New Daggerfall Demo??

Dan Bennett

Aug 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/17/96

I was just on Bethesda's website a moment ago and I decided to
re-download the Daggerfall demo and give it another spin.... much to my suprise,
when I went to the demos page, it said simply "New Demo Coming Soon." Odd
indeed.... what do you think, are they releasing a demo so that people will
check it out and then run out and buy it in the next few weeks? Or could it be
that they are releasing a new demo to placate us drooling mobs so they can
spring "Sorry chaps, it won't be out untill 1999," and we won't notice as we're
bust playing a two room dungeon... oh well, what do you guys thing this means?

Dick Jarvinen

Aug 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/18/96

I think it means that a new demo is coming soon.

jarv...@proaxis.com "T.W.I.G.T.D.T.W.Y.C.Q.M."
maintainer of the Unofficial Master of Magic Home Page
http://www.proaxis.com/~jarvinen/magic/magic.shtml

Gavin Scarman

Aug 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/18/96

Dan Bennett wrote:

> when I went to the demos page, it said simply "New Demo Coming Soon." > ....oh well, what do you guys thing this means?

Obviously if they used the old (as in 8 months old) demo that was made
when the game was in beta then it's a very poor representation of the
released game.
It's just a pity they couldn't have gotten the demo out before the
Limited edition offer expires.

Gavin Scarman http://www.satech.net.au/~scarman
mailto:sca...@satech.net.au

Tom Pancoast

Aug 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/18/96

dr...@phantasia.phreebyrd.com (Dan Bennett) wrote:

> I was just on Bethesda's website a moment ago and I decided to
>re-download the Daggerfall demo and give it another spin.... much to my suprise,
>when I went to the demos page, it said simply "New Demo Coming Soon." Odd
>indeed.... what do you think, are they releasing a demo so that people will
>check it out and then run out and buy it in the next few weeks? Or could it be
>that they are releasing a new demo to placate us drooling mobs so they can
>spring "Sorry chaps, it won't be out untill 1999," and we won't notice as we're

>bust playing a two room dungeon... oh well, what do you guys thing this means?

You figured it out. Bethesda is just pulling our legs. :)

Jeez, people get so touchy when a game comes out late. (Not really meaning to
single you out Dan. You are one of many) Programs get delayed; its a fact of
life. Heck, Microsoft can casually toss a couple dozen extra experienced
programmers at a job if it looks like it is going to run over, and even they
miss deadlines. Bethesda has MUCH more limited resources, and if a program
isn't done in time, it's going to be late. Live with it. (By the way, I have
no connection to Bethesda, I am just generalizing)

Anyhow, enough ranting. Personally, I am VERY glad they are coming out with
another demo. They have made alot of claims that they have significantly
improved the speed and graphics of the game, and I would like to see it first
hand.

---------------------------------------
tpan...@freedomnet.com (Tom Pancoast)
"An object at rest cannot be stopped!"

Richard Hsia

Aug 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/19/96

Tom Pancoast (tpan...@freedomnet.com) wrote:
: single you out Dan. You are one of many) Programs get delayed; its a fact of
: miss deadlines. Bethesda has MUCH more limited resources, and if a program

: isn't done in time, it's going to be late. Live with it. (By the way, I have
: no connection to Bethesda, I am just generalizing)
:

I think in this case some frustration is warranted. The release date
on Daggerfall has been pushed back for about a year, again and again.
I think we as gamers, and as customers who plop down $50-100 per game,
deserve to be treated a little better than to be constantly jerked
around time and again. Sure, it's just a game and it's not really a
big deal that it comes out a bit late to make it a better product.
But don't companies who expect their customers to pay this much $$$
for a product have some responsibility to meeting certain deadlines?
Other entertainment industries (music, movies, books, magazines) rarely suffer
from the kind of hype -
then letdown pattern that the gaming industry has consistently propagated.
Personally, I hope to see that as gaming grows as an industry, it can
mature enough to be as consistent with release dates, hype, etc, as,
for example, the film industry. Now maybe that isn't quite a fair
comparison since a good game can occupy you from 20-50 hours, whereas
a movie captivates you for only 2; then again, full price for a movie
is about $7 vs. $70 for a typical game...

--
Richard Hsia
UC Davis Millimeter-Wave Group

Home Page: http://camelot.ece.ucdavis.edu/

Dan Bennett

Aug 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/20/96

On Sun, 18 Aug 1996 15:53:03 GMT, tpan...@freedomnet.com (Tom Pancoast) wrote:

[...]

I am most certainly not radically anti-Bethesda, I'm just trying to figure out
what to read into the release of another demo... I, like you, am very glad that
they are taking the time to come out with another demo. As soon as the game
comes out I will gladly walk into a store and buy it.... It's just that when a
game is a year and a half late, and I finnaly begin to get excited about it
coming out again, I do tend to get touchy.... I guess that mystical "zero hour
bug" rumor shook me for a bit, but it sounds like the game will come out as
scheduled.... I don't mean to seem obsessive, but I remember being told more
than a year ago that Daggerfall was but two weeks away...

CyberJ

Aug 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/20/96

In article <32162807...@news.grfn.org>, dr...@phantasia.phreebyrd.com
says...

> I was just on Bethesda's website a moment ago and I decided to
>re-download the Daggerfall demo and give it another spin.... much to my
suprise,
>when I went to the demos page, it said simply "New Demo Coming Soon." Odd
>indeed.... what do you think, are they releasing a demo so that people will
>check it out and then run out and buy it in the next few weeks? Or could it
be
>that they are releasing a new demo to placate us drooling mobs so they can
>spring "Sorry chaps, it won't be out untill 1999," and we won't notice as
we're
>bust playing a two room dungeon... oh well, what do you guys thing this means?

Sorry, the new demo won't be out until the actual game is. Letter from
bethesda concerning it:

No one is doing anything about the new demo at this time. There will be no
new
demo until the game is released.

Bethesda Softworks
--
CyberJ jus...@faribault.polaristel.net

gree...@cluster.cwu.edu

Aug 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/20/96

On Sun, 18 Aug 1996, Gavin Scarman wrote:

> Dan Bennett wrote:
>
> > when I went to the demos page, it said simply "New Demo Coming Soon."

> > ....oh well, what do you guys thing this means?
>
> Obviously if they used the old (as in 8 months old) demo that was made
> when the game was in beta then it's a very poor representation of the
> released game.
> It's just a pity they couldn't have gotten the demo out before the
> Limited edition offer expires.

According to Bethesda Softworks, the 'new' demo will not be out until
after the release of Daggerfall. (I guess becuase they are hard at work
on Daggerfall itself.)

If you wish to have the other demo released in Europe and to some people
that pre-ordered Daggerfall check out my home page. Ypu can download it
there.

http://tahoma.cwu.edu:2000/~greenwel/daggerfall/tes.htm

-Ryan

Dan Bennett

Aug 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/20/96

On Tue, 20 Aug 1996 07:47:57 PDT, gree...@cluster.cwu.edu wrote:

:

Well, I'm glad to hear that the demo isn't going to hold the game up.... I must
say that the European version of the demo has scant little difference from the
first one, though.

Desslock

Aug 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/21/96

fragg wrote:

> The funniest thing about the whole demo thing is this:\
> Bethesda01 wrote me a letter back in February as to the cause
> of the 2nd delay in Daggerfall's release, His response was that
> the new producer wanted a new Demo for the Game magazines in
> particular. Well in April PCGamer was supposed to get it and
> guess what they didn't. In May or June they put on their CD the
> same one we all dl'ed so very long ago.
> 6 Months to work on a damn demo... hmmmm. no wonder the game is
> close to a year late. Think if they had tried to put the
> multiplayer that everyone wanted.
>
>---------------------------

This month's Computer Gaming World indicates that the game mags were in
fact given a "near gold" version of Daggerfall recently. The article
also states that:

"The terrain model has been significantly enhanced by algorithms built
by fractal genius and pioneer, Dr. Ken Musgrave. this addition
guarantees a better look for the game than originally planned, but the
true beauty in this game is below the surface, Daggerfall offers
role-playing detail far beyond games of recent vintage."

Of course, CGW was the magazine that published the "coming soon" preview
of Daggerfall in January 1995....

fragg

Aug 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/21/96

Gavin Scarman <sca...@satech.net.au> wrote in article
<3217E0...@satech.net.au>...

> Dan Bennett wrote:
>
> > when I went to the demos page, it said simply "New Demo
Coming Soon." > ....oh well, what do you guys thing this means?

> Obviously if they used the old (as in 8 months old) demo that
was made
> when the game was in beta then it's a very poor representation
of the
> released game.
> It's just a pity they couldn't have gotten the demo out before
the
> Limited edition offer expires.

Nicholas Jong

Aug 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/21/96

Richard Hsia wrote:
> Other entertainment industries (music, movies, books, magazines) rarely suffer
> from the kind of hype -
> then letdown pattern that the gaming industry has consistently propagated.
> Personally, I hope to see that as gaming grows as an industry, it can
> mature enough to be as consistent with release dates, hype, etc, as,
> for example, the film industry. Now maybe that isn't quite a fair
> comparison since a good game can occupy you from 20-50 hours, whereas
> a movie captivates you for only 2; then again, full price for a movie
> is about $7 vs. $70 for a typical game...

The main problem with this is that the products you mention (music,
movies,
books, magazines) are not interactive. Computer games are (we hope). As
the
deadline draws closer for the creators of linear forms of entertainment,
they can look at what they've created just as the listener, watcher, or
reader would. With computer games you need beta-testers; even they might
not see the entire game with something like Daggerfall. Also, computer
programs are inherently more complex: they are more than just recorded
music or video or printed text; they contain potentially hundreds of
variables and different situations with which anything can go wrong.

I do not envy the position of Daggerfall's creators.

fragg

Aug 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/22/96

yeah.... Game mags have been playing Diablo also, I was talking
about the demo, what does all this have to do with the demo that
is in and of it's self 6-7 months late.

Desslock <dess...@interlog.com> wrote in article
<321AAF...@interlog.com>...

> fragg wrote:
> >
> > The funniest thing about the whole demo thing is this:\
> > Bethesda01 wrote me a letter back in February as to the
cause
> > of the 2nd delay in Daggerfall's release, His response was
that
> > the new producer wanted a new Demo for the Game magazines in
> > particular. Well in April PCGamer was supposed to get it and
> > guess what they didn't. In May or June they put on their CD
the
> > same one we all dl'ed so very long ago.
> > 6 Months to work on a damn demo... hmmmm. no wonder the
game is
> > close to a year late. Think if they had tried to put the
> > multiplayer that everyone wanted.

Ryan

Aug 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/23/96

Dick Jarvinen <jarv...@proaxis.com> wrote in article
<4v6a3b$q...@news.proaxis.com>...
.
.
.
> >... I went to the demos page, it said simply "New Demo Coming Soon."

Odd
> >indeed.... what do you think, are they releasing a demo so that people
will
> >check it out and then run out and buy it in the next few weeks? Or
could it
> be
> >that they are releasing a new demo to placate us drooling mobs so they
can
> >spring "Sorry chaps, it won't be out untill 1999," and we won't notice
as

.
.
.
I'm thinking that the actual game is closeby. I've been watching the
release dates on the Electronic Boutique site (www.eboutique.com).
Although the date has been pushed back a few times, it's been pushed back
by fewer and fewer days. I've not read anything saying it is or isn't
going to be out soon, I'm only making an educated guess.

CyberJ

Aug 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/23/96

In article <32172fb0...@snews2.zippo.com>, tpan...@freedomnet.com¤
says...

>dr...@phantasia.phreebyrd.com (Dan Bennett) wrote:
>
>> I was just on Bethesda's website a moment ago and I decided to
>>re-download the Daggerfall demo and give it another spin.... much to my
suprise,
>>when I went to the demos page, it said simply "New Demo Coming Soon." Odd

>>indeed.... what do you think, are they releasing a demo so that people will
>>check it out and then run out and buy it in the next few weeks? Or could it
be
>>that they are releasing a new demo to placate us drooling mobs so they can
>>spring "Sorry chaps, it won't be out untill 1999," and we won't notice as
we're
>>bust playing a two room dungeon... oh well, what do you guys thing this
means?

>You figured it out. Bethesda is just pulling our legs. :)
>
>Jeez, people get so touchy when a game comes out late. (Not really meaning to
>single you out Dan. You are one of many) Programs get delayed; its a fact of
>life. Heck, Microsoft can casually toss a couple dozen extra experienced
>programmers at a job if it looks like it is going to run over, and even they
>miss deadlines. Bethesda has MUCH more limited resources, and if a program
>isn't done in time, it's going to be late. Live with it. (By the way, I have
>no connection to Bethesda, I am just generalizing)
>
>Anyhow, enough ranting. Personally, I am VERY glad they are coming out with
>another demo. They have made alot of claims that they have significantly
>improved the speed and graphics of the game, and I would like to see it first
>hand.
>
>---------------------------------------
>tpan...@freedomnet.com (Tom Pancoast)
>"An object at rest cannot be stopped!"
Come on, doesn't everyone know that the demo isn't being released until the
full game is out by now?
--
CyberJ jus...@faribault.polaristel.net

CyberJ

Aug 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/23/96

In article <321a4ef6...@news.grfn.org>, dr...@phantasia.phreebyrd.comØ
says...

>On Tue, 20 Aug 1996 07:47:57 PDT, gree...@cluster.cwu.edu wrote:
>
>:On Sun, 18 Aug 1996, Gavin Scarman wrote:
>:
>:> Dan Bennett wrote:
>:>
>:> > when I went to the demos page, it said simply "New Demo Coming Soon."
>:> > ....oh well, what do you guys thing this means?
>:>
>:> Obviously if they used the old (as in 8 months old) demo that was made

>:> when the game was in beta then it's a very poor representation of the
>:> released game.
>:> It's just a pity they couldn't have gotten the demo out before the
>:> Limited edition offer expires.
>:>
>:According to Bethesda Softworks, the 'new' demo will not be out until
>:after the release of Daggerfall. (I guess becuase they are hard at work
>:on Daggerfall itself.)
>:
>:If you wish to have the other demo released in Europe and to some people
>:that pre-ordered Daggerfall check out my home page. Ypu can download it
>:there.
>:
>: http://tahoma.cwu.edu:2000/~greenwel/daggerfall/tes.htm
>:
>
>Well, I'm glad to hear that the demo isn't going to hold the game up.... I
must
>say that the European version of the demo has scant little difference from the
>first one, though.

The European version is horrible, everything is titled "leather" you stick to
the walls so walking through a doorway is hard, and the water is gone. And
everyone says it crashes less, well on my machine it crashes more.
--
CyberJ jus...@faribault.polaristel.net