Paul Thurrott - "You need an iPhone"

David Moyer

Jun 11, 2008, 2:30:30 AM6/11/08
a very good read from one the most hardcore Windows Users on the planet.

Paul Thurrott -- June 10, 2008

"I cannot stress this enough: You need to get an iPhone. Sooner rather
than later. With Apple dropping the entry price on this innovative
device to just $200, while fixing all of the major issues I described in
How Apple Can Fix the iPhone in 2008, there are precious few reasons to
ignore this seismic shift in mobile and cloud computing. I've said it
before and I'll say it again: The iPhone is a dramatically important
computing platform and one you should not ignore. Trust me, once you've
used an iPhone, that Blackberry or Windows Mobile device you're settling
on now will seem like ancient Soviet-era technology by comparison."

much more here....

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/iphone3g_preview.asp

http://www.apple.com/iphone/

Alan Baker

Jun 11, 2008, 3:24:08 AM6/11/08
In article
<meetme-4DCFEA....@n003-000-000-000.static.ge.com>,
David Moyer <mee...@world.com> wrote:

Ah, everybody knows that Thurrott is just a "Maccie"...

LOL

--
"The iPhone doesn't have a speaker phone" -- "I checked very carefully" --
"I checked Apple's web pages" -- Edwin on the iPhone

MuahMan

Jun 11, 2008, 4:02:14 AM6/11/08

He should try using one. I dumped the iPhone and went to the BB8830.
You can understand what people are saying on the bb, not so on the
iPhone.

Sandman

Jun 11, 2008, 4:10:25 AM6/11/08
In article
<alangbaker-D82C36.00240811062008@[74.223.185.199.nw.nuvox.net]>, Alan
Baker <alang...@telus.net> wrote:

> > David Moyer:

> > a very good read from one the most hardcore Windows Users on the
> > planet.
> >
> > Paul Thurrott -- June 10, 2008
> >
> > "I cannot stress this enough: You need to get an iPhone. Sooner
> > rather than later. With Apple dropping the entry price on this
> > innovative device to just $200, while fixing all of the major
> > issues I described in How Apple Can Fix the iPhone in 2008, there
> > are precious few reasons to ignore this seismic shift in mobile
> > and cloud computing. I've said it before and I'll say it again:
> > The iPhone is a dramatically important computing platform and one
> > you should not ignore. Trust me, once you've used an iPhone, that
> > Blackberry or Windows Mobile device you're settling on now will
> > seem like ancient Soviet-era technology by comparison."
> >
> > much more here....
> >
> > http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/iphone3g_preview.asp
> >
> > http://www.apple.com/iphone/

> Alan Baker:

> Ah, everybody knows that Thurrott is just a "Maccie"...

At least according to Nashton:

<http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys.mac.advocacy/msg/b1269aaa4e087
908>

--
Sandman[.net]

MuahMan

Jun 11, 2008, 4:14:27 AM6/11/08
> Sandman[.net]- Hide quoted text -

He did get one thing right..... nobody seems to want the iPhone
anymore.

"Indeed, iPhone sales have dropped through the floor: Though Apple has
sold 6 million units cumulatively since mid-2007, quarterly sales have
fallen dramatically: The company sold 4 million iPhones in 2007 (2
million a quarter on average) and 1.7 million in Q1 2008. But it sold
just 300,000 iPhones in Q2 2008. Clearly something big had to change."

Nashton

Jun 11, 2008, 6:49:21 AM6/11/08

Now that you've tired of the Snit circus, to which you have contributed
countless articles and waisted an inordinate amount of time, are you
trying to provoke me?

I stand by my opinion and I also disagree with his most recent article.
And a Blackberry is far from having the feel of a Soviet era device.

News

Jun 11, 2008, 7:19:24 AM6/11/08

David Moyer wrote:

> Paul Thurrott -- June 10, 2008
>
> "I cannot stress this enough: You need to get an iPhone. Sooner rather
> than later. With Apple dropping the entry price on this innovative
> device to just $200

Yebbut, what about that $800 long tail of service obligation...

, while fixing all of the major issues I described in
> How Apple Can Fix the iPhone in 2008,

Yebbut, what about the lack of APPS? Still NO APPS.

Still a fashion accessory, no more.

Message has been deleted

Ron

Jun 11, 2008, 9:32:46 AM6/11/08
On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 07:24:08 GMT, Alan Baker <alang...@telus.net>
wrote:

>In article
><meetme-4DCFEA....@n003-000-000-000.static.ge.com>,
> David Moyer <mee...@world.com> wrote:
>
>> a very good read from one the most hardcore Windows Users on the planet.
>>
>> Paul Thurrott -- June 10, 2008
>>
>> "I cannot stress this enough: You need to get an iPhone. Sooner rather
>> than later. With Apple dropping the entry price on this innovative
>> device to just $200, while fixing all of the major issues I described in
>> How Apple Can Fix the iPhone in 2008, there are precious few reasons to
>> ignore this seismic shift in mobile and cloud computing. I've said it
>> before and I'll say it again: The iPhone is a dramatically important
>> computing platform and one you should not ignore. Trust me, once you've
>> used an iPhone, that Blackberry or Windows Mobile device you're settling
>> on now will seem like ancient Soviet-era technology by comparison."
>>
>> much more here....
>>
>> http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/iphone3g_preview.asp
>>
>> http://www.apple.com/iphone/
>
>Ah, everybody knows that Thurrott is just a "Maccie"...
>
>LOL

100% WRONG

Dont like the message try to descredit the messanger?

Paul is a Microsft person, and has dozens of great books
telling about Windows the things Microsoft left out of their
manuals.

His book on Windows XP, I belive is the largest selling XP book
out there. Windows XP Secrets

He has Windows web site:

http://www.winsupersite.com

Ron

Jun 11, 2008, 9:36:33 AM6/11/08
On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 07:19:24 -0400, News <Ne...@Group.name> wrote:

>Yebbut, what about the lack of APPS? Still NO APPS.

Guess you didnt see the announcement of the iPhone App store, where
you download apps straight to the iPhone, many of them (like a Reuters
feed) FREE.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/features/appstore.html

Best of all, they're vetted by Apple, so you wont have the issues with
apps causing lockups, like on Palm, Windoze, and RIM devices.

Richard Colton

Jun 11, 2008, 10:37:20 AM6/11/08

"Ron" <roncl...@peoplepc.com> wrote in message

> On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 07:19:24 -0400, News <Ne...@Group.name> wrote:
<bollocks snipped>

> Best of all, they're vetted by Apple,

Do you have to get up especially early to practice being this fucking
stoopid?

Now take your cross-posted shite and keep it to relevant groups.

XP'd & FU'd

--
Unlock Your Phone's Potential
www.UselessInfo.org.uk

Snit

Jun 11, 2008, 10:35:04 AM6/11/08
"David Moyer" <mee...@world.com> stated in post
meetme-4DCFEA....@n003-000-000-000.static.ge.com on 6/10/08 11:30
PM:

But... but... Steve Carroll wants me to defend the idea that the iPhone is
industry changing. Maybe if he read a thing or two about the device he
would understand.

Then again, speaking out of his other brain he claimed to agree me.
Someday, I hope, he learns to be consistent. :)

--
Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value.
--Albert Einstein

ed

Jun 11, 2008, 10:46:53 AM6/11/08
On Jun 10, 11:30 pm, David Moyer <mee...@world.com> wrote:
> a very good read from one the most hardcore Windows Users on the planet.
> Paul Thurrott -- June 10, 2008
>
> "I cannot stress this enough: You need to get an iPhone. Sooner rather
> than later.
<snip>

> Trust me, once you've
> used an iPhone, that Blackberry or Windows Mobile device you're settling
> on now will seem like ancient Soviet-era technology by comparison."
> much more here....

it will? i ported over from verizon to at&t and tried out an iphone
for a few weeks, and just ported back over to verizon and a htc touch
(xv6900 on verizon) this weekend, and i'm digging it so far. maybe if
some extra super news about the new iphone comes out in the next few
weeks i'll port back over, but i'm really digging the customizability,
flexibility, and speed of this phone. :D

> http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/iphone3g_preview.asp
> http://www.apple.com/iphone/

Mayor of R'lyeh

Jun 11, 2008, 11:02:09 AM6/11/08
On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 00:30:30 -0600, David Moyer <mee...@world.com>
wrote:

"What bothers me most about that Thurrot site is he posts short "sound
bite" comments with no critical analysis, and hides behind the fact
that
the site does not accept comments. I can see why, since nearly every
one
of his posts would be refuted by relevant facts. Still, the solution
should be for Thurrot to clean up his reporting, not disallow
comments. "
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys.mac.advocacy/msg/bde33da9cee4d6a3?dmode=source

"Seems that Mr. Thurrot doesn't understand a lot of stuff: "
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys.mac.advocacy/msg/4d3cdbea6948ceef?dmode=source

Among many others.

It seems that Paul Thurott's opinion is worthless and
uninformed...unless he says something positive about an Apple product.
Then he becomes a beacon of truth and righteousness cutting through
the night. And the Maccies wonder why we are so amused by them. 8)

Carl

Jun 11, 2008, 11:32:08 AM6/11/08
Sorry, but until they incorporate a phone book system, a calendar a task
manager, and a to do list which can synchronize with MS Outlook, moving it a
little more away from being a glorified toy and more towards business use,
much as I want one, I won't have one. I don't even begin to understand how
you can compare it to a Blackberry. The iPhone is still a device designed
for the non-professional user.

SMS

Jun 11, 2008, 11:40:09 AM6/11/08
ed wrote:

> it will? i ported over from verizon to at&t and tried out an iphone
> for a few weeks, and just ported back over to verizon and a htc touch
> (xv6900 on verizon) this weekend, and i'm digging it so far. maybe if
> some extra super news about the new iphone comes out in the next few
> weeks i'll port back over, but i'm really digging the customizability,
> flexibility, and speed of this phone. :D

The XV6800 is what set the bar for Apple's iPhone revision in terms of
features, other than the iPhone's lack of a slide-out keyboard, lack of
a memory card slot, and lack of a user-replaceable battery, the new
iPhone is a worthy competitor.

Ron

Jun 11, 2008, 1:31:20 PM6/11/08
On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 14:37:20 GMT, "Richard Colton" <usenet@ NO PORK
PRODUCTS uselessinfo.org.uk> wrote:

>"Ron" <roncl...@peoplepc.com> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 07:19:24 -0400, News <Ne...@Group.name> wrote:

Guess you didnt see the announcement of the iPhone App store, where
you download apps straight to the iPhone, many of them (like a Reuters
feed) FREE.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/features/appstore.html

Best of all, they're vetted by Apple, so you wont have the issues with
apps causing lockups, like on Palm, Windoze, and RIM devices.

>Do you have to get up especially early to practice being this fucking
>stoopid?
>
>Now take your cross-posted shite and keep it to relevant groups.
>
>XP'd & FU'd

When I get answered by childish explitives I know I am spot on.

Steve Hix

Jun 11, 2008, 2:10:57 PM6/11/08
In article <484ff03a$0$5003$607e...@cv.net>,
"Carl" <crot...@NOSPAMoptonline.net> wrote:

> David Moyer wrote:
> > a very good read from one the most hardcore Windows Users on the
> > planet.
> >
> > Paul Thurrott -- June 10, 2008
> >
> > "I cannot stress this enough: You need to get an iPhone. Sooner rather
> > than later. With Apple dropping the entry price on this innovative
> > device to just $200, while fixing all of the major issues I described
> > in How Apple Can Fix the iPhone in 2008, there are precious few
> > reasons to ignore this seismic shift in mobile and cloud computing.
> > I've said it before and I'll say it again: The iPhone is a
> > dramatically important computing platform and one you should not
> > ignore. Trust me, once you've used an iPhone, that Blackberry or
> > Windows Mobile device you're settling on now will seem like ancient
> > Soviet-era technology by comparison."
> >
> > much more here....
> >
> > http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/iphone3g_preview.asp
> >
> > http://www.apple.com/iphone/
> >
> Sorry, but until they incorporate a phone book system, a calendar a task
> manager, and a to do list which can synchronize with MS Outlook,

Coming in early July. Of this year. It was announced at the beginning of
this week.

If you'd done just a smidgen of homework....

MuahMan

Jun 11, 2008, 2:12:54 PM6/11/08
On Jun 11, 2:10 pm, Steve Hix <se...@NOSPAMspeakeasy.netINVALID>
wrote:
> In article <484ff03a$0$5003$607ed...@cv.net>,
> If you'd done just a smidgen of homework....- Hide quoted text -

Basically the only way the iPhone can succeed is when they force it to
work with all the Windows business tools! Without MSFT, Apple
wouldn't exit. Without stealing all of Xerox's intellectual property,
Apple wouldn't exist.

Steve de Mena

Jun 11, 2008, 2:19:09 PM6/11/08

I guess you haven't read about the Apple support for Microsoft
Exchange servers upcoming in version 2.0?

Steve

News

Jun 11, 2008, 2:23:20 PM6/11/08

Ron wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 07:19:24 -0400, News <Ne...@Group.name> wrote:
>

>>Yebbut, what about the lack of APPS? Still NO APPS.
>

> Guess you didnt see the announcement of the iPhone App store

If you call those "APPS", there is no reasoning with you....

Alan Baker

Jun 11, 2008, 2:50:59 PM6/11/08
In article <8npv445qhl87jklfa...@4ax.com>,

You are apparently unfamiliar with the concept of "statement against
interest"...

Ron

Jun 11, 2008, 2:52:38 PM6/11/08

If it doesnt mirror some trivial Palm app that locks up any Treo,
there's no reasoning with You.

News

Jun 11, 2008, 3:06:41 PM6/11/08

Ron wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 14:23:20 -0400, News <Ne...@Group.name> wrote:
>

>>Ron wrote:

>>>Guess you didnt see the announcement of the iPhone App store
>>

>>If you call those "APPS", there is no reasoning with you....
>

> If it doesnt mirror some trivial Palm app that locks up any Treo,
> there's no reasoning with You.

Wouldn't know. I have never used a Palm device.

Chance Furlong

Jun 11, 2008, 3:11:02 PM6/11/08
In article
<8326096e-f43c-4dd7...@e39g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>,
MuahMan <mua...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Without stealing all of Xerox's intellectual property, Apple wouldn't exist.

Prove it, or Lurky will make you prove it.

PC Guy

Jun 11, 2008, 4:09:36 PM6/11/08

"Mayor of R'lyeh" <mayor.o...@gmail.com> wrote in message

My first thought when I read Alan's post.

PC Guy

Jun 11, 2008, 4:10:58 PM6/11/08

"David Moyer" <mee...@world.com> wrote in message

> a very good read from one the most hardcore Windows Users on the planet.
>
> Paul Thurrott -- June 10, 2008
>
> "I cannot stress this enough: You need to get an iPhone. Sooner rather
> than later. With Apple dropping the entry price on this innovative
> device to just $200, while fixing all of the major issues I described in
> How Apple Can Fix the iPhone in 2008, there are precious few reasons to
> ignore this seismic shift in mobile and cloud computing. I've said it
> before and I'll say it again: The iPhone is a dramatically important
> computing platform and one you should not ignore. Trust me, once you've
> used an iPhone, that Blackberry or Windows Mobile device you're settling
> on now will seem like ancient Soviet-era technology by comparison."
>
> much more here....
>
> http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/iphone3g_preview.asp
>
> http://www.apple.com/iphone/

I'm not surprised since they're almost giving the thing away.

ZnU

Jun 11, 2008, 4:18:54 PM6/11/08
In article <calvin-77962B....@news.goldengate.net>,
Calvin <cal...@microsoft.com> wrote:

> In article <OYudnXVjR4ldKdLV...@speakeasy.net>,

> This great new iPhone still does not do MMS. WTF?

MMS is doomed in the long run. Why bother on a device that has a
high-speed connection to the wider Internet, and can send and receive
real e-mail with attachments?

--
"No one has supported President Bush on Iraq more than I have." -McCain in April

"I disagreed strongly with the Bush administration's mismanagement of the war
in Iraq." -McCain in June

PC Guy

Jun 11, 2008, 4:29:59 PM6/11/08

"Alan Baker" <alang...@telus.net> wrote in message

We sure are. It's the concept you try to invoke every time you attempt to
weasel out of your previous argument that conflicts with your current
argument.

Larry

Jun 11, 2008, 4:19:28 PM6/11/08
Ron <roncl...@peoplepc.com> wrote in

> Best of all, they're vetted by Apple, so you wont have the issues with
> apps causing lockups, like on Palm, Windoze, and RIM devices.

I'm saving this statement to My Documents for later......(c;

Ron

Jun 11, 2008, 5:11:26 PM6/11/08
On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 14:10:58 -0600, "PC Guy" <pc...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

Yesterday the anti-Apple crowd wasw complaining that you could still
find a RIM or Palm cheaper.

PC Guy

Jun 11, 2008, 5:22:28 PM6/11/08

"Ron" <roncl...@peoplepc.com> wrote in message

And?

Steve Hix

Jun 11, 2008, 5:34:37 PM6/11/08
In article <w7idnd2vOYs8is3V...@speakeasy.net>,
News <Ne...@Group.name> wrote:

Poke around a bit for articles about the iPhone SDK this week at WWDC.

Or, if pictures are easier for you than words, watch the WWDC keynote
video and see examples of some of the upcoming applications being demoed.

Message has been deleted

David Moyer

Jun 11, 2008, 6:04:25 PM6/11/08
In article <484ff03a$0$5003$607e...@cv.net>,
"Carl" <crot...@NOSPAMoptonline.net> wrote:

> Sorry, but until they incorporate a phone book system, a calendar a task
> manager, and a to do list which can synchronize with MS Outlook, moving it a
> little more away from being a glorified toy and more towards business use,
> much as I want one, I won't have one. I don't even begin to understand how
> you can compare it to a Blackberry. The iPhone is still a device designed
> for the non-professional user.

they announced that on Monday as well, take the tour of "MobleMe.com"...
and if you want to do more than syncing of phone, addresses, calendars,
task, todo's, then you can connect any iPhone to MS Exchange 2003, or
2007.

http://www.apple.com/mobileme/

the tour of the features

http://www.apple.com/mobileme/guidedtour/

and the iPhone for Enterprise

http://www.apple.com/iphone/enterprise/

Sweet!

David Moyer

Jun 11, 2008, 6:07:22 PM6/11/08

> Without MSFT, Apple
> wouldn't exit. Without stealing all of Xerox's intellectual property,
> Apple wouldn't exist.

actually, Apple was the one that put MS on the map when won the contract
to make their basic for the Apple //.

and Apple PAID Xerox, they didn't steal a thing. Plus Xerox "invited"
Apple to see what they were doing, they never invited MS to anything.

and besides.... today, everyone uses the Mac UI, not the Xerox one.

David Moyer

Jun 11, 2008, 6:13:27 PM6/11/08
In article <FhS3k.1109$LG4...@nlpi065.nbdc.sbc.com>,
SMS <scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:

> The XV6800 is what set the bar for Apple's iPhone revision in terms of
> features, other than the iPhone's lack of a slide-out keyboard, lack of
> a memory card slot, and lack of a user-replaceable battery, the new
> iPhone is a worthy competitor.

the iPhone keyboard works FAR better than the old physical ones, it's
where all cell phones will eventually end up since you can type faster
and you can still use the whole screen for other tasks when the keyboard
is not in use.

you can add a memory card slot, you've been able to do that for years.

and the battery is user replaceable, it's just $24.

http://www.meritline.com/iphone-battery-tools-451.html

so you might want to learn how to research before you post again.
thanks!!

David Moyer

Jun 11, 2008, 6:18:14 PM6/11/08
News <Ne...@Group.name> wrote:

> , while fixing all of the major issues I described in
> > How Apple Can Fix the iPhone in 2008,
>

> Yebbut, what about the lack of APPS? Still NO APPS.

ah, there are over 1700 apps for the iPhone, with 1000's more coming on
July 11th.

http://www.apple.com/webapps/

> Still a fashion accessory, no more.

nah, the iPhone is far and away the most sophiscated cell phone you can
buy. It has the largest library of quality apps, the longest battery
life, the easy to navigate UI, the only phone with a real browser, etc,
etc, etc. no other cell phone is even close to the iphone in overall
functionality.

David Moyer

Jun 11, 2008, 6:22:32 PM6/11/08
In article <p0lv44po0cd3p3u66...@4ax.com>,
Ron <roncl...@peoplepc.com> wrote:

> Guess you didnt see the announcement of the iPhone App store, where
> you download apps straight to the iPhone, many of them (like a Reuters
> feed) FREE.
>
> http://www.apple.com/iphone/features/appstore.html
>

> Best of all, they're vetted by Apple, so you wont have the issues with
> apps causing lockups, like on Palm, Windoze, and RIM devices.

yes, that's a nice feature, plus it's on OSX so you won't have to deal
with quirky issues like Windows users are force to work with every day.

it's one incredible device, that's for sure.

Dutch

Jun 11, 2008, 6:25:10 PM6/11/08
David Moyer wrote:

> In article
> <8326096e-f43c-4dd7...@e39g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>,
> MuahMan <mua...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Without MSFT, Apple
>> wouldn't exit. Without stealing all of Xerox's intellectual property,
>> Apple wouldn't exist.
>
> actually, Apple was the one that put MS on the map when won the contract
> to make their basic for the Apple //.

MS was founded to develop and sell BASIC interpreters for the Altair
8800. The Apple //'s integer BASIC in ROM was written by Steve Wozniak.

--
Dutch
Sprint/Motorola RAZR V3m

Kevin Weaver

Jun 11, 2008, 7:14:10 PM6/11/08
How can you say that ? Being there are no apps yet. Why do you think there
only going to allow one app to run at a time ? Because it may lock up.

Time will tell when the apps start showing up.

"David Moyer" <mee...@world.com> wrote in message

Alan Baker

Jun 11, 2008, 7:27:22 PM6/11/08
In article <8JOdnRNVgaNMqM3V...@comcast.com>,
"PC Guy" <pc...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Give an example...

Steve de Mena

Jun 11, 2008, 7:46:23 PM6/11/08
ZnU wrote:
> In article <calvin-77962B....@news.goldengate.net>,
> Calvin <cal...@microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>> In article <OYudnXVjR4ldKdLV...@speakeasy.net>,
>> News <Ne...@Group.name> wrote:

>>> Yebbut, what about that $800 long tail of service obligation...
>>>

>>> , while fixing all of the major issues I described in
>>>
>>> Yebbut, what about the lack of APPS? Still NO APPS.
>>>
>>> Still a fashion accessory, no more.
>> This great new iPhone still does not do MMS. WTF?
>
> MMS is doomed in the long run. Why bother on a device that has a
> high-speed connection to the wider Internet, and can send and receive
> real e-mail with attachments?

So you can communicate with people in the real world who have MMS
capabilites (only).

Steve

David Moyer

Jun 11, 2008, 8:02:43 PM6/11/08
Dutch <bur...@blackholespam.net> wrote:

> > actually, Apple was the one that put MS on the map when won the contract
> > to make their basic for the Apple //.
>
> MS was founded to develop and sell BASIC interpreters for the Altair
> 8800. The Apple //'s integer BASIC in ROM was written by Steve Wozniak.

yes, Woz wrote a integer BASIC, but it was Microsoft that got their
first big contract from Apple. Look inside any Apple ][ or ][ plus and
you'll see a chip with basic on it, stamped MICROSOFT

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Applesoft_BASIC

Ron

Jun 11, 2008, 8:11:38 PM6/11/08
On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 16:13:27 -0600, David Moyer <mee...@world.com>
wrote:

>In article <FhS3k.1109$LG4...@nlpi065.nbdc.sbc.com>,

Is that one of those Chinese exploding batteries? And its hardly near
instantaneous to change batteries.

Alan Baker

Jun 11, 2008, 8:17:57 PM6/11/08
In article <ocmdnV3kyNFS_s3V...@giganews.com>,

Gee...

If only someone could figure out how to make a device automatically
convert an email message into an MMS message and vice versa...

<http://www.modmyifone.com/wiki/index.php/MMS_Email_Addresses>

ed

Jun 11, 2008, 8:44:00 PM6/11/08
On Jun 11, 5:17 pm, Alan Baker <alangba...@telus.net> wrote:
> In article <ocmdnV3kyNFS_s3VnZ2dnUVZ_gedn...@giganews.com>,

> Steve de Mena <st...@stevedemena.com> wrote:
<snip>

> > So you can communicate with people in the real world who have MMS
> > capabilites (only).
>
> > Steve
>
> Gee...
>
> If only someone could figure out how to make a device automatically
> convert an email message into an MMS message and vice versa...

or apple could include functionality included in every free cell phone
the last several years. i mean seriously, the unit cost is none, and
the coding could probably be done in a day (it'd take more to do
thorough testing, etc, but dude).

> <http://www.modmyifone.com/wiki/index.php/MMS_Email_Addresses>

yeah, that's a nice complete solution! hahahaaa! i mean, you could
text message your buddy to ask them what carrier they use, then cross
reference it with this far from complete list, then email them if
their carrier is on it. hahahaaaaaaaaa! i don't EVER want to hear
you complain about some workaround on windows ever again if you really
think this is a solution. seriously, HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAAA, you crack
me up alan!

Alan Baker

Jun 11, 2008, 8:46:12 PM6/11/08
In article
<a560d1b3-c9f1-4f16...@26g2000hsk.googlegroups.com>,
ed <ne...@atwistedweb.com> wrote:

"Or you can simply send a message to xxxxx...@teleflip.com and they
will automatically detect the carrier. Teleflip is free to use. For more
information: https://www.teleflip.com/blog/services/flipout/"

Dutch

Jun 11, 2008, 8:56:30 PM6/11/08
David Moyer wrote:

The Altair deal predated the Apple deal, resulting in the creation of
Microsoft. The Apple deal came later in the game. The Apple // was first
sold with Woz's integer BASIC, and the MS BASIC wasn't added until the
users started demanding floating point. MS was paid a flat $31,000 for
an 8-year license to it that was eventually renewed, leaving MS with the
full rights to the Mac version. Not all that dissimilar to the deal they
wrangled from IBM later on.

The fact remains though, the Altair deal created Microsoft, and the
Apple deal firmed the foundation.

David Moyer

Jun 11, 2008, 9:37:26 PM6/11/08
Ron <roncl...@peoplepc.com> wrote:

> >so you might want to learn how to research before you post again.
> >thanks!!
>
> Is that one of those Chinese exploding batteries? And its hardly near
> instantaneous to change batteries.

the exploding batteries where on laptops because the chemistry was
wrong, it never affected ipods or iphones.

the battery is easily replaceable is the point, and a lot of people
don't know this. sure, chances are 99% you'd have a new iPhone before
the old one begins to lose charge, but the ignorance about iPhone and
iPod batteries is amazing...

they are ALL user replaceable!

-

SMS

Jun 11, 2008, 9:43:03 PM6/11/08
David Moyer wrote:
> In article <FhS3k.1109$LG4...@nlpi065.nbdc.sbc.com>,
> SMS <scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:
>
>> The XV6800 is what set the bar for Apple's iPhone revision in terms of
>> features, other than the iPhone's lack of a slide-out keyboard, lack of
>> a memory card slot, and lack of a user-replaceable battery, the new
>> iPhone is a worthy competitor.
>
> the iPhone keyboard works FAR better than the old physical ones, it's
> where all cell phones will eventually end up since you can type faster
> and you can still use the whole screen for other tasks when the keyboard
> is not in use.
>
> you can add a memory card slot, you've been able to do that for years.

Huh? The iPhone has been out for only about a year, how could you have
been able to add a memory card slot "for years?" What is the accessory
that allows you to add a memory card?

> and the battery is user replaceable, it's just $24.
>
> http://www.meritline.com/iphone-battery-tools-451.html

Yes, for those comfortable doing soldering it's user-replacable, LOL.

> so you might want to learn how to research before you post again.
> thanks!!

Look in the mirror please. Thanks!!

ed

Jun 11, 2008, 10:01:44 PM6/11/08
On Jun 11, 5:46 pm, Alan Baker <alangba...@telus.net> wrote:
> In article
<snip>

> > > If only someone could figure out how to make a device automatically
> > > convert an email message into an MMS message and vice versa...
>
> > or apple could include functionality included in every free cell phone
> > the last several years.  i mean seriously, the unit cost is none, and
> > the coding could probably be done in a day (it'd take more to do
> > thorough testing, etc, but dude).
>
> > > <http://www.modmyifone.com/wiki/index.php/MMS_Email_Addresses>
>
> > yeah, that's a nice complete solution!  hahahaaa!  i mean, you could
> > text message your buddy to ask them what carrier they use, then cross
> > reference it with this far from complete list, then email them if
> > their carrier is on it.  hahahaaaaaaaaa!  i don't EVER want to hear
> > you complain about some workaround on windows ever again if you really
> > think this is a solution.  seriously,  HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAAA, you crack
> > me up alan!
>
> "Or you can simply send a message to xxxxxxx...@teleflip.com and they

> will automatically detect the carrier. Teleflip is free to use. For more
> information:https://www.teleflip.com/blog/services/flipout/"

yeah, you could simply try that... but there's a decent chance it
won't work (sends a regular text message to vz for example)

PC Guy

Jun 11, 2008, 10:02:12 PM6/11/08

"Alan Baker" <alang...@telus.net> wrote in message

Certainly. Take a look at this thread:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys.mac.advocacy/browse_frm/thread/bd9da39d9e3ce729/6a7674d92e39c2d6?lnk=raot#6a7674d92e39c2d6

You're welcome

Kevin Weaver

Jun 11, 2008, 11:09:11 PM6/11/08

"David Moyer" <mee...@world.com> wrote in message

So the reason we would have a new iPhone before the battery wears out is ?
Ohh I get it. The phone will crap out before the battery will.

> they are ALL user replaceable!

Tell that to apple. At 199 for the phone and there charging 79.00 to replace
the battery ?
Can you say bend over ? I knew you could.

> -

Todd Allcock

Jun 11, 2008, 10:56:11 PM6/11/08
At 11 Jun 2008 16:13:27 -0600 David Moyer wrote:

> > The XV6800 is what set the bar for Apple's iPhone revision in terms of
> > features, other than the iPhone's lack of a slide-out keyboard, lack of
> > a memory card slot, and lack of a user-replaceable battery, the new
> > iPhone is a worthy competitor.
>
> the iPhone keyboard works FAR better than the old physical ones, it's
> where all cell phones will eventually end up since you can type faster
> and you can still use the whole screen for other tasks when the keyboard
> is not in use.

With a physical keyboard you can see the whole screen even when the
keyboard is in use!

> you can add a memory card slot...

To the iPhone? How?

> ...you've been able to do that for years.
The iPhone is 11 months old- you haven't been able to anything to it "for

years."

> and the battery is user replaceable, it's just $24.
>
> http://www.meritline.com/iphone-battery-tools-451.html

+$5 or so for the soldering iron. Or do you still stand by your old "there
are clips under the tape" story?

> so you might want to learn how to research before you post again.
> thanks!!

Pot, kettle, black...

Todd Allcock

Jun 11, 2008, 11:06:17 PM6/11/08
At 11 Jun 2008 16:18:54 -0400 ZnU wrote:

> MMS is doomed in the long run. Why bother on a device that has a
> high-speed connection to the wider Internet, and can send and receive
> real e-mail with attachments?

Because MMS is the "poor man's push e-mail." Personally I hardly use it,
since I use a smartphone that handles e-mail and attachments, but it's
still the quickest and dirtiest way to quickly send a picture or video to
someone else's dumbphone. Any higher-end/more featured product should
incorporate a super-set of the features lower-end products have- not only
higher-end features incompatible with other products.

The iPhone's lack of MMS is either just laziness on the part of it's
developers, or snobbishness of Apple's brass.

Carl

Jun 11, 2008, 11:34:10 PM6/11/08
Steve Hix wrote:
> In article <484ff03a$0$5003$607e...@cv.net>,
> "Carl" <crot...@NOSPAMoptonline.net> wrote:
>
>> David Moyer wrote:
>>> a very good read from one the most hardcore Windows Users on the
>>> planet.
>>>
>>> Paul Thurrott -- June 10, 2008
>>>
>>> "I cannot stress this enough: You need to get an iPhone. Sooner
>>> rather than later. With Apple dropping the entry price on this
>>> innovative device to just $200, while fixing all of the major
>>> issues I described in How Apple Can Fix the iPhone in 2008, there
>>> are precious few reasons to ignore this seismic shift in mobile and
>>> cloud computing. I've said it before and I'll say it again: The
>>> iPhone is a dramatically important computing platform and one you
>>> should not ignore. Trust me, once you've used an iPhone, that
>>> Blackberry or Windows Mobile device you're settling on now will
>>> seem like ancient Soviet-era technology by comparison."
>>>
>>> much more here....
>>>
>>> http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/iphone3g_preview.asp
>>>
>>> http://www.apple.com/iphone/
>>>
>> Sorry, but until they incorporate a phone book system, a calendar a
>> task manager, and a to do list which can synchronize with MS Outlook,
>
> Coming in early July. Of this year. It was announced at the beginning
> of this week.
>
> If you'd done just a smidgen of homework....

I believe what you're referring to is its usability with Microsoft EXCHANGE,
not synchronization with Outlook. I don't use MS Exchange. My business
needs are not that sophisticated. The BB syncs directly with MS Outlook
without Exchange.

If I'm right, then I've done my "smidgen of homework" and you've just been
arrogant. Show me I'm wrong and I'll post an apology to you right here. I'll
expect the same from you if you can't.

Carl

Jun 11, 2008, 11:46:45 PM6/11/08
Steve de Mena wrote:

> Carl wrote:
>> David Moyer wrote:
>>> a very good read from one the most hardcore Windows Users on the
>>> planet.
>>>
>>> Paul Thurrott -- June 10, 2008
>>>
>>> "I cannot stress this enough: You need to get an iPhone. Sooner
>>> rather than later. With Apple dropping the entry price on this
>>> innovative device to just $200, while fixing all of the major
>>> issues I described in How Apple Can Fix the iPhone in 2008, there
>>> are precious few reasons to ignore this seismic shift in mobile and
>>> cloud computing. I've said it before and I'll say it again: The
>>> iPhone is a dramatically important computing platform and one you
>>> should not ignore. Trust me, once you've used an iPhone, that
>>> Blackberry or Windows Mobile device you're settling on now will
>>> seem like ancient Soviet-era technology by comparison."
>>>
>>> much more here....
>>>
>>> http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/iphone3g_preview.asp
>>>
>>> http://www.apple.com/iphone/
>>>
>> Sorry, but until they incorporate a phone book system, a calendar a
>> task manager, and a to do list which can synchronize with MS
>> Outlook, moving it a little more away from being a glorified toy and
>> more towards business use, much as I want one, I won't have one. I
>> don't even begin to understand how you can compare it to a
>> Blackberry. The iPhone is still a device designed for the
>> non-professional user.
>
> I guess you haven't read about the Apple support for Microsoft
> Exchange servers upcoming in version 2.0?
>
> Steve

As I've replied to the other poster in this thread, who was, however, a bit
more arrogant about it than you, yes I am aware of this and have read it. I
do not use MS Exchange or a server system. I am not a large corporate user
and I would like it to simply sync with MS Outlook through an included
synchronization program like Activesync, such as the Blackberry does. My
apologies for this next comment, which will sound as if it rings of my own
arrogance, but my post said I wanted it to sync with MS Outlook. If I wanted
it to work with MS Exchange, I would have said Exchange. Sorry. But thanks
for trying to point me in the right direction. Perhaps I need to look into
upgrading my system to utilize Exchange at this point, but I've gotten by
for so long without it.

Carl

Jun 11, 2008, 11:48:43 PM6/11/08
Ah, now this is something I will spend some time looking into. Thank you.

Steve de Mena

Jun 11, 2008, 11:57:03 PM6/11/08
David Moyer wrote:
> In article
> <8326096e-f43c-4dd7...@e39g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>,
> MuahMan <mua...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Without MSFT, Apple
>> wouldn't exit. Without stealing all of Xerox's intellectual property,
>> Apple wouldn't exist.
>
> actually, Apple was the one that put MS on the map when won the contract
> to make their basic for the Apple //.

Apple "put MS on the map"? So much so that this isn't even mentioned
in the MS wikipedia entry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft

Steve

Steve de Mena

Jun 11, 2008, 11:58:20 PM6/11/08

The iPhone has no memory card slot nor user-replaceable battery.

Steve

David Moyer

Jun 12, 2008, 12:10:37 AM6/12/08
In article <g2q57o$h9h$1...@aioe.org>,
Todd Allcock <elecc...@AmericaOnLine.com> wrote:

> > the iPhone keyboard works FAR better than the old physical ones, it's
> > where all cell phones will eventually end up since you can type faster
> > and you can still use the whole screen for other tasks when the keyboard
> > is not in use.
>
> With a physical keyboard you can see the whole screen even when the
> keyboard is in use!

but screens on Blackberries and Nokia's are microscopic so that's a poor
argument.

> > you can add a memory card slot...
>
> To the iPhone? How?

belkin sells one.

> > ...you've been able to do that for years.
> The iPhone is 11 months old- you haven't been able to anything to it "for
> years."
>
> > and the battery is user replaceable, it's just $24.
> >
> > http://www.meritline.com/iphone-battery-tools-451.html
>
> +$5 or so for the soldering iron. Or do you still stand by your old "there
> are clips under the tape" story?

just install one in 3 years and find out.

> > so you might want to learn how to research before you post again.
> > thanks!!
>
> Pot, kettle, black...

you continuously don't understand the market, not me.

David Moyer

Jun 12, 2008, 12:13:28 AM6/12/08
In article <57dx1w4d...@blackholespam.net>,
Dutch <bur...@blackholespam.net> wrote:

> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Applesoft_BASIC
>
> The Altair deal predated the Apple deal, resulting in the creation of
> Microsoft. The Apple deal came later in the game. The Apple // was first
> sold with Woz's integer BASIC, and the MS BASIC wasn't added until the
> users started demanding floating point. MS was paid a flat $31,000 for
> an 8-year license to it that was eventually renewed, leaving MS with the
> full rights to the Mac version. Not all that dissimilar to the deal they
> wrangled from IBM later on.
>
> The fact remains though, the Altair deal created Microsoft, and the
> Apple deal firmed the foundation.

but Apple was the first large paying client of MS's, thus they guided MS
when they were young. MS wouldn't be around if it wasn't for Apple.

David Moyer

Jun 12, 2008, 12:16:44 AM6/12/08
In article <48509c26$0$5000$607e...@cv.net>,
"Carl" <crot...@NOSPAMoptonline.net> wrote:

> As I've replied to the other poster in this thread, who was, however, a bit
> more arrogant about it than you, yes I am aware of this and have read it. I
> do not use MS Exchange or a server system. I am not a large corporate user
> and I would like it to simply sync with MS Outlook through an included
> synchronization program like Activesync, such as the Blackberry does. My
> apologies for this next comment, which will sound as if it rings of my own
> arrogance, but my post said I wanted it to sync with MS Outlook. If I wanted
> it to work with MS Exchange, I would have said Exchange. Sorry. But thanks
> for trying to point me in the right direction. Perhaps I need to look into
> upgrading my system to utilize Exchange at this point, but I've gotten by
> for so long without it.

in your case, you just need MobileMe it uses activesync to sync your
iPhone to Outlook.

http://www.apple.com/mobileme/

David Moyer

Jun 12, 2008, 12:20:25 AM6/12/08
"Carl" <crot...@NOSPAMoptonline.net> wrote:

> I believe what you're referring to is its usability with Microsoft EXCHANGE,
> not synchronization with Outlook. I don't use MS Exchange. My business
> needs are not that sophisticated. The BB syncs directly with MS Outlook
> without Exchange.

nah, there are two levels of syncing for PC users... "exchange level"
which is more for enterprise, then "mobileme" which is for smaller
firms, families, students, etc. if your still trying to use a PC,
mobileme is what is going to work with outlook without having an
exchange server.

http://www.apple.com/mobileme/

David Moyer

Jun 12, 2008, 12:22:18 AM6/12/08
In article <EI2dnYyGHqtBA83V...@giganews.com>,

Steve de Mena <st...@stevedemena.com> wrote:

> > http://www.meritline.com/iphone-battery-tools-451.html
> >
> > so you might want to learn how to research before you post again.
> > thanks!!
>
> The iPhone has no memory card slot nor user-replaceable battery.

but you can always add one, and obviously you can replace your battery
when the time comes. cost is around $12-$25.

Dutch

Jun 12, 2008, 12:28:22 AM6/12/08
David Moyer wrote:

Ok, if you consider $3875 per year on an 8 year contract "large paying",
and split two ways at that, then I'll agree with you... :-)

Steve de Mena

Jun 12, 2008, 12:35:23 AM6/12/08

Do you like to send your personal emails through some unknown free
service? I'm sure they don't do anything with the addresses and
numbers they collect.

Making yet another excuse for Apple. Pitiful.

Steve

Steve de Mena

Jun 12, 2008, 12:37:37 AM6/12/08

I vote for snobbishness. Like how we don't have multimedia card
readers on ANY Mac.

Steve

Steve de Mena

Jun 12, 2008, 12:40:39 AM6/12/08
Carl wrote:

>>> Sorry, but until they incorporate a phone book system, a calendar a
>>> task manager, and a to do list which can synchronize with MS Outlook,
>> Coming in early July. Of this year. It was announced at the beginning
>> of this week.
>>
>> If you'd done just a smidgen of homework....
>>
> I believe what you're referring to is its usability with Microsoft EXCHANGE,
> not synchronization with Outlook. I don't use MS Exchange. My business
> needs are not that sophisticated. The BB syncs directly with MS Outlook
> without Exchange.
>
> If I'm right, then I've done my "smidgen of homework" and you've just been
> arrogant. Show me I'm wrong and I'll post an apology to you right here. I'll
> expect the same from you if you can't.

I think the "Mobile Me" solution will do this. It's "Exchange for the
rest of us".

http://www.apple.com/mobileme/

Exchange for the rest of us.
You might have a Mac at home, a PC at work, and an iPhone or iPod
touch. The challenge is keeping multiple devices always in sync.
Enterprises can use a server like Exchange. For everyone else, now
there's MobileMe.

Works with native applications.
MobileMe works with the applications you know well. Microsoft Outlook
on a PC. Mail, Address Book, and iCal on a Mac. And Mail, Contacts,
and Calendar on your iPhone or iPod touch.

Native application friendly.
MobileMe Mail uses the email applications you already know. On your
iPhone and iPod touch, it works with the built-in Mail application. It
also works with Mail on a Mac and Outlook, Outlook Express, or Windows
Mail on a PC.

Steve

Steve de Mena

Jun 12, 2008, 1:10:16 AM6/12/08

Steve

Sandman

Jun 12, 2008, 2:29:17 AM6/12/08
In article <znu-927BF1.1...@news.individual.net>, ZnU
<z...@fake.invalid> wrote:

> > > News:
> > > Yebbut, what about the lack of APPS? Still NO APPS.
> > >
> > > Still a fashion accessory, no more.

> > Calvin:
> > This great new iPhone still does not do MMS. WTF?

> ZnU:

> MMS is doomed in the long run. Why bother on a device that has a
> high-speed connection to the wider Internet, and can send and
> receive real e-mail with attachments?

Huh? MMS is a huge miss in the iPhone, especially when considering the
younger market. Email has nothing to put up against MMS, really. The
entire point of MMS is that your phone beeps when you get one, which
is pushed to your phone automatically.

Push email is only available for a $99 yearly fee from Apple and you
have to let everyone that wants to send you images about your puch
email address and you get the same new mail sound (which I've turned
off by the way).

So no, email can't substitute MMS since it's through the internet and
MMS is through the cellular network where push information is the
standard.

--
Sandman[.net]

Sandman

Jun 12, 2008, 2:31:42 AM6/12/08
In article <27Cdnb4x9q6MNc3V...@giganews.com>, Steve de
Mena <st...@stevedemena.com> wrote:

> > > ZnU:

> > > MMS is doomed in the long run. Why bother on a device that has a
> > > high-speed connection to the wider Internet, and can send and
> > > receive real e-mail with attachments?

> > Todd Allcock:

> > Because MMS is the "poor man's push e-mail." Personally I hardly
> > use it, since I use a smartphone that handles e-mail and
> > attachments, but it's still the quickest and dirtiest way to
> > quickly send a picture or video to someone else's dumbphone. Any
> > higher-end/more featured product should incorporate a super-set of
> > the features lower-end products have- not only higher-end features
> > incompatible with other products.
> >
> > The iPhone's lack of MMS is either just laziness on the part of
> > it's developers, or snobbishness of Apple's brass.

> Steve de Mena:

> I vote for snobbishness. Like how we don't have multimedia card
> readers on ANY Mac.

Huh? I have in my MacBook Pro.

--
Sandman[.net]

SMS

Jun 12, 2008, 2:30:49 AM6/12/08

Not from Apple, but there are add-ons available. I saw one jury-rigged
iPhone that had these features added. See
"http://i32.tinypic.com/6fcydz.jpg".

Alan Baker

Jun 12, 2008, 2:43:34 AM6/12/08
In article <OI-dnS1HDcMzHs3V...@comcast.com>,
"PC Guy" <pc...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Sorry, but "Take a look at this thread" isn't providing an example.

--
"The iPhone doesn't have a speaker phone" -- "I checked very carefully" --
"I checked Apple's web pages" -- Edwin on the iPhone
"It is Mac OS X, not BSD.' -- 'From Mac OS to BSD Unix." -- "It's BSD Unix with Apple's APIs and GUI on top of it' -- 'nothing but BSD Unix' (Edwin on Mac OS X)
'[The IBM PC] could boot multiple OS, such as DOS, C/PM, GEM, etc.' --
'I claimed nothing about GEM other than it was available software for the
IBM PC. (Edwin on GEM)
'Solaris is just a marketing rename of Sun OS.' -- 'Sun OS is not included
on the timeline of Solaris because it's a different OS.' (Edwin on Sun)

ZnU

Jun 12, 2008, 3:35:01 AM6/12/08
In article <mr-AF45E8.08...@News.Individual.NET>,
Sandman <m...@sandman.net> wrote:

I did say "in the long run". Apple is always rather future-oriented with
this sort of thing. Phone-specific protocols have no substantial future.
In the long run we're all going to be carrying around generic computing
devices with wireless broadband connections. IM and e-mail, over the
public Internet, will eventually replace SMS and MMS, and even voice
service will probably eventually fall to VoIP.

The carriers don't want this to happen, because they want to be able to
bill for specific services rather than just for generic bandwidth, but
in the long run it's inevitable.

As far as push goes, Apple has created a generalized solution for
allowing services on the public Internet to push to the iPhone. This is
a much more sensible idea than requiring a carrier's specific
cooperation for every application requiring push.

--
"No one has supported President Bush on Iraq more than I have." -McCain in April

"I disagreed strongly with the Bush administration's mismanagement of the war
in Iraq." -McCain in June

DubbelDubbery

Jun 12, 2008, 3:40:03 AM6/12/08

"David Moyer" <mee...@world.com> schreef in bericht

>a very good read from one the most hardcore Windows Users on the planet.
>
> Paul Thurrott -- June 10, 2008
>
> "I cannot stress this enough: You need to get an iPhone. Sooner rather
> than later. With Apple dropping the entry price on this innovative
> device to just $200, while fixing all of the major issues I described in
> How Apple Can Fix the iPhone in 2008, there are precious few reasons to
> ignore this seismic shift in mobile and cloud computing. I've said it
> before and I'll say it again: The iPhone is a dramatically important
> computing platform and one you should not ignore. Trust me, once you've
> used an iPhone, that Blackberry or Windows Mobile device you're settling
> on now will seem like ancient Soviet-era technology by comparison."
>
> much more here....
>
> http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/iphone3g_preview.asp
>
> http://www.apple.com/iphone/

I am still waiting for the AmigA phone, until then......... ;o)

news1.telia.com

Jun 12, 2008, 6:03:54 AM6/12/08

IN A NOKIA GROUP???

WHY???

"Alan Baker" <alang...@telus.net> skrev i meddelandet

> In article <8npv445qhl87jklfa...@4ax.com>,
> Mayor of R'lyeh <mayor.o...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 00:30:30 -0600, David Moyer <mee...@world.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>> >a very good read from one the most hardcore Windows Users on the planet.
>> >
>> >Paul Thurrott -- June 10, 2008
>> >
>> >"I cannot stress this enough: You need to get an iPhone. Sooner rather
>> >than later. With Apple dropping the entry price on this innovative
>> >device to just $200, while fixing all of the major issues I described in
>> >How Apple Can Fix the iPhone in 2008, there are precious few reasons to
>> >ignore this seismic shift in mobile and cloud computing. I've said it
>> >before and I'll say it again: The iPhone is a dramatically important
>> >computing platform and one you should not ignore. Trust me, once you've
>> >used an iPhone, that Blackberry or Windows Mobile device you're settling
>> >on now will seem like ancient Soviet-era technology by comparison."
>> >
>> >much more here....
>> >
>> >http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/iphone3g_preview.asp
>> >
>> >http://www.apple.com/iphone/
>>

>> "What bothers me most about that Thurrot site is he posts short "sound
>> bite" comments with no critical analysis, and hides behind the fact
>> that
>> the site does not accept comments. I can see why, since nearly every
>> one
>> of his posts would be refuted by relevant facts. Still, the solution
>> should be for Thurrot to clean up his reporting, not disallow
>> comments. "
>> http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys.mac.advocacy/msg/bde33da9cee4d6a3?dmod
>> e=source
>>
>> "Seems that Mr. Thurrot doesn't understand a lot of stuff: "
>> http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys.mac.advocacy/msg/4d3cdbea6948ceef?dmod
>> e=source
>>
>> Among many others.
>>
>> It seems that Paul Thurott's opinion is worthless and
>> uninformed...unless he says something positive about an Apple product.
>> Then he becomes a beacon of truth and righteousness cutting through
>> the night. And the Maccies wonder why we are so amused by them. 8)
>>

> You are apparently unfamiliar with the concept of "statement against
> interest"...

news1.telia.com

Jun 12, 2008, 6:05:13 AM6/12/08
IS IT THE NEW NOKIA IPHONE???

"DubbelDubbery" <dub...@dubbe.ry> skrev i meddelandet

Jim Mason

Jun 12, 2008, 6:17:39 AM6/12/08
In article <4850d2d2$0$14342$e4fe...@news.xs4all.nl>, dub...@dubbe.ry
says...

> I am still waiting for the AmigA phone, until then......... ;o)

The N95 is as close as you will get.

Sandman

Jun 12, 2008, 6:21:51 AM6/12/08
In article <znu-C35771.0...@news.individual.net>, ZnU
<z...@fake.invalid> wrote:

> > > ZnU:
> > > MMS is doomed in the long run. Why bother on a device that has a
> > > high-speed connection to the wider Internet, and can send and
> > > receive real e-mail with attachments?

> > Sandman:

> > Huh? MMS is a huge miss in the iPhone, especially when considering
> > the younger market. Email has nothing to put up against MMS,
> > really. The entire point of MMS is that your phone beeps when you
> > get one, which is pushed to your phone automatically.
> >
> > Push email is only available for a $99 yearly fee from Apple and
> > you have to let everyone that wants to send you images about your
> > puch email address and you get the same new mail sound (which
> > I've turned off by the way).
> >
> > So no, email can't substitute MMS since it's through the internet
> > and MMS is through the cellular network where push information is
> > the standard.

> ZnU:

> I did say "in the long run". Apple is always rather future-oriented
> with this sort of thing. Phone-specific protocols have no
> substantial future. In the long run we're all going to be carrying
> around generic computing devices with wireless broadband
> connections. IM and e-mail, over the public Internet, will
> eventually replace SMS and MMS, and even voice service will
> probably eventually fall to VoIP.

Television companies here in Sweden have a hard time moving to
WAN-distributed TV broadcasts due to bandwidth problems that the
digital dedicated net doesn't have. Doing it over the internet is
totally unthinkable in the foreseeable future.

The problem with "internet" is that it's shared with an increasing
amount of users outside the control of the telecom operators. If they
get a million new customers on their cell network, they build a bigger
network. If their users depended solely on communications through
shared networks outside the operators net, the operator can't
guarantee bandwidth, which is a problem.

And you still have the problem with standards. SMS/MMS is fairly
universal and "every" phone knows how to handle them and what to do
when the event occurs.

And if the only difference is that the MMS messages comes through
internet than through the cellular network (i.e. you avoid the horror
of distributing "push email addresses" to your contacts), why not
impletement a cellular-driven solution right now as they did SMS?

> The carriers don't want this to happen, because they want to be able
> to bill for specific services rather than just for generic
> bandwidth, but in the long run it's inevitable.

I get 5000 free SMS and MMS and unlimited voice and video calls each
month for a flat rate of $70/month for my cellular service. The SMS
boom is slowly dying here in Scnadinavia. Most cellular providers
compete in how many free SMS you get each month, not on the price for
the single SMS sent, which was the case a couple of years ago.

> As far as push goes, Apple has created a generalized solution for
> allowing services on the public Internet to push to the iPhone. This
> is a much more sensible idea than requiring a carrier's specific
> cooperation for every application requiring push.

Right, but then it's still tied to the identity of me as an Apple
customer, not necessarily my phone number. I bet that could be married
together somehow, though.

But even so, we're still incompatible with 99.9% of the rest of the
world for now and for a great number of years ahead if we're supposed
to wait for the iPhone to be dominant enough for "Apples way" to be
the "right" way.

And that's just a shame. And a pretty huge threshold for young people
to buy in to the iPhone I think. At least here in scandinavia.

I think it would have been way better for Apple to just support it out
of the box and then introduce a Better Way<tm> when they were ready
with the services and such. They did put a substansive amount of
developer time to get Visual Voicemail to work, which is a new
cellular driven service. If they were bent on doing it the "apple way"
they could have had voicemails saved to .mac or something like that.

--
Sandman[.net]

Carl

Jun 12, 2008, 9:22:23 AM6/12/08
Yes, thanks to all of you who have pointed me to Mobileme, which I was not
aware of until one helpful poster (before you I mean) posted it last night.

And that program makes the iPhone more appealing to me. However, and I don't
mean to be trying to throw roadblocks of rationalizations at you all, I
believe neither MS Exchange nor Mobileme sychronize the task list or Notes,
but only the calendar and address book. I did mention all four functions in
my original post. I use them all. Any information or workarounds on these
two functions?

Carl

Jun 12, 2008, 9:24:10 AM6/12/08
Yes, thanks for that information, something which I have been slowly finding
out. What happens to the ToDo list and Notes with mobileme?

David Moyer

Jun 12, 2008, 10:22:50 AM6/12/08
In article <485123a5$0$7346$607e...@cv.net>,
"Carl" <crot...@NOSPAMoptonline.net> wrote:

> Yes, thanks for that information, something which I have been slowly finding
> out. What happens to the ToDo list and Notes with mobileme?

probably, but we won't know for sure until July 11th.

Steve Mackay

Jun 12, 2008, 10:58:57 AM6/12/08

Oxford, you're such a retard... You can't "add" a memory card slot, and
the battery is not "user replaceable" as you've continually claimed.
Unless you have soldering skills.

You keep claiming Belkin sells a memory card slot. But the fact is, they
don't sell any such device whatsoever for the iPhone.

http://www.belkin.com/ipod/iphone/

Mayor of R'lyeh

Jun 12, 2008, 11:41:49 AM6/12/08
On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 14:29:59 -0600, "PC Guy" <pc...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>"Alan Baker" <alang...@telus.net> wrote in message

>> In article <8npv445qhl87jklfa...@4ax.com>,
>> Mayor of R'lyeh <mayor.o...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> "What bothers me most about that Thurrot site is he posts short "sound
>>> bite" comments with no critical analysis, and hides behind the fact
>>> that
>>> the site does not accept comments. I can see why, since nearly every
>>> one
>>> of his posts would be refuted by relevant facts. Still, the solution
>>> should be for Thurrot to clean up his reporting, not disallow
>>> comments. "
>>> http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys.mac.advocacy/msg/bde33da9cee4d6a3?dmod
>>> e=source
>>>
>>> "Seems that Mr. Thurrot doesn't understand a lot of stuff: "
>>> http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys.mac.advocacy/msg/4d3cdbea6948ceef?dmod
>>> e=source
>>>
>>> Among many others.
>>>
>>> It seems that Paul Thurott's opinion is worthless and
>>> uninformed...unless he says something positive about an Apple product.
>>> Then he becomes a beacon of truth and righteousness cutting through
>>> the night. And the Maccies wonder why we are so amused by them. 8)
>>>

>> You are apparently unfamiliar with the concept of "statement against
>> interest"...
>

>We sure are. It's the concept you try to invoke every time you attempt to
>weasel out of your previous argument that conflicts with your current
>argument.

You've got to remember that these guys are heavily invested in their
own persecution complexes. So heavily invested that it simply never
even occurs to them that anyone who doesn't share their delusions is
giving an honest opinion.
Paul Thurott is clearly a Windows booster. In a Maccie's paranoid
mind this means that his hatred for Apple burns with the intensity of
1,000 suns. That he doesn't have the same reverent, worshipful
awestruck devotion to Apple that they do only serves to 'prove' this
delusion in their minds. They simply cannot concieve of the notion
that Apple could just be another company, its products just other
devices to anyone. Anyone who make such a statement is just using
'code' in an attempt to disguise his burning hatred for Apple in the
Maccie's view.
That's how we get to asinine things like praising an Apple product is
making a 'statement against interest' for a guy who runs a Windows
oriented website. Its a major breakthrough, you see, becaue a guy
whose hatred of Apple burns with the intensity of 1,000 suns just said
Apple did something right. Never mind the reality that Paul Thurott is
just giving his independent opinion of a product on its own merits as
he sees them, like he always does.
This must surely be a Road To Damascus moment! Since Maccies worship
and follow the dictates of Steve Jobs they assume that Windows people
do the same for prominent people in the Windows world. They see Paul
Thurott's 'conversion' as hope that all will soon bend their knee and
bow their head in the direction of Cupertino five times a day like
they do.
Its all pretty damn amusing. It gets even more amusing when you
realize that they are deadly serious about the whole thing.

ZnU

Jun 12, 2008, 11:57:15 AM6/12/08
In article <mr-4E0520.12...@News.Individual.NET>,
Sandman <m...@sandman.net> wrote:

I think you're nuts, unless you consider 10 years to be the
unforeseeable future.

> The problem with "internet" is that it's shared with an increasing
> amount of users outside the control of the telecom operators. If they
> get a million new customers on their cell network, they build a bigger
> network. If their users depended solely on communications through
> shared networks outside the operators net, the operator can't
> guarantee bandwidth, which is a problem.

Total Internet backbone bandwidth is something like a million times what
it was 20 years ago. The notion that streaming HD video to hundreds of
millions of users will be a problem for the Internet of the future is
silly. Particularly if networks are a bit smarter, and use packet
shaping technology to actually benefit content providers and users
(rather than what some companies seem to want to do at present, which is
use packet shaping to set up protection rackets).

> And you still have the problem with standards. SMS/MMS is fairly
> universal and "every" phone knows how to handle them and what to do
> when the event occurs.

IM protocols and e-mail are pretty widely supported as well.

[snip]

> Right, but then it's still tied to the identity of me as an Apple
> customer, not necessarily my phone number. I bet that could be married
> together somehow, though.

Right. There's no reason you should be dialing arbitrary numbers to
place voice calls, rather than having a single identifier (probably an
e-mail address) which can be used for any type of communication.

> But even so, we're still incompatible with 99.9% of the rest of the
> world for now and for a great number of years ahead if we're supposed
> to wait for the iPhone to be dominant enough for "Apples way" to be
> the "right" way.

Everyone else will start enabling the same kind of thing. And eventually
everyone will get together and agree to do it in a standardized way.

> And that's just a shame. And a pretty huge threshold for young people
> to buy in to the iPhone I think. At least here in scandinavia.
>
> I think it would have been way better for Apple to just support it out
> of the box and then introduce a Better Way<tm> when they were ready
> with the services and such. They did put a substansive amount of
> developer time to get Visual Voicemail to work, which is a new
> cellular driven service. If they were bent on doing it the "apple way"
> they could have had voicemails saved to .mac or something like that.

It's actually a little odd that their new service doesn't offer a way to
check your voicemail from the web. It seems like the kind of integration
Apple would offer.

Steve de Mena

Jun 12, 2008, 1:43:08 PM6/12/08

I'll say it again.

The iPhone has no memory card slot nor user-replaceable battery.

Steve

PC Guy

Jun 12, 2008, 5:54:44 PM6/12/08

"Alan Baker" <alang...@telus.net> wrote in message

What's it like to just throw away facts that you don't like?

SMS

Jun 12, 2008, 6:47:05 PM6/12/08

At one time there was a media reader from Belkin that worked with the
old iPods that had a 1394 interface. This is probably where Oxford is
confused (one of many places where he's confused).

Larry

Jun 12, 2008, 8:59:37 PM6/12/08

> Its all pretty damn amusing. It gets even more amusing when you
> realize that they are deadly serious about the whole thing.

I find it as scary as the dilution of thousands of people that the world
will come to an end December 22, 2012.

Boy are THEY in for a shock....(c;

Remember when Oral Roberts was going to be "recalled" if we didn't send him
$1,000,000 by a certain date?

Carl

Jun 12, 2008, 11:49:47 PM6/12/08
David Moyer wrote:
> "Carl" <crot...@NOSPAMoptonline.net> wrote:
>
>> I believe what you're referring to is its usability with Microsoft
>> EXCHANGE, not synchronization with Outlook. I don't use MS
>> Exchange. My business needs are not that sophisticated. The BB
>> syncs directly with MS Outlook without Exchange.
>
> nah, there are two levels of syncing for PC users... "exchange level"
> which is more for enterprise, then "mobileme" which is for smaller
> firms, families, students, etc. if your still trying to use a PC,
> mobileme is what is going to work with outlook without having an
> exchange server.
>
> http://www.apple.com/mobileme/

I believe I've gathered some more information on mobileme and
synchronization with MS Outlook, my personal requirement for switching from
a BB to an iPhone.

While the info is still murky, from what I gathered mobileme will come at a
cost of $100 for a single-user license. I also believe that this only
licenses the product for your use for one year. If I understood that right,
you'll be needing to pay again after that year. Therefore, while the new
version of the phone looks cheap, you'll be paying about $70/month for phone
and unlimited data service, and another $9/month for mobileme, not that
inexpensive. It seems it also only syncs your calendar and phone book
(besides your photos), but not your notes or task list.

So, a nice gadget, but still not a Blackberry in the respect that a
semi-business user such as myself might want to use such a device, and for
me, at much greater cost.

Steve de Mena

Jun 13, 2008, 12:18:31 AM6/13/08
Carl wrote:
> David Moyer wrote:
>> "Carl" <crot...@NOSPAMoptonline.net> wrote:
>>
>>> I believe what you're referring to is its usability with Microsoft
>>> EXCHANGE, not synchronization with Outlook. I don't use MS
>>> Exchange. My business needs are not that sophisticated. The BB
>>> syncs directly with MS Outlook without Exchange.
>> nah, there are two levels of syncing for PC users... "exchange level"
>> which is more for enterprise, then "mobileme" which is for smaller
>> firms, families, students, etc. if your still trying to use a PC,
>> mobileme is what is going to work with outlook without having an
>> exchange server.
>>
>> http://www.apple.com/mobileme/
>>
> I believe I've gathered some more information on mobileme and
> synchronization with MS Outlook, my personal requirement for switching from
> a BB to an iPhone.
>
> While the info is still murky, from what I gathered mobileme will come at a
> cost of $100 for a single-user license. I also believe that this only
> licenses the product for your use for one year. If I understood that right,
> you'll be needing to pay again after that year. Therefore, while the new
> version of the phone looks cheap, you'll be paying about $70/month for phone
> and unlimited data service, and another $9/month for mobileme, not that
> inexpensive. It seems it also only syncs your calendar and phone book
> (besides your photos), but not your notes or task list.

Do you use Apple Macs? If so, than mobile me adds more value. Web
sites, iDisk storage, etc.

You can buy .Mac/Mobileme subscriptions off if eBay cheaper. I think
I paid in the neighborhood of $55-$65 the last 2 years. Basically
you are just buying a box with an activation code inside, and you go
online and punch in the activation code and you get the full year of
membership.

Steve

David Fritzinger

Jun 13, 2008, 12:36:39 AM6/13/08
In article <7JCdnT23WsCKaMzV...@giganews.com>,

Steve de Mena <st...@stevedemena.com> wrote:

IIRC, Mobileme is going to work for PCs as well. I believe Jobs
mentioned that push email would work through Outlook, and that Windows
machines could use web-based calendars and address books.
[snip]

--
Dave Fritzinger
Honolulu, HI

Steve de Mena

Jun 13, 2008, 1:27:28 AM6/13/08

Yes, I knew about that part but wondered about iDisk, syncing account
settings (which I love) and in particular how the iPhoto ability to
create web sites would translate to Windows.

Steve

Sandman

Jun 13, 2008, 2:04:58 AM6/13/08
In article <znu-A423DC.1...@news.individual.net>, ZnU
<z...@fake.invalid> wrote:

> > Sandman:

> > Television companies here in Sweden have a hard time moving to
> > WAN-distributed TV broadcasts due to bandwidth problems that the
> > digital dedicated net doesn't have. Doing it over the internet is
> > totally unthinkable in the foreseeable future.

> ZnU:

> I think you're nuts, unless you consider 10 years to be the
> unforeseeable future.

It is, if we're talking about having no alternative in the interim, as
with the MMS, which was the topic. If he have to wait, say, two or
three years for the world to see it the Apple way (or the internet way
if you rather have it called that way) then we have no media messaging
for the foreseeable future.

With TV, we have an alternativ (stanadard TV) so the time it takes
technology to catch up isn't that much of a problem.

> > Sandman:

> > The problem with "internet" is that it's shared with an increasing
> > amount of users outside the control of the telecom operators. If
> > they get a million new customers on their cell network, they
> > build a bigger network. If their users depended solely on
> > communications through shared networks outside the operators net,
> > the operator can't guarantee bandwidth, which is a problem.

> ZnU:

> Total Internet backbone bandwidth is something like a million times
> what it was 20 years ago. The notion that streaming HD video to
> hundreds of millions of users will be a problem for the Internet of
> the future is silly. Particularly if networks are a bit smarter,
> and use packet shaping technology to actually benefit content
> providers and users (rather than what some companies seem to want
> to do at present, which is use packet shaping to set up protection
> rackets).

Surely you've heard about the bandwidth problems we're having today
with all the users on the internet surfing to youtube and downloading
pirated movies and such. Bandwidth is a problem, but still - you would
have to have prioritized bandwidth system of some sort in order to be
able to guarantee a service, which is true for voice/video calls as it
is for TV broadcasts.

> > Sandman:

> > And you still have the problem with standards. SMS/MMS is fairly
> > universal and "every" phone knows how to handle them and what to
> > do when the event occurs.

> ZnU:

> IM protocols and e-mail are pretty widely supported as well.

Not in a push context. What sets SMS/MMS apart from those is that my
phone beeps when I get a message.

And you seem to ignore the other problem with IM/email, namely the
logistics behind distributing identifications. With SMS/MMS people
only need to know my phone number, which is already in the phone book
of all the people I am likely to receive short messages from. If it
was up to email, it would have to be push email, in which case I would
have to tell everyone about the email address to which they should
send short messages.

If I am using IM, I would have to be signed in to the service at all
times on my phone, which means that there may be a problem since IM is
a desktop service as well, so you'd have to handle multiple logins.
And you also have the IM address distribution problem there as well.

The entire reason SMS got so popular was because it was so dead simple
to use.

> > Sandman:

> > But even so, we're still incompatible with 99.9% of the rest of
> > the world for now and for a great number of years ahead if we're
> > supposed to wait for the iPhone to be dominant enough for "Apples
> > way" to be the "right" way.

> ZnU:

> Everyone else will start enabling the same kind of thing. And
> eventually everyone will get together and agree to do it in a
> standardized way.

Check back with me in two years, and we'll see how long we've come
with that idea. In the meantime, we won't be able to send or recieve
media messages on our iphones. That's a shame, and a pretty big
threshold for a pretty huge portion of the market.

--
Sandman[.net]

Alan Baker

Jun 13, 2008, 2:21:19 AM6/13/08
In article <Xns9ABBD63945B...@208.49.80.253>,
Larry <no...@home.com> wrote:

Was that supposed to happen?

If I'd known, I'd like to have made a negative "donation". :-)

Alan Baker

Jun 13, 2008, 2:37:33 AM6/13/08
In article <XeOdncFLEJWtBszV...@comcast.com>,
"PC Guy" <pc...@hotmail.com> wrote:

You presented no facts.

I asked for an example. That would involve you providing a quote of my
text and then explaining how it fits your claim.

You provided nothing like that.

ZnU

Jun 13, 2008, 8:38:19 PM6/13/08
In article <mr-B15DB9.08...@News.Individual.NET>,
Sandman <m...@sandman.net> wrote:

> In article <znu-A423DC.1...@news.individual.net>, ZnU
> <z...@fake.invalid> wrote:

[snip]

> Surely you've heard about the bandwidth problems we're having today
> with all the users on the internet surfing to youtube and downloading
> pirated movies and such.

What I've heard is companies *claiming* that such problems exist in
order to justify setting up systems where they get to charge three times
for delivering the same bits.

> Bandwidth is a problem, but still - you would have to have
> prioritized bandwidth system of some sort in order to be able to
> guarantee a service, which is true for voice/video calls as it is for
> TV broadcasts.

Fortunately, this is not likely to be a very difficult problem in the
future. The only real question is whether packet shaping is used to
actually improve things for consumers, or whether it's used to set up
toll roads.

> > > Sandman:
> > > And you still have the problem with standards. SMS/MMS is fairly
> > > universal and "every" phone knows how to handle them and what to
> > > do when the event occurs.
>
> > ZnU:
> > IM protocols and e-mail are pretty widely supported as well.
>
> Not in a push context. What sets SMS/MMS apart from those is that my
> phone beeps when I get a message.

I rather suspect iPhone IM clients will be able to do this. It's already
common on other phones which support IM.

IM and SMS/MMS basically fill the same niche. There's no reason you
should use one on your computer and the other on your phone, now that
phones can connect to real Internet services. Particularly since IM has
features like presence, which is perhaps even more useful on a mobile
device than on the desktop. (I'm actually somewhat baffled that Apple
didn't integrate a system-wide presence system into the iPhone directly.)

> And you seem to ignore the other problem with IM/email, namely the
> logistics behind distributing identifications. With SMS/MMS people
> only need to know my phone number, which is already in the phone book
> of all the people I am likely to receive short messages from. If it
> was up to email, it would have to be push email, in which case I would
> have to tell everyone about the email address to which they should
> send short messages.

More of the people you might want to receive short messages from have
your phone number than your IM screen name, despite the fact that IM is
a service for sending short messages?

Odd.

But yes, in the long run there does have to be some mechanism for
unifying the identities that people have across numerous services. One
could see this eventually growing out of OpenID.

> If I am using IM, I would have to be signed in to the service at all
> times on my phone, which means that there may be a problem since IM is
> a desktop service as well, so you'd have to handle multiple logins.
> And you also have the IM address distribution problem there as well.

There will probably be official clients from the major IM services
(certainly for AIM), so expect this will be a problem solved by the
service providers.

> The entire reason SMS got so popular was because it was so dead simple
> to use.
>
> > > Sandman:
> > > But even so, we're still incompatible with 99.9% of the rest of
> > > the world for now and for a great number of years ahead if we're
> > > supposed to wait for the iPhone to be dominant enough for "Apples
> > > way" to be the "right" way.
>
> > ZnU:
> > Everyone else will start enabling the same kind of thing. And
> > eventually everyone will get together and agree to do it in a
> > standardized way.
>
> Check back with me in two years, and we'll see how long we've come
> with that idea. In the meantime, we won't be able to send or recieve
> media messages on our iphones.

You mean except being able to set e-mail with attachments to any e-mail
address in the world, or upload geo-tagged phones directly to web albums.

Sandman

Jun 14, 2008, 4:53:54 AM6/14/08
In article <znu-A41FB7.2...@news.individual.net>, ZnU
<z...@fake.invalid> wrote:

<snip>

> > Sandman:

> > And you seem to ignore the other problem with IM/email, namely the
> > logistics behind distributing identifications. With SMS/MMS
> > people only need to know my phone number, which is already in the
> > phone book of all the people I am likely to receive short
> > messages from. If it was up to email, it would have to be push
> > email, in which case I would have to tell everyone about the
> > email address to which they should send short messages.

> ZnU:

> More of the people you might want to receive short messages from
> have your phone number than your IM screen name, despite the fact
> that IM is a service for sending short messages?
>
> Odd.

How so? IM is for chatting, SMS is for short messages. You don't do a
conversation with SMS, really. The benefit of SMS over IM is that one
can always expect that the user receives it, but if the user is online
on the IM client doesn't necessarily mean he is sitting by his
computer receiving the message, as opposed to your cell phone and cell
phone number, which generally is carried along with you whereever you
go, especially in the target group we're talking about now.

> But yes, in the long run there does have to be some mechanism for
> unifying the identities that people have across numerous services.
> One could see this eventually growing out of OpenID.

Which I'm sure is possible, but not in the "foreseeable future" in
which time we iPhone users wil be left in the dark :/

> > Sandman:

> > If I am using IM, I would have to be signed in to the service at
> > all times on my phone, which means that there may be a problem
> > since IM is a desktop service as well, so you'd have to handle
> > multiple logins. And you also have the IM address distribution
> > problem there as well.

> ZnU:

> There will probably be official clients from the major IM services
> (certainly for AIM), so expect this will be a problem solved by the
> service providers.

Right, but AIM already allows for multiple logins, but only one that
receives messages. I.e. how does the IM service know what service I am
likely to read new messages in? If I'm at work, and go out to lunch I
shouldn't need to take any extra steps to make sure new messages
arrive on my iPhone instead of in Adium for instance.

Today users will see that I am away on my IM and thus send me an SMS,
which they know I will receive.

> > > ZnU:
> > > Everyone else will start enabling the same kind of thing. And
> > > eventually everyone will get together and agree to do it in a
> > > standardized way.

> > Sandman:

> > Check back with me in two years, and we'll see how long we've come
> > with that idea. In the meantime, we won't be able to send or
> > recieve media messages on our iphones.

> ZnU:

> You mean except being able to set e-mail with attachments to any
> e-mail address in the world, or upload geo-tagged phones directly
> to web albums.

You know exactly what I mean since I've spent about ten posts in a row
talking about it.

--
Sandman[.net]

It is loading more messages.