Drakensang won't load due to audio subsystem issue

NFLed

Feb 25, 2009, 10:48:23 PM2/25/09
I've just installed the US version of Drakensang but it won't run, it
crashes to desktop but first puts up a message about audio subsystem
and recommends that I remove a software modem from my control panel
modems. I removed the software modem there and rebooted but
Drakensang still won't load.

Does anyone have a fix for this? The Drakensang official forums are
down so I can't check there and a google search only shows a few posts
with this issue in the german version or a pointer to the official
forums.

Trimble Bracegirdle

Feb 25, 2009, 11:07:06 PM2/25/09
Don't take much literal notice of that message....could in reality be almost
anything.

Try uninstall / re install.
Also Run the Windows included utility dxdiag.exe (you may have to search
your Windows folders for it if you don't already use it)

It will very thoroughly test and your systems graphic drivers & sound
capabilities.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") mouse

NFLed

Feb 26, 2009, 12:01:01 AM2/26/09
I tried uninstalling, rebooting, and reloading but that didn't work.
Dxdiag doesn't show
any problems and I can run other games such as Fallout 3.

It seems as though this is an issue with Drakensang and a search of
this issue shows
up a few of the same issue occurring on the German version but I am
hoping that there
is a fix for the English version. If anyone can point me in the right
direction (but not to
the official Drakensang forum because I can't get there as it's timing
out probably due
to high traffic) that would be great.

Message has been deleted

John Lewis

Feb 26, 2009, 2:18:14 AM2/26/09

If you have on-board sound and you are trying to run the game under
XP, access the Audio settings from Windows Control panel and turn down
the Sound Acceleration one notch. An instant crash to Desktop in
systems with on-board sound under XP in The Witcher Enhanced Edition
was fixed that way. It has now been hot-fixed. Just a guess...

John Lewis

NFLed

Feb 26, 2009, 3:14:55 AM2/26/09
I fixed it by trial and error. I went into Device Manager and
disabled "Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device" and then suddenly
Drakensang started working. The opening cinematic has vertical
colored streaks covering most of the screen but the main menu and
character creation screens look good (I haven't gone into the actual
game yet).

thegr...@gmail.com

Feb 26, 2009, 5:26:25 PM2/26/09

I have a solution for you. It came on my mind and it worked. The intro
is the problem... Right click on your Drakensang shortcut, click on
properties and in the line for "target" add -novideo. I tried it and
it worked. But I still have some graphical errors... Hope they will be
fixed soon. Have fun. ;)

gro...@earthlink.net

Mar 8, 2009, 11:42:06 PM3/8/09

Disabling "Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device" worked for me, although
other fixes descriobed in this forum did not...Thanks all...

kale...@gmail.com

May 4, 2009, 11:06:30 AM5/4/09

Go to the Device manager and uninstall your "Unimodem Half-Duplex
Audio Device" , just disabling it did not work for me. After modem was
uninstalled the game worked fine.l