dvi2tex---Summary.

Kristian R. Miltersen

Jul 1, 1993, 10:47:18 PM7/1/93
Dear TeXperts

I have got a dozen of replys on my question concerning dvi2tex.
Thanks everybody. Lots of people recommended dvi2tty which can be
located on varios sites. dvi2tty recovers the straight forward text
then with a printout from your dvi-file you have to put back all the
TeX commands and unfortunately all the mathematical formulas too.

I will like to emphasize one of the replys I got. (Included in this
message.) If you are using emTeX the program dvispell by Eberhard
Mattes might be your best shot. Originally made as a preprocessor to
a spell checking program. dvispell uses a custom changeable data
file to define which characters is to be converted and what they are
being converted to. By default it converts using codepage 850
including most European special characters. Furthermore, it converts
half of your formulaes, i.e., it converts f(t) but of course it
cannot convert \int_t^s.

Thanks ones again to all who offered me there time to help.

Kristian

Date: Mon, 28 Jun 93 12:00:49 EDT
From: Emilio Lopes <@gamma.dou.dk,@vm.uni-c.dk:CENDFI65@BRUFPB>
Subject: Re: dvi2tex???
To: "Kristian R. Miltersen" <K...@busieco.ou.dk>

On 28 Jun 93 13:26:17 GTM-1 you said:
>Can anyone tell me if there exists a program that converts a dvi file
>back to a tex file. And where I eventually can find such a program.

You can use dvispell, by Eberhard Mattes (Do you know emTeX?)
Try ftp.uni-stuttgart.de directory
/pub/soft/tex/systems/msdos/emtex/betatest/ file dvispell.zip

DVISPELL tranforms a dvi file in a TEXT file, good for spelling.
You can add the (La)TeX commands to the text file.
>I know somebody who just lost his master thesis.

Sure he will be more careful with his Phd. thesis... ;)

Emilio C. Lopes CEND...@BRUFPB.BITNET
Physics Lab - UFPB --- BRAZIL CENDFI65%BRU...@UICVM.UIC.EDU