Battery drains in hibernation, WOL and Sleep & Charge disabled

BeadyBeady Bee

Jan 22, 2011, 6:44:13 PM1/22/11
I have a much larger than expected draining of the battery charge when
my Toshiba Satellite A660-047 is hibernated. Both Wakeup on LAN and
Sleep & Charge are disabled.

I tried leaving the battery on the shelf for a week, and the charge
drained from 100% to 98% over a week of hibernation. I suspect that a
part of that 2% drop is energy used in resuming from hibernation. The
drop in charge seems quite small when the battery is outside of the
laptop.

When I leave the battery in the laptop and hibernated it for three
weeks, the charge dropped from 100% to 28% (I wanted to check after
just 1 week, but forgot to). This is a 72% drop in three weeks. It
seems like a large drop, and I believe the laptop is actually drawing
current (since the charge degrades neglegibly when the battery is
removed from the laptop).

What are the typical experiences with this model? I bought it last
fall, but haven't used it much.

BillW50

Jan 23, 2011, 9:57:20 AM1/23/11
In
BeadyBeady Bee typed on Sat, 22 Jan 2011 15:44:13 -0800 (PST):

Oooow! Nice machine! And yes, you are experiencing some sort of battery
drain when there should be none in hibernation. I only have seen this
happen on Celeron processors. So this is all new to me.

Although next time you leave it in hibernating, try removing the battery
for a second and then reinsert. Then check it after a week. As this
tends to stop the drain on Celeron processors.

--
Bill
Gateway M465e ('06 era)

BeadyBeady Bee

Jan 23, 2011, 12:07:01 PM1/23/11
On Jan 23, 9:57 am, "BillW50" <Bill...@aol.kom> wrote:
> Innews:cde146b5-ffdb-4bb9...@v26g2000yqf.googlegroups.com,

Weird. OK, will do. Thanks.

BeadyBeady Bee

Feb 14, 2011, 12:03:15 AM2/14/11
On Jan 23, 9:57 am, "BillW50" <Bill...@aol.kom> wrote:
> Innews:cde146b5-ffdb-4bb9...@v26g2000yqf.googlegroups.com,

Well, I started the test 2 weeks. With a fully charged battery, I
hibernated, pulled out the battery for a second, then reinserted.
Now, two weeks later, it's down to 18%. That's an average of 6.6% a
day (assuming linear decline, which it most probably is not). I guess
I got to find a time to call technical support. :( .

BillW50

Feb 14, 2011, 8:18:44 AM2/14/11
In
BeadyBeady Bee typed on Sun, 13 Feb 2011 21:03:15 -0800 (PST):

Yes it sounds time to me to call too. And thanks for the update. ;-)

--
Bill
Gateway M465e ('06 era)

Centrino Core Duo 1.83G - 2GB - Windows XP SP3

BeadyBeady Bee

Apr 12, 2011, 11:09:24 PM4/12/11
On Feb 14, 9:18 am, "BillW50" <Bill...@aol.kom> wrote:
> Innews:2587f4c3-4ede-4d31...@d2g2000yqn.googlegroups.com,

I finally collected all the data I had on my tests, plotted it, and
saw that the depletion rate follows a straight-ish line from 98% to 0%
in about 17 days. I called Toshiba support. The gentleman said that
the laptop is suppose to draw power in hibernation, and that it would
wake up when the cursor is moved. I am very disturbed by this
confusion. The issue is now being escalated to 2nd level support.

BillW50

Apr 13, 2011, 11:29:41 AM4/13/11
In

Thanks for the update. And I have a couple of new questions. What OS are
you running? As it appears OS like Windows 7 uses a hybrid hibernation.
And that could use battery power. Under XP, it shouldn't use any.

I am still curious if you hibernate, then remove the battery for a few
seconds and then insert the battery once again. Then let it sit this way
and see if the battery still drains. I have a hunch that it will stop
draining, but not 100% sure.

That gentleman at Toshiba got it wrong. Hibernation shouldn't use any
power at all. Although standby does as the RAM is still powered and the
CPU isn't totally off. Laptops can run off of the battery in this state
anywhere between 6 hours to days. It depends on the make and model of
the laptop.

--
Bill

BeadyBeady Bee

Apr 14, 2011, 11:23:11 PM4/14/11
On Apr 13, 11:29 am, "BillW50" <Bill...@aol.kom> wrote:
> Innews:77e11fcb-d567-42fe...@z27g2000prz.googlegroups.com,

I'm running Windows 7. When you say that it appears that it uses a
hybrid hibernation mode, do you mean based on my problem, or based on
a rash of such problems that you have heard about? I haven't been
able to find much about it on the web.

I did pop the battery out for a second or two and reinserted it. I
did this test in February. If I could post an Excel graph (and
tabular data & comments), I would.

About hibernation not using any power at all, how does this square off
about what you said about Windows 7? The terminology used by Windows
7 (and its help) is "hibernation", not some variation of that term.
The help also says that the computer is turned off in hibernation (not
sleeping, not keeping RAM and CPU running). It should draw the same
power as having the laptop in shutdown mode. For all I know, maybe
the same depletion is experienced in shutdown. I don't want to test
that right now, since I'm awaiting a response from Toshiba on what
troubleshooting step to take next. However, I did test what the
depletion was when the battery is out, on the shelf. Only 2% over 7
days (and that might simply be the power expended in bootup).

BeadyBeady Bee

Apr 14, 2011, 11:25:32 PM4/14/11

P.S. I really hope Toshiba doesn't try to sweep this under the rug by
trying to convince me that a its normal for hibernation to deplete a
100% charged battery in 17 days. Not much recourse in that case.