problems after updating to MiKTeX 2.9 and WinEdt 6‏

Alan

Apr 18, 2011, 4:10:07 PM4/18/11
Hello. I have a problem that probably has to do with the interaction
of WinEdt and MiKTeX. I hope someone may have a suggestion.

Late last week, I developed a beamer presentation in WinEdt. I
compiled it in LaTeX, and it ran without a problem.

Then, I learned about MiKTeX 2.9. I updated from 2.7 to 2.9. Then,
when I ran LaTeX on the same exact presentation without any changes to
it at all, I got...

! undefined control sequence

when it hit the very first slide.

I suspected this had something to do with the interaction between
WinEdt 5 and MiKTeX 2.9. So, then I upgraded to WinEdt 6. Still, I
get the exact same issue. I even checked through the update wizard to
make sure all my packages were up to date, and everything seems to be.

Is there an obvious step that I missed? Do I need to make some simple
change to my configuration?

I would be happy to offer up any additional information that might be
useful.

Thank you so much for your help! a

zappathustra

Apr 18, 2011, 4:13:50 PM4/18/11

What control sequence is undefined would be a good start :)
You should find it just below the line you quoted in the log file.

Best,
Paul

Alan

Apr 18, 2011, 4:18:21 PM4/18/11
> Paul- Hide quoted text -

Good point. Here are the lines before and after...

("C:\Program Files\MiKTeX 2.9\tex\latex\amsfonts\umsb.fd")
! Undefined control sequence.
<argument> ...{\beamer@shorttitle }\Hy@xspace@end
\Hy@LinkMath
\Hy@SaveSpace...
l.143 \end{frame}

Heiko Oberdiek

Apr 18, 2011, 4:46:00 PM4/18/11
Alan <asli...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> ! Undefined control sequence.
> <argument> ...{\beamer@shorttitle }\Hy@xspace@end

Update hyperref >= 2011/04/09 6.82f.
The current version is 2011/04/17 6.82g.

--
Heiko Oberdiek

Alan

Apr 18, 2011, 4:51:27 PM4/18/11
On Apr 18, 4:46 pm, Heiko Oberdiek <heiko.oberd...@googlemail.com>
wrote:

Wow, Heiko. I hope (and believe) that it really is that simple.

BUT...I'm not sure what you mean by that. Are you just saying that I
need to update the hyperref package? If so, can I just do that
through the update wizard in WinEdt? It's weird, because it told me I
was completely up to date. a

Heiko Oberdiek

Apr 18, 2011, 6:10:24 PM4/18/11
Alan <asli...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Then you have to wait until the update hits MiKTeX
(probably soon) or install hyperref manually.

Also the following dirty workaround might work:

\makeatletter
\def\Hy@xspace@end{}
\makeatother
\documentclass{beamer}

--
Heiko Oberdiek

GL

Apr 18, 2011, 6:07:44 PM4/18/11
Le 19/04/2011 00:10, Heiko Oberdiek a écrit :

> Alan<asli...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> Also the following dirty workaround might work:
>
> \makeatletter
> \def\Hy@xspace@end{}
> \makeatother

For this kind of tricky tricks, I like

\expandafter\def\csname Hy@xspace@end\endcsname {}

But poeple prefer changing the catcodes - a difficult concept -
rather than using \csname ...\endcsname - a simple concept.

;-)

> \documentclass{beamer}

Heiko Oberdiek

Apr 18, 2011, 6:28:41 PM4/18/11
GL <goua...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Le 19/04/2011 00:10, Heiko Oberdiek a écrit :
> > Alan<asli...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Also the following dirty workaround might work:
> >
> > \makeatletter
> > \def\Hy@xspace@end{}
> > \makeatother
>
> For this kind of tricky tricks, I like
>
> \expandafter\def\csname Hy@xspace@end\endcsname {}

or

\csname @namedef\endcsname{Hy@xspace@end}{}

or

\expandafter\let\csname Hy@xspace@end\expandafter\endcsname
\csname @empty\endcsname

I admit, the last one looks ugly.

\csname let\expandafter\endcsname
\csname Hy@xspace@end\expandafter\endcsname
\csname @empty\endcsname

is much nicer.

;-)

--
Heiko Oberdiek

GL

Apr 18, 2011, 6:33:16 PM4/18/11
Le 19/04/2011 00:28, Heiko Oberdiek a écrit :

> I admit, the last one looks ugly.
>
> \csname let\expandafter\endcsname
> \csname Hy@xspace@end\expandafter\endcsname
> \csname @empty\endcsname
>
> is much nicer.
>
> ;-)

Yes but not general enough...

\scantokens{\makeatletter\csname let\expandafter\endcsname
\csname Hy@xspace@end\expandafter\endcsname
\csname @empty\endcsname\makeatother}

is more secure !

Heiko Oberdiek

Apr 18, 2011, 6:43:43 PM4/18/11
GL <goua...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Le 19/04/2011 00:28, Heiko Oberdiek a écrit :
> >
> > I admit, the last one looks ugly.
> >
> > \csname let\expandafter\endcsname
> > \csname Hy@xspace@end\expandafter\endcsname
> > \csname @empty\endcsname
> >
> > is much nicer.
> >
> > ;-)
>
> Yes but not general enough...
>

> \scantokens[...]

Requires e-TeX ;-(

--
Heiko Oberdiek

GL

Apr 18, 2011, 6:58:28 PM4/18/11

Humm.. Right. But i don't even know how to disable the e-TeX
extensions...

GL

Apr 18, 2011, 7:17:47 PM4/18/11
Le 19/04/2011 00:43, Heiko Oberdiek a écrit :
> GL<goua...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Requires e-TeX ;-(

One solution for the OP without e-TeX :

{\globaldefs1
\halign{ \let #\@empty \cr
\expandafter\noexpand\csname Hy@xspace@end\endcsname \cr}
}

;-)

Philipp Stephani

Apr 19, 2011, 9:54:02 AM4/19/11
GL <goua...@gmail.com> writes:

> Le 19/04/2011 00:10, Heiko Oberdiek a écrit :
>> Alan<asli...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Also the following dirty workaround might work:
>>
>> \makeatletter
>> \def\Hy@xspace@end{}
>> \makeatother
>
> For this kind of tricky tricks, I like
>
> \expandafter\def\csname Hy@xspace@end\endcsname {}

Or, in pure LaTeX:

\newenvironment*{Hy@xspace@end}{}{}

;-)

--
Change “LookInSig” to “tcalveu” to answer by mail.

Alan

Apr 19, 2011, 11:25:45 AM4/19/11
On Apr 19, 9:54 am, Philipp Stephani <LookIn...@arcor.de> wrote:

> GL <gouail...@gmail.com> writes:
> > Le 19/04/2011 00:10, Heiko Oberdiek a écrit :
> >> Alan<aslit...@hotmail.com>  wrote:

> >> Also the following dirty workaround might work:
>
> >>    \makeatletter
> >>    \def\Hy@xspace@end{}
> >>    \makeatother
>
> > For this kind of tricky tricks, I like
>
> >   \expandafter\def\csname Hy@xspace@end\endcsname {}
>
> Or, in pure LaTeX:
>
> \newenvironment*{Hy@xspace@end}{}{}
>
> ;-)
>
> --
> Change “LookInSig” to “tcalveu” to answer by mail.

Thank you all, very, very much. Ulrike's simple solution...

\makeatletter\def\Hy@xspace@end{}\makeatother

seems to be working splendidly. As soon as the update to hyperref
gets propagated, I will be sure to pick it up. Thank you again! a

Ahmed Musa

Apr 19, 2011, 4:14:18 PM4/19/11
On Apr 19, 12:17 am, GL <gouail...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Le 19/04/2011 00:43, Heiko Oberdiek a écrit :
>
> > GL<gouail...@gmail.com>  wrote:

> > Requires e-TeX ;-(
>
> One solution for the OP without e-TeX :
>
> {\globaldefs1
> \halign{ \let #\@empty \cr
>              \expandafter\noexpand\csname Hy@xspace@end\endcsname \cr}
>
> }
>
> ;-)

The following also works, since \relax is not expandable:

\halign{\global\let#\@empty\cr
\expandafter\csname Hy@xspace@end\endcsname\cr}

Ahmed Musa

Apr 19, 2011, 4:19:27 PM4/19/11