it was 4BSD or Ultrix, but v1.x was
> based on Ultrix which was based on 4BSD anyway). Sun never did
> anything for sVr3 at all, the above poster is totally incorrect.

Actually, I recall hearing that SunOS 4.x was BSD with large chunks of
SysV thrown in. IINM, this includes streams, RFS, terminfo, probably
other things too.

Ian Jarrett

May 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/28/99
> I was one of 4 engineers who server as Sun's Solaris 2 Transition Hotline in
> the UK. As far as I know, we were the first Sun engineers to get Solaris 2 in
> the UK, and probably one of the first Solaris 2 users in the UK also.

If memory serves correctly, that was back in May 92, which makes Solaris 2 7
years old this year.

Ian

> MD schrieb:
>
> > I don't know whether I've come to the right place but my question is:
> >
> > When was Solaris first released?
> >
> > What is SunOS and what is the relation to Solaris?

--
Ian Jarrett, Systems Engineer Remove "nospam" in reply address
Ericsson Inc.

Joerg Schilling

May 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/29/99
In article <7imub3$r...@news.service.uci.edu>,

SunOS 4.x introduced a totally new VM architecture which became the base for
SVSVr4. SunOS 4.x was the first implementation os UNIX tty code using streams.
Apart from RFS and some streams basics (note this does not mean tty code!!!)
no AT&T code was added to the kernel.

For SunOS 4.x Sun used the SVr3 vi code because it included 8bit clean
mods. As AT&T did this at the same time as converting vi to terminfo
in a nonportable way, SUn could only take this code using terminfo or
forget the 8bit clean vi source.

Guy Harris

May 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/29/99
Joerg Schilling <j...@cs.tu-berlin.de> wrote:
>In article <7imub3$r...@news.service.uci.edu>,
>Dan Stromberg <stro...@bingy.acs.uci.edu> wrote:
>>In article <ZjV13.314$j65....@ptah.visi.com>,
>> mer...@visi.com (Doug McIntyre) writes:
>>>
>>> SunOS v3.x and v4.x were totally based on 4BSD releases (I can't
>>> remember about v2.x kernels if it was 4BSD or Ultrix, but v1.x was
>>> based on Ultrix which was based on 4BSD anyway).

No version of SunOS was based on Ultrix; pre-5.x SunOS and Ultrix may
have started out as BSD derivatives, but that doesn't make one a
derivative of the other.

>>Actually, I recall hearing that SunOS 4.x was BSD with large chunks of
>>SysV thrown in. IINM, this includes streams, RFS, terminfo, probably
>>other things too.

It's probably best described as "BSD with large chunks of SysV *and*
large chunks of Sun stuff thrown in"; the Sun stuff includes the VM
architecture Joerg mentions, as well as the dynamic linking mechanism
(which became the base for the SVR4 one), as well as the VFS mechanism
(first showed up in 2.0, as I remember, although that was before I
joined Sun) and many of the file systems that plugged into it, and, of
course, SunView.

>SunOS 4.x introduced a totally new VM architecture which became the base for
>SVSVr4. SunOS 4.x was the first implementation os UNIX tty code using streams.
>Apart from RFS and some streams basics (note this does not mean tty code!!!)
>no AT&T code was added to the kernel.

The System V IPC code was SVR2 code transplanted into SunOS 3.2; I think
we SVR3-ified it in 4.0. Some other small bits of code may have been
SV-ified as well.

>For SunOS 4.x Sun used the SVr3 vi code because it included 8bit clean
>mods. As AT&T did this at the same time as converting vi to terminfo
>in a nonportable way, SUn could only take this code using terminfo or
>forget the 8bit clean vi source.

Other userland stuff from SV that showed up in 3.2, or in 4.0, includes
a bunch of library routines and commands. The "/bin/sh", "make", and
Berkmail in 3.*0* were derived from the SVR2 ones (the SVR2 Berkmail was
called "mailx" - it was a Berkmail derivative; Bill Shannon tweaked them
to be more compatible with the BSD versions, but the code was SV-based,
and they included most if not all of the stuff added in SVR2).

--
Reply, or follow up, but don't do both, please.

postmaster@localhost
postmaster@[127.0.0.1]

Guy Harris

May 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/29/99
Joerg Schilling <j...@cs.tu-berlin.de> wrote:
>Is it really labelled SunOS 2.0? I remember the boot message was something

>like "BSD 4.x Sun ...."

If I remember correctly, the pre-4.0 boot message was something like

Sun UNIX 4.2BSD Release x.y (<config file name>) #N: <date>

where the "x.y" is the SunOS version number. I'm a bit skeptical of the
claim that 3.x announced itself as "SunOS" on boot; I seem to remember
us first doing that in 4.0 (at least in part because we didn't want AT&T
getting cranky because we were using the Sacred Trademark on code that
was more than just minimally-modified System V).

Guy Harris

May 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/29/99
Greg Andrews <ge...@shell1.ncal.verio.com> wrote:
>And SunOS 3.2 or 3.4 said it was "Unix 4.1" in several places
>(meaning BSD 4.1).

More likely 4.2; as I said in another posting, the pre-4.0 boot message
was, as I remember

Sun UNIX 4.2BSD Release x.y (<config file name> #N: <date>

SunOS 4.0 4.3BSDified most of the 4.2BSDisms (with "talk" being a
regrettable exception; the guy tasked with it - no, it wasn't me - was
too busy working on the Sun3x and SPARCstation 1 to get around to it).

>I think some people get confused by the SVR3 things that were
>grafted into SunOS 4.1.x: vi using terminfo and the HDB uucp
>system are the first two that come to mind.

Actually, the SVisms had been coming in dating quite a while back; I
think really early versions included an SV "cpio", and the Bourne shell,
"make", and Berkmail were SVR2-derived in 3.0 - the big influx started
in 3.2, and continued in 4.0, with SVR3.2 "vi" and HDB UUCP showing up
in 4.1.

Joerg Schilling

May 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/30/99
In article <agI33.3$Z6.3...@chrome.eng.netapp.com>,

Guy Harris <g...@tooting.uucp> wrote:
>Joerg Schilling <j...@cs.tu-berlin.de> wrote:
>>Is it really labelled SunOS 2.0? I remember the boot message was something
>>like "BSD 4.x Sun ...."
>
>If I remember correctly, the pre-4.0 boot message was something like
>
> Sun UNIX 4.2BSD Release x.y (<config file name>) #N: <date>
>
>where the "x.y" is the SunOS version number. I'm a bit skeptical of the
>claim that 3.x announced itself as "SunOS" on boot; I seem to remember
>us first doing that in 4.0 (at least in part because we didn't want AT&T
>getting cranky because we were using the Sacred Trademark on code that
>was more than just minimally-modified System V).

You are right. I cannot read the 3.5 install tape as it is QIC-11 and I would
need different tape drive (the QIC-150 only reads QIC-150 and QIC-24)....

but I found the 3.5 source and here is the file newvers.sh:

PATH=/usr/ucb:/bin:/usr/bin
if [ ! -r version ]; then echo 0 > version; fi
touch version
echo `cat version` `basename \`pwd\`` `cat ../conf/RELEASE` | \
awk ' { version = $1 + 1; system = $2; release = $3; }\
END { printf "char version[] = \"Sun UNIX 4.2 Release %s (%s) #%d: ", release, system, version > "vers.c";\
printf "%d\n", version > "version"; }'
echo `date`'\nCopyright (c) 1986 by Sun Microsystems, Inc.\n";' >> vers.c

Jerry Gitopawiro

Jun 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/4/99
Who can tell me where I can by the Solaris 2.6 (2.5 2.7) ?
I am living in the Netherlands.

Tanks,

Jerry