"The Grouch" INIT

Zeno Lee

May 18, 1994, 11:51:15 AM5/18/94
Hi, I've been looking all around for "The Grouch" INIT (the one where Oscar
the grouch pops up and sings when you throw away the trash) Does anyone

have a copy that they can send to me binhexed?

--
__
( \

joe zobkiw

May 19, 1994, 9:05:00 AM5/19/94
In article <2rddhj$q...@lastactionhero.rs.itd.umich.edu>, ze...@umich.edu
(Zeno Lee) wrote:

> Hi, I've been looking all around for "The Grouch" INIT (the one where Oscar
> the grouch pops up and sings when you throw away the trash) Does anyone
> have a copy that they can send to me binhexed?

Something about Henson's company telling the author to stop distributing it
due to copyright issues. If anyone has it, keep it, it might be worth
something someday.

_/_/_/_/ Joe Zobkiw ,,,
_/ Senior Software Engineer - -
_/ Datawatch Corporation L
_/_/_/_/ zob...@datawatch.com -

Jeff Stephan

May 20, 1994, 5:09:03 PM5/20/94
(Zeno Lee) wrote:

> Hi, I've been looking all around for "The Grouch" INIT (the one where Oscar
> the grouch pops up and sings when you throw away the trash) Does anyone

Sesame Street brought heavy patent infringement pressure against the author
and he requested all of the BBS's to withdraw that INIT.

--
Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

No good deed deserves to go unpunished.

G. Jefferson

May 22, 1994, 5:23:54 PM5/22/94
> There are too many lawers in this country :-(.

no, there are too many people who turn tail at the sight of legal letter
head.

I think the copy I have only works under system 6. I got tired of it after
about 5 minutes, but I still have it.

george
geo...@mech.seas.upenn.edu

Boyan I. Boyanov

May 23, 1994, 12:39:52 PM5/23/94

I was able to get it from an obsucre site in Europe a few weeeks
after it was taken off the US sites. Don't remmember the address -
ask Archie and try your luck. Don't ask me to mail it to you, though.

There are too many lawers in this country :-(.

Cheers,

----
Boyan Boyanov
bo...@tmnxt1.iit.edu

Stefan Haenssgen

May 24, 1994, 4:43:11 AM5/24/94
You might want to check some CD ROM collections. If I remember correctly,
I've seen it at least on the "GigaROM". Since it's a bit hard to erase
files from those, there should be enough around to make your search easier :-)

ciao
Stefan

--
,-----,------,--,--, Stefan Haenssgen, Comp Sci, Uni Karlsruhe, Germany
/ / / / / Email: haen...@ira.uka.de or haen...@acm.org

Brad Spachman

May 24, 1994, 11:14:04 AM5/24/94
I checked archie yesterday and found at least four copies scattered around
the world. A couple were of the old system 6 version and a couple were the
system 7-compatible version. It shouldn't be too hard to find :)

"There are two things that have no limit: |Brad Spachman
Femininity--and the means of taking |Northwestern University
advantage of it." |Theatre/Chemistry
--from "La Femme Nikita" |b-spa...@nwu.edu

Sven Guckes

May 26, 1994, 4:21:35 PM5/26/94
ze...@umich.edu (Zeno Lee) writes:

>I've been looking all around for "The Grouch" INIT (the one where Oscar
>the grouch pops up and sings when you throw away the trash) Does anyone
>have a copy that they can send to me binhexed?

Sorry, Zeno, but this is what you'll find on the archives now (see
appended text).

Sven

===
From: sha...@aol.com
To: info...@sumex-aim.stanford.edu
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 93 13:10:14 EDT
Subject: "The Grouch" Shareware

TO: BBS Systems, Shareware Dealers,
User Groups, and Mac Users

FROM: Eric Shapiro
Rock Ridge Enterprises
620 Hidden Valley Dr. #102
Ann Arbor, MI 48104
USA

AOL: Shapiro
Internet: Sha...@AOL.com
AppleLink: D1313

SUBJECT: THE GROUCH

DATE: August 13, 1993

We have been contacted by lawyers for Sesame Street's parent
company, Children's Television Workshop, and told to stop all
activities infringing on their copyrights.

Effectively immediately, please refrain from copying the Macintosh
System Extension known as THE GROUCH and its application
counterpart, STAND-ALONE GROUCH. Please remove the software from
all hard disks, floppies, BBS systems, shareware disks, and user
group libraries as well.

While we certainly think that a silly freeware program such as
THE GROUCH poses no threat to Sesame Street, we must comply with
their request or risk legal action from them.

Thanks for your support over the years. It's been fun.

Sincerely,
Eric Shapiro
President, Rock Ridge Enterprises

[and lawyers wonder why nobody likes them...]