Mac version of the PC game "BOLO" available?

Jens Johansen

Mar 12, 1993, 7:32:50 PM3/12/93

Hullo, Mac gamers...

Friends of mine at work enjoy playing a game on their PC called BOLO on which
I have become hooked. Imagine how cheated I felt when the bolo I downloaded
from sumex was something else entirely! (though it does look rather nifty all
the same.)

Does anyone out there know the PC BOLO game, and whether it's available on
the Mac?

Thanks in advance!

Jens

(please respond by e-mail if possible...)
--
Jens Johansen (je...@seas.gwu.edu) | DISCLAIMER:
----------------------------------------| GWU may agree with what I say...

Howard S Shubs

Mar 13, 1993, 5:36:50 PM3/13/93
In <1993Mar13....@seas.gwu.edu> je...@seas.gwu.edu (Jens Johansen) writes:

>Friends of mine at work enjoy playing a game on their PC called BOLO on which
>I have become hooked. Imagine how cheated I felt when the bolo I downloaded
>from sumex was something else entirely! (though it does look rather nifty all
>the same.)

>Does anyone out there know the PC BOLO game, and whether it's available on
>the Mac?

What? There's a version of Bolo for IBM clones?? News to me! Stewart
Cheshire, I'm ashamed of you!
--
Howard S Shubs hsh...@bix.com For to win 100 victories in 100
The Denim Adept hsh...@cis.umassd.edu battles is not the acme of skill.

Howard S Shubs

Mar 13, 1993, 9:26:39 PM3/13/93
In <1ntq52$8...@agate.berkeley.edu> c60b...@web-3h.berkeley.edu (James Wang) writes:

>In article <C3uMt...@umassd.edu> hsh...@cis.umassd.edu (Howard S Shubs) writes:
>>In <1993Mar13....@seas.gwu.edu> je...@seas.gwu.edu (Jens Johansen) writes:

>>>Does anyone out there know the PC BOLO game, and whether it's available on
>>>the Mac?

>>What? There's a version of Bolo for IBM clones?? News to me! Stewart
>>Cheshire, I'm ashamed of you!

>hey, don't jump the gun just yet.

>the original Bolo, from the apple II era, was an arcade game.
>it was (i'm not too clear on this) two combatants on hover-
>platforms (?) in an arena.

>the author of the original bolo is rumored to be working on
>a mac version, but what will he name this version?

oic. Mr. Johansen, when you talk about Bolo in here, I assume that you
are talking about the game by Stewart Cheshire which is currently at
version 0.98, and which is a multi-player tank game.

Jens Johansen

Mar 13, 1993, 5:55:50 PM3/13/93
In article <C3uMt...@umassd.edu> hsh...@cis.umassd.edu (Howard S Shubs) writes:
>In <1993Mar13....@seas.gwu.edu> je...@seas.gwu.edu (Jens Johansen) writes:
>
>>Friends of mine at work enjoy playing a game on their PC called BOLO on which
>>I have become hooked. Imagine how cheated I felt when the bolo I downloaded
>>from sumex was something else entirely! (though it does look rather nifty all
>>the same.)
>
>>Does anyone out there know the PC BOLO game, and whether it's available on
>>the Mac?
>
>What? There's a version of Bolo for IBM clones?? News to me! Stewart
>Cheshire, I'm ashamed of you!

No, no! It's a totally different game entirely on the PC. They happen to have
the same name, that's all. The PC game is a puzzle kinda game with a guy in
a maze with some balls, blocks, force fields lasers and stairs to the next
level. No one has sold out anybody, as far as I know. Probably the only
breach of the rules here is that the name has been pinched by one party or
the other.

Jens

scott miller

Mar 14, 1993, 3:44:16 PM3/14/93
In article <C3w7t...@ccu.umanitoba.ca> John Andrusiak <uman...@umanitoba.ca> writes:
>In article <1993Mar14.1...@ee.eng.ohio-state.edu> Michael
>Zimmerman, zi...@kalman.eng.ohio-state.edu writes:
>
>There appears to be a lot of games called BOLO around:
>
>1) Bolo (Mac- Stuart Cheshire)
>2) Bolo (Acorn)
>3) Bolo (PC)
>4) Bolo (Apple II - tank/maze)
>5) Bolo (Apple II - Princess)

Actually, the game that I think the person was refering to about the princess
was Drol.

>6) Bolo (Arcade - hoverplatform?)

My only guess for this game would be bilestoad (hopefully coming out sometime
soon for the mac)

Scott

Michael Zimmerman

Mar 14, 1993, 11:26:25 AM3/14/93
>In <1ntq52$8...@agate.berkeley.edu> c60b...@web-3h.berkeley.edu (James Wang) writes:

>>>What? There's a version of Bolo for IBM clones?? News to me! Stewart
>>>Cheshire, I'm ashamed of you!
>
>>hey, don't jump the gun just yet.
>
>>the original Bolo, from the apple II era, was an arcade game.
>>it was (i'm not too clear on this) two combatants on hover-
>>platforms (?) in an arena.
>
>>the author of the original bolo is rumored to be working on
>>a mac version, but what will he name this version?

No, the original Bolo on the Apple II was this game with a Princess and
a little turtle (I think), and evil things flying around at you. It was
like a screen with 4 floor levels and you changed levels to capture (save)
the Princess and her pet. Once you saved them both, on to the next level.

The AWESOME game with 2 combatants on hover disks (if you found one)
was Bilestoad and word is that is being remade for the mac, thought I havent
seen any recent info on that.

Hope this helps,
Mike
--
zi...@ee.eng.ohio-state.edu
Humpty Dumpty was pushed... PADI AOW/drift/deep

Michael Zimmerman

Mar 14, 1993, 3:51:19 PM3/14/93

Yup, Scott is right I was thinking of Drol, not Bolo. the other game as
I said before is Bilestoad.

Beastie

Mar 14, 1993, 9:04:27 AM3/14/93
>5) Bolo (Apple II - Princess)

That's DROL this fellow is thinking of, methinx.

John Andrusiak

Mar 14, 1993, 2:08:06 PM3/14/93
>>>the original Bolo, from the apple II era, was an arcade game.
>>>it was (i'm not too clear on this) two combatants on hover-
>>>platforms (?) in an arena.
>>
>>>the author of the original bolo is rumored to be working on
>>>a mac version, but what will he name this version?
>
>No, the original Bolo on the Apple II was this game with a Princess and
>a little turtle (I think), and evil things flying around at you. It was
>like a screen with 4 floor levels and you changed levels to capture
(save)
>the Princess and her pet. Once you saved them both, on to the next
level.

The BOLO game on the Apple II I have was a one-player tank game. It was
played in a maze and the object was to destroy the base from which little
ships emanated.

There appears to be a lot of games called BOLO around:

1) Bolo (Mac- Stuart Cheshire)
2) Bolo (Acorn)
3) Bolo (PC)
4) Bolo (Apple II - tank/maze)

5) Bolo (Apple II - Princess)

6) Bolo (Arcade - hoverplatform?)

I can just see this getting into litigation if the PC guy who is supposed
to be porting Bolo-PC over to the Mac wants the Bolo name on the mac as
well. I wonder who has precedence.

Of course the word already has a lot of prior history. I am right in
assuming the word bolo is Keith Laumer's original invention?

--------------------------------------
John Andrusiak - uman...@umanitoba.ca

patl...@cubldr.colorado.edu

Mar 14, 1993, 5:09:53 PM3/14/93
> The BOLO game on the Apple II I have was a one-player tank game. It was
> played in a maze and the object was to destroy the base from which little
> ships emanated.

Hey! That was a great game... pretty simple, too. Make a good projects
for a budding programer who would otherwise be working on the 99th version
of mines for the macintosh.

As I recall, the players tank fired explosive bullets, and if you fired to
rapidly at a solid object the bullets would explode sooner and sooner so
you could blow yourself up if you weren't carefull. The bases had
regenerating walls, and you had to blast your way through 'em. When you
hit the center, the whole thing went up in a chain reaction.

Pretty cool little shooter.

Scott

Mark Halfen

Mar 15, 1993, 1:55:10 AM3/15/93

Yeah, Bolo was really cool. If someone were to implement it on the Mac, I would
certainly buy it/pay the shareware fee. I spent hours playing that game. So,
when I saw a Mac game named "bolo" last year, I almost jumped for joy, until I
realized it was totally different. The Apple IIe I played the game on was
barely powerfull enough for the game....when there were more than a few of the
little alien tanks, the display would really slow down. The game would probably
kick butt on a Centris, or even an LC II. If I could figure out how the
random mazes were generated, I might be tempted to take a stab at it myself
(in my limited spare time).

Mark Halfen

Chuck Shotton

Mar 15, 1993, 11:05:53 AM3/15/93

zi...@kalman.eng.ohio-state.edu (Michael Zimmerman) wrote:

> >>hey, don't jump the gun just yet.

> >>the original Bolo, from the apple II era, was an arcade game.
> >>it was (i'm not too clear on this) two combatants on hover-
> >>platforms (?) in an arena.

> >>the author of the original bolo is rumored to be working on
> >>a mac version, but what will he name this version?

> No, the original Bolo on the Apple II was this game with a Princess and
> a little turtle (I think), and evil things flying around at you. It was
> like a screen with 4 floor levels and you changed levels to capture (save)
> the Princess and her pet. Once you saved them both, on to the next level.

Wrong again! The original Bolo on the Apple ][ was a maze-based tank game
where you cruised around killing nasties and wiping out their nests. The
tank and turret operated independently and it took all fingers on both
hands to drive. There was a similar game on PCs called Rats!.

--_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-
Chuck Shotton |
Ass't Director, Academic Computing | "This space for rent."
UT Health Science Center Houston |
csho...@oac.hsc.uth.tmc.edu |
_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

Paul Kry

Mar 16, 1993, 10:48:33 AM3/16/93

Yes.. and the old tank/maze bolo for the apple was one of my favorite games!
I'm a budding programmer (and unfortunatly I've already made a 99th
version of minesweeper. :-) I've started programming the old version of
bolo on my mac but unfortunatly I've had to put it on hold because I've
got no reference books :-( I am planning to buy Inside Mac I but I know
if I buy that I'll just want to get the others and then I wont be able to
afford any of my textbooks next term!
I had some neat ideas for some simple enemy AI... I love the way
those bad guys in the maze would find their way to you!

If anyone else was addicted to this game as much as I am (and a
budding programmer or not) and is interested in teaming up on this project
I'd like to hear from you...

paul

email: pa...@debra.dgbt.doc.ca

Stuart Cheshire

Mar 16, 1993, 3:02:25 PM3/16/93

uman...@umanitoba.ca writes:
>1) Bolo (Mac- Stuart Cheshire)
>2) Bolo (Acorn)
>3) Bolo (PC)
>4) Bolo (Apple II - tank/maze)
>5) Bolo (Apple II - Princess)
>6) Bolo (Arcade - hoverplatform?)
>
>I can just see this getting into litigation if the PC guy who is supposed
>to be porting Bolo-PC over to the Mac wants the Bolo name on the mac as
>well. I wonder who has precedence.

I was using the name in 1987. Bolo (Acorn) is me too, by the way. It is
the same game, but it was just a little overambitious for a 32K 6502
machine which is why I am porting it to the Mac, and eventually to other
platforms.

Stuart Cheshire <ches...@cs.stanford.edu>
* Liliore Green Rains Houses Resident Computer Coordinator
* Stanford Distributed Systems Group Research Assistant
* Macintosh Programmer

patl...@cubldr.colorado.edu

Mar 16, 1993, 3:45:09 PM3/16/93
In article <1993Mar16.1...@rick.dgbt.doc.ca>, pa...@debra.dgbt.doc.ca (Paul Kry) writes:
> Yes.. and the old tank/maze bolo for the apple was one of my favorite games!
> I'm a budding programmer (and unfortunatly I've already made a 99th
> version of minesweeper. :-) I've started programming the old version of
> bolo on my mac but unfortunatly I've had to put it on hold because I've
> got no reference books :-( I am planning to buy Inside Mac I but I know
> if I buy that I'll just want to get the others and then I wont be able to
> afford any of my textbooks next term!

Did you know that a hypertext version of inside mac is available online
from apple? I think it is at ftp.apple.com, in an obscure directory (sorry),
under the name SPinside Macintosh. It's about 10 megs and takes FOREVER
to download. You can anonymous log in. Require a somewhat current version
of hypercard.

> I had some neat ideas for some simple enemy AI... I love the way
> those bad guys in the maze would find their way to you!
>
> If anyone else was addicted to this game as much as I am (and a
> budding programmer or not) and is interested in teaming up on this project
> I'd like to hear from you...
>
> paul
>
> email: pa...@debra.dgbt.doc.ca

Well, I don't know how much good I can do as a non-budding programmer, but...

Scott.

Paul Kry

Mar 17, 1993, 8:39:01 AM3/17/93
In article <1993Mar16...@cubldr.colorado.edu> patl...@cubldr.colorado.edu writes:
>In article <1993Mar16.1...@rick.dgbt.doc.ca>, pa...@debra.dgbt.doc.ca (Paul Kry) writes:
>> Yes.. and the old tank/maze bolo for the apple was one of my favorite games!
>> I'm a budding programmer (and unfortunatly I've already made a 99th
>> version of minesweeper. :-) I've started programming the old version of
>> bolo on my mac but unfortunatly I've had to put it on hold because I've
>> got no reference books :-( I am planning to buy Inside Mac I but I know
>> if I buy that I'll just want to get the others and then I wont be able to
>> afford any of my textbooks next term!
>
>Did you know that a hypertext version of inside mac is available online
>from apple? I think it is at ftp.apple.com, in an obscure directory (sorry),
>under the name SPinside Macintosh. It's about 10 megs and takes FOREVER
>to download. You can anonymous log in. Require a somewhat current version
>of hypercard.

I heard about it but was not sure where I would find it... 10 megs!
Sounds like I need to make some room on my HD!

>> If anyone else was addicted to this game as much as I am (and a
>> budding programmer or not) and is interested in teaming up on this project
>> I'd like to hear from you...
>

>Well, I don't know how much good I can do as a non-budding programmer, but...

Hmm... Guess I sorta ment a budding programmer or someone who actually
knows all about the toolbox! :) Thanks for the info though.

And while were talking about the old Apple // bolo, has anyone played the
textbased network version of this game for the IBM?? I think it was
called snipes. That was a fun game too! I like the way you could bounce
the bullets off the walls.

Paul

email: pa...@debra.dgbt.doc.ca

Edward Arenberg

Mar 17, 1993, 10:36:11 AM3/17/93

The original Bolo on the Apple II that I'm familiar with involved a
small tank that drove around a maze, killed enemy bolos and destroyed
forts which produced the enemies. The turret moved indepently and
moving, aiming and firing required the use of both hands. The game
had 9 levels with 5 forts each. Destoy all the forts (which have walls
that regenerate) and you move to the next level. Each level produced
new enemy bolos - each quicker, smarter and more accurrate than the
last. While the game was fairly enjoyable, it was completely
unplayable above the 5th level - the enemies were just too good. On
level 9 (you could start on any level) the best you could do was run
away from the enemy bolos and hope they shot eachother (and that you
didn't go down a dead end). It was quite challenging darting around
the maze with 20 or 30 bolos chasing you down. The graphics were
simple black-and-white, but very smooth - as good as any I've seen on
the Mac.

One January (many years ago) I started poking around through the
assembly code and found the keyboard dispatch table. Fortunately
there was some extra space here since not every key was used. From
there I found many useful entry points and started hacking away. I
added many new features, such as using the paddle buttons to fire
(which on my Apple IIe were the little diamond keys on the keyboard)
which provided auto-fire since they are not handled as keystrokes. I
also put in rapid-fire, a 180 degree turn key for those dead ends, and
as a last resort a hyperspace (and several others). All of this made
the game not only playable on level 9, but (IMHO) the most intense,
engrossing, and challenging game I have every played (on any
playform). Sadly (well, maybe not so sadly) I have graduated to a Mac
and left Bolo behind. If anyone wants to sell an old IIe real cheap,
let me know. Better yet, if the original author (or anyone else) is
doing a port to the Mac, I have many suggestions and will be first in
line with my credit card.

BTW, from the short stories by Keith Lamieur (sp?) a Bolo is an
automated tank.

Ed Arenberg

Edward Arenberg

Mar 17, 1993, 11:09:49 AM3/17/93

>Pretty cool little shooter.

>Scott

It was definitely my favorite game, but it was much too hard to play
above the 5th level. The little enemies were just too good. One
January (many years ago) I started poking around in the assembly and
found the keyboard dispatch table. There was some extra room in here
and I followed the keys to several useful routines. I hacked away and
added some very useful features, such as fire via the paddle button
keys on the IIe keyboard, which allowed one to fire and turn at the
same time. I also added auto-fire, rapid-fire, 180 degree turn,
immediate jump to speed 5, 180 degree turn with 180 turret rotation
(to keep firing in the same direction), and hyperspace (for that last
recourse). All of this not only made the game playable at level 9,
but (IMHO) made it the most intense, gripping, and challenging game I
have every played - it's almost worth buying an old IIe for, if I
really had the time to play :-).

If someone ported the Apple II Bolo to the Mac (and I once made a
half-hearted attempt at it) I have many suggestions, and would be
first in line with my credit card. The real tough problem I found was
getting the enemy bolos to behave intelligently, and come close to the
feel of the original.

Ed Arenberg

Steven_D...@magic-bbs.corp.apple.com

Mar 18, 1993, 10:24:09 AM3/18/93

Yes there is a Bolo for Macintosh. I'd send it to you but our SysOp diabled
internet file transfers! Sorry!

.... Steven_...@magic-bbs.corp.apple.com ......

Code name: Wombat

Mar 18, 1993, 1:40:18 PM3/18/93
In article <1993Mar14.1...@ee.eng.ohio-state.edu>, zi...@kalman.eng.ohio-state.edu (Michael Zimmerman) writes:

> No, the original Bolo on the Apple II was this game with a Princess and
> a little turtle (I think), and evil things flying around at you. It was
> like a screen with 4 floor levels and you changed levels to capture (save)
> the Princess and her pet. Once you saved them both, on to the next level.

No, that's not it...that was...ah, yes, Droll. You were this little robot, and
you had to fly around these mazes and rescue the little boy and girl and their
pets. HARD game, on the higher levels, too...*whew* 8^)

No, Bolo was a tank in the maze game. VERY nice, too. There were enemy tank
generators, and you had to drive around the maze and blow them up, as well as
the tanks. As I recall, hitting the walls was fatal. Now THERE's a game I'd
*LOVE* to see a Mac version of! It was challenging, and fun! It does sound a
bit like Spectre, tho...hm...well, not too much...;)

anyone care to try this one? PRETTY PLEASE???? 8^)

> The AWESOME game with 2 combatants on hover disks (if you found one)
> was Bilestoad and word is that is being remade for the mac, thought I havent
> seen any recent info on that.

YES! Bilestoad was GREAT! Although we had a copy but no instructions, so we
never were able to play it much. 8^(

> Hope this helps,
> Mike
> --
> zi...@ee.eng.ohio-state.edu

Bruce
Bruce W. Anderson is sp...@bsu-cs.bsu.edu and 00bwan...@leo.bsuvc.bsu.edu

Jens Johansen

Mar 19, 1993, 8:23:48 PM3/19/93
In article <1993Mar18.134018.16736@bsu-ucs> 00bwan...@leo.bsuvc.bsu.edu (Code name: Wombat) writes:

>No, that's not it...that was...ah, yes, Droll. You were this little robot, and
>you had to fly around these mazes and rescue the little boy and girl and their
>pets. HARD game, on the higher levels, too...*whew* 8^)

No, I mean it. This thing is called BOLO. Actually BOLO Adventures, and there
are no boys and girls involved, and absolutely no one flies anywhere. I played
the thing at Lunch today, so I know what I'm talking about. And yes, it is
hard. VERY hard. Anyhow, I'll try to remember to write the author's name
down next time I can get on to Fast Bill's computer.

>No, Bolo was a tank in the maze game. VERY nice, too. There were enemy tank
>generators, and you had to drive around the maze and blow them up, as well as
>the tanks. As I recall, hitting the walls was fatal. Now THERE's a game I'd
>*LOVE* to see a Mac version of! It was challenging, and fun! It does sound a
>bit like Spectre, tho...hm...well, not too much...;)
>

>anyone care to try this one? PRETTY PLEASE???? 8^)

Jens

Tim Morris

Mar 20, 1993, 1:31:49 AM3/20/93
aren...@kinneson.mcrc.etdesg.trw.com (Edward Arenberg) writes:

>>> The BOLO game on the Apple II I have was a one-player tank game. It was
>>> played in a maze and the object was to destroy the base from which little
>>> ships emanated.

>It was definitely my favorite game, but it was much too hard to play

>above the 5th level. The little enemies were just too good.

No way! I always preferred playing it on level 9 (the hardest), with
a maze density of either 1 or 5 (these games didn't last very long).
On level 9, the "destroy generators" objective was thrown out the
window in favour of "shooutout at the OK Corral". I used to hoon
past a base so that there were a lot of guys following me, then
turn my turret backwards and just blaze away. It was awesome!

>January (many years ago) I started poking around in the assembly and
>found the keyboard dispatch table. There was some extra room in here
>and I followed the keys to several useful routines. I hacked away and
>added some very useful features, such as fire via the paddle button
>keys on the IIe keyboard, which allowed one to fire and turn at the
>same time. I also added auto-fire, rapid-fire, 180 degree turn,
>immediate jump to speed 5, 180 degree turn with 180 turret rotation
>(to keep firing in the same direction), and hyperspace (for that last
>recourse).

I also added machine-gun firing (shooting forwards meant suicide, since
you got instantly vaporised by the explosion-trail of bullets colliding),
but backwards shooting was fine. I also turned off the maze walls,
which was something I'd always wanted to do.

>If someone ported the Apple II Bolo to the Mac (and I once made a
>half-hearted attempt at it) I have many suggestions, and would be
>first in line with my credit card.

Me too!

+--------------+---------------------------------------------------------------+
| Tim Morris | "If love is blind I guess I'll buy myself a cane..." - GnR. |
+--------------+---------------------------------------------------------------+

Edward Arenberg

Mar 24, 1993, 11:43:22 AM3/24/93
In article <tmorris.732609109@bruny> tmo...@bruny.cc.utas.edu.au (Tim Morris) writes:

>>It was definitely my favorite game, but it was much too hard to play
>>above the 5th level. The little enemies were just too good.

>No way! I always preferred playing it on level 9 (the hardest), with
>a maze density of either 1 or 5 (these games didn't last very long).
>On level 9, the "destroy generators" objective was thrown out the
>window in favour of "shooutout at the OK Corral". I used to hoon
>past a base so that there were a lot of guys following me, then
>turn my turret backwards and just blaze away. It was awesome!

We used to play at level 9 a game we called "Zen Bolo". You would
drive around the maze, but could never shoot - you tried to get the
nasties to shoot eachother. It was even possible to take out a fort
this way - though it was very rare. You could also get an enemy to
shoot at the fort and then kamakazi into the hole. This really taught
you how to maneuver.

>>January (many years ago) I started poking around in the assembly and
>>found the keyboard dispatch table. There was some extra room in here
>>and I followed the keys to several useful routines. I hacked away and
>>added some very useful features, such as fire via the paddle button
>>keys on the IIe keyboard, which allowed one to fire and turn at the
>>same time. I also added auto-fire, rapid-fire, 180 degree turn,
>>immediate jump to speed 5, 180 degree turn with 180 turret rotation
>>(to keep firing in the same direction), and hyperspace (for that last
>>recourse).

>I also added machine-gun firing (shooting forwards meant suicide, since
>you got instantly vaporised by the explosion-trail of bullets colliding),
>but backwards shooting was fine. I also turned off the maze walls,
>which was something I'd always wanted to do.

I made my high-speed fire jump the turret past the forward position
(which friends said was a must-have feature). I also found a way to
make the maze walls invisible - you could drive or shoot through where
they used to be, but the enemies still drove around like they were
there. This was dangerous since you could drive right out of the maze
into other RAM - quite interesting, but don't ever shoot or hit a
wall. One other fun feature was a button that teleported every enemy
bolo into your square. If you were lucky you could hit this key just
as you're exiting a square and watch everything explode. One great
way to use this was to take out the corner of a fort and then drive
by, hit the button, and pray.

>>If someone ported the Apple II Bolo to the Mac (and I once made a
>>half-hearted attempt at it) I have many suggestions, and would be
>>first in line with my credit card.

>Me too!

>+--------------+---------------------------------------------------------------+
>| Tim Morris | "If love is blind I guess I'll buy myself a cane..." - GnR. |
>+--------------+---------------------------------------------------------------+

Ed Arenberg
aren...@etdesg.trw.com

EUGENE JOSEPH FOSS

Mar 27, 1993, 12:02:12 AM3/27/93
Me too! I still spend a few hours playing a good game of BOLO now and then.
I would _have_ to buy a good version of BOLO for the Mac (or maybe I'll write
one, (maybe)). I think one the the best features of BOLO was that each of the
little enemy guys seemed to have their own personality.

I could imagine a BOLO with better graphics & sound, more interesting features
(different weapons, etc.), more types of enemies to fight, role-playing
scenarios, wow! This could be great!
--
/---------------------------------------------------------------\
|Eugene Joseph Foss Comp. Sci./Math/Cognative Sci.|

David Leblang

Mar 29, 1993, 12:20:25 AM3/29/93
My 8 year old has become addicted to a QBASIC game called "Nibbles"
which runs on a (borrowed) PC :-(

I own a Mac. What Mac games is closest to this PC game:
1. You drive a snake around the screen with cursor keys.
2. You eat 'things' that appear on the screen.
3. After eating the snake gets longer.
4. The snake dies if it hits a wall or itself.
5. After eating a few things you go on to the next level.
6. Higher levels have an increasing number of obsticles.

Sort of like Crystal Quest but much less intense because nothing
shoots at you. [She can reach level 42 in Crystal Quest and needs
a game to mellow out with afterwards!]

Price is not an issue :-)

Thanks,
David Leblang (Amy's Dad)
leb...@atria.com [please email response rather than posting]

EUGENE JOSEPH FOSS

Mar 30, 1993, 3:16:28 PM3/30/93
What you want is called "SnakeTIX". I've seen this program, and I think it's
shareware. I first saw this sort of program on my Apple II, and it was called
"Snakebyte" I think. I wish I could help you find this--I'd start on some of
the ftp sites, and then look in a mail-order book.

Good Luck!

Tom Magliery

Mar 30, 1993, 5:42:25 PM3/30/93
ej...@ns1.cc.lehigh.edu (EUGENE JOSEPH FOSS) writes:

>What you want is called "SnakeTIX". I've seen this program, and I
>think it's shareware. I first saw this sort of program on my Apple
>II, and it was called "Snakebyte" I think. I wish I could help you
>find this--I'd start on some of the ftp sites, and then look in a
>mail-order book.

SnakeTIX is freeware. I have no idea where we got it from, but Ian
says "I dunno, probably sumex". (That's ftp to sumex-aim.stanford.edu.)

I'll be happy to email to anyone who wants it; or I can put it up
for a short prearranged time for anonymous ftp. I have already
communicated with the original poster about it.

mag
--
Tom Magliery ** Dept of CS ** 1304 W Springfield ** Champaign IL 61820 ** USA