Sony Vaio notebook won't turn on

Joe Jorgenson

Jun 16, 2006, 5:47:08 AM6/16/06
My brother has a Sony Vaio notebook (it says PCG-682L) on the bottom and it
for no reason it's just stopped powering on.

I tried plugging it into the wall socket with/without the battery, I tried
holding down the power button for a few mintues. Nothing works.

Anyone have any ideas? If this has to be fixed professionally, how much do
you think it would cost?

Thanks.

Roy

Jun 16, 2006, 8:17:52 AM6/16/06

I don't know where you live but in my area( Asia Pacific) I just have
to bring the unit to vendor where I bought it and if its under warranty
they will sort out the problem of your unit free of charge.
In fact if its under warranty they can replace any defective part and
even service it for free!

Quaoar

Jun 16, 2006, 12:05:46 PM6/16/06

See if there is a model number somewhere on the keyboard, perhaps near
the hinges. Most do not know that stock code.

Joe Jorgenson

Jun 16, 2006, 5:09:18 PM6/16/06

Bah, I should have checked there first. Major brainfart.

The model # is PCG-V505DC.

The notebook is a few years old and the warranty has expired.

Thanks.

Quaoar

Jun 16, 2006, 8:07:57 PM6/16/06

OK, first check the output voltage on the AC adapter - it might have
failed or the cable has failed (chair legs on AC adapter cables are
notorious for cutting the conductors). Are there any LEDs active when it
is plugged in? Next in line would be the DC jack on the laptop having
come loose from the mainboard, but you would know this by simply
plugging in the adapter.

Another source is main fuse failure, but that usually needs a short
circuit - any liquid spills?

You might also find additional help on the unofficial Vaio board
(although it is somewhat inactive recently)
http://pub173.ezboard.com/bunofficialsony and on www.notebookforums.com
in the Sony section.

E Brown

Jun 17, 2006, 8:18:47 PM6/17/06

Has the notebook been left unused for an extended period? I would
recommend trying two things: leave it plugged in overnight, then
attempt to boot it, or remove the battery and attempt to boot it. At
the age of that model, I'd suspect the CMOS battery and Sonys of that
vintage are curiously dependent on them.
epbrown
--
"Everybody wants a normal life and a cool car;
most people will settle for the car." Chris Titus

dr.news

Jun 18, 2006, 11:59:20 PM6/18/06
It is not unusual for the Vaio to loose its video to the notebook. If you
are positive it doesn't turn on, then never mind. If you "think" it doesn't
turn on, try an external monitor, and see if it isn't actually working. I
had a video issue with Sony, that they fixed when presented with the
appropriate facts. good luck. dr
--
dr.news //stores.ebay.com/better-price-wireless (not better than you
deserve, just more than you're used to) //free.better-price.biz (for new

"Roy" <royb...@gmail.com> wrote in message