The coerced reviews at PCGR begin ..

Ben Randolph

Jul 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/26/00
Every time I think this guy's ego can't get any bigger, he does something to
make me think otherwise.

Man, I'm a fan of Bioware's games, but if Ray Muzyka "ordered" me to post
favorable reviews of Baldur's Gate I think I'd laugh at him.

-Ben

"ryu-dog" <mar...@sie.net> wrote in message

> The consumer reviews of BC3K on the PCGR review site have been
> less than positive. Enter our erstwhile Supreme Commander, who
> issued this order to his followers on his website:
>
> http://www.3000ad.com/ubb/Forum7/HTML/000744.html
>
> Supreme Cmdr
> Tacops Cmdr
> From:Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, USA
> Registered: Oct 98
> posted 07-25-2000 22:25
>
> "go to the link below and post your honest reviews of your gaming
> experiences with and prevent those bozos from spiking the charts
> with bogus information. Am going to be reading them, so any
> over-the-top reviews from anyone and you're likely to get a spanking.
> And those who don't post? Well, lets just say, I'm know who you are."
>
> Ouch.
>
> Well, it seems that at least some of the Supreme Commander's
> minions know what is good for them, so the reviews at PCGR
> became slightly more positive today.
>
> Here's a taste:

--------

> http://www.pcgr.com/reviews/classic_simulation/product_510.asp?RVNum=-1
>
> "THIS GAME IS AAAAWWWWWWEEESSSSOOMMMMEEEEE!!!
> No game in the existence of all games can match what this one does."
>
> "The sounds are immersive and satisfying. Some have complained that
> there's still more to be desired, they are sub-par, or just plain
> suck. This is not really true. There is no sound in space so they
> should be grateful for hearing things exploding and stuff in space as
> it is."
>
> "its the greatest space sim ever made and the fact that they are still
> adding to it and have so much planned in the new version, one can only
> continually still be amazed and in awe and grateful eternally."
>
> "this game is the greatest ever! i like the last review! We need more
> people to give it good reviews, Parais, go back to www.bc3000ad.com
> and tell them to post here like you did in favor of the game!"
>
> " the graphics rock!!! they are so great that no other game can
> match them in scope."
>
> "the sound is excellent! the bestest everything you could ever want!"

----

> Now, I don't know about you, but if I were a fauning underling in
> the BC3K fleet, I would make -sure- that my review was prompt,
> inflated and pleasing to my sire. It seems that these junior
> commanders got the message loud and clear. An added bonus
> is that their accounts at the Taco Palace will remain secure
> until the Supreme dictates another demand.

Derek Smart

Jul 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/27/00
On Wed, 26 Jul 2000 19:09:07 -0500, "Ben Randolph"
<el...@diespammerdie.com> wrote:

>Every time I think this guy's ego can't get any bigger, he does something to
>make me think otherwise.
>
>Man, I'm a fan of Bioware's games, but if Ray Muzyka "ordered" me to post
>favorable reviews of Baldur's Gate I think I'd laugh at him.
>
>-Ben

You must have the IQ of a gnat, to interprete my post as such.

Derek Smart Ph.D.
Designer/Lead Developer
The Battlecruiser Series
www.3000ad.com

"It's not everyone telling me it can't be done that bothers me.
It's them interrupting me while I'm doing it!"

Jak Crow

Jul 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/27/00
In alt.games.bc3000ad Derek Smart <dsm...@pobox.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Jul 2000 19:09:07 -0500, "Ben Randolph"
> <el...@diespammerdie.com> wrote:

>>Every time I think this guy's ego can't get any bigger, he does something to
>>make me think otherwise.
>>
>>Man, I'm a fan of Bioware's games, but if Ray Muzyka "ordered" me to post
>>favorable reviews of Baldur's Gate I think I'd laugh at him.
>>
>>-Ben

> You must have the IQ of a gnat, to interprete my post as such.

That would still be a higher IQ than you, Mensa Man. Oh, btw,
looks like there's dissention in your ranks.

Allan Parent

Jul 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/27/00
Derek Smart wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Jul 2000 19:09:07 -0500, "Ben Randolph"

> You must have the IQ of a gnat, to interprete my post as such.

You must have the IQ of less than a gnat if you can't even interpret
what "YOU" wrote. You are pathetic.

Allan

Jak Crow

Jul 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/27/00
In alt.games.bc3000ad Jak Crow <bende...@werewolves.org> wrote:
> That would still be a higher IQ than you, Mensa Man. Oh, btw,
> looks like there's dissention in your ranks.
^^^^^^^^^^
excuse, that should be 'dissension', and I just took a look at the
reviews, and there's even more defectors now :)

Allan Parent

Jul 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/27/00

I think derek's heavy handed tactics have backfired on him. I think he
overestimated his influence on intelligent gamers. If the developers of
my favorite game, Combat Mission told me to post a positive review or I
would be banned from their site, I would tell them to get bent. I would
however post a positive review on my own accord. Some people actually
like Bc3k which of course is fine and they should post such. However, DS
essentially forcing his fans to post via phone calls, emails etc. goes
against most gamer's independent nature. If a game is good, people will
sing its praises without any encouragement from the developer.

Allan

Allan Parent

Jul 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/27/00
I just saw this (see below) over at the taco palace. Derek is trying to
put a good spin on things for the sheep. He says that the reviews by
Peter Torken and John Anderson were never registered at the taco palace.
He also said he did an IP search gotten from the review. First of all,
these may not be the real names of these people since they are trying to
keep from getting booted from his site. Secondly, the review does not
list the IP of the reviewers so how was he able to do a search from the
review? Did I miss something or is this just another lie from Mr. Smart?

Message as follows:

Supreme Cmdr
Tacops Cmdr

posted 07-26-2000 23:20

Just ignore them. I like how they're falling over themselves already.
Talk about pulling strings. It never ceases to amaze me just how much
power I wield over my detractors. I mean, who else on this planet can
command such a dedicated bunch who spend every waking moment, coming up
with new and inventive methods of getting my attention and annoying me -
to no avail.

I particularly chuckled at the review from Peter Torken. Never been
registered here. Doesn't even appear in our reg database, not even with
an IP search (taken from the review), yet, he claims he was forced. That
was too funny. Same as John Andersen. Seeing that neither fool is
registered here, I don't see how my post asking real gamers to post
their review, applies to them. Of course it doesn't - itsjust another
pathetic spin that just gets funnier.

And of course, deliquent Louis, posted twice, just in case we missed the
first one.This is too funny. I feel like a puppet master to the
detractors. Or better yet, head Lemming.

Think they're pissed now? Just wait until BCM gets released. Nothing
pisses off a detractor like progress and BC3K v2.0x was just the
beginning. Just wait. If someone doesn't go to jail by the of the year,
it'll be a miracle.

Lemming

Jul 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/27/00
On Thu, 27 Jul 2000 19:27:12 GMT, Allan Parent <all...@flash.net>
wrote:

>Or better yet, head Lemming.

Hey! That's my copyright! And I may be prepared to touch your
nipples, but I am definitely not letting you do that!

Regards,

Derek Sorensen
--
Curiosity *may* have killed Schrodinger's cat.

JackyO

Jul 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/28/00

Allan Parent <all...@flash.net> wrote in message

Absolutely. There are several 'ex' commanders over there posting now, and
the reviews are quite funny to read!

JackyO

Jul 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/28/00
> Allan

I actually got an email from one of his 'commanders' tonight, admitting that
he felt pressure to put a review up 'or else.' He apparently has been aware
of this flamewar over here, and for whatever reason chose to contact me
<maybe cause me email actually works? who knows>.

Needless to say, I told this guy what I thought of Dereks treatment of his
customers and his gamers. No matter HOW good a game someone writes, they
don't have carte blanche at being a nasty human being who treats his
gamers/paying customers/audience like dirt. Yet that is precisely what Derek
does.

I was surprised at some of the things he told me; however, when I asked him
permission to post his email, he said NO, and I will respect that.
Apparently, he still likes the game and needs to resources available to him
over at Dereks site, which is fine.

But it was interesting to note that several of Dereks 'gamers' have defected
and wrote their true opinion of the situation over at PCGR. If some of them
are using aliases, well, if I was going to be banned from a site where I
needed info, I would use an alias as well. Dereks plan has backfired, like
so many other of his plans <paying big $$$$ for a bogus diploma and sending
hard earned money for Martian Metal springs to mind>.

JackyO

Jul 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/28/00
LOL!

Read this one!

Commander Akira from Hawaii on 7/27/00 6:32:46 PM
Hours Played: 500 This review has not been rated
Overall: 1
Gameplay: 1
Graphics: 1
Sound: 1

System:

CPU: P3
RAM: 128
Video: Voodoo3

General/Summary: I say - Screw You Derek. I didn't post this review quickly
enough, so you ban me from the site? What kind of loser are you anyway?

People, this game sucks. There is no other way to describe it. It is a half
working DOS title from 1992. I was working on the forums, and I have been
canned cause my review was too 'slow' in coming.
Gameplay: There is none. Derek basically wrote the game on the backs of
other people, using ideas from other games and shamelessly accusing others
of 'stealing' his ideas.

You basically wander around a big universe, and then your game crashes.

Fun, huh?

Graphics: Quite bad. Circa 1974 they might have been ok, but even then
planets weren't squares.

Sound: All I hear is Derek extorting us.

Allan Parent

Jul 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/28/00

Whoa, I'd say the natives are getting restless :-)

Allan

Walter Mitty

Jul 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/28/00

for anyone casually perusing this thread of mutual ass sniffing, I would
point that no one was serisouly threatened with being banned from the Taco
Palace (can someone explain this one to me), if they didn't post a positive
review. They were however coerced into posting their "supporters" views.

- not defending fraud.

Walter Mitty

Jul 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/28/00

Without a doubt a detractors fake.

You can almost smell the zeal.

This is really hotting up into an unmissable thread:)

"JackyO" <Jack...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Lemming

Jul 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/28/00
On Fri, 28 Jul 2000 10:14:17 +0100, "Walter Mitty"
<nos...@spammers.com> wrote:

>Without a doubt a detractors fake.
>
>You can almost smell the zeal.

But of course it is - have you only just worked that out? I don't
believe there are any genine reviews in there beyond the first
half-dozen or so.

>This is really hotting up into an unmissable thread:)

You think so? I'm finding it rather dull, although some of the humour
in the "reviews" is moderately entertaining. But I'm sure that now
you have brought your quick wit and lightning repartee to bear, it
will become a lot more interesting.

Allan Parent

Jul 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/28/00
Walter Mitty wrote:

> for anyone casually perusing this thread of mutual ass sniffing, I would
> point that no one was serisouly threatened with being banned from the Taco
> Palace (can someone explain this one to me), if they didn't post a positive
> review. They were however coerced into posting their "supporters" views.

Walter, Walter, Walter you really need to be skilled more in the ways of
Derekspeak. Read this again:

"go to the link below and post your honest reviews of your gaming
experiences with and prevent those bozos from spiking the charts
with bogus information. Am going to be reading them, so any
over-the-top reviews from anyone and you're likely to get a spanking.
And those who don't post? Well, lets just say, I'm know who you are."

Let's look at the first sentence. He tells them to go and post their
"honest" reviews. This is akin to going to the GOP or Democratic
convention and asking for an unbiased opinion on the candidates. The
second sentence states he will be "reading them" thus putting pressure
on them to perform. The last sentence implies some sort of consequences
if they did not post banishment?). Notice there was no smilely after the
sentence.

I agree that these reviews were coerced from Derek which in itself is
very unprofessional. As I have said before, good games will generate
good reviews without their developer's interference.

Allan

Allan Parent

Jul 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/28/00
Walter Mitty wrote:

> Without a doubt a detractors fake.
>
> You can almost smell the zeal.
>
> This is really hotting up into an unmissable thread:)

Yep, some of them exhibit zeal from both sides of the issue. However, I
suspect a lot of them are honest opinions. My review is an honest
opinion of the game. I did not get personal and I stand by it.

Allan

The Larch

Jul 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/28/00
"Allan Parent" <all...@flash.net> wrote in message

Or, in the case of BC3K, bad games will generate bad reviews without
their developer's interface.

JackyO

Jul 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/28/00

Walter Mitty <nos...@spammers.com> wrote in message

> for anyone casually perusing this thread of mutual ass sniffing, I would
> point that no one was serisouly threatened with being banned from the Taco
> Palace (can someone explain this one to me), if they didn't post a
positive
> review. They were however coerced into posting their "supporters" views.
>
> - not defending fraud.

According to the email I received, there were instances of personal phone
calls, veiled 'threats', threats of 'spanks', etc etc.

I think perhaps some, maybe all, the 'Derek - you suck' reviews are genuine.
How can we really know?

JackyO

Jul 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/28/00

Wishbone <spam-...@beoutdoors.net> wrote in message

> On Thu, 27 Jul 2000 14:06:55 -0400, Derek Smart <dsm...@pobox.com>
> wrote:
>
> >You must have the IQ of a gnat, to interprete my post as such.
>
> To be honest, your post does read like a threat. There's people
> posting on the review site claiming that you are forcing them to do
> it, but with all the bogus posintings form detractors and supporters)
> there isn't any way to sort this out properly.

At least one of them, according to an email I received, is genuine.

However, since I have no way of knowing the persons real name, and the name
they use on Dereks board, I cant verify which review it is.

Derek Smart

Jul 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/28/00
On Fri, 28 Jul 2000 01:22:49 GMT, "JackyO" <Jack...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>I actually got an email from one of his 'commanders' tonight, admitting that
>he felt pressure to put a review up 'or else.' He apparently has been aware
>of this flamewar over here, and for whatever reason chose to contact me
><maybe cause me email actually works? who knows>.
>
>Needless to say, I told this guy what I thought of Dereks treatment of his
>customers and his gamers. No matter HOW good a game someone writes, they
>don't have carte blanche at being a nasty human being who treats his
>gamers/paying customers/audience like dirt. Yet that is precisely what Derek
>does.
>
>I was surprised at some of the things he told me; however, when I asked him
>permission to post his email, he said NO, and I will respect that.
>Apparently, he still likes the game and needs to resources available to him
>over at Dereks site, which is fine.
>
>But it was interesting to note that several of Dereks 'gamers' have defected
>and wrote their true opinion of the situation over at PCGR. If some of them
>are using aliases, well, if I was going to be banned from a site where I
>needed info, I would use an alias as well. Dereks plan has backfired, like
>so many other of his plans <paying big $$$$ for a bogus diploma and sending
>hard earned money for Martian Metal springs to mind>.

1. this is, yet another of your pathetic attempts at outright lies.
(your typical style)

2. if this person were real, he wouldn't care that you shared his
email. Anyone can claim that someone sent them email and then make up
any story they want. But, then again, truth never was your strong
point and I wouldn't be surprised if you were dishonest in real life
too (cheating on your wife, insider trading, bilking customers etc) -
after all, John O'Neil stockbroker, part-time Usenet wanker, does ring
true.

3. there is *documented* proof those 2 people on their, are using
aliases of people from *my* site in order to promote *exactly* what
you are now doing. Its false.

eg the real Cmdr Akira, does not live in Hawaii. You can see his
reaction, here:

http://www.3000ad.com/ubb/Forum7/HTML/000744.html

4. I matched the IP address of those 2 frauds, against the UBB records
I have (as well as aliases, just to be sure) they never were
registered or even have been, part of that community.

5. Any git with a command of the English language, can clearly
interprete my post above when I asked them to post their honest
reviews in order to prevent you and your friends, from spiking the
charts. And from the last time I checked - the *real* gamers are
winning.

http://www.pcgr.com/reviews/classic_simulation/product_510.asp?RVNum=-1

Derek Sorenson, if you're reading this, please ask for substantiated
evidence since you always claim to be neutral. Remember that jackyo
still has *not* provided that previously requested Take2 sales
figures, he said he had. Nor has Louis provided the scanned image of
that check he claims his mother used to pay for the game he
fraudulently obtained.

Derek Smart

Jul 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/28/00
<nos...@spammers.com> wrote:

>Without a doubt a detractors fake.

But of course!

Allan Parent

Jul 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/28/00
JackyO wrote:
> At least one of them, according to an email I received, is genuine.
>
> However, since I have no way of knowing the persons real name, and the name
> they use on Dereks board, I cant verify which review it is.

Derek says he can sort them out over at the Taco palace by the IP
provided in the review. IIRC the reviews do not list the reviewer's
IP......so once again he is just blowing smoke?

Allan

Jak Crow

Jul 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/28/00
In alt.games.bc3000ad Derek Smart <dsm...@pobox.com> wrote:
> 1. this is, yet another of your pathetic attempts at outright lies.
> (your typical style)

It's really too bad you're not a "smart" man Derek, otherwise you
would comprehend what an asshole you are and how stupid it was to throw
your ego around like you have with PCGR and your user base.

> 2. if this person were real, he wouldn't care that you shared his
> email. Anyone can claim that someone sent them email and then make up
> any story they want. But, then again, truth never was your strong
> point and I wouldn't be surprised if you were dishonest in real life
> too (cheating on your wife, insider trading, bilking customers etc) -
> after all, John O'Neil stockbroker, part-time Usenet wanker, does ring
> true.

Damn Jackyo, you just keep hitting the target with Derek
here. He's really mad now. Btw Derek, you just described yourself to a T
"truth never was your strong, dishonest in real life", though in your
case, it would be "full-time Usenet wanker"

> 3. there is *documented* proof those 2 people on their, are using
> aliases of people from *my* site in order to promote *exactly* what
> you are now doing. Its false.

Even if it was true, you certainly don't have access to those
"documents". PCGR doesn't play along with you Derek.
*snip*

> 4. I matched the IP address of those 2 frauds, against the UBB records
> I have (as well as aliases, just to be sure) they never were
> registered or even have been, part of that community.

That's great, 'cept for the fact you don't have access to PCGR's
server logs and there's no feature on their site to show a commoner like
yourself their IPs, so you're lying AGAIN Derek.

> 5. Any git with a command of the English language, can clearly
> interprete my post above when I asked them to post their honest
> reviews in order to prevent you and your friends, from spiking the
> charts. And from the last time I checked - the *real* gamers are
> winning.

> http://www.pcgr.com/reviews/classic_simulation/product_510.asp?RVNum=-1

A 3 rating is 60%, which if this was a class, would be a D
grade. Also, if Erik at PCGR bothers to go thru the reviews and purge the
bogus reviews, i.e. "15000 hours played" then the game is going to drop to
1, even if bogus bad reviews are purged. Everyone knows that, you know
that, and you can't stand it.

> Derek Sorenson, if you're reading this, please ask for substantiated
> evidence since you always claim to be neutral. Remember that jackyo
> still has *not* provided that previously requested Take2 sales
> figures, he said he had.

Nor have you, we only have your "word" which doesn't mean shit.

> Nor has Louis provided the scanned image of
> that check he claims his mother used to pay for the game he
> fraudulently obtained.

Again, your "word"

Allan Parent

Jul 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/28/00
Derek Smart wrote:

> 4. I matched the IP address of those 2 frauds, against the UBB records
> I have (as well as aliases, just to be sure) they never were
> registered or even have been, part of that community.

How are you matching the IP addresses from the reviews if the reviews do
not list them? More lies Mr. Smart?

Allan

Rico

Jul 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/28/00

"Derek Smart" <dsm...@pobox.com> wrote in message

> 1. this is, yet another of your pathetic attempts at outright lies.
> (your typical style)
>
> 2. if this person were real, he wouldn't care that you shared his
> email. Anyone can claim that someone sent them email and then make up
> any story they want. But, then again, truth never was your strong
> point and I wouldn't be surprised if you were dishonest in real life
> too (cheating on your wife, insider trading, bilking customers etc) -
> after all, John O'Neil stockbroker, part-time Usenet wanker, does ring
> true.

Interesting. I could understand you offering an opinion of his trading
skills like "he's a poor trader," but what facts do you have to support the
assertion that he's doing insider trading? That's a very serious criminal
accusation.

- Rico

Josh Martin

Jul 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/28/00

> On Fri, 28 Jul 2000 10:14:17 +0100, "Walter Mitty"
> <nos...@spammers.com> wrote:
>

> >Without a doubt a detractors fake.
>
> But of course!

Much in the same way the overwhelming favorable reviews are as well!

Josh

Walter Mitty

Jul 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/28/00
I see nothing wrong in asking supporters of his game to air their views in
order to offset the rabid outpourings of self righteous assholes like
yourself.

> On Fri, 28 Jul 2000 10:07:58 +0100, "Walter Mitty" <nos...@spammers.com>
wrote:

> >no one was serisouly threatened with being banned from the Taco
> >Palace (can someone explain this one to me), if they didn't post a
positive
> >review. They were however coerced into posting their "supporters" views.
> >

> Why should -any- coercion take place Walter?
>

> > - not defending fraud.
>
> You just did.

Lemming

Jul 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/29/00
On Fri, 28 Jul 2000 18:59:15 -0400, Derek Smart <dsm...@pobox.com>
wrote:

>On Fri, 28 Jul 2000 01:22:49 GMT, "JackyO" <Jack...@yahoo.com>

>wrote:
>
>>I actually got an email from one of his 'commanders' tonight, admitting that
>>he felt pressure to put a review up 'or else.' He apparently has been aware
>>of this flamewar over here, and for whatever reason chose to contact me
>><maybe cause me email actually works? who knows>.
>>
>>Needless to say, I told this guy what I thought of Dereks treatment of his
>>customers and his gamers. No matter HOW good a game someone writes, they
>>don't have carte blanche at being a nasty human being who treats his
>>gamers/paying customers/audience like dirt. Yet that is precisely what Derek
>>does.
>>
>>I was surprised at some of the things he told me; however, when I asked him
>>permission to post his email, he said NO, and I will respect that.
>>Apparently, he still likes the game and needs to resources available to him
>>over at Dereks site, which is fine.
>>
>>But it was interesting to note that several of Dereks 'gamers' have defected
>>and wrote their true opinion of the situation over at PCGR. If some of them
>>are using aliases, well, if I was going to be banned from a site where I
>>needed info, I would use an alias as well. Dereks plan has backfired, like
>>so many other of his plans <paying big $$$$ for a bogus diploma and sending
>>hard earned money for Martian Metal springs to mind>.
>>

>1. this is, yet another of your pathetic attempts at outright lies.
>(your typical style)
>
>2. if this person were real, he wouldn't care that you shared his
>email. Anyone can claim that someone sent them email and then make up
>any story they want.

If this person was real, he may well object to his private email being
posted. If he was fictitious, then JackyO could write the email
itself and post it here with impunity.

JackyO said he asked the person who sent him the email permission to
post it, and that permission was refused. JackyO, being an honourable
man, therefore did not post it. Of course, JackyO could be lying
about receiving an email - it wouldn't be the first time someone on
this group has lied about that, would it?

>But, then again, truth never was your strong
>point and I wouldn't be surprised if you were dishonest in real life
>too (cheating on your wife, insider trading, bilking customers etc) -
>after all, John O'Neil stockbroker, part-time Usenet wanker, does ring
>true.

This seems a little extreme.

>3. there is *documented* proof those 2 people on their, are using
>aliases of people from *my* site in order to promote *exactly* what
>you are now doing. Its false.
>

>eg the real Cmdr Akira, does not live in Hawaii. You can see his
>reaction, here:
>
>http://www.3000ad.com/ubb/Forum7/HTML/000744.html

It is sad indeed that people feel the need to sink to that level. I
don't recognise the writing style - any idea who it was?

>4. I matched the IP address of those 2 frauds, against the UBB records
>I have (as well as aliases, just to be sure) they never were
>registered or even have been, part of that community.

Ok, as an example, check my posting history - pay particular attention
to IP addresses. See how they change? Most you will find are BT
Internet IPs, which being dialup, change with every connect. You'll
also find IPs from a variety of other ISPs. If one ISP seems to be
slow at a particular time, I'll switch to another, to see if it is any
better. When it is, I stick with it until it lets me down, then move
to another. The point is that saying you can prove that someone is
not someone else by checking their IP address is rather naive.

Are the IP addresses of the reviewer available on the pgcr boards? I
checked and I can't find them (but I didn't spend very long looking).

All pcgr have to say about IP addresses in their Privacy Policy is :-

"Use of IP Address

"We use your IP address to help diagnose problems with our server,
administer our Web site, and improve the information and services
offered."

There is nothing in there about making IP addresses available to third
parties.

>5. Any git with a command of the English language, can clearly
>interprete my post above when I asked them to post their honest
>reviews in order to prevent you and your friends, from spiking the
>charts.

Although your post may have been ill-advised, I can fully understand
why you felt it necessary to make it.

There is a smiley after the word "spanking". Was it there originally,
or did you add it when you edited the message on 25 July? Although I
am not an advocate of smileys, it may make a difference on this
occasion.

>And from the last time I checked - the *real* gamers are
>winning.

Do you really believe there is any way to "win" in this scenario?
Look, anyone passing by and reading those reviews, particularly those
glowing reviews which make reference to the negative reviews, will say
to themselves "Hmm ... something fishy going on here - one to steer
clear of". It's just not winnable.

Anyway, it's clear that pretty well all of the "reviews" posted after
the link to the reviews was posted here are bogus. There are
extremely negative reviews from "detractors", and extremely positive
reviews from "supporters". The only balanced reviews appear to be in
the first half dozen or so which were posted before the "story" broke
here.

It's not fair on you, either, but there is little you, I or anyone
else can do about that, other than ignore it and hope it will go away.

>http://www.pcgr.com/reviews/classic_simulation/product_510.asp?RVNum=-1

>Derek Sorenson, if you're reading this,

Can nobody spell my surname? Just call me Lemming - it's easier.

>please ask for substantiated
>evidence since you always claim to be neutral. Remember that jackyo
>still has *not* provided that previously requested Take2 sales

>figures, he said he had. Nor has Louis provided the scanned image of

>that check he claims his mother used to pay for the game he
>fraudulently obtained.

Sure, we are nipple-buddies after all. And it does seem a reasonable
question.

JackyO - can you provide documentation backing up your statements
regarding BC3K sales figures?

Louis - can you post a link where we can see the scan of the cheque
(check) please?

Derek - could you post a link to a scan of a photo of the piece of
Mars metal you have on your desk?

Lemming

Jul 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/29/00
On Sat, 29 Jul 2000 00:16:38 GMT, l3m...@btinternet.com (Lemming)
wrote:

>There is a smiley after the word "spanking". Was it there originally,
>or did you add it when you edited the message on 25 July? Although I
>am not an advocate of smileys, it may make a difference on this
>occasion.

Scratch the above - the timing is wrong. My bad.

Allan Parent

Jul 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/29/00
Lemming wrote:

> Are the IP addresses of the reviewer available on the pgcr boards? I
> checked and I can't find them (but I didn't spend very long looking).

As far as I can tell they are NOT available so Mr. Smart is once again
full of garbage.

> There is a smiley after the word "spanking". Was it there originally,
> or did you add it when you edited the message on 25 July? Although I
> am not an advocate of smileys, it may make a difference on this
> occasion.

Holy Toledo! That wasn't there before. I was dissecting "derek speak"
for Walter Mitty and even mentioned the fact that there wasn't a smiley
there. So to make himself not appear as an evil dictator he added the
smiley after the fact. Here is my post to Walter:

"Walter, Walter, Walter you really need to be skilled more in the ways
of
Derekspeak. Read this again:

"go to the link below and post your honest reviews of your gaming
experiences with and prevent those bozos from spiking the charts
with bogus information. Am going to be reading them, so any
over-the-top reviews from anyone and you're likely to get a spanking.
And those who don't post? Well, lets just say, I'm know who you are."

Let's look at the first sentence. He tells them to go and post their
"honest" reviews. This is akin to going to the GOP or Democratic
convention and asking for an unbiased opinion on the candidates. The
second sentence states he will be "reading them" thus putting pressure
on them to perform. The last sentence implies some sort of consequences

if they did not post banishment?). Notice there was no smiley after the

Louis J.M

Jul 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/29/00
In article <mj34oskvrd5lk5ner...@4ax.com> , Derek Smart
<dsm...@pobox.com> wrote:

> Nor has Louis provided the scanned image of
> that check he claims his mother used to pay for the game he
> fraudulently obtained.

And if I do? I still haven't gotten it put on a photo cd. But after
reading this.

Expect it in a few days!

.-~~-.____ Louis J.M
/ | ' \
( ) O _
\_/-, ,----' // E-Mail: Loui...@Earthlink.net
==== ___// WWW : Coming Soon!
/ \-'~; /~~~(O)----------------------------------------------------
/ __/~| __/ | "A sense of decency is often a decent man's undoing."
==(______| (_________| - Unknown

Louis J.M

Jul 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/29/00
In article <398213a2...@news.cis.dfn.de> , l3m...@btinternet.com
(Lemming) wrote:

> Sure, we are nipple-buddies after all. And it does seem a reasonable
> question.
>
> JackyO - can you provide documentation backing up your statements
> regarding BC3K sales figures?
>
> Louis - can you post a link where we can see the scan of the cheque
> (check) please?

I might be able to get it put on a PhotoCD tomorrow.

.-~~-.____ Louis J.M
/ | ' \
( ) O _
\_/-, ,----' // E-Mail: Loui...@Earthlink.net
==== ___// WWW : Coming Soon!
/ \-'~; /~~~(O)----------------------------------------------------

/ __/~| __/ | "If you think you know what is going on, you're
==(______| (_________| probably full of !@#$." - Robert Anton WIlson

Eric Harding

Jul 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/29/00
In article <39819FC3...@flash.net>, all...@flash.net wrote:

>Walter Mitty wrote:
>>
>> for anyone casually perusing this thread of mutual ass sniffing, I would
>> point that no one was serisouly threatened with being banned from the Taco

>> Palace (can someone explain this one to me), if they didn't post a positive
>> review. They were however coerced into posting their "supporters" views.
>>

>Walter, Walter, Walter you really need to be skilled more in the ways of
>Derekspeak. Read this again:
>
>"go to the link below and post your honest reviews of your gaming
> experiences with and prevent those bozos from spiking the charts
> with bogus information. Am going to be reading them, so any
> over-the-top reviews from anyone and you're likely to get a spanking.
> And those who don't post? Well, lets just say, I'm know who you are."
>
>Let's look at the first sentence. He tells them to go and post their
>"honest" reviews. This is akin to going to the GOP or Democratic
>convention and asking for an unbiased opinion on the candidates. The
>second sentence states he will be "reading them" thus putting pressure
>on them to perform. The last sentence implies some sort of consequences
>if they did not post banishment?). Notice there was no smilely after the

>sentence.
>
>I agree that these reviews were coerced from Derek which in itself is
>very unprofessional. As I have said before, good games will generate
>good reviews without their developer's interference.
>
>Allan

What really scarey is that they make up names for them selves, and go around
calling each other by their rank, made up names, etc. Haven't seen such a
large collection of no-lifers since the last time I worked a Star Trek
convention.

Eric

Derek Smart

Jul 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/29/00
wrote:

>>3. there is *documented* proof those 2 people on their, are using
>>aliases of people from *my* site in order to promote *exactly* what
>>you are now doing. Its false.
>>
>>eg the real Cmdr Akira, does not live in Hawaii. You can see his
>>reaction, here:
>>
>>http://www.3000ad.com/ubb/Forum7/HTML/000744.html
>
>It is sad indeed that people feel the need to sink to that level. I
>don't recognise the writing style - any idea who it was?

Sadly no. But it looks suspiciously like ryu-dog. But it could be
anybody.

The PCGR folks have a way of tracking the posters via IP and early on
before outright hostilities broke out, explained/showed how. They were
defending the notion that they would weed out bogus reviews. Which,
according to the lastest posts to the thread above, they haven't done.

>Are the IP addresses of the reviewer available on the pgcr boards? I
>checked and I can't find them (but I didn't spend very long looking).

No, but they have them internally. I track them on my board as well as
geographic regions, which is how (apart from the dead giveaways in the
reviews themselves) I know that the person who posted that he was
banned, was lying. I'm not sure if the pcgr IP masking is auto based
on geographic location or not, which would mean that if someone had an
IP located in CA, it would list CA or somesuch. The reason I was
thinking this, is because Louis posted 2 different reviews using Louis
and Louis JM from the same city, Sunrise. Knowing Louis, he probably
didn't know that his second post would call up previous records
(cookies perhaps?), so, he was clean busted (that kid ain't too
bright).

>>5. Any git with a command of the English language, can clearly
>>interprete my post above when I asked them to post their honest
>>reviews in order to prevent you and your friends, from spiking the
>>charts.
>
>Although your post may have been ill-advised, I can fully understand
>why you felt it necessary to make it.
>
>There is a smiley after the word "spanking". Was it there originally,
>or did you add it when you edited the message on 25 July? Although I
>am not an advocate of smileys, it may make a difference on this
>occasion.

No, I didn't at the smiley. I edited the post because the URL was
wrong. I had originally posted the URL to the main pcgr page,
requiring someone to actually navigate screens to find the reviews
page. So, I added it directly.

>>And from the last time I checked - the *real* gamers are
>>winning.
>
>Do you really believe there is any way to "win" in this scenario?

No

>Look, anyone passing by and reading those reviews, particularly those
>glowing reviews which make reference to the negative reviews, will say
>to themselves "Hmm ... something fishy going on here - one to steer
>clear of". It's just not winnable.

Yes, you are right. But, it is better than the detractors fraudulently
spiking the charts. You can read the gamers reviews and see that they
are honest opinions because those same people have been on our site.
They knock the product where/when necessary and praise its strengths
where/when necessary. Nothing fishy going on there. I, won't
personally give the graphics, even the 3Dfx ones, anything higher than
a 2, but, thats just me.

>>Derek Sorenson, if you're reading this,
>
>Can nobody spell my surname? Just call me Lemming - it's easier.

Sorry

>>please ask for substantiated
>>evidence since you always claim to be neutral. Remember that jackyo
>>still has *not* provided that previously requested Take2 sales
>>figures, he said he had. Nor has Louis provided the scanned image of
>>that check he claims his mother used to pay for the game he
>>fraudulently obtained.
>
>Sure, we are nipple-buddies after all. And it does seem a reasonable
>question.
>
>JackyO - can you provide documentation backing up your statements
>regarding BC3K sales figures?
>
>Louis - can you post a link where we can see the scan of the cheque
>(check) please?
>
>Derek - could you post a link to a scan of a photo of the piece of
>Mars metal you have on your desk?

I can do better. Send me your address and I'll snail mail it to you. I
trust you'll send it back. I fear that if I just took a pic of it,
others would shoot it down as a forgery, so, why bother? But, if you
insist, let me know and I'll take a pic of it with my Logitech color
cam and post it on the site.

Louis J.M

Jul 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/30/00
In article <lv16ossvrrpt7r6a4...@4ax.com> , Derek Smart
<dsm...@pobox.com> wrote:

> The reason I was
> thinking this, is because Louis posted 2 different reviews using Louis
> and Louis JM from the same city, Sunrise. Knowing Louis, he probably
> didn't know that his second post would call up previous records
> (cookies perhaps?), so, he was clean busted (that kid ain't too
> bright).

But they didn't. Did they? Two reviews are up from Louis and Louis J.M.
I posted one review. And as for "clean busted", If both IP headers were
the same why didn't PCGR take them down?

Because their not you f-cking idiot.

.-~~-.____ Louis J.M
/ | ' \
( ) O _ E-Mail: Loui...@Earthlink.net
\_/-, ,----' // WWW : Coming Soon!
==== ___// ----------------------------------------------------
/ \-'~; /~~~(O) "I hate a black man who acts like a white man. But
/ __/~| __/ | what's worse is a black man who acts like a white
==(______| (_________| woman." - Louis Farrakahn

JackyO

Jul 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/30/00

Lemming <l3m...@btinternet.com> wrote in message

Correct. Derek Smart, unfortunately, feels completely justified in posting
private emails here whenever he feels like it.

I, on the other hand, feel that people like that are despicable, and I wont
do it.

Needless to say, if I do ever get the permission, I can promise you that the
information is quite entertaining.

If the person didnt exist, I could make up some shit to make Derek look
stupid, but, as I said, the person is real.

> JackyO said he asked the person who sent him the email permission to
> post it, and that permission was refused. JackyO, being an honourable
> man, therefore did not post it. Of course, JackyO could be lying
> about receiving an email - it wouldn't be the first time someone on
> this group has lied about that, would it?

Exactly correct. Of course, Derek likes to post his phony ' I got this email
from a friend' posts all the time.

> >But, then again, truth never was your strong
> >point and I wouldn't be surprised if you were dishonest in real life
> >too (cheating on your wife, insider trading, bilking customers etc) -
> >after all, John O'Neil stockbroker, part-time Usenet wanker, does ring
> >true.
>
> This seems a little extreme.

LOL!

Of course, since Derek Smart is too feeble minded to understand that Traders
dont HAVE customers and are not brokers, he could come to this conclusion.

> >3. there is *documented* proof those 2 people on their, are using
> >aliases of people from *my* site in order to promote *exactly* what
> >you are now doing. Its false.
> >
> >eg the real Cmdr Akira, does not live in Hawaii. You can see his
> >reaction, here:
> >
> >http://www.3000ad.com/ubb/Forum7/HTML/000744.html
>
> It is sad indeed that people feel the need to sink to that level. I
> don't recognise the writing style - any idea who it was?
>
> >4. I matched the IP address of those 2 frauds, against the UBB records
> >I have (as well as aliases, just to be sure) they never were
> >registered or even have been, part of that community.
>
> Ok, as an example, check my posting history - pay particular attention
> to IP addresses. See how they change? Most you will find are BT
> Internet IPs, which being dialup, change with every connect. You'll
> also find IPs from a variety of other ISPs. If one ISP seems to be
> slow at a particular time, I'll switch to another, to see if it is any
> better. When it is, I stick with it until it lets me down, then move
> to another. The point is that saying you can prove that someone is
> not someone else by checking their IP address is rather naive.
>
> Are the IP addresses of the reviewer available on the pgcr boards? I
> checked and I can't find them (but I didn't spend very long looking).

I couldn't find it either, but have sent an email to them expressing grave
concern that they provide IP addresses to 3rd parties.

> There is a smiley after the word "spanking". Was it there originally,
> or did you add it when you edited the message on 25 July? Although I
> am not an advocate of smileys, it may make a difference on this
> occasion.

I do believe he added it later. And if there was nothing wrong with his
original 'intent', as he says, why did he add it?

> >please ask for substantiated
> >evidence since you always claim to be neutral. Remember that jackyo
> >still has *not* provided that previously requested Take2 sales
> >figures, he said he had. Nor has Louis provided the scanned image of
> >that check he claims his mother used to pay for the game he
> >fraudulently obtained.
>
> Sure, we are nipple-buddies after all. And it does seem a reasonable
> question.
>
> JackyO - can you provide documentation backing up your statements
> regarding BC3K sales figures?

Sure

But Derek, seriously - can Derek Smart *EVER* be justified in asking someone
to provide *SUBSTANTIATED* evidence? Here is a man who has made some of the
most bogus claims any of us have ever seen, and has failed to *EVER* back
any of them up with proof. I dont need to list his lies and frauds - you are
well aware of all of them.

Ok, here we go:

1 - to get Take2 Financial Reports from 1996 and beyond, you need to write
to the company, because EDGAR, at
http://www.sec.gov/cgi-bin/srch-edgar?take+two
only has back to 1997. I have the 1996 reports, however.

2 - From 1997, so you *DO NOT* need to take my word about what the 96
reports say <you can go read the 97 report yourself online>

"Net sales increased by $3,440,102, or 79.4%, from $4,330,468 for the six
months
ended April 30, 1996 to $7,770,570 for the six months ended April 30, 1997.
This
growth in net sales was primarily due to the successful release of
Jetfighter
III in November 1996, which sold in excess of 150,000 units worldwide, and
Jetfighter III Campaign Disk and Callahan's Crosstime Saloon released in
April
1997."

This is the 6 month period when BattleCruiser was 'hot' from Oct96 to April
97 <it was released in early fall 96>
Notice - no mention whatsoever of Battlecruiser <the reason why is coming
up - but as a preview, the game had such a high return rate that it was a
poor net revenue producer>.

Recall, though, that Jetfighter, at 150k units, amounted to a revenue of
approx 3million <7.7 million - 4.3 million from above >.

Now, that means, roughly, that T2 got $3 million from 150k units, thus $20
per unit. THIS IS KEY.

Ok, now, next filing - Derek Smart was to be paid out royalties when the
$600k development budget was met. However, as he has often said, he *NEVER*
got any money whatsoever. Why? Because THE GAME SUFFERED SUCH A HIGH RETURN
RATE THAT THE DEVELOPMENT COSTS OF 600K WERE NEVER MET. So, lets figure this
out - if T2 got roughly $20 gross per title sold <and yes, it may have
varied slightly from game to game, but Jetfighter and Bc3K were both priced
roughly the same>, Bc3K must NOT have sold in excess of 30k units *NET* to
fall under the 600k ROYALTY line <30k units multiplied by $20 per unit>.

So, if 100k units sold, at a 70% return rate = ~30k units sold. As I have
said all along.

Thus, the only conclusion that can logically be made is either that *DEREK
SMART IS A LIAR* and the game did in FACT suffer at LEAST a 70% return rate,
or that Take 2 lied to Derek, the SEC, it's shareholders, and everyone else.
Of course, it is possible that, to spare Derek from getting hurt feelings
and destroying their pepsi machine <rumour has it that he had already
totalled the Coke machine, and writing POS space-sims is thirsty work>, no
one told him that the game was being returned by just about everyone who
bought it. Maybe he thought the 15% reviews that the game was getting was a
mistake, and everyone loved the game and decided to keep it. Hey, he seems
*PROUD* of the fact that 100k people were BILKED when they put their trust
in his word to 'keep' the game, that he would have it fixed right away.
After all, it took MONTHS for the game to work properly.

Anyway, the analysis is crystal clear - maybe Derek should go to a *REAL*
school where they teach business and he will learn how to do analysis and
financial breakdowns.

We do have this little interesting tidbit :

"In January 1997, Navarre Corporation filed a lawsuit in the District Court
of
Hennepin County, Minnesota against the Company <t2> alleging that the
Company
breached a distribution agreement by failing to remit monies for product
returns ..."

I wonder what product was being returned in droves that caused this?

LOL!

So, folks, there you have it - Dereks lies laid bare at last, for all to
see.

This should put to rest how many copies of BC3K were returned.

Next month, if I am bored enough, I will find out how many copies of the
Interplay version were sold. A little detective work and some report
reading, and we will be golden.

JackyO

Jul 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/30/00

Rico <Troop...@bugplanet.org> wrote in message

> "Derek Smart" <dsm...@pobox.com> wrote in message

> > 1. this is, yet another of your pathetic attempts at outright lies.
> > (your typical style)
> >
> > 2. if this person were real, he wouldn't care that you shared his
> > email. Anyone can claim that someone sent them email and then make up
> > any story they want. But, then again, truth never was your strong

> > point and I wouldn't be surprised if you were dishonest in real life
> > too (cheating on your wife, insider trading, bilking customers etc) -
> > after all, John O'Neil stockbroker, part-time Usenet wanker, does ring
> > true.
> >

> Interesting. I could understand you offering an opinion of his trading
> skills like "he's a poor trader," but what facts do you have to support
the
> assertion that he's doing insider trading? That's a very serious criminal
> accusation.

It certainly is, and if I was Derek, I would say 'my lawyer will have a
field day with this.'

Either way, this one gets saved. I can easily make the claim, now, that
Derek has 'tarnished' my professional reputation and has cost me the ability
to attract clients from this newsgroup.

JackyO

Jul 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/30/00

Allan Parent <all...@flash.net> wrote in message

what do you think?

Lemming

Jul 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/30/00
On Sat, 29 Jul 2000 12:47:19 -0400, Derek Smart <dsm...@pobox.com>
wrote:

>On Sat, 29 Jul 2000 00:16:38 GMT, l3m...@btinternet.com (Lemming)
>wrote:
>>

>>Derek - could you post a link to a scan of a photo of the piece of
>>Mars metal you have on your desk?
>
>I can do better. Send me your address and I'll snail mail it to you. I
>trust you'll send it back. I fear that if I just took a pic of it,
>others would shoot it down as a forgery, so, why bother? But, if you
>insist, let me know and I'll take a pic of it with my Logitech color
>cam and post it on the site.

A link will be fine - and I understand what you mean about being shot
down - but I suspect that will happen whoever posts the scan.

Lemming

Jul 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/30/00
wrote:

>On Sat, 29 Jul 2000 00:16:38 GMT, l3m...@btinternet.com (Lemming)
>wrote:
>

>>There is a smiley after the word "spanking". Was it there originally,
>>or did you add it when you edited the message on 25 July? Although I
>>am not an advocate of smileys, it may make a difference on this
>>occasion.
>
>No, I didn't at the smiley. I edited the post because the URL was
>wrong. I had originally posted the URL to the main pcgr page,
>requiring someone to actually navigate screens to find the reviews
>page. So, I added it directly.

After I posted, I realised that there was something off about the
timing, so I went back and checked. You edited the post on 25/7,
before the "story" broke here with a posting by ryu-dog on 26/7. That
was why I posted a followup to my own message about the timing being
wrong.

As to the smiley being absent from ryu-dog's post, I suggest anyone
who is interested in this issue (about 0.01% of the population by now)
goes to the thread :-

http://www.3000ad.com/ubb/Forum7/HTML/000744.html

then select the text of the first message in the thread, and copies
and pastes it into notepad to see what happens to the smiley. Those
people who use Agent (as does ryu-dog) should try the same experiment
but using the new message body in Agent.

Louis J.M

Jul 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/30/00
In article <3983da78....@news.cis.dfn.de> , l3m...@btinternet.com
(Lemming) wrote:

> On Sat, 29 Jul 2000 12:47:19 -0400, Derek Smart <dsm...@pobox.com>
> wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 29 Jul 2000 00:16:38 GMT, l3m...@btinternet.com (Lemming)
>>wrote:
>>>

>>>Derek - could you post a link to a scan of a photo of the piece of
>>>Mars metal you have on your desk?
>>
>>I can do better. Send me your address and I'll snail mail it to you. I
>>trust you'll send it back. I fear that if I just took a pic of it,
>>others would shoot it down as a forgery, so, why bother? But, if you
>>insist, let me know and I'll take a pic of it with my Logitech color
>>cam and post it on the site.
>

> A link will be fine - and I understand what you mean about being shot
> down - but I suspect that will happen whoever posts the scan.
>
> Regards,
>
> Derek Sorensen

Hey Lemming. While your at it why not ask him to take a photo of his
legendary Ph.D in Computer Science?

Derek Smart

Jul 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/30/00
On Sun, 30 Jul 2000 07:36:49 GMT, l3m...@btinternet.com (Lemming)
wrote:

>On Sat, 29 Jul 2000 12:47:19 -0400, Derek Smart <dsm...@pobox.com>
>wrote:
>

>>On Sat, 29 Jul 2000 00:16:38 GMT, l3m...@btinternet.com (Lemming)
>>wrote:
>>>

>>>Derek - could you post a link to a scan of a photo of the piece of
>>>Mars metal you have on your desk?
>>
>>I can do better. Send me your address and I'll snail mail it to you. I
>>trust you'll send it back. I fear that if I just took a pic of it,
>>others would shoot it down as a forgery, so, why bother? But, if you
>>insist, let me know and I'll take a pic of it with my Logitech color
>>cam and post it on the site.
>

>A link will be fine - and I understand what you mean about being shot
>down - but I suspect that will happen whoever posts the scan.

I'll do it in a few mins and send you the link

Derek Smart

Jul 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/30/00
On Sun, 30 Jul 2000 07:53:14 GMT, l3m...@btinternet.com (Lemming)
wrote:

>On Sat, 29 Jul 2000 12:47:19 -0400, Derek Smart <dsm...@pobox.com>
>wrote:
>

>>On Sat, 29 Jul 2000 00:16:38 GMT, l3m...@btinternet.com (Lemming)
>>wrote:
>>

>>>There is a smiley after the word "spanking". Was it there originally,
>>>or did you add it when you edited the message on 25 July? Although I
>>>am not an advocate of smileys, it may make a difference on this
>>>occasion.
>>
>>No, I didn't at the smiley. I edited the post because the URL was
>>wrong. I had originally posted the URL to the main pcgr page,
>>requiring someone to actually navigate screens to find the reviews
>>page. So, I added it directly.
>

>After I posted, I realised that there was something off about the
>timing, so I went back and checked. You edited the post on 25/7,
>before the "story" broke here with a posting by ryu-dog on 26/7. That
>was why I posted a followup to my own message about the timing being
>wrong.

Yes, I saw your followup

>As to the smiley being absent from ryu-dog's post, I suggest anyone
>who is interested in this issue (about 0.01% of the population by now)
>goes to the thread :-
>
> http://www.3000ad.com/ubb/Forum7/HTML/000744.html
>
>then select the text of the first message in the thread, and copies
>and pastes it into notepad to see what happens to the smiley. Those
>people who use Agent (as does ryu-dog) should try the same experiment
>but using the new message body in Agent.

The smiley is absent in a cut 'n paste job because its a graphics icon

Allan Parent

Jul 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/30/00
Derek Smart wrote:

> On Sun, 30 Jul 2000 07:36:49 GMT, l3m...@btinternet.com (Lemming)
> wrote:
>
> >On Sat, 29 Jul 2000 12:47:19 -0400, Derek Smart <dsm...@pobox.com>
> >wrote:

> >>I can do better. Send me your address and I'll snail mail it to you. I
> >>trust you'll send it back. I fear that if I just took a pic of it,
> >>others would shoot it down as a forgery, so, why bother? But, if you
> >>insist, let me know and I'll take a pic of it with my Logitech color
> >>cam and post it on the site.
> >
> >A link will be fine - and I understand what you mean about being shot
> >down - but I suspect that will happen whoever posts the scan.
>
> I'll do it in a few mins and send you the link

Not to re-hash this Martian metal stuff again...but

1) No man made vehicle has every returned a sample of Mars to Earth.

2) Mars is not a "metallic" planet any more than Earth is.

3) True samples from Mars are VERY rare and valuable, not to be given
away.

4)given the above truths, and if the sample is truly extra terrestrial,
it is most likely a meteorite.

Allan

Ron S.

Jul 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/30/00

JackyO <Jack...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

I can't see any clear way of refuting this, so I think that Derek does owe
you a big apology. We will see how fair minded he really is, I guess.

I kind of thought maybe there were lot's of returns, but your post is the
first clear proof we have had of this.

Nice job, that should satisfy just about everyone on the 'score' about
battlecruiser's sales.

Allan Parent

Jul 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/30/00

Sorry, stupid question.

Allan

JackyO

Jul 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/30/00

Allan Parent <all...@flash.net> wrote in message

heh heh, no problem.

Rico

Jul 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/30/00

"Ron S." <Ro...@HotmailNOREPLY.com> wrote in message

> I can't see any clear way of refuting this, so I think that Derek does owe
> you a big apology. We will see how fair minded he really is, I guess.
>
> I kind of thought maybe there were lot's of returns, but your post is the
> first clear proof we have had of this.
>
> Nice job, that should satisfy just about everyone on the 'score' about
> battlecruiser's sales.

Actually, I fully expect a reply from Derek to say "Any fool can see that is
a totally *incorrect* and *wrong* analysis! After all, I have the real
numbers right *here* in front of me, and I *know* he's *wrong*."

Then there will be silence on this issue for a couple weeks, at which point
Derek will go back to saying "There's never been *any* proof offered by that
*jackass* JackyO on this matter."

It's his M.O. as seen in the past with the degree mill diploma e-mail to
revved, and the incorrect message length of the Trainman50 message
(indicating it was altered).

- Rico

JackyO

Jul 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/30/00

> "Ron S." <Ro...@HotmailNOREPLY.com> wrote in message
> >
> > I can't see any clear way of refuting this, so I think that Derek does
owe
> > you a big apology. We will see how fair minded he really is, I guess.
> >
> > I kind of thought maybe there were lot's of returns, but your post is
the
> > first clear proof we have had of this.
> >
> > Nice job, that should satisfy just about everyone on the 'score' about
> > battlecruiser's sales.
> >

> Actually, I fully expect a reply from Derek to say "Any fool can see that
is
> a totally *incorrect* and *wrong* analysis! After all, I have the real
> numbers right *here* in front of me, and I *know* he's *wrong*."
>
> Then there will be silence on this issue for a couple weeks, at which
point
> Derek will go back to saying "There's never been *any* proof offered by
that
> *jackass* JackyO on this matter."
>
> It's his M.O. as seen in the past with the degree mill diploma e-mail to
> revved, and the incorrect message length of the Trainman50 message
> (indicating it was altered).
>
> - Rico

LOL!

Unfortunately, anyone can do it themselves, 30 ways to sunday, and it will
always come out the same.

The numbers dont lie

The Larch

Jul 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/31/00

> Rico <Troop...@bugplanet.org> wrote in message
> >
> > "Derek Smart" <dsm...@pobox.com> wrote in message
> > > 1. this is, yet another of your pathetic attempts at outright
lies.
> > > (your typical style)
> > >
> > > 2. if this person were real, he wouldn't care that you shared his
> > > email. Anyone can claim that someone sent them email and then make
up
> > > any story they want. But, then again, truth never was your strong

> > > point and I wouldn't be surprised if you were dishonest in real
life
> > > too (cheating on your wife, insider trading, bilking customers
etc) -
> > > after all, John O'Neil stockbroker, part-time Usenet wanker, does
ring
> > > true.
> > >

> > Interesting. I could understand you offering an opinion of his
trading
> > skills like "he's a poor trader," but what facts do you have to
support
> the
> > assertion that he's doing insider trading? That's a very serious
criminal
> > accusation.
>

> It certainly is, and if I was Derek, I would say 'my lawyer will have
> field day with this.'
>
> Either way, this one gets saved. I can easily make the claim, now,
that
> Derek has 'tarnished' my professional reputation and has cost me the
ability
> to attract clients from this newsgroup.

Heheh, I thought traders didn't have clients...

Kidding!

The Larch

Jul 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/31/00
"Eric Harding" <ewhard...@home.net> wrote in message

Can a gigolo make good money at a Trekkie convention?

The Larch

Jul 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/31/00

<nos...@spammers.com> wrote:

> >I see nothing wrong in asking supporters of his game to air their
views in
> >order to offset the rabid outpourings of self righteous assholes
like
> >yourself.
> >

> Ask?

> "And those who don't post? Well, lets just say, I'm know who you are."
> It sounds like a threat to me, Titty.

Don't mind Wally, he don't think too good.

Derek Smart

Jul 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/31/00
On Sun, 30 Jul 2000 09:11:22 -0400, Derek Smart <dsm...@pobox.com>
wrote:

>On Sun, 30 Jul 2000 07:36:49 GMT, l3m...@btinternet.com (Lemming)
>wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 29 Jul 2000 12:47:19 -0400, Derek Smart <dsm...@pobox.com>
>>wrote:

>>>I can do better. Send me your address and I'll snail mail it to you. I
>>>trust you'll send it back. I fear that if I just took a pic of it,
>>>others would shoot it down as a forgery, so, why bother? But, if you
>>>insist, let me know and I'll take a pic of it with my Logitech color
>>>cam and post it on the site.
>>

>>A link will be fine - and I understand what you mean about being shot
>>down - but I suspect that will happen whoever posts the scan.
>
>I'll do it in a few mins and send you the link

Below are the pics of the space rock sent to me by Final Frontier mag
a few years back. IIRC, they said it was from Mars. Its a piece of
silver metal. If they had said outer space 'rock', I would've thought
- meteorite.

There you have it, draw your own conclusions.

www.3000ad.com/temp/et_pic1.jpg (200K)

www.3000ad.com/temp/et_pic2.jpg (178K)

www.3000ad.com/temp/et_pic3.jpg (213K)

Lemming

Jul 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/31/00
On Mon, 31 Jul 2000 10:34:31 -0400, Derek Smart <dsm...@pobox.com>
wrote:

>Below are the pics of the space rock sent to me by Final Frontier mag

>a few years back. IIRC, they said it was from Mars. Its a piece of
>silver metal. If they had said outer space 'rock', I would've thought
>- meteorite.

Well, whether it's a meteorite or a pice of Mars (or both), I wish I
had one.

But: you could have at least smiled for the camera ...

Lemming

Jul 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/31/00
On Mon, 31 Jul 2000 14:07:16 GMT, "The Larch" <what's....@all.for>
wrote:

I don't believe there was anything wrong with DS asking the members of
his board to post reviews to counter what were plainly false reviews
(not all were false). I do think some of his board members may have
been over-zealous in their praise, and also some may have percieved
DS's posting as a threat, where none was intended.

I believe that the smiley was present in the original thread, and it
was missed here due to cutting and pasting. The timing of the edit is
wrong for it to have been added after Allan and ryu-dog's posts about
the thread - which appeared the day after, even allowing for timezone
differences.

(Aside: Walter, coercing someone isn't the same as asking them. To
coerce someone is to compel them to do something, it's a lot more than
just a request.)

foamy

Jul 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/31/00
In article <3985b5e3...@news.cis.dfn.de>,

l3m...@btinternet.com (Lemming) wrote:

>>Below are the pics of the space rock sent to me by Final Frontier mag
>>a few years back. IIRC, they said it was from Mars. Its a piece of
>>silver metal. If they had said outer space 'rock', I would've thought
>>- meteorite.
>
>Well, whether it's a meteorite or a pice of Mars (or both), I wish I
>had one.

I swear to God I've entered the Twilight Zone. What do you think, FF
magazine sent up a landing craft to collect samples of Mars to give
to Smart ? There are a total of 15 Mars meteorites discovered to date.

Go here if you want to see what a real one looks like:

http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/snc/

Sheesh.

Jim

Me

Jul 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/31/00
In alt.games.bc3000ad Derek Smart <dsm...@pobox.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Jul 2000 09:11:22 -0400, Derek Smart <dsm...@pobox.com>
> wrote:
> Below are the pics of the space rock sent to me by Final Frontier mag
> a few years back. IIRC, they said it was from Mars. Its a piece of
> silver metal. If they had said outer space 'rock', I would've thought
> - meteorite.

> There you have it, draw your own conclusions.

> www.3000ad.com/temp/et_pic1.jpg (200K)

> www.3000ad.com/temp/et_pic2.jpg (178K)

> www.3000ad.com/temp/et_pic3.jpg (213K)

Derek looks bitter...Oh! and the images of the rock are so blurry
they could be anything.

mark edward hardwidge

Jul 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/31/00
In comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic Me <jen...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Derek looks bitter...Oh! and the images of the rock are so blurry
> they could be anything.

Is that Derek in the picture? I'm confused, I saw some other
pictures that were supposedly him, and the person in that picture
likes -very- different than the one in these pictures.

--
Mark E. Hardwidge
hard...@uiuc.edu

DAKTARI!

Jul 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/31/00

> On Mon, 31 Jul 2000 10:34:31 -0400, Derek Smart <dsm...@pobox.com>

> wrote:
>
> >Below are the pics of the space rock sent to me by Final Frontier mag
> >a few years back. IIRC, they said it was from Mars. Its a piece of
> >silver metal. If they had said outer space 'rock', I would've thought
> >- meteorite.
>
> Well, whether it's a meteorite or a pice of Mars (or both), I wish I
> had one.
>
> But: you could have at least smiled for the camera ...
>
> Regards,
>
> Derek Sorensen

Last year a family brought to an appraiser several plastic containers of
what they believed to be moon dust, brought back from one of the Apollo
missions. These small samples originally were presented to their father by
a higher up at NASA. The appraiser called NASA to confirm that the small
samples were moon dust. NASA agreed, confiscated the samples, and thanked
them for taking such good care of something that goes for about 1.2 billion
a pound. As usual in the states, lawsuits have been filed...

So looking at the samples held up by Derek Smart, Lead designer of the
Battlecuriser series, as pieces of Mars, where no human vehicle has ever
returned from, I think that they are more likely terrestrial in nature.
Further more the very idea that such a sample would have been given away for
subscribing to an adolescent science magazine is absurd.

On that note, I wish I was back in the Blackfriars again...
--
DAKTARI!
daktari<at>england<dot>com

Allan Parent

Jul 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/31/00
foamy wrote:
> I swear to God I've entered the Twilight Zone. What do you think, FF
> magazine sent up a landing craft to collect samples of Mars to give
> to Smart ? There are a total of 15 Mars meteorites discovered to date.
>
> Go here if you want to see what a real one looks like:
>
> http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/snc/
>
> Sheesh.
>
> Jim

Nice link Jim. Smart's sample is not a piece of Mars for several
reasons.

1) As you stated before, only 15 samples of the Mars exist on Earth
today making them very valuable and rare. I doubt FF magazine would be
just giving them away.

2) Smart's pictures are really bad but in the last one, the sample is
far too shiny, almost polished looking. As you can see from the NASA
link, meteorites have a very oxidized look to them due to the extreme
heat they endure during entry to our atmosphere. After seeing the
sample, I am beginning to doubt it is even a meteorite.

Allan

Derek Smart

Jul 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/31/00
On Mon, 31 Jul 2000 17:24:48 GMT, l3m...@btinternet.com (Lemming)
wrote:

>On Mon, 31 Jul 2000 10:34:31 -0400, Derek Smart <dsm...@pobox.com>

>wrote:
>
>>Below are the pics of the space rock sent to me by Final Frontier mag
>>a few years back. IIRC, they said it was from Mars. Its a piece of
>>silver metal. If they had said outer space 'rock', I would've thought
>>- meteorite.
>
>Well, whether it's a meteorite or a pice of Mars (or both), I wish I
>had one.

heh

>But: you could have at least smiled for the camera ...

Well, considering that I had to take a break from work to go on that
particularly pointless stint, what was there to smile about?

Derek Smart

Jul 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/31/00
On 31 Jul 2000 18:37:19 GMT, Me <jen...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>In alt.games.bc3000ad Derek Smart <dsm...@pobox.com> wrote:

>> On Sun, 30 Jul 2000 09:11:22 -0400, Derek Smart <dsm...@pobox.com>

>> wrote:
>> Below are the pics of the space rock sent to me by Final Frontier mag
>> a few years back. IIRC, they said it was from Mars. Its a piece of
>> silver metal. If they had said outer space 'rock', I would've thought
>> - meteorite.
>

>> There you have it, draw your own conclusions.
>
>> www.3000ad.com/temp/et_pic1.jpg (200K)
>
>> www.3000ad.com/temp/et_pic2.jpg (178K)
>
>> www.3000ad.com/temp/et_pic3.jpg (213K)
>

> Derek looks bitter...Oh! and the images of the rock are so blurry
>they could be anything.

Well, the phone number for Final Frontier is 800-447-7387 and their
address from my last issue (dunno if they are still around), is

Final Frontier
1017 South Mountain Avenue
Monrovia, CA 91016-3642

From this issue am looking at, Space Collectibles Merchandise is
at ffp...@ateg.com or 800-24-LUNAR. Dunno if thats who they got the
rock from.

Derek Smart

Jul 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/31/00
On Mon, 31 Jul 2000 18:56:43 GMT, mark edward hardwidge
<hard...@ux11.cso.uiuc.edu> wrote:

>In comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic Me <jen...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>> Derek looks bitter...Oh! and the images of the rock are so blurry
>> they could be anything.
>

> Is that Derek in the picture? I'm confused, I saw some other
>pictures that were supposedly him, and the person in that picture
>likes -very- different than the one in these pictures.

Whats different about it?

Allan Parent

Jul 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/31/00
Derek Smart wrote:

> >But: you could have at least smiled for the camera ...
>
> Well, considering that I had to take a break from work to go on that
> particularly pointless stint, what was there to smile about?

As opposed to taking a break from work to continuously post lies and
insults on USENET?

Allan

DAKTARI!

Jul 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/31/00

Allan Parent <all...@flash.net> wrote in message

He really did go overboard in the last few days. I found this at Planetcrap
(an alarming name within itself)...

""It seems that Derek cannot correctly represent our conversation or the
facts. Eric clearly articulated what our position is and I fully support his
actions. Derek has repeatedly tried to threaten us with a lawsuit and
intimidation based on his "influence in the industry" in order to have Eric
fired. Unfortunately for Derek, he is dealing with a company that believes
in free speech and supports its staff.

So what happens from here? Nothing. Derek and his product don't deserve the
amount of attention we are currently giving it.

Max Mancini
President & CEO
ConsumerREVIEW.com""

I have been led to understand that Consumer Review carries so weight within
the software industry...

Todd Alan Yarbrough

Jul 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/31/00
Ah, but on his webforum, to dissent or disagree with the "Supreme Commander"
to is be banned. Therefore, if you want to keep your posting privileges,
you'd best do as he asks. It follows, then, that if the "Supreme Commander"
asks you to do something, it's actually a command.
And for what it's worth, I read the notice on the BC3K forum the first day
it was posted. I don't recall seeing a smiley, but there was one later on.
But then, I've been labled a "detractor", so take that as you may.

"Lemming" <l3m...@btinternet.com> wrote in message

-SNIP-

mark edward hardwidge

Jul 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/31/00
In comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic Derek Smart <dsm...@pobox.com> wrote:
>> Is that Derek in the picture? I'm confused, I saw some other
>>pictures that were supposedly him, and the person in that picture
>>likes -very- different than the one in these pictures.

> Whats different about it?

The most notable difference is that the previous picture
depicted someone I would describe as a quite dark skinned black man.
These pictures do not depict someone I would describe as "a quite dark
skinned black man".

Chester Marshall Jr

Jul 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/31/00
ryu-dog <mar...@sie.net> wrote in message news:0clbos4nkgmoq2j6o...@4ax.com...

> On Mon, 31 Jul 2000 10:34:31 -0400, Derek Smart <dsm...@pobox.com> wrote:
>
> >Below are the pics of the space rock sent to me by Final Frontier mag
> >a few years back.
> >
> > www.3000ad.com/temp/et_pic1.jpg (200K)
> > www.3000ad.com/temp/et_pic2.jpg (178K)
>
> Folks, it just doesn't get any better than this.

here- look at this. It is proof

http://homestead.deja.com/user.chesterthepilot/files/spacerock.gif

Lemming

Jul 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/31/00
On Mon, 31 Jul 2000 14:16:35 -0500, ryu-dog <mar...@sie.net> wrote:

>On Mon, 31 Jul 2000 18:02:10 GMT, l3m...@btinternet.com (Lemming) wrote:
>
>>I don't believe there was anything wrong with DS asking the members of
>>his board to post reviews to counter what were plainly false reviews
>>(not all were false). I do think some of his board members may have
>>been over-zealous in their praise, and also some may have percieved
>>DS's posting as a threat, where none was intended.
>

>So, you _know_ there was no threat implied?
>How? Be specific.

No, I don't know. I didn't say I knew - or at least I didn't mean to
say that. I said I _believed_ there was no threat implied. As I said
in the part of the post which you snipped, I believe that to be the
case, because I believe the smiley, which is present now, to have also
been in place in the original posting. This is evidenced by the fact
that the date the post was edited clearly predates the postings which
followed here. However, this is just what I believe to be the case.
Others clearly believe differently.

This belief does not mean that I accuse Allan or JackyO of lying - I
do not doubt that Allan believes there to have been no smiley in the
original post, nor that JackyO received an email from someone claiming
to be a suddenly ex-BC3K supporter. I do not believe either of those
two individuals would deliberately commit such an untruth for such a
petty cause as pissing off DS.

Lemming

Jul 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/31/00
On Mon, 31 Jul 2000 15:14:25 -0400, Derek Smart <dsm...@pobox.com>
wrote:

>Well, considering that I had to take a break from work to go on that

>particularly pointless stint, what was there to smile about?

Yeah, I know, I know.

Chester Marshall Jr

Jul 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/31/00
ryu-dog <mar...@sie.net> wrote in message news:kvmbos8r15th5pebt...@4ax.com...
> LOLOLOL!!!

You think thats so funny huh? Its ok for you to laugh at the misfortune of others huh? Here is more proof for you about thos
moonrocks buddyboy...

http://homestead.deja.com/user.chesterthepilot/files/jo.gif

Allan Parent

Jul 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/31/00
Chester Marshall Jr wrote:
> > Folks, it just doesn't get any better than this.
>
> here- look at this. It is proof
>
> http://homestead.deja.com/user.chesterthepilot/files/spacerock.gif

LOL!

Lemming

Jul 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/31/00
On Mon, 31 Jul 2000 12:59:43 -0700, "Chester Marshall Jr"
<cheste...@aol.com> wrote:

>ryu-dog <mar...@sie.net> wrote in message news:0clbos4nkgmoq2j6o...@4ax.com...
>> On Mon, 31 Jul 2000 10:34:31 -0400, Derek Smart <dsm...@pobox.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Below are the pics of the space rock sent to me by Final Frontier mag
>> >a few years back.
>> >
>> > www.3000ad.com/temp/et_pic1.jpg (200K)
>> > www.3000ad.com/temp/et_pic2.jpg (178K)
>>

>> Folks, it just doesn't get any better than this.
>
>here- look at this. It is proof
>
>http://homestead.deja.com/user.chesterthepilot/files/spacerock.gif

Methinks Chester is about to reveal his true identity.

Allan Parent

Jul 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/31/00
Lemming wrote:
> This belief does not mean that I accuse Allan or JackyO of lying - I
> do not doubt that Allan believes there to have been no smiley in the
> original post, nor that JackyO received an email from someone claiming
> to be a suddenly ex-BC3K supporter. I do not believe either of those
> two individuals would deliberately commit such an untruth for such a
> petty cause as pissing off DS.

Maybe it is old age or blindness but I swear that smelly wasn't there
the day I explained the passage to Walter. I even mentioned the lack of
one. Go figure..

Allan

Timski

Jul 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/31/00
=?===== On Mon, 31 Jul 2000 18:02:10 GMT
=+===== Lemming posted:

>I don't believe there was anything wrong with DS asking the members of
>his board to post reviews to counter what were plainly false reviews
>(not all were false).

False, as in false pretences? Possibly, but impossible to prove.
False, as in incorrect? By definition, not possible unless the person
submitting the review is not actually submitting their views, or is
using someone else's name.

I suspect a number are biased. Few are objective. And some are not
actually reviewing the *game* stated at the top of the page.

But then, can we really expect the ongoing comedy that is _the_ flame
war to behave any better when it goes on holiday to someone else's
website? I just feel sorry for Eric, the hotel manager, who has to put
up with this week's rowdy intake of vistors. Bet he's hiding under the
reception desk now, just hoping they'll all go home again.

>I do think some of his board members may have
>been over-zealous in their praise, and also some may have percieved
>DS's posting as a threat, where none was intended.

I read that *threat* as irony when I went over there to see what all
the fuss was about. But then not everyone understands irony. Eh?

>I believe that the smiley was present in the original thread, and it
>was missed here due to cutting and pasting.

Trivial, but - big grin not smiley?

=:===== Tim
=*===== http://www.3t.nildram.co.uk/
=!===== ====== ===== ==== === == = = = = =

Allan Parent

Jul 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/31/00
"DAKTARI!" wrote:

> Allan Parent <all...@flash.net> wrote in message

> > > Well, considering that I had to take a break from work to go on that
> > > particularly pointless stint, what was there to smile about?
> > >

> > As opposed to taking a break from work to continuously post lies and
> > insults on USENET?
> >

> He really did go overboard in the last few days. I found this at Planetcrap
> (an alarming name within itself)...
>
> ""It seems that Derek cannot correctly represent our conversation or the
> facts. Eric clearly articulated what our position is and I fully support his
> actions. Derek has repeatedly tried to threaten us with a lawsuit and
> intimidation based on his "influence in the industry" in order to have Eric
> fired. Unfortunately for Derek, he is dealing with a company that believes
> in free speech and supports its staff.
>
> So what happens from here? Nothing. Derek and his product don't deserve the
> amount of attention we are currently giving it.
>
> Max Mancini
> President & CEO
> ConsumerREVIEW.com""
>
> I have been led to understand that Consumer Review carries so weight within
> the software industry...
> --

Too funny. So outside of the Taco palace Mr. Smart carries no weight in
the industry...suprise!

Allan

Chester Marshall Jr

Jul 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/31/00
Lemming <l3m...@btinternet.com> wrote in message news:3985e251...@news.cis.dfn.de...

> On Mon, 31 Jul 2000 12:59:43 -0700, "Chester Marshall Jr"
> <cheste...@aol.com> wrote:
>
> >ryu-dog <mar...@sie.net> wrote in message news:0clbos4nkgmoq2j6o...@4ax.com...

> >> Folks, it just doesn't get any better than this.
> >
> >here- look at this. It is proof
> >
> >http://homestead.deja.com/user.chesterthepilot/files/spacerock.gif
>
> Methinks Chester is about to reveal his true identity.

Ok. You caught me out. I am Chester Marshall Jr, jr. Dad is out picking onions and I have been using his account. Its hard to find
time to use the 486 because he is always working on BC3K.

Anyway, I don't think BC3K is so hot as dad does. I want to play Diablo and stuff and he is always saying "No Chester Jr, we can't
afford one of those newfangled peniums". So, anyway, I think BC3K sucks ass because it has used up my dad and spent him out. He
says mom left for something else but that's lies. It was BC3K. Oops... here he comes. I posted the pictures too... don't tell....

chester jr2

Jimmy Chan

Jul 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/31/00
On Sun, 30 Jul 2000 17:27:10 -0400, "Rico" <Troop...@bugplanet.org>
wrote:
>"Ron S." <Ro...@HotmailNOREPLY.com> wrote in message
>>
>> I can't see any clear way of refuting this, so I think that Derek does owe
>> you a big apology. We will see how fair minded he really is, I guess.
>>
>> I kind of thought maybe there were lot's of returns, but your post is the
>> first clear proof we have had of this.
>>
>> Nice job, that should satisfy just about everyone on the 'score' about
>> battlecruiser's sales.

>Actually, I fully expect a reply from Derek to say "Any fool can see that is
>a totally *incorrect* and *wrong* analysis! After all, I have the real
>numbers right *here* in front of me, and I *know* he's *wrong*."
>
>Then there will be silence on this issue for a couple weeks, at which point
>Derek will go back to saying "There's never been *any* proof offered by that
>*jackass* JackyO on this matter."
>
>It's his M.O. as seen in the past with the degree mill diploma e-mail to
>revved, and the incorrect message length of the Trainman50 message
>(indicating it was altered).

It is most likely that the PhD Fraud will claim that JackyO is
killfiled and never saw the proof, though just saw response to one of
JackyO's post from the PhD Fraud. This is his usual tactic to actual
proof that he cannot refute.

Maybe Lemming should repost the whole thing in it's entirety so that
the PhD Fraud can't claim he didn't see it.

"Here we go again. When you can't get anything meaningful going, resort
to name calling." - Derek Smart, PhD Fraud

Allan Parent

Jul 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/31/00
"DAKTARI!" wrote:

> So looking at the samples held up by Derek Smart, Lead designer of the
> Battlecuriser series, as pieces of Mars, where no human vehicle has ever
> returned from, I think that they are more likely terrestrial in nature.
> Further more the very idea that such a sample would have been given away for
> subscribing to an adolescent science magazine is absurd.

Well the pictures were very poor but the last one was at least marginal.
I took the image and played with it in order to see it better. I have a
masters in Geology/ Geochemistry and during my course work I had to read
up a little on meteorites. I do not remember ever reading about one that
was this shiny. They all looked heavily oxidized. But upon enlarging
picture#3, it seems the "meteorite" appears like a piece (nugget) of
aluminum or zinc. Of course without seeing it first hand I can't be
sure.

Allan

DAKTARI!

Jul 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/31/00

Allan Parent <all...@flash.net> wrote in message

I again fall back on the idea that a "Mr. Wizard" science magazine would be
handing out something as valuable as "Mars Metal" with a subscription as
absurd.

Louis J.M

Jul 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/31/00
In article <3985b5e3...@news.cis.dfn.de> , l3m...@btinternet.com
(Lemming) wrote:

> On Mon, 31 Jul 2000 10:34:31 -0400, Derek Smart <dsm...@pobox.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Below are the pics of the space rock sent to me by Final Frontier mag

>>a few years back. IIRC, they said it was from Mars. Its a piece of
>>silver metal. If they had said outer space 'rock', I would've thought
>>- meteorite.
>

> Well, whether it's a meteorite or a pice of Mars (or both), I wish I
> had one.
>

> But: you could have at least smiled for the camera ...

Damn.

Well, he's got the facial expression down. All he needs is a Kafka and
an AK-47 and he'd be the spitting image of a terrorist.

.-~~-.____ Louis J.M
/ | ' \
( ) O _
\_/-, ,----' // E-Mail: Loui...@Earthlink.net
==== ___// WWW : Coming Soon!
/ \-'~; /~~~(O)----------------------------------------------------
/ __/~| __/ | "If you think you know what is going on, you're
==(______| (_________| probably full of !@#$." - Robert Anton WIlson

foamy

Jul 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/31/00
In article <t83boscl54n531o4q...@4ax.com>,
dsmart@-NOSPAMFORME-pobox.com wrote:

>Below are the pics of the space rock sent to me by Final Frontier mag
>a few years back. IIRC, they said it was from Mars. Its a piece of
>silver metal. If they had said outer space 'rock', I would've thought
>- meteorite.

Well what we have above, is the inadvertent revelation that he does not
know ' meteorite ' and a piece of Mars are not necessarily mutually
exclusive.

The education system is going down the toilet. Bought Ph.D's just aren't
what they used to be.

Jim

Erik

Jul 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/31/00
In the last episode our hero, Chester Marshall Jr, revealed that:

>ryu-dog <mar...@sie.net> wrote in message news:kvmbos8r15th5pebt...@4ax.com...

>> >here- look at this. It is proof
>> >
>> >http://homestead.deja.com/user.chesterthepilot/files/spacerock.gif
>> >

>> LOLOLOL!!!
>
>You think thats so funny huh? Its ok for you to laugh at the misfortune of others huh? Here is more proof for you about thos
>moonrocks buddyboy...
>
>http://homestead.deja.com/user.chesterthepilot/files/jo.gif

Soo, Derek Smart is one of the Kids In The Hall, I'd bet he is the
real reason for cancer too. :-)

Lemming

Jul 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/31/00
On Mon, 31 Jul 2000 20:36:30 GMT, Allan Parent <all...@flash.net>
wrote:

Like I say Alan - I'm not arguing, truly. I visited the page on the
day the "story" broke here (26th) and I didn't notice a smiley either.
But there are so many small graphics like that on the page, that I
can't say one way or the other.

It is of course possible that the "edited by ... on ..." text was
faked - but the balance of probabilities makes me think that it was
there, and I just didn't notice it. I did try copying and pasting it
before I sent the post that started this sub-thread, and the smiley
doesn't come out on the paste. Easily done.

I just can't believe I'm seriously discussing smileys ...

foamy

Jul 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/31/00
In article <3985dd24...@news.cis.dfn.de>, l3m...@btinternet.com (Lemming) wrote:

>No, I don't know. I didn't say I knew - or at least I didn't mean to
>say that. I said I _believed_ there was no threat implied. As I said
>in the part of the post which you snipped, I believe that to be the
>case, because I believe the smiley, which is present now, to have also
>been in place in the original posting.

You're OK for a chicken-shit Swede. :-)
Shouldn't you be eatin' watermellon nigger ? :-)
Come over here and I'll stick a hot poker up your ass. :-)
I know where you live. :-)
I know who you are. :-)

What the hell has tagging a smilie got to do with anything ? The
length you go do defend Smart is truly amazing.

His statement with or without the smilie, could not be interpreted
by any reasonable person in any other manner than an implied
threat and there would be consequences for those not complying
with his wishes.

HE controls the board. HE controls whether or not people have access
to it. HE desperately needed reviews posted counteracting the negative
ones. HE made the point his lackeys should head over and post. He
indicated [ and HE would ] know who did and didn't comply.

And you get hung up on a fucking smilie, and are willing to give him a
pass because of it ? Unbelievable.

Jim

Lemming

Jul 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/31/00
On Mon, 31 Jul 2000 20:39:50 GMT, timho...@yahoo.com (Timski) wrote:

>=?===== On Mon, 31 Jul 2000 18:02:10 GMT
>=+===== Lemming posted:
>
>>I don't believe there was anything wrong with DS asking the members of
>>his board to post reviews to counter what were plainly false reviews
>>(not all were false).
>
>False, as in false pretences? Possibly, but impossible to prove.
>False, as in incorrect? By definition, not possible unless the person
>submitting the review is not actually submitting their views, or is
>using someone else's name.

Both of which occurred, it would seem. A better word might have been
bogus. There is at least one review which claims to be from a
prominent member of the BC3K boards, but which the real owner of the
handle strenuously denies posting.

>I suspect a number are biased. Few are objective. And some are not
>actually reviewing the *game* stated at the top of the page.

Indeed.

>But then, can we really expect the ongoing comedy that is _the_ flame
>war to behave any better when it goes on holiday to someone else's
>website? I just feel sorry for Eric, the hotel manager, who has to put
>up with this week's rowdy intake of vistors. Bet he's hiding under the
>reception desk now, just hoping they'll all go home again.

I find it odd that people who berate DS on a daily basis for fraud,
then themselves go off and perpetrate fraud, or support it.

>>I do think some of his board members may have
>>been over-zealous in their praise, and also some may have percieved
>>DS's posting as a threat, where none was intended.
>
>I read that *threat* as irony when I went over there to see what all
>the fuss was about. But then not everyone understands irony. Eh?

Quite. And there are none so blind as those who do not wish to see.

>>I believe that the smiley was present in the original thread, and it
>>was missed here due to cutting and pasting.
>
>Trivial, but - big grin not smiley?

As you say - big grin.

Allan Parent

Jul 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/31/00
Lemming wrote:

> I just can't believe I'm seriously discussing smileys ...
>
> Regards,
>
> Derek Sorensen
> --

LOL! Me either.

Allan

Lemming

Jul 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/31/00
On Mon, 31 Jul 2000 22:32:25 GMT, foa...@home.com (foamy) wrote:

>And you get hung up on a fucking smilie, and are willing to give him a
>pass because of it ? Unbelievable.

Ok, Foamy, what do you want me to say? That I agree with you? Even
if I don't?

I was challenged to exlain my viewpoint, and I did so. I can only
tell you what I believe to be true - and nothing has been said which
changes my viewpoint so far.

You can abuse me as much as you wish, it will make no difference to my
point of view, just as it makes no difference when DS does it.

foamy

Jul 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/31/00
In article <398602f9...@news.cis.dfn.de>,
l3m...@btinternet.com (Lemming) wrote:

>Ok, Foamy, what do you want me to say? That I agree with you? Even
>if I don't?

Well, it _would_ make me happy knowing you finally
saw the light. :-) <-----------------------------legitimate and
catalogued.

>You can abuse me as much as you wish, it will make no difference to my
>point of view, just as it makes no difference when DS does it.

I don't want to abuse you, and I apologize if I've been rude. You just
frustrate me over this issue. Let me ask you what you believe the
purpose of his statement about ' knowing who they were ' was, if
it wasn't intimidation. It couldn't have been to request them to post,
he had already done that.

Please give me one rational explanation of the function of that sentence
other than intimidation. If you can do that, I'm perfectly willing to admit
you could be right, and me wrong.

Jim

Louis J.M

Jul 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/31/00
In article <8m4kh2$6h4$1...@slb7.atl.mindspring.net> , "DAKTARI!"
<bigdadd...@mindspring.com> wrote:

> Allan Parent <all...@flash.net> wrote in message

>> > Well, considering that I had to take a break from work to go on that
>> > particularly pointless stint, what was there to smile about?
>> >

>> As opposed to taking a break from work to continuously post lies and
>> insults on USENET?
>>

> He really did go overboard in the last few days. I found this at Planetcrap
> (an alarming name within itself)...
>
> ""It seems that Derek cannot correctly represent our conversation or the
> facts. Eric clearly articulated what our position is and I fully support his
> actions. Derek has repeatedly tried to threaten us with a lawsuit and
> intimidation based on his "influence in the industry" in order to have Eric
> fired. Unfortunately for Derek, he is dealing with a company that believes
> in free speech and supports its staff.
>
> So what happens from here? Nothing. Derek and his product don't deserve the
> amount of attention we are currently giving it.
>
> Max Mancini
> President & CEO
> ConsumerREVIEW.com""
>
> I have been led to understand that Consumer Review carries so weight within
> the software industry...

> --
> --
> DAKTARI!
> daktari<at>england<dot>com
> Patron Saint of Cross Eyed Lions.
> Masters in Education, Mathematics
> Honors Program,
> University of California at Los Angeles
> RESISTANCE IS FUTILE!

Incredible.

.-~~-.____ Louis J.M
/ | ' \
( ) O _
\_/-, ,----' // E-Mail: Loui...@Earthlink.net
==== ___// WWW : Coming Soon!
/ \-'~; /~~~(O)----------------------------------------------------

/ __/~| __/ | "I am not a vegetarian because I love animals; I'm a
==(______| (_________| vegetarian because I hate plants." A. Whitney Brown

DOSFERATU

Jul 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/31/00

Derek Smart wrote in message ...

>There you have it, draw your own conclusions.
>
>www.3000ad.com/temp/et_pic2.jpg (200K)

We have a winner in the world's biggest booger contest.

(I'm talking about the thing in the foreground, not the pile of solidified
smegma in the background)

/////\\\\\/////\\\\\
Pat Lundrigan
\\\\\/////\\\\\/////

Carlos Gomez

Jul 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/31/00
wrote:

>Below are the pics of the space rock sent to me by Final Frontier mag

>a few years back. IIRC, they said it was from Mars. Its a piece of
>silver metal. If they had said outer space 'rock', I would've thought

Well, my conclusion is that you are immensely gullible. Some magazine
sends you a lump of rick and claims it is Martian metal and you
believe them.

Some degree mill sends you a fancy piece of paper that says PhD on it
and you believe them.

Lemming

Aug 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/1/00

*With* the smiley, I read it as an attempt at humour, perhaps even
self-parody. Without the smiley, I might have felt differently.

>If you can do that, I'm perfectly willing to admit
>you could be right, and me wrong.

Well, that's very charitable of you. I'll sleep soundly tonight.

Eric Harding

Aug 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/1/00
In article <vJfh5.28526$ga2.8...@newsread2.prod.itd.earthlink.net>, "The Larch" <what's....@all.for> wrote:
>"Eric Harding" <ewhard...@home.net> wrote in message

>would
>the Taco
>positive
>views.
>> >>

>> >Walter, Walter, Walter you really need to be skilled more in the ways
>of
>> >Derekspeak. Read this again:
>> >
>> >"go to the link below and post your honest reviews of your gaming
>> > experiences with and prevent those bozos from spiking the charts
>> > with bogus information. Am going to be reading them, so any
>> > over-the-top reviews from anyone and you're likely to get a
>spanking.
>> > And those who don't post? Well, lets just say, I'm know who you
>are."
>> >
>> >Let's look at the first sentence. He tells them to go and post their
>> >"honest" reviews. This is akin to going to the GOP or Democratic
>> >convention and asking for an unbiased opinion on the candidates. The
>> >second sentence states he will be "reading them" thus putting
>pressure
>> >on them to perform. The last sentence implies some sort of
>consequences
>> >if they did not post banishment?). Notice there was no smilely after
>the
>> >sentence.
>> >
>> >I agree that these reviews were coerced from Derek which in itself is
>> >very unprofessional. As I have said before, good games will generate
>> >good reviews without their developer's interference.
>> >
>> >Allan
>>

>> What really scarey is that they make up names for them selves, and go
>around
>> calling each other by their rank, made up names, etc. Haven't seen
>such a
>> large collection of no-lifers since the last time I worked a Star Trek
>> convention.
>
>Can a gigolo make good money at a Trekkie convention?

Depends on who you dress up as. Kirk you can't seem to make any money as,
because he'll have sex with anything. However, the Horta seems to be in high
demand. :)

Eric

foamy

Aug 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/1/00
In article <3986115b...@news.cis.dfn.de>,
l3m...@btinternet.com (Lemming) wrote:

>Well, that's very charitable of you. I'll sleep soundly tonight.

Well I'll tell you what then, go fuck yourself.

I give you a very civil post, apologized if I offended you, and you
come back with this condescending sarcastic bullshit ?

I WAS being tremendously charitable, in that only a fucking
imbecile could possibly interpret Smart's directive to his minions
as being anything other than a threat to pull their privileges
if they didn't comply.

Jim

Lemming

Aug 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/1/00

Temper, temper.

Louis J.M

Aug 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/1/00
In article <bjph5.95321$8u4.9...@news1.rdc1.bc.home.com> ,
foa...@home.com (foamy) wrote:

> In article <3986115b...@news.cis.dfn.de>,
> l3m...@btinternet.com (Lemming) wrote:
>
>>Well, that's very charitable of you. I'll sleep soundly tonight.
>

> Well I'll tell you what then, go fuck yourself.
>
> I give you a very civil post, apologized if I offended you, and you
> come back with this condescending sarcastic bullshit ?

Lemming's ok.

> I WAS being tremendously charitable, in that only a fucking
> imbecile could possibly interpret Smart's directive to his minions
> as being anything other than a threat to pull their privileges
> if they didn't comply.
>

> Jim

I'd love to see that. Then Smart would have no one to talk to but
himself. The bad thing would be we'd have 5/6 more BP's and
Ryu-Dogs here.

.-~~-.____ Louis J.M
/ | ' \
( ) O _ E-Mail: Loui...@Earthlink.net
\_/-, ,----' // WWW : Coming Soon!
==== ___// ----------------------------------------------------
/ \-'~; /~~~(O) "Half the world is composed of idiots, the other half
/ __/~| __/ | of people clever enough to take indecent advantage
==(______| (_________| of them." - Walter Kerr

JackyO

Aug 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/1/00

DAKTARI! <bigdadd...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

Excellent quote.

Derek has completely misrepresented his 'facts' here, once again, and is,
once again, completely busted.

No wonder he looks so damn miserable in the photo.

Heh, he looks about ready to tear Louis' head right off!

As usual, he attempts to get a hard working person fired.

He reminds me of the losers in all those movies who say things like
'tomorrow you will be working in Alaska.'

ROFL!

JackyO

Aug 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/1/00

mark edward hardwidge <hard...@ux11.cso.uiuc.edu> wrote in message
> In comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic Me <jen...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > Derek looks bitter...Oh! and the images of the rock are so blurry
> > they could be anything.
>
> Is that Derek in the picture? I'm confused, I saw some other
> pictures that were supposedly him, and the person in that picture
> likes -very- different than the one in these pictures.

Well, you must understand he has been brutally beaten up around here for
months now - you would look that despondent as well.

It is loading more messages.