Lockheed Martin Real3D

Paul

Aug 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/8/95
I remember reading several days ago from the latest issue of Next Generation
(or maybe it was Wired - they both have the same splashy art design and
super thick covers :) about the 3D graphics accelerator cards from
Lockheed Martin Corp. - the Real3D series. The article only mentioned
the two earliest cards in the *scaleable* family line - the low-end
Real3D/100 and high-end Real3D/1000. The R3D/100 (and I guess the 1000
too) is basically composed of a graphics, a geometry, and a texture
processor, and will support OpenGL and 3D-DDI. The cards will "only
operate with PCI...33Mhz interface."

"LOCKHEED ENTERS GRAPHICS BATTLE WITH ITS *$180* REAL3D PROCESSOR:
LMC has announced a PC-based [PCI-ONLY] 3D graphics accelerator which it
claims can move more polygons per second than any mainstream system
currently available. The accelerator...is said to be able to move 750,000
textured, shaded, depth-buffered, and MIP-mapped polygons per second, more
than Sega's Model 2 arcade board, currently the most powerful board in the
arcades. The Real3D technology is primarily a result of Martin Marietta's
[1/2 of Lockheed-Martin] longstanding relationship with the defense
industry. The firm was involved in NASA research during the '50s and '60s,
and in the '70s and '80s went on to work for the US Defense Department
on a variety of graphically intensive projects. The technology's basics
were then applied to other fields: they helped to make Sega's Model 2
arcade board, with Martin Marietta supplying its texture-mapping chips
and TARGET database generation system.
LMC has invested more than $200 million in computer graphics research
and now owns more than 40 patents in the field, including the 'unique
anti-aliasing architecture' used in Real3D."

Then it goes on to list ALOT of specs of each chip component in the card,
which look REALLY good :-) You gotta see the sample screenshots they
showed (very, very good)! Anyway, LMC has annual sales of ~$23 billion
and employs more than 170,000 people (large company, to say the least).

--Paul

Cornel Huth

Aug 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/8/95
ST...@Jetson.uh.edu (Paul) writes:
>which look REALLY good :-) You gotta see the sample screenshots they
>showed (very, very good)! Anyway, LMC has annual sales of ~$23 billion

Still shots, ey?

>and employs more than 170,000 people (large company, to say the least).

170,000 x $50,000/avg salary+benefits... $8.5 billion. Figure 50%
cost of goods, so 11.5 billion gross profit (wrong!). Figure tax...
Figure... Blip!
--
cor...@crl.com
(FTP) ftp.crl.com /users/co/cornel --- (WWW) ftp://ftp.crl.com/users/co/cornel

Paul

Aug 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/8/95
> >which look REALLY good :-) You gotta see the sample screenshots they
> >showed (very, very good)! Anyway, LMC has annual sales of ~$23 billion
>
> Still shots, ey?

Heh heh, yeah, well the magazine caption said that the cards will be
able to play and render screens such as those shown smoothly...

> >and employs more than 170,000 people (large company, to say the least).
>
> 170,000 x $50,000/avg salary+benefits... $8.5 billion. Figure 50%
> cost of goods, so 11.5 billion gross profit (wrong!). Figure tax...
> Figure... Blip!
> --
> cor...@crl.com

He he - they must be very profitable

--paul

Jason Wagner

Aug 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/12/95

: Lockheed Martin Corp. - the Real3D series. The article only mentioned

: the two earliest cards in the *scaleable* family line - the low-end
: Real3D/100 and high-end Real3D/1000. The R3D/100 (and I guess the 1000

" set GLiNT := better "

Jason

Brian Smith

Aug 13, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/13/95
ja...@primenet.com (Jason Wagner) writes:

>" set GLiNT := better "

Oh? Care to explain? From what I have read (albeit which isn't much)
the Lockheed looked like it had more functionality built into it.

>Jason

- Brian