Curious Sinclair Investigation

Kevin Reilly

Jan 22, 2006, 7:26:42 AM1/22/06
I did a quick search on Google for this one but if anyone spotted it
before, they don't seem to have mentioned it.

While watching a re-run of an episode of 'CSI: Miami' from a couple of
years ago, a scene popped up with the following audio:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/denali/csi/csimiami.mp3

Take a listen to the background sounds of the 'XRF' machine that play
throughout the scene. I know a lot of 8-bit era computer noises can
appear similar, but that sounds uncannily like a Sinclair (or in this
case probably a Timex-Sinclair) machine loading up a SCREEN$ from tape.
It has a very distinctive attribute-table loading noise at the end. If
you listen carefully in some places there's even a slight 'bleep' after
the data, like you used to get with certain duplication programs.

There's probably nothing significant in this. Many an 8-bit cassette
labelled 'generic computer noises' or similar. I thought it was amusing,
though. I kept waiting for Lunar Jetman to pop up on Horatio's monitor.

--
Kev
"Special today -- no ice cream."

Colin Woodcock

Jan 22, 2006, 8:11:15 AM1/22/06
"Kevin Reilly" <use...@denali.org.uk> wrote in message

>I did a quick search on Google for this one but if anyone spotted it
> before, they don't seem to have mentioned it.
>
> While watching a re-run of an episode of 'CSI: Miami' from a couple of
> years ago, a scene popped up with the following audio:
>
> http://homepage.ntlworld.com/denali/csi/csimiami.mp3

That definitely sounds like the end of a loading screen loading to me - last
third of the screen followed by attribute data. This sound then seems to
loop.

Well spotted!

Colin

--
ZXF: Download the PDF magazine for free at www.cwoodcock.co.uk/zxf

Matthew Westcott

Jan 22, 2006, 10:18:06 AM1/22/06
Colin Woodcock wrote:
> "Kevin Reilly" <use...@denali.org.uk> wrote in message
>
>>While watching a re-run of an episode of 'CSI: Miami' from a couple of
>>years ago, a scene popped up with the following audio:
>>
>> http://homepage.ntlworld.com/denali/csi/csimiami.mp3
>
> That definitely sounds like the end of a loading screen loading to me - last
> third of the screen followed by attribute data. This sound then seems to
> loop.
>
> Well spotted!

This may be getting way too geeky, but... I'm positive that that's
exactly the same clip of loading noise that Aphex Twin sampled on Corn
Mouth, which Eq identifed as Sabre Wulf.
http://cl4.org/comp/spectrum/music/
Coincidence?

Bohus Král

Jan 22, 2006, 11:37:06 AM1/22/06
Download this PC demo

http://www.scene.org/file.php?file=/parties/2001/vip3/demo/x%2Brr%2Bf_couloir14.zip&fileinfo

and carrefully listen the sound. You will hear there Spectrum loading noise.

Paul E Collins

Jan 22, 2006, 12:50:09 PM1/22/06
"Matthew Westcott" <gas...@raww.org> wrote:

> > > http://homepage.ntlworld.com/denali/csi/csimiami.mp3
> >
> > That definitely sounds like the end of a loading screen
> > attribute data. This sound then seems to loop.
> >
> > Well spotted!
>
> This may be getting way too geeky, but... I'm positive
> that that's exactly the same clip of loading noise that
> Aphex Twin sampled on Corn Mouth, which Eq identifed
> as Sabre Wulf. http://cl4.org/comp/spectrum/music/

(It wasn't me that identified the sample - I can't remember who did.)

I agree that it's Sabre Wulf, and I'm tempted to mention this CSI
thing on my page. I know the page is supposed to be about "popular
music", but I never thought anything like this would turn up from TV.

Anyway, it seems that CSI's "mass spectrometer" is really a "matched
Spectrum-picture".

P.

Biggo

Jan 22, 2006, 2:44:11 PM1/22/06
Paul E Collins <find_my_re...@CL4.org> disse:

> > > That definitely sounds like the end of a loading screen
> > > attribute data. This sound then seems to loop.
> >

> > This may be getting way too geeky, but... I'm positive
> > that that's exactly the same clip of loading noise that
> > Aphex Twin sampled on Corn Mouth, which Eq identifed
> > as Sabre Wulf. http://cl4.org/comp/spectrum/music/
>

> I agree that it's Sabre Wulf, and I'm tempted to mention this CSI
> thing on my page. I know the page is supposed to be about "popular
> music", but I never thought anything like this would turn up from TV.
>
> Anyway, it seems that CSI's "mass spectrometer" is really a "matched
> Spectrum-picture".

That sound must have been included in some sound design compilation.
You often hear the same sounds in very different situations - TV ads,
movies, documentaries.
*Sigh* my sound designer CDs have "computer sounds" that come straight
from the '60s. Line printers, computer tapes, card readers. No Speccy
sounds. Time to freshen up my CD collection.

--
| ||_ (o) __ __ __ | Biggo. Strattinare <mailto:big...@dplanet.ch>
| |'o\| |/o \/o \/o \ | Se/quando c'e', c'e': <http://biggo.dyndns.org>
| |._/|_|\__/\__/\__/ | *Non e' bello cio' che e' bello,
| /_/ /_/ | figurarsi cio' che e' brutto.

Kevin Reilly

Jan 22, 2006, 3:06:05 PM1/22/06
On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 Paul E Collins wrote:

>I agree that it's Sabre Wulf, and I'm tempted to mention this CSI
>thing on my page. I know the page is supposed to be about "popular
>music", but I never thought anything like this would turn up from TV.

If you do decide to mention it, feel free to take a copy of the MP3 and
archive it elsewhere. I'm not the copyright owner, obviously, so it's
not my call from a distribution point of view; I just can't guarantee
the file will be on my web space forever.

For the record, the episode in question is 'Bunk', season 1 episode 13.

--
Kev
"Mixing bowl set designed to please a cook with round bottom for efficient

Anders Carlsson

Jan 22, 2006, 3:18:34 PM1/22/06
Kevin Reilly <use...@denali.org.uk> writes:

> it's not my call from a distribution point of view;

If it actually is Sabre Wulf, did the company who once recorded
the loading sound and put it on a sound effects record have a
license from Ultimate? Would the sound as presented in the CSI
episode and the other song be possible to reverse-engineer to
a loadable program, or is the sound quality enough damaged?

--
Anders Carlsson

spi...@freenet.co.uk

Jan 22, 2006, 6:13:54 PM1/22/06
Bohus Král <boh...@host.sk> did eloquently scribble:

> Download this PC demo
>
> http://www.scene.org/file.php?file=/parties/2001/vip3/demo/x%2Brr%2Bf_couloir14.zip&fileinfo
>
> and carrefully listen the sound. You will hear there Spectrum loading noise.

Let's not forget a much earlier occurrance...
Kirk, spock and co have just travelled back in time using the slingshot
effect in their stolen klingon bird of prey...

The moment the slingshot effect completes and it shows them all slouched in
their seats... listen carefully...

speccy loading sound...

(Voyage home)
| spi...@freenet.co.uk | Windows95 (noun): 32 bit extensions and a |

sda |

Jan 22, 2006, 11:36:25 PM1/22/06

<spi...@freenet.co.uk> wrote in message

> Bohus Král <boh...@host.sk> did eloquently scribble:
>>

>> Download this PC demo
>>
>> http://www.scene.org/file.php?file=/parties/2001/vip3/demo/x%2Brr%2Bf_couloir14.zip&fileinfo
>>
>> and carrefully listen the sound. You will hear there Spectrum loading
>> noise.
>
> Let's not forget a much earlier occurrance...
> Kirk, spock and co have just travelled back in time using the slingshot
> effect in their stolen klingon bird of prey...
>
> The moment the slingshot effect completes and it shows them all slouched
> in
> their seats... listen carefully...
>
> speccy loading sound...
>
> (Voyage home)
> --

My ears nearly fell off when I heard that on a Star Trek sound effects tape,
I think it was called an 'avatar' in the sleeve notes!

Anders Carlsson

Jan 23, 2006, 1:16:01 PM1/23/06
"sda |" <marill...@tiscali.co.uk> writes:

>> listen carefully... speccy loading sound...

> My ears nearly fell off when I heard that on a Star Trek sound
> effects tape, I think it was called an 'avatar' in the sleeve notes!

Maybe they mean avAtari? :-)

--
Anders Carlsson

Matthew Westcott

Jan 25, 2006, 7:53:50 AM1/25/06
spi...@freenet.co.uk wrote:

> Let's not forget a much earlier occurrance...
> Kirk, spock and co have just travelled back in time using the slingshot
> effect in their stolen klingon bird of prey...
>
> The moment the slingshot effect completes and it shows them all slouched in
> their seats... listen carefully...
>
> speccy loading sound...
>
> (Voyage home)

Ooh, for a moment I thought I'd solved the mystery. Aphex Twin was a
production designer on Star Trek!
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0416868/

...but not for Voyage Home. And there is just a remote possibility that
it might be a different bloke called Richard D. James.

Paul E Collins

Jan 25, 2006, 12:42:56 PM1/25/06
"Matthew Westcott" <gas...@raww.org> wrote:

> Ooh, for a moment I thought I'd solved the mystery.
> Aphex Twin was a production designer on Star Trek!
> http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0416868/
> ...but not for Voyage Home. And there is just a remote
> possibility that it might be a different bloke called
> Richard D. James.

Perhaps you're intentionally being a bit sarcastic, but I think the
chances of that RDJ being Aphex Twin are infinitesimal!

P.

John Elliott

Jan 25, 2006, 1:54:13 PM1/25/06
Sinclair PC200 512k (V1.5) on 25 January 2006
: The moment the slingshot effect completes and it shows them all slouched in
: their seats... listen carefully...

: speccy loading sound...

Apparently not.
<http://groups.google.co.uk/group/comp.sys.sinclair/msg/6fd71c9c39b67f80?hl=la&>

--
--------------------------- ,@@. ,@@. TRYMON BEAR 1
John Elliott | o @@@@ @@@@ \\.....\_O_

spi...@freenet.co.uk

Jan 25, 2006, 3:05:22 PM1/25/06
John Elliott <j...@seasip.demon.co.uk> did eloquently scribble:

> Sinclair PC200 512k (V1.5) on 25 January 2006
> : The moment the slingshot effect completes and it shows them all slouched in
> : their seats... listen carefully...
>
> : speccy loading sound...
>
> Apparently not.
> <http://groups.google.co.uk/group/comp.sys.sinclair/msg/6fd71c9c39b67f80?hl=la&>

Wow! Alan Cox was a speccy user!
Linus was a QL user...
No-one can argue that sinclair was a major force in linux development now!
:)
| spi...@freenet.co.uk | "Are you pondering what I'm pondering Pinky?" |
|Andrew Halliwell BSc(hons)| |

Duncan Snowden

Jan 25, 2006, 6:01:36 PM1/25/06
spi...@freenet.co.uk wrote:

> Wow! Alan Cox was a speccy user!
> Linus was a QL user...
> No-one can argue that sinclair was a major force in linux development now!
> :)

Yeah, *and* it's only considered any good 'cos it's dirt cheap. Uncanny.

[Runs away, really very fast indeed. Turns and yells from middle
distance, "Actually, that's not fair... on the Speccy". Resumes running.]

--
Duncan Snowden.

spi...@freenet.co.uk

Jan 25, 2006, 8:56:13 PM1/25/06
Duncan Snowden <d...@ukonline.co.uk> did eloquently scribble:
/me shakes his fist as the figure vanishes into the distance...
Grrrrrrr

| spi...@freenet.co.uk | |

Philip Kendall

Jan 26, 2006, 5:29:52 AM1/26/06
In article <dt0la3-...@ridcully.fsnet.co.uk>,

<spi...@freenet.co.uk> wrote:

>Wow! Alan Cox was a speccy user!

And has given distribution permission :-)

Cheers,

Phil

--
Philip Kendall <pa...@srcf.ucam.org>