how can I restart X server?

cuiwen...@163.com

Aug 5, 2008, 9:50:18 PM8/5/08
I copy the /usr/dt/config/Xservers to /etc/dt/config/Xservers and add
-d 24 then it become 24 color depth
but I must reboot the computer ! but I don't want reboot the computer.
more better I want only one user become 24 depth color.and other user
not become 24 color
How can I start X server?
Thank you !!

mpro...@gmail.com

Aug 6, 2008, 1:34:37 AM8/6/08

I am assuming you want to restart your cde enviroment check out
publib.boluder.ibm.com it explains this. You might want to be sure no
one else is logged in or using any dtlogin processes since it will
blow them out of the water.

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/pseries/v5r3/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.aix.commadmn/doc/commadmndita/nfs_intro.htm

Stopping the Common Desktop Environment manually

When you manually stop the Login Manager, all X Servers and desktop
sessions that the Login Manager started are stopped.

1. Open a terminal emulator window, and log in as root.
2. Obtain the process ID of the Login Manager by typing the
following:

cat /var/dt/Xpid

3. Stop the Login Manager by typing:

kill -term process_id

Starting the Common Desktop Environment manually

Use this procedure to start the Common Desktop Environment manually.

1. Log in to your system as root.
2. At the command line, type the following:

/usr/dt/bin/dtlogin -daemon

A Desktop Login screen is displayed. When you log in, a desktop
session starts.

There is also a dtconfig command along with a reset option not all the
pieces to that do a man on dtconfig used for enable / disabling and
reseting..

Hope this helps some

-Mp

cuiwen...@163.com

Aug 6, 2008, 9:31:09 AM8/6/08
On Aug 6, 1:34 pm, mprod...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Aug 5, 6:50 pm, cuiwenzhu1...@163.com wrote:
>
> > I copy the /usr/dt/config/Xservers to /etc/dt/config/Xservers and  add
> > -d 24 then it become 24 color depth
> > but I must reboot the computer ! but I don't want reboot the computer.
> > more better I want only one user become 24 depth color.and other user
> > not become 24 color
> > How can I start X server?
> > Thank you !!
>
> I am assuming you want to restart your cde enviroment check out
> publib.boluder.ibm.com it explains this.  You might want to be sure no
> one else is logged in or using any dtlogin processes since it will
> blow them out of the water.
>
> http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/pseries/v5r3/index.jsp?topic...

> Stopping the Common Desktop Environment manually
>
> When you manually stop the Login Manager, all X Servers and desktop
> sessions that the Login Manager started are stopped.
>
>    1. Open a terminal emulator window, and log in as root.
>    2. Obtain the process ID of the Login Manager by typing the
> following:
>
>       cat /var/dt/Xpid
>
>    3. Stop the Login Manager by typing:
>
>       kill -term process_id
>
> Starting the Common Desktop Environment manually
>
> Use this procedure to start the Common Desktop Environment manually.
>
>    1. Log in to your system as root.
>    2. At the command line, type the following:
>
>       /usr/dt/bin/dtlogin -daemon
>
> A Desktop Login screen is displayed. When you log in, a desktop
> session starts.
>
> There is also a dtconfig command along with a reset option not all the
> pieces to that do a man on dtconfig used for enable / disabling and
> reseting..
>
> Hope this helps some
>
> -Mp

Thank you for your help ,I solving the problem !Maybe can't make
different user use different color depth.
But't I don't know which command can know the aix color depth .I konw
the depth use the x11 interface.Thank you fro your help!