STB Velocity 128 vs STB Velocity 128zx What is the difference?

Gad...@toys.is.me

Jun 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/3/98

Other than the obvious difference in the memory capacity (4 meg vs 8
meg) what are the other differences in the two boards?

Which Drivers should I use? The ones for the Velocity 128 or
something specific the the "zx" version.

I have a Cyrix pr166+ and I have the problem with the 1.8 drivers
causing the Ddhelp problems. (I have both the standard STB 128 and
just purchased the STB 128zx)

And one last thing.... ALF you are doing an excellent job responding
to all the posts that I have read. You show exceptional skill in not
"retaliating" against other less mature individuals that have left
less than adult posts. I salute both you and STB for providing your
customers with this level of support!!!

Thanks
James Lerch
St. Petersburg, FL
Only the innocent need attorneys, the GUILTY can lie for themselves....

Barrett Crowe

Jun 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/3/98

Velocity 128-230MHz RAMDAC supports refresh rates up to 160Hz and
resolutions up to 1600x1200, AGP 1x

Velocity 128ZX-250MHz RAMDAC Supports Refresh Rates Up to 160Hz and
Resolutions Up to 1600x1200, AGP 2X

The drivers for the 128 are backwards compatible with the ZX(or the other
way around)

Barrett

P.S. You've probably heard this before but the Velocity 128 probably wasn't
the best choice for your system. The RIVA chipset is really more at home on
higher end systems. A better choice would be any card with the Rendition
2x00 chipset(or better yet one with the Fujitsu Pinolite chipset combined
with the Rendition 2200 chipset).

-- Remove "spamkills" to reply

Gad...@toys.is.me

Jun 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/3/98

So the main difference besides memory it the ramdac speed. OK..

I also have a P200MMX & motherboard on the way which I hope will help.
I tend to stay about a year behind the bleeding edge tech. Its
cheaper this way and I guess I am a cheap bastard..... :->

Thanks for the quick reply!

Gerry Mon

Jun 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/3/98

Has the TV-OUT been improved on the 128zx?

In article <35786afa...@207.126.101.100>,
kota <ko...@poboxes.nospam.com> wrote:
>Not only is the Ramdac faster, it's also a better quality. I
>immediately noticed a sharper picture when I got the ZX. It was
>running at the same refresh rate too. It's also faster with fullscreen
>AA on than the original Riva 128.
>
>kota

>On Wed, 3 Jun 1998 00:59:41 -0400, "Barrett Crowe"
><spamkill...@mindspring.com> wrote:
>>Velocity 128-230MHz RAMDAC supports refresh rates up to 160Hz and
>>resolutions up to 1600x1200, AGP 1x
>>
>>Velocity 128ZX-250MHz RAMDAC Supports Refresh Rates Up to 160Hz and
>>Resolutions Up to 1600x1200, AGP 2X

>--
>Please remove "nospam" to reply
>AKA "Saliva" on CTF

Gad...@toys.is.me

Jun 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/3/98

TV out wasn't really a consideration when I purchased the card.
however I know that it will only support tv out OR monitor not
both.... I had envisioned that each would have worked at the same
time, but I was Wrong. Not sure if I want to relinquish video output
to solely my TV......... Haven't played with it yet. Also only
supports TV out @ 640*480. Says that if I enable TV out, whenever my
resolution is switched to 640*480 it will switch to tv out and put the
monitor in low power mode.....

Whatever, I purchased it for the 3d support and speed. I also always
root for the under dog equipment. IE Cyrix, AMD, Nvida (actually never
owned an Intel CPU)....

Alf

Jun 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/3/98

Gad...@toys.is.me wrote:

>Other than the obvious difference in the memory capacity (4 meg vs 8
>meg) what are the other differences in the two boards?

The Riva 128 has a 230MHz RAM DAC and the Riva 128ZX has a 250MHz RAM
DAC. This means a little more bandwidth. The ZX supports AGP 2X and
of course, more memory means more resolutions/color depths.

>Which Drivers should I use? The ones for the Velocity 128 or
>something specific the the "zx" version.

The 1.80 drivers are for the ZX. They are also backwards compatible
with the non-ZX.

>I have a Cyrix pr166+ and I have the problem with the 1.8 drivers
>causing the Ddhelp problems. (I have both the standard STB 128 and
>just purchased the STB 128zx)

I'd say use the 1.32 drivers unless you need OpenGL support. In that
case, go with the 1.66 drivers.

>And one last thing.... ALF you are doing an excellent job responding
>to all the posts that I have read. You show exceptional skill in not
>"retaliating" against other less mature individuals that have left
>less than adult posts. I salute both you and STB for providing your
>customers with this level of support!!!

Thanks very much for the compliments! I'll endeavor to keep it up!
:-)

>Thanks
>James Lerch
>St. Petersburg, FL
>Only the innocent need attorneys, the GUILTY can lie for themselves....

Alf
STB Tech Support
[remove the * from the address to contact me via e-mail]
________________
STB Systems Inc.
Web site: http://www.stb.com/
FTP site: ftp.stb.com
BBS: (972) 437-9615

Erik Eckert

Jun 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/4/98

Alf wrote:

> Gad...@toys.is.me wrote:
>
> >Other than the obvious difference in the memory capacity (4 meg vs 8
> >meg) what are the other differences in the two boards?
>
> The Riva 128 has a 230MHz RAM DAC and the Riva 128ZX has a 250MHz RAM
> DAC. This means a little more bandwidth. The ZX supports AGP 2X and
> of course, more memory means more resolutions/color depths.
>
> >Which Drivers should I use? The ones for the Velocity 128 or
> >something specific the the "zx" version.
>
> The 1.80 drivers are for the ZX. They are also backwards compatible
> with the non-ZX.
>
> >I have a Cyrix pr166+ and I have the problem with the 1.8 drivers
> >causing the Ddhelp problems. (I have both the standard STB 128 and
> >just purchased the STB 128zx)
>
> I'd say use the 1.32 drivers unless you need OpenGL support. In that
> case, go with the 1.66 drivers.
>
> >And one last thing.... ALF you are doing an excellent job responding
> >to all the posts that I have read. You show exceptional skill in not
> >"retaliating" against other less mature individuals that have left
> >less than adult posts. I salute both you and STB for providing your
> >customers with this level of support!!!
>
> Thanks very much for the compliments! I'll endeavor to keep it up!
> :-)

I couldn't agree more!!!! Thanks Alf...I also own a 128ZX...I returned that
CRAPPY Viper330 (Bad Drivers) frequent crashes. STB 128ZX work very good,
loads more stable!!!! The Viper would crash frequently when switch back to
desktop resolutions, etc...black screen and lock up as tight as fort knot.
None of this is present with the new STB 128ZX, granted its a week old (to
me) but the viper had a long list of crashes in that time frame. Even after
trying the Nvidia Drivers updating the bios and etc. Junk, Junk, Junk. I
wish I had better things to say about it but I had bad luck with it from the
start.

If your company only knew what you do on this news group for the other STB
user they'd probably give you a raise, heck I would thats just plain good
old customer service...Thanks again!

Alf

Jun 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/5/98

Erik Eckert <eec...@dphase.com> wrote:

>I couldn't agree more!!!! Thanks Alf...I also own a 128ZX...I returned that
>CRAPPY Viper330 (Bad Drivers) frequent crashes. STB 128ZX work very good,
>loads more stable!!!! The Viper would crash frequently when switch back to
>desktop resolutions, etc...black screen and lock up as tight as fort knot.
>None of this is present with the new STB 128ZX, granted its a week old (to
>me) but the viper had a long list of crashes in that time frame. Even after
>trying the Nvidia Drivers updating the bios and etc. Junk, Junk, Junk. I
>wish I had better things to say about it but I had bad luck with it from the
>start.

>If your company only knew what you do on this news group for the other STB
>user they'd probably give you a raise, heck I would thats just plain good
>old customer service...Thanks again!

Wow! Thanks again, very much! Hopefully someone in management is
browsing this group right now. ;-)