Can I remap the keyboard?

Martin Bergendahl

Jan 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/19/96
I am considering bying a brittish Psion 3a/2MB. The reason being
that the swedish version won't be out until summer. But in that
case I must be able to write special swedish letters without
having to press some obscure key combinations.
So my question is simple: Can I remap the keyboard so that for
example I could use Control and '*' or '/' for swedish characters?

< Martin Bergendahl, d92...@efd.lth.se >

Konstantin I. Saliy

Jan 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/21/96
I'd written a keyboard driver which allows to have two keyboard maps and
switch between them by pressing two Shifts. Also I have keyboard map editor
which allows to edit both maps, but only for light gray buttons. Again, I've
implemented editor only for single key or Shift+key (CAPS will work also)
combination. Neither Ctrl+key nor Psion+key combinations couldn't be
reassigned in current release, but I could implement it later if anybody need
it (+960 bytes of memory). Driver itself requires only 6Kb of RAM.

Indeed I'd written it some months ago. In the first incarnation it was Russian
driver with ability to substitute all system fonts. For European users who
have English Psion it will be only keyboard driver (without fonts loader),
because all fonts are already in ROM.

I have to write READ.ME file and plan to put it into usual places next week.
It will be freeware application because today I have no way to receive money
from other countries :(.

Regards,
Konstantin
Konstantin I. Saliy |e-mail: <k...@ipmce.ru>
Institute of Precise Mechanics |Leninsky prospekt, 51
and Computer Equipment, |Moscow, Russia, 117914
Russian Academy of Science |(095)132-9277

lebre...@ccmail.cgi.fr

Jan 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/22/96

From: k...@ipmce.ru (Konstantin I. Saliy)

>I'd written a keyboard driver which allows to have two keyboard maps and switch
>between them by pressing two Shifts. Also I have keyboard map editor which
>allows to edit both maps, but only for light gray buttons.

This seems verry interesting, but will it work *all* *the* *time* or only when
used with the native apps.

To be clear, does it uses kind of "sendkeys" like MacSys or Keys, that can only
be coped with by *some* apps.

Philippe LEBRETON - CGI-Informatique (an IBM company) - Paris

E-Mail : Lebre...@CGI.Fr or FrCG...@IBMmail.com
| The bigger the computer is, the more trouble you get... |
| I hate my PC....................... I love my Psion Series 3a {;-) |
| AND I WORK WITH MAINFRAMES ! stupid ! Am I not ? {|-( |

Konstantin I. Saliy

Jan 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/23/96
<lebre...@ccmail.cgi.fr> wrote:
>This seems verry interesting, but will it work *all* *the* *time* or only when
>used with the native apps.
>To be clear, does it uses kind of "sendkeys" like MacSys or Keys, that can only
>be coped with by *some* apps.
No. It work on very low level - it substitutes O/S keyboard map. So it is
compatible with *all* Psion applications.

Konstantin I. Saliy

Jan 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/24/96
Psion Series 3/3a uses code page 850 which contains almost
all Latin based European letters, but on original English or
US versions to enter a symbol with code>128 user have to
press more than one key. In this case fast typing of French,
German etc. text is almost impossible. Of course, there are
local versions of Psion for most European languages, but
sometimes people prefer to buy English one (the rumor is they
are cheaper).
With this package you can redefine any of 40 light gray
keys in both normal and shifted state and have two layouts,
e.g. standard and for quick text typing. Ones driver
installed layouts can be switched by pressing two Shift keys
simultaneously. Layout editor allows you to edit keyboard
maps, save them into files for future use or to change
layouts currently in use by driver.
Basic features:
- once installed driver uses 6.3Kb of memory;
- it is fast - it substitutes O/S keyboard maps and only
waits for hot keys (2 Shifts);
- it is compatible with all applications because it
doesn't simulates key presses;
- keyboard editor is very easy to use - just run it and
see!
I'd put it into IC archive, comp.binaries.psion and FrontierNet Psion FTP
(KBDMAP.ZIP). You can try to download it immediately at least from FrontierNet
<ftp://ftp.frontiernet.net/pub/psion/incoming/kbdmap.zip>
Please, read README.TXT (or .WRD) inside package for more details.

Regards,
Konstantin.

Eric Slone

Jan 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/24/96
On Wed, 24 Jan 1996, Konstantin I. Saliy wrote:

> I'd put it into IC archive, comp.binaries.psion and FrontierNet Psion FTP
> (KBDMAP.ZIP). You can try to download it immediately at least from FrontierNet
> <ftp://ftp.frontiernet.net/pub/psion/incoming/kbdmap.zip>
> Please, read README.TXT (or .WRD) inside package for more details.

Dear Sir:

The permissions are incorrect for this file and it cannot be downloaded.
Please set it readable to users who ftp in. Thanks,

Eric

J. Eric Slone George Mason University
Department of Chemistry
Mail Stop 3E2
Internet: esl...@gmu.edu Room 326B, Science & Technology 1
Compuserve: 73757,2776 Fairfax, Virginia 22030-4444
Fax: (703) 751-6639
Pager: (202) 597-2373 "True science teaches, above all, to
Voice: (703) 461-7078 doubt, and to be ignorant."
Miguel de Unamuno

Konstantin I. Saliy

Jan 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/25/96
Sorry, but you have to delete KEYMAP.APP from your KBDMAP.ZIP - it's previous
version of KBDMAP.APP with bug (not my but TopSpeed C).

Regards,
Konstantin

Michael Joyce

Jan 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/26/96
Konstantin I. Saliy wrote:

> With this package you can redefine any of 40 light gray
> keys in both normal and shifted state and have two layouts,
> e.g. standard and for quick text typing. Ones driver
> installed layouts can be switched by pressing two Shift keys
> simultaneously. Layout editor allows you to edit keyboard
> maps, save them into files for future use or to change
> layouts currently in use by driver.
> Basic features:
> - once installed driver uses 6.3Kb of memory;
> - it is fast - it substitutes O/S keyboard maps and only
> waits for hot keys (2 Shifts);
> - it is compatible with all applications because it
> doesn't simulates key presses;
> - keyboard editor is very easy to use - just run it and
> see!

> I'd put it into IC archive, comp.binaries.psion and FrontierNet Psion FTP
> (KBDMAP.ZIP). You can try to download it immediately at least from FrontierNet
> <ftp://ftp.frontiernet.net/pub/psion/incoming/kbdmap.zip>

Would I be able to use this to make a keyboard map with a numeric keypad
taking the place of the right hand of the keyboard (Like most laptops have
got)?
--
[ <<< M i c h a e l J o y c e mjo...@connexus.apana.org.au >>>>>]
[ http://connexus.apana.org.au/~mjoyce : Vistapro Page <">/vistapro ]

Daniel Pfund

Jan 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/27/96
In article <310847...@connexus.apana.org.au>, Michael Joyce <mjo...@connexus.apana.org.au> writes:
> Konstantin I. Saliy wrote:
>
>> With this package you can redefine any of 40 light gray
>> keys in both normal and shifted state and have two layouts,
> Would I be able to use this to make a keyboard map with a numeric keypad
> taking the place of the right hand of the keyboard (Like most laptops have
> got)?

Sure! Never thought about that one!
You would then just press the 2 shifts and there you have your numeric
keypad! Great idea!

Daniel P.
--
__
/// Daniel Pfund Email:<Pfu...@uni2a.unige.ch> AX25: HB9VBC@HB9IAP

John Crook

Jan 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/27/96
>Would I be able to use this to make a keyboard map with a numeric keypad
>taking the place of the right hand of the keyboard (Like most laptops have
>got)?
>--

Try S3aCalc - a calculator replacement which uses a numeric
keypad. At all the usual places.

Regards

John Crook