flafter

Tobias Wahl

Jul 7, 2003, 9:00:03 AM7/7/03
flafter ensures that a float is only placed after its first reference.
However, this makes it more likely that the float appears on the next page,
which I find undesirable. Is there a way to allow the placement of a float
BEFORE the first reference AS LONG AS the first reference is on the same
page? An additional difficulty may be introduced when requiring that after
the first reference another 3-5 lines (variable!) of text must be seen on
the page.

I know that sounds pretty complex, but I was wondering whether somebody here
would have a quick fix? :)

Best wishes,

Tobias

Donald Arseneau

Jul 7, 2003, 8:23:19 PM7/7/03
"Tobias Wahl" <enx...@nottingham.ac.uk> writes:

> flafter ensures that a float is only placed after its first reference.

I think you misunderstand (or maybe I do). flafter puts the float after
its specification, (the figure environment) not its first \ref-erence.

> BEFORE the first reference AS LONG AS the first reference is on the same
> page?

Ordinary LaTeX (supposedly) never puts the float on a page before
it's specification.

Donald Arseneau as...@triumf.ca

Frank Mittelbach

Jul 8, 2003, 1:43:23 PM7/8/03
Donald Arseneau wrote:

> "Tobias Wahl" <enx...@nottingham.ac.uk> writes:
>
>> flafter ensures that a float is only placed after its first reference.
>
> I think you misunderstand (or maybe I do). flafter puts the float after
> its specification, (the figure environment) not its first \ref-erence.

correct the important point is not the \ref butthe actual placement of the
float in the source.

as for flafter that basically does not allow "t" position on the current
page

>> BEFORE the first reference AS LONG AS the first reference is on the same
>> page?
>
> Ordinary LaTeX (supposedly) never puts the float on a page before
> it's specification.

you are right Donald, but that is not an answer to Tobias' question I think.
ordinary latex does in fact by default puts a float before its
specification as long as it is on the same page as it usually tries "t"
(top) position first.

what latex does not and in fact can't is to put the float on an earlier page
even it that placement would be on the same spread.

frank