Matrox Mystique 220 -- 2 MB vs 4 MB, what differences?

Mitchell Spector

Sep 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/2/98
I'm about to purchase a Matrox Mystique 220 video board with
2 MB, but before I do, I like to ask a quick question: How will
it differ from current cards that have 4 MB built-in?

I assume with only 2 MB it won't support higher color depths
and refresh rates in very high resolutions (i.e. 24-bit in 1024x768)
but what other disadvantages can I expect? Right now my main concern
is will it *slow down* at 800x600 in 32-bit color mode? My brother
has a Mystique 220 with 4 MB and I know it is quite usable in 32-bit
depth, but with my current Bravo S3 Trio with 2 MB slows down to a
crawl (I am limited to 800x600 in 16-bit color if I want it to be
usable under Win95, Photoshop, etc).

Another thing, this card is the "Business" retail version.
I assume it'd be the same as the other Mystique, the only
difference being the software packaged with the card, correct?

Mitchell Spector
sp...@vax2.concordia.ca

Andrew Rossmann

Sep 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/3/98
to Mitchell Spector
Mitchell Spector wrote:

> I'm about to purchase a Matrox Mystique 220 video board with
> 2 MB, but before I do, I like to ask a quick question: How will
> it differ from current cards that have 4 MB built-in?
>
> I assume with only 2 MB it won't support higher color depths
> and refresh rates in very high resolutions (i.e. 24-bit in 1024x768)
> but what other disadvantages can I expect? Right now my main concern
> is will it *slow down* at 800x600 in 32-bit color mode? My brother
> has a Mystique 220 with 4 MB and I know it is quite usable in 32-bit
> depth, but with my current Bravo S3 Trio with 2 MB slows down to a
> crawl (I am limited to 800x600 in 16-bit color if I want it to be
> usable under Win95, Photoshop, etc).

There may be a slight slowdown. Most video cards will use unused video
memory as a cache. 800x600x32 uses 1.83M, leaving you very little cache.

At NECX, there is about a US$30 price difference (60vs90), but I would
probably stick with the 4M. The 2M upgrade is $35, plus S&H and tax. If
you ever decide to upgrade your monitor to 17" or bigger, that extra
memory will help with higher resolutions.

> Another thing, this card is the "Business" retail version.
> I assume it'd be the same as the other Mystique, the only
> difference being the software packaged with the card, correct?

The business version comes with photo and art software. The regular
version comes with a bunch of games.

law!!
http://www.ntsource.com/~andyross

Marcin Nowak

Sep 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/9/98
sp...@vax2.concordia.ca (Mitchell Spector) writes:
> I'm about to purchase a Matrox Mystique 220 video board with
> 2 MB, but before I do, I like to ask a quick question: How will
> it differ from current cards that have 4 MB built-in?

2MB is not enough to play 3D games (if it is of any interest to you)

Marcin

Mitchell Spector

Sep 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/9/98
In article Marcin Nowak <mnowak@remove_it.mail.cern.ch> writes...

Actually I believe it may be enough to play 3D games in lower
resolution modes, such as 320x200 or 640x480. Regardless of that,
it will be moot as I will be purchasing a Canopus Pure3D LX board
at the same time. :)

It is slightly disappointing I'll lose out on higher refreshes
and color depths on my 17" display, however it is not a major issue
as I keep my desktop set to 800x600 resolution at 85 Hz (hopefully
in 32-bit color depth if possible). The only worry I have is that
I will have very little video memory left for caching, and I'm not
sure how that will affect the performance of the card.

Mithcell Spector
sp...@vax2.concordia.ca

Don Hickey

Sep 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/9/98
By some thing else. The mystique is not that good on 3d games anyways. I
should know, I was one of the dumb ones that paid $250 when they 1st came
out. The Riva boards are about the same cost and alot better!

Don Hickey