CL: Jack-ass area design

Kojiro

Nov 19, 2001, 1:38:17 PM11/19/01
This isnt the official announcement, fyi.

Anyway, after a (insert number here) hours of trying clever ideas,
items, times, zodiacs, mystics, skrystals, orbs, logs, kudzu, lighting
directions, shovels, watching of creatures, pondering clues, and
generally trying to use our heads to pass the Foothills, we have
succeeded by:

Pure dumb luck.

One (1) out of all the pfs with us happened to be able to open a path
by random wall-humping. None of the other pfs could open it; it just
happened fortuitously that that person bumped into the right spot
randomly. Lest you think that this has anything to do with bitching
about GM favoritism of PM or something, note that none of PMs pfs were
able to open the particular path at this juncture. No, this post is
bitching about Jack-Ass Area Design. Or Puzzle Design. Whatever.

Is it possible we could have a puzzle that is solvable using
brainpower and not tree-humping? (Insert Chum joke here: "You guys
would never solve anything, then!") One possibility that someone came
up with was that touching the pool dazzled your eyes and made you
unable to see paths for a while, and since someone always bumped the
pool, the pfs always got blinded. BZZZT! Wrong! That would have been
clever and interesting. Another possibility was that light shined off
the pool at a given time, a la Indiana Jones. Or a rat could have
disappeared thru the wall in the right spot, showing the way if you
were paying attention. NOPE!

Can't have anything like that. Random tree-humping and blind luck are
the currency in this land.

I'm just baffled. I don't understand why things have to be like this.

-Kojiro

Lex

Nov 19, 2001, 2:53:09 PM11/19/01
> Can't have anything like that. Random tree-humping and blind luck are
> the currency in this land.
>
> I'm just baffled. I don't understand why things have to be like this.
>
> -Kojiro

I'm no expert on PF, but this is how I see it.

There is a range of PF where you can never open a path, a range where you
can open very easily, and in the middle there's a range where sometimes it
works and sometimes it doesn't. It's kind of like Atkus. I need to luck
hit a fury, but I almost never miss a vermin. Some things, like maha, are
in the range where I hit sometimes and miss other times.

I believe that places like WG, McB, and places in the foothills are just at
the low range of people with 100 PF. They need to be a little lucky to
open. At some point if/when they get more, those paths should be a breeze.
Whether or not the pool had any effect is still not known. In fact, the
pool may have nothing to do with PF, that was just a guess some people had.

As for the solution being non-intuitive... no one said the foothills was a
puzzle. Or maybe it is, and we did it the tree-humping way, not the
intuitive way. Personally, from what I've seen, the only things in CL that
are puzzle-like belong to mystics.

I agree that it's frustrating, but when a path is right on the edge of your
ability, it probably takes a few PFs going past a few times on different
days for one of them to see it. I don't want to criticize the luck factor
too much though. I've gained a whole lot of experience hitting things with
luck. If luck got us into a new snell, as opposed to someone with >100 PF
opening it, then we should consider ourselves... um, lucky!

Lex

Mike

Nov 19, 2001, 6:26:07 PM11/19/01
Kojiro <its...@garhole.com> wrote:

Didnt the PF have to hump the path for a hours too? I really wanna know
what kind of crack the PF GM is on. What kind of fucking moron would
find wall humping for hours fun (besides mystics)?

Maybe its time to go hump all the trees in SF again to see if the mirror
will open because something was added after the last chaos storm with no
warning or clues.

Michael

Kojiro

Nov 19, 2001, 8:53:23 PM11/19/01
"Lex" <co...@mac.com> wrote in message news:<9tbo0o$crf$1...@netnews.upenn.edu>...

> > Can't have anything like that. Random tree-humping and blind luck are
> > the currency in this land.
> >
> > I'm just baffled. I don't understand why things have to be like this.
> >
> > -Kojiro
>
> I'm no expert on PF, but this is how I see it.

Well, my post isnt really about PF per se, but rather non-intuitive solutions.

-Kojiro

Babajaga

Nov 20, 2001, 10:13:16 AM11/20/01
Kojiro <its...@garhole.com> wrote:

> Anyway, after a (insert number here) hours of trying clever ideas,
> items, times, zodiacs, mystics, skrystals, orbs, logs, kudzu, lighting
> directions, shovels, watching of creatures, pondering clues, and
> generally trying to use our heads to pass the Foothills, we have
> succeeded by:
>
> Pure dumb luck.

Why put a pool of all things in a place that are full of tight passes
unless it means something? It basically says: "Look at me! I´m
important!" It´s like a huge yellow dot on an otherwise white sheet.

Makes no sense to me.

And thats why I think it IS still significant in ways we haven´t
discovered yet.

The other option, that it´s a red herring is just too much to swallow.
If it was 2 years ago I would probably agree with you and suspect a
yet-not-finished puzzle part, but CL has come a long way since then. I
doubt anyone these days is that silly.

By the way, did Kestral bump the pool before she found the path?

tovemi

----

Babajaga Vanimalda, the Fleet <http://www.red-quill.com/babajaga/>
The Film Vault <http://www.red-quill.com/vault/>
Fellowship of the Red Quill <http://www.red-quill.com/>

remove the SPERRE to reply

Kojiro

Nov 20, 2001, 3:52:48 PM11/20/01
> Why put a pool of all things in a place that are full of tight passes
> unless it means something? It basically says: "Look at me! I惴
> important!" It愀 like a huge yellow dot on an otherwise white sheet.

> Makes no sense to me.
>
> And thats why I think it IS still significant in ways we haven愒
> discovered yet.
>
> The other option, that it愀 a red herring is just too much to swallow.

> If it was 2 years ago I would probably agree with you and suspect a
> yet-not-finished puzzle part, but CL has come a long way since then. I
> doubt anyone these days is that silly.

Well, again, it isnt so much that. Its not a question of unfinished
areas- thats a separate, even more asinine problem.

I think you discount the red herring aspect. Almost every significant
'clue' turns out to be a red herring- look at Fire Island, which is
one giant mass of red herrings, or Fat Alice screaming from behind a
wall in her red-herring filled hut that we COULD NOT EVER OPEN NO
MATTER WHAT WE TRIED. Its all bullshit; the only way to 'solve'
anything is to tediously hump trees for hours, or to wait for the next
update.

Intuition, problem solving, information gathering never, ever avails.
That is, again I say, jack-ass puzzle design.

-Kojiro

Windy Dorf

Nov 21, 2001, 8:27:55 AM11/21/01
baba...@SPERREred-quill.com (Babajaga) wrote in message news:<1f36evf.b2...@mp-217-207-64.daxnet.no>...

> Kojiro <its...@garhole.com> wrote:
>
> > Anyway, after a (insert number here) hours of trying clever ideas,
> > items, times, zodiacs, mystics, skrystals, orbs, logs, kudzu, lighting
> > directions, shovels, watching of creatures, pondering clues, and
> > generally trying to use our heads to pass the Foothills, we have
> > succeeded by:
> >
> > Pure dumb luck.
>

> Why put a pool of all things in a place that are full of tight passes
> unless it means something? It basically says: "Look at me! I惴
> important!" It愀 like a huge yellow dot on an otherwise white sheet.

> Makes no sense to me.
>
> And thats why I think it IS still significant in ways we haven愒
> discovered yet.
>
> The other option, that it愀 a red herring is just too much to swallow.

> If it was 2 years ago I would probably agree with you and suspect a
> yet-not-finished puzzle part, but CL has come a long way since then. I
> doubt anyone these days is that silly.

Same but different:
-Wells in GM passes (and they have ladders that we cannot use!)
-Oblisk with the symbol of the moon in Trool Town
-Rose in Muddy NF
-Bone circle in northern east field
-Drake statue in SF
-Insert your favorite Apparent Red Herring Here!

-WD

Babajaga

Nov 22, 2001, 2:28:19 AM11/22/01
Jazz and Phelps wrote:

> > Same but different:

> > -Wells in GM passes (and they have ladders that we cannot use!)

Hmm? Background graphic?

> > -Oblisk with the symbol of the moon in Trool Town

This is the opposite of a red herring. I would bet my socks that Qual is
a Moon Child...."Qual was here.."

> > -Rose in Muddy NF
Isn愒 that just a safe cave? And a snell marker too.

> > -Bone circle in northern east field

Don愒 know what to call this. Snell marker? But it愀 related to the
story about Midsummer and Flame.

> > -Drake statue in SF
Same as the above.

> The sylvan outpost
Unfinished area. A carrot maybe..:)

> The monestary well (?)
Unfinished? Background graphic?

> Most of the townsfolk
Background history are told by these.

> The Official Balance Tax explaination
Hee.

tovemi - who just adore the phrase red herring directly translated to
norwegian...

Jazz

Nov 22, 2001, 3:39:55 AM11/22/01
In article <1f39jzq.1e6...@mp-217-204-37.daxnet.no>,
baba...@SPERREred-quill.com (Babajaga) wrote:

> Jazz and Phelps wrote:

I would just like to point out that I had nothing to do with this post
(that I can remember anyway <hic>)... and that I think Norway is really
really cool and it's "on the list" of places I'd most like to visit. I
hear that Narvik is cool.. I hope to paraglide there someday. :D

--
Bang a rang!

Phelps

Nov 21, 2001, 11:11:59 PM11/21/01
In article <3a67d724.01112...@posting.google.com>,
daniel....@dcsg.com (Windy Dorf) wrote:

> Same but different:
> -Wells in GM passes (and they have ladders that we cannot use!)
> -Oblisk with the symbol of the moon in Trool Town
> -Rose in Muddy NF
> -Bone circle in northern east field
> -Drake statue in SF
> -Insert your favorite Apparent Red Herring Here!

The sylvan outpost
The monestary well (?)
Most of the townsfolk

The Official Balance Tax explaination

HWC for Phelps
obPhelpses of the World
obBalanceTaxSDB(for the record)

--
Affiliation medals are tyranny.

Andrew

Nov 22, 2001, 9:34:22 AM11/22/01

> In article <3a67d724.01112...@posting.google.com>,
> daniel....@dcsg.com (Windy Dorf) wrote:
>

> > Same but different:
> > -Wells in GM passes (and they have ladders that we cannot use!)
> > -Oblisk with the symbol of the moon in Trool Town
> > -Rose in Muddy NF
> > -Bone circle in northern east field
> > -Drake statue in SF
> > -Insert your favorite Apparent Red Herring Here!
>
> The sylvan outpost

ya know it would be nice if people started calling it "the outpost" never was the sylvan outpost.

Althea of Redwood

Nov 22, 2001, 2:38:09 PM11/22/01
In article <exo-399027.0...@nntp.ix.netcom.com>, Andrew
<e...@NOSPAMmac.com> wrote:

Actually, I believe you are mistaken. ELF did a lot of work, creating
designs n such, and petitioning for a sylvan outpost in one of the
forests. Their efforts date back to the v40s.

Althea

zen

Nov 22, 2001, 3:18:02 PM11/22/01

Althea of Redwood wrote:

> Actually, I believe you are mistaken. ELF did a lot of work, creating
> designs n such, and petitioning for a sylvan outpost in one of the
> forests. Their efforts date back to the v40s.
>
> Althea

Soooo...160+ chaos storms, and it still isn't done?

Man. Elves sure are slow.

-Zen

Jazz

Nov 22, 2001, 5:35:09 PM11/22/01
In article <3BFD4D55...@earthlink.net>,
zen <zen...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Man. Elves sure are slow.

They live a lot longer than Zo do... they have tons of patience. ;)

--
Bang a rang!

Invid Fan

Nov 22, 2001, 5:46:50 PM11/22/01

100 years is like a day to them...

--
Chris Mack "I'm Mr. Gone! A student of the mystic arts! Unfortinitly,
'Invid Fan' an untalented student, or I wouldn't have to keep

Garscow

Nov 22, 2001, 7:13:18 PM11/22/01
Babajaga wrote:

> > > -Drake statue in SF
> Same as the above.

This may be related to Sun Dragon Clan.

> > The sylvan outpost
> Unfinished area. A carrot maybe..:)

I'm guessing this is/may be different to the outpost near the mirror.

Maybe we'll find it beyond the foothills? ;)

> > The monestary well (?)
> Unfinished? Background graphic?

You have much to trai .. uhh, learn. My friend.

> tovemi - who just adore the phrase red herring directly translated to
> norwegian...

In English, a red herring is a fish. But in this case it refers to
something that is supposed to throw you off what you're really trying to
find. Often used in detective novels.

Garscow

zen

Nov 22, 2001, 6:32:05 PM11/22/01

Jazz wrote:

Ohhhh! That's why they always seem constipated!

-Zen

Helpful GM

Nov 23, 2001, 11:28:30 AM11/23/01
In article <Althea-2211...@sa-63-249-99-53.cruzio.com>,
Alt...@NOSPAMORISHOOTTOKILLpoguemahone.org (Althea of Redwood) wrote:

> > ya know it would be nice if people started calling it "the outpost"
> > never was the sylvan outpost.

> Actually, I believe you are mistaken. ELF did a lot of work, creating
> designs n such, and petitioning for a sylvan outpost in one of the
> forests. Their efforts date back to the v40s.
> Althea

This is a general comment, a tangential thought, triggered by Althea's
post, but not meant to be applied, specifically to the exact pinpoint
subject of her meaning:

A lot of times players put a whole lot of effort into something, hoping
for it to be a very specific way, and then we work it to be not quite as
restrictive.

For example, Vagile wanted Captain Barnac to rent boats only to
certified members of the Navy who had passed Vagile's rowing safety
course. She put a lot of work into building a boat rental shack, hiring
crew, etc. But, in the end, we (DT/Joe/DMs) decided it would be better,
overall, if the good Captain would rent boats to anyone with a nickel.

...If you get my drift.

--
You have to remove stuff from my e-mail to reply, it's not difficult.
I will not, no matter how "good" the deal, ever purchase any product from

Andrew

Nov 23, 2001, 10:50:33 AM11/23/01
In article <Althea-2211...@sa-63-249-99-53.cruzio.com>,
Alt...@NOSPAMORISHOOTTOKILLpoguemahone.org (Althea of Redwood) wrote:

indeed and at one time I was in ELF kinda in charge of this :-P. SO I know it isnt. if you go there
they never say its the "sylvan" outpost it has always been called the outpost ingame. that area
wouldnt fit any of the ELF ideas for the Sylvan outpost :-P

Andrew

Nov 23, 2001, 10:53:17 AM11/23/01
In article <HelpfulGM-799B6...@ca.news.verio.net>, Helpful GM
<HelpfulGM@*NO-SPAM*PlayNaked.com> wrote:

> This is a general comment, a tangential thought, triggered by Althea's
> post, but not meant to be applied, specifically to the exact pinpoint
> subject of her meaning:
>
> A lot of times players put a whole lot of effort into something, hoping
> for it to be a very specific way, and then we work it to be not quite as
> restrictive.
>
> For example, Vagile wanted Captain Barnac to rent boats only to
> certified members of the Navy who had passed Vagile's rowing safety
> course. She put a lot of work into building a boat rental shack, hiring
> crew, etc. But, in the end, we (DT/Joe/DMs) decided it would be better,
> overall, if the good Captain would rent boats to anyone with a nickel.
>
> ...If you get my drift.

I can name a few GM areas that fit into that catagory..... anyone remember peaceton?

Althea of Redwood

Nov 23, 2001, 2:05:51 PM11/23/01
In article <exo-F26497.0...@nntp.ix.netcom.com>, Andrew
<e...@NOSPAMmac.com> wrote:

Ah. I sit corrected :)

I'll still call it the sylvan outpost, however. Its in a forest, sylvans
hang in forests, etc etc. :) Okie, more trees were cleared than any
sylvan would do, but still...

Althea

Lex

Nov 23, 2001, 3:35:46 PM11/23/01
>>> Can't have anything like that. Random tree-humping and blind luck are
>>> the currency in this land.
>>>
>>> I'm just baffled. I don't understand why things have to be like this.
>>>
>>> -Kojiro
>>
>> I'm no expert on PF, but this is how I see it.
>
> Well, my post isnt really about PF per se, but rather non-intuitive solutions.
>
> -Kojiro

Right, and PF is non-intuitive (or so it would seem). But OC-Snaggy,
Bones-HH, HH-OOB, OOB-DP tree, and a lot of the foothills has always been
about PF. Intuitive solutions to things just seem to not be part of the
non-mystic community. PF gets us closer to the tougher orga grounds, and
since even with full PF, not everyone can open things, it takes a little
luck to get places.

Lex

Babajaga

Nov 23, 2001, 3:49:58 PM11/23/01
Kojiro <its...@garhole.com> wrote:

> I think you discount the red herring aspect. Almost every significant
> 'clue' turns out to be a red herring- look at Fire Island, which is
> one giant mass of red herrings,

I don´t know the island too well, but isn´t it just filled with tiny
clues? Sure, they may be of the more obscure kind, but I don´t think
that puts them in the red herring sack.

> or Fat Alice screaming from behind a
> wall in her red-herring filled hut that we COULD NOT EVER OPEN NO
> MATTER WHAT WE TRIED.

I am not so sure "opening" was her intended function. The thing she was
"driving" us to do I mean. She gave some background info on Kismia, the
Island and triggered some questions.

While many quests in CL still is of the obscure, "find the needle in the
haystack - only you need to find the haystack" type of puzzle, there
aren´t so many red herrings around.

And info gathering works, but best in the whole Brion thread.

Babajaga

Nov 23, 2001, 3:50:00 PM11/23/01
Garscow <garsNO...@ihug.co.nz> wrote:

> In English, a red herring is a fish. But in this case it refers to
> something that is supposed to throw you off what you're really trying to
> find. Often used in detective novels.

I know:)

In Norwegian however it doesn´t have the same meaning and just sounds
quite weird directly translated:)

tovemi

Babajaga

Nov 23, 2001, 3:50:01 PM11/23/01
Jazz <jazz_...@zeroecho.com> wrote:

> I would just like to point out that I had nothing to do with this post
> (that I can remember anyway <hic>)...

Ack! Sorry about that.

> and that I think Norway is really
> really cool and it's "on the list" of places I'd most like to visit. I
> hear that Narvik is cool.. I hope to paraglide there someday. :D

Yeah! Norway is really cool, but paragliding in Narvik? Huff da!

tovemi

Stephen McManus

Nov 23, 2001, 4:04:44 PM11/23/01
<e...@nospammac.com> wrote:

> indeed and at one time I was in ELF kinda in charge of this :-P. SO I
> know it isnt. if you go there they never say its the "sylvan" outpost it
> has always been called the outpost ingame. that area wouldnt fit any of
> the ELF ideas for the Sylvan outpost :-P

I believe it's called the Sylvan outpost to differenciate it from the
Darshak outpost.

--
----Steve McManus
mcma...@rawmaw.com

Kojiro

Nov 23, 2001, 9:42:57 PM11/23/01
> > I think you discount the red herring aspect. Almost every significant
> > 'clue' turns out to be a red herring- look at Fire Island, which is
> > one giant mass of red herrings,
>
> I don´t know the island too well, but isn´t it just filled with tiny
> clues? Sure, they may be of the more obscure kind, but I don´t think
> that puts them in the red herring sack.

Name a single 'clue' on Fire Island that means anything at all.

A clue that isn't a clue = a red herring.

Red herrings are fine when there is a mix of red herrings and clues.
When there are ONLY red herrings, they SDB.

> > or Fat Alice screaming from behind a
> > wall in her red-herring filled hut that we COULD NOT EVER OPEN NO
> > MATTER WHAT WE TRIED.
>
> I am not so sure "opening" was her intended function. The thing she was
> "driving" us to do I mean. She gave some background info on Kismia, the
> Island and triggered some questions.

Most of the time she sat behind a wall and screamed. Her hut was chock
full of false clues, and no real ones. I've yet to hear of Kizmia IC.
When I first talked to the boat guy he had never heard of her.

The main point, again, was that her hut was full of red herrings.
False clues. Which is no fun.

-Kojiro

Andrew

Nov 25, 2001, 1:37:35 PM11/25/01
In article <20011123.171055....@rawmaw.com>, "Stephen McManus"
<steve.remove....@rawmaw.com> wrote:

> In article <exo-F26497.0...@nntp.ix.netcom.com>, "Andrew"
> <e...@nospammac.com> wrote:
>
> > indeed and at one time I was in ELF kinda in charge of this :-P. SO I
> > know it isnt. if you go there they never say its the "sylvan" outpost it
> > has always been called the outpost ingame. that area wouldnt fit any of
> > the ELF ideas for the Sylvan outpost :-P
>
> I believe it's called the Sylvan outpost to differenciate it from the
> Darshak outpost.

Guess this on fits in with people insisting on calling the park in east town a garden or Gaias
garden.(I know, I know Gaias Garden is within the park!)

Richard Everett

Nov 26, 2001, 12:30:09 PM11/26/01
snell-marker/differentiator is a cool OOC thing, but I'd be
interested in a little more background as to why things are
there IC.

Babajaga wrote:

> Jazz and Phelps wrote:
>
> > > Same but different:
>
> > > -Wells in GM passes (and they have ladders that we cannot use!)
> Hmm? Background graphic?

Uhm, IC-wise... background graphic? What sort of sense does it make
to see steps and not be able to at least attempt to climb down
them...?

> > > -Rose in Muddy NF
> Isn愒 that just a safe cave? And a snell marker too.

But why did a HUGE rose grow there in the first place?

It's cool that when can crawl inside the stem, though or
into a little grotto that has flowers planted around the
exterior.

> > > -Bone circle in northern east field
> Don愒 know what to call this. Snell marker? But it愀 related to the
> story about Midsummer and Flame.
>
> > > -Drake statue in SF
> Same as the above.

Who carved it? Out of what? Did a drake get turned to stone by
some major act of wizardry? Woo! Why can't we go back to the
desert well through whatever passage lets us exit near it?

greyhawk

Nov 26, 2001, 12:56:52 PM11/26/01

Lex wrote:

> > Can't have anything like that. Random tree-humping and blind luck are
> > the currency in this land.
> >
> > I'm just baffled. I don't understand why things have to be like this.
> >
> > -Kojiro
>
> I'm no expert on PF, but this is how I see it.
>
> There is a range of PF where you can never open a path, a range where you
> can open very easily, and in the middle there's a range where sometimes it
> works and sometimes it doesn't. It's kind of like Atkus. I need to luck
> hit a fury, but I almost never miss a vermin. Some things, like maha, are
> in the range where I hit sometimes and miss other times.
>
> I believe that places like WG, McB, and places in the foothills are just at
> the low range of people with 100 PF. They need to be a little lucky to
> open. At some point if/when they get more, those paths should be a breeze.
> Whether or not the pool had any effect is still not known. In fact, the
> pool may have nothing to do with PF, that was just a guess some people had.
>
> As for the solution being non-intuitive... no one said the foothills was a
> puzzle. Or maybe it is, and we did it the tree-humping way, not the
> intuitive way. Personally, from what I've seen, the only things in CL that
> are puzzle-like belong to mystics.
>
> I agree that it's frustrating, but when a path is right on the edge of your
> ability, it probably takes a few PFs going past a few times on different
> days for one of them to see it. I don't want to criticize the luck factor
> too much though. I've gained a whole lot of experience hitting things with
> luck. If luck got us into a new snell, as opposed to someone with >100 PF
> opening it, then we should consider ourselves... um, lucky!
>
> Lex

Of course if the only place to train more pathfinding is behind that
path...

Babajaga

Nov 26, 2001, 2:37:58 PM11/26/01
Richard Everett <plus...@eti.com> wrote:

> snell-marker/differentiator is a cool OOC thing, but I'd be
> interested in a little more background as to why things are
> there IC.

Oh yes. But some things in CL are sort of "done" in that department, and
others, like the well in the passes is not. Personally I like when
things that can´t be operated or done anything with doesn´t you give you
an action box.

Others you can make your own IC background story about.

And more could come from the game itself I agree.

Or:
Take that satchel on DI for example. I doubt it´s a puzzle element, its
more of a background story element. Like: "Someone was in a hurry to get
out of the cave and forgot his satchel. Why?" Just a trigger for the
imagination perhaps.

> > Isn´t that just a safe cave? And a snell marker too.

> But why did a HUGE rose grow there in the first place?

You don´t know??? Because the Knight Sleipnir is a Knight of the Rose of
course, and planted it there for his beloved. He nurished it and watered
it and talked to it, and so great was his care and so great was his love
that the rose grew and grew and were able to hide exiles from the
beasties outside.

> > Same as the above.
>
> Who carved it? Out of what? Did a drake get turned to stone by
> some major act of wizardry?

I don´t know. You tell me?:)

tovemi

Mike

Nov 26, 2001, 3:06:04 PM11/26/01
greyhawk <"greyhawk"@fake.com> wrote:

Just when I thought PF couldnt get any worse. A huge party made up of
many LIFE members and others went beyond the FHs yesterday. We made it
past the FHs in record time for us, it only took 1 hour to get past the
FHs. We crushed Dredwood (DW) too, in another 15 min we were outside
the new noid cave. So we line up to go in and we cant open the path.
Some of the very same PFs that opened it the day before could not open
it this time. We had more than 10 PFs I think, and not one could open
it. Many of the PFs studied it for hours and still couldnt do it last I
heard.

How frustrating is that? 60 or so people that cant open something that
a few people could open the day before. Most people still had a good
time, because it was all new to many of us. And for a mob that size the
whole party did a really good job of staying togther and and following
directions. And we were able to explore the rest of DW at will because
it was so easy for us. But many of us still think the answer is with
the noids, and now we cant even get in to see them. That is
frustrating, not fun.

Michael

Warren J. Dew

Nov 26, 2001, 3:47:53 PM11/26/01
Richard Everett posts, in part:

snell-marker/differentiator is a cool OOC thing, but I'd be
interested in a little more background as to why things are

there IC....

[wells in passages to greymyr village]

Uhm, IC-wise... background graphic? What sort of sense does
it make to see steps and not be able to at least attempt to
climb down them...?

Maybe they are too slippery to climb down?

I personally like it when placeholders like this exist, perhaps awaiting future
expansion. Possibly there will eventually be a chaos storm strong enough to
wash away the slime on the ladder rungs, allowing us to explore what's below.
Or perhaps they are just clues that if you go much farther, you'll probably run
into things that use wells that size.

I think it might be nice to have an action box mentioning the slipperiness of
the rungs or whatever, but I don't see it as a big deal.

But why did a HUGE rose grow there in the first place?

The fact that one can't discover the reason for a thing doesn't mean there is
no reason. Why did a big line of mountains grow down the middle of the island?

It's cool that when can crawl inside the stem, though or
into a little grotto that has flowers planted around the
exterior.

[drake statue]

Who carved it? Out of what? Did a drake get turned to
stone by some major act of wizardry? Woo! Why can't we
us exit near it?

"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings / nothing beside remains ..."

Personally, I think it adds depth to the setting to have these little hints
that there is more to what has happened in it than people have discovered. I
especially like the ones that seem like the gamesmaster who put them there knew
exactly why they were there, but time has erased the hints that might allow the
characters to discover it.

Warren J. Dew
Powderhouse Software

Jazz

Nov 26, 2001, 6:26:15 PM11/26/01
In article <1f3hi4d.idxasj1jfbhpyN%mike...@aol.com>,
mike...@aol.com (Mike) wrote:

> We crushed Dredwood (DW) too, in another 15 min we were outside
> the new noid cave. So we line up to go in and we cant open the path.

> How frustrating is that? 60 or so people that cant open something that

> a few people could open the day before.

My only problem was that I wasn't sure whether it was part of the
"story" or a problem with pathfinding still. It's been stated that the
problems with pathfinding have been solved during recent chaos storm,
but I keep hearing in the lands of troubles. Who knows.

I find it hard to believe that the first time we _ever_ got to the new
path there just happened to be the exact right IC time window to open
it. Who is that lucky? So I'm lead to believe:

a) It was shut on purpose after we went in the first time because
perhaps the foothills isn't complete yet or something... though for
awhile now I know it's been frowned upon to put things in the game that
aren't done. Maybe this grandfathered in.

b) There is still something troubling going on with pathfinding. Michael
is right, where the day before multiple pathfinders could open.. now
suddenly none amongst the hordes? Too strange.

c) It's part of the "story"... I'm not so sure about that. Are there any
other paths that are time dependent? Some may be very difficult to open,
but they open whenever you want time-wise. I suppose there is a first
for everything.. got my first BK the other day.. first one ever dating
back years... truth to tell it was kinda cool.. I nearly fell outta my
chair when I heard the sound. :-D

Anyway, my "not-so-nice" side leans towards "a". GMs: "Dammit! The
exiles are doing it again!! How DO they manage these things! We keep
underestimating them! We gotta close the path for awhile!"

;-)

--
Bang a rang!

Invid Fan

Nov 26, 2001, 7:17:51 PM11/26/01
In article <20011126154753...@mb-fo.aol.com>, Warren J. Dew
<psych...@aol.com> wrote:

> Richard Everett posts, in part:
>
> snell-marker/differentiator is a cool OOC thing, but I'd be
> interested in a little more background as to why things are
> there IC....
>
> [wells in passages to greymyr village]
>
> Uhm, IC-wise... background graphic? What sort of sense does
> it make to see steps and not be able to at least attempt to
> climb down them...?
>
> Maybe they are too slippery to climb down?
>
> I personally like it when placeholders like this exist, perhaps awaiting
> future
> expansion. Possibly there will eventually be a chaos storm strong enough to
> wash away the slime on the ladder rungs, allowing us to explore what's below.
> Or perhaps they are just clues that if you go much farther, you'll probably
> run
> into things that use wells that size.

You should at least get a message, similar to the one at the mirror,
saying that you can't climb down the steps.

Phelps

Nov 26, 2001, 7:41:43 PM11/26/01
In article <jazz_cl-EB8F47...@ns2.spiralweb.com>,
Jazz <jaz...@NOSPAMmac.com> wrote:

> In article <1f3hi4d.idxasj1jfbhpyN%mike...@aol.com>,
> mike...@aol.com (Mike) wrote:
>
> > We crushed Dredwood (DW) too, in another 15 min we were outside
> > the new noid cave. So we line up to go in and we cant open the path.
>
> > How frustrating is that? 60 or so people that cant open something that
> > a few people could open the day before.
>
> My only problem was that I wasn't sure whether it was part of the
> "story" or a problem with pathfinding still. It's been stated that the
> problems with pathfinding have been solved during recent chaos storm,
> but I keep hearing in the lands of troubles. Who knows.

H-GM has been pretty good about checking and answering this question:

Us not being able to open the path with the same PF as before, bug or
no?

HWC for Phelps
obPhelpses of the World need to remember to ask that question first
obBalanceTaxSDB

--
Affiliation medals are tyranny.

Leo

Nov 27, 2001, 12:54:02 PM11/27/01
One thing I'd love to see in game are books. IE readable books that
you can sit in the library and read or check out for a nominal fee.
The books would have item specific data with a possable command
structure as listed below.

/use /look - Exile looks at a text description of the cover.

/use /contents - Exile looks at a table of contents

/use /read <pagenumber> - Exile reads a specific page or chapter
number. The text is downloaded into their text window or sidebar.

I could think it would be nice to have such things expecially for new
folk to be able to read up on the game's story in an IC manner. It
would also be useful as a way to record events like the drake's death
and why it's bones are still exposed to the air in east field,
Moonshimmer, The Sun Altar's Distruction and Recovery, The Catapult
Theft, The Darshak, and a number of other subjects ranging from Bartok
to Bestiaries.

I know there is the arguement for 'put it on a website' but websites
are somewhat inconvenient and ooc in a way. A book item seems more IC
and a good writer can weave some depth into them. Historical tomes as
artifacts are interesting as well. The Sun/Moon/Earth legend might be
a good start. The text already exists in the games manual.

-Allensworth

Noah

Nov 28, 2001, 2:04:05 PM11/28/01
Leo...@earthlink.net (Leo) wrote in message news:<da07f67e.0111...@posting.google.com>...

I'd like to see that too. Is this "on the list?"

Helpful GM

Nov 28, 2001, 6:39:49 PM11/28/01
In article <5d266125.01112...@posting.google.com>,
no...@olteco.com (Noah) wrote:

> I'd like to see that too. Is this "on the list?"

Not exactly as specified, but yes.

Merlisk

Nov 30, 2001, 11:59:06 AM11/30/01
On Mon, 26 Nov 2001 19:37:58 GMT, baba...@SPERREred-quill.com
(Babajaga) wrote:

>You don´t know??? Because the Knight Sleipnir is a Knight of the Rose of
>course, and planted it there for his beloved. He nurished it and watered
>it and talked to it, and so great was his care and so great was his love
>that the rose grew and grew and were able to hide exiles from the
>beasties outside.

Sleipnir talked to it? No wonder it's so big!

/action ducks.

--
Merlisk, Healer, Reference Library and General
Assitant to Helpful GM

Helpful .sig:
your - possessive of you - This is your house.
you're - contraction of "you are" - You're wrong.