fleeting .ps file

1 view

anand selka

Aug 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/23/99
Hi

I have a ps file that has been generated by a Synopsys tool, having
more than 100 pages. I'd like to include it in my latex document. I
converted each page into a ps file, using 'psselect' and tried to
include it with /includegraphics[x,y]{fig} command. When i view the
final generated ps file in ghostview, what happens is that the ps page
appears momentarily and then disappears (the ps page appeared normally
when individually viewed with ghostview). A printout of that particular
page is empty. I have tried other options like converting it to .eps
format (using ps2epsi). The same problem persists. Why is this
happening and is there a solution to include my ps pages or the 100 odd
page large ps document in my latex document ?

Thanks & Regards--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Anand P. Selka
Research Assistant, ICS Department
Advisor : Prof. Daniel D. Gajski
school : #444 CS building, UCI house : 6364 Adobe Cir. Rd. S.
Irvine CA - 92697 Irvine CA - 92612
(949) 824 - 8059 (949) 509 - 9810
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Robin Fairbairns

Aug 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/24/99
anand selka <ase...@ics.uci.edu> wrote:
>I have a ps file that has been generated by a Synopsys tool, having
>more than 100 pages. I'd like to include it in my latex document. I
>converted each page into a ps file, using 'psselect' and tried to
>include it with /includegraphics[x,y]{fig} command. [...]

\includegraphics (and all other tex postscript inclusions that i know
of) aim to include encapsulated postscript _only_. encapsulated
postscript may not (among other things) contain postscript clearpage
(or whatever they're called) commands. that yours inevitably will
explains the symptoms you see, in a sort of way.

you've two options:

- split the synopsis output into >100 separate .eps files, and include
them separately (ensuring you have latex \clearpage commands on a
regular basis if you're putting them in separate figures).

- print the file separately, and stitch it together with the latex
output, manually, after printing.
--
Robin Fairbairns, Cambridge

James Kilfiger

Aug 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/24/99
anand selka wrote:
>Hi

>I have a ps file that has been generated by a Synopsys tool, having
>more than 100 pages. I'd like to include it in my latex document. I
>converted each page into a ps file, using 'psselect' and tried to
>include it with /includegraphics[x,y]{fig} command. When i view the
>final generated ps file in ghostview, what happens is that the ps page
>appears momentarily and then disappears (the ps page appeared normally
>when individually viewed with ghostview). A printout of that particular
>page is empty. I have tried other options like converting it to .eps
>format (using ps2epsi). The same problem persists. Why is this
>happening and is there a solution to include my ps pages or the 100 odd
>page large ps document in my latex document ?

\includegraphics cannot include multipage postscript file. EPS files
cannot have more than one page (no matter what certain windows printers
think).

For multipage inserts the easiest thing to do is to say
\addtocounter{page}{100} to increase the page number by 100, print
seperately and insert by hand. Otherwise you could: Edit the postscript
by hand, make 100 1-page files, or I think Adobe have tools for managing
PDF, so if you have Acrobat you can probably do something.

James