Gilbert Goodmate

Novanus

Jul 7, 2001, 6:52:30 PM7/7/01
Is it worth my time to pick up Gilbert Goodmate? I have seen wildly
varying reviews for this title, ranging from 4/10 to 88%, for example. It
seems to draw heavy inspiration from Curse of Monkey Island, which I
actually preferred to Escape from Monkey Island.

Some adventures I've enjoyed:

Curse of Monkey Island
Sanitarium
The Longest Journey
Grim Fandango

---
novanus

AC

Jul 7, 2001, 7:33:44 PM7/7/01
From your game list, I would think you will like G.G., :)) AC

"Novanus" <nov...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Mad

Jul 7, 2001, 8:24:55 PM7/7/01

Novanus wrote in message ...
>Is it worth my time to pick up Gilbert Goodmate? ...............

Hi.

I rate Gilbert as quite a good game and certainly think it's worth playing.
And, yes, it is more like the older "traditional" style of adventure - one
of the reasons why I enjoyed it.
Be sure to check up as to whether you will need any of the two patches
though - before you start to save any games. [Any games saved before
applying the "first" patch can't be used afterwards.]

Cheers.

Mad.

Len Green

Jul 8, 2001, 5:02:40 AM7/8/01
"Mad" <m...@ydbp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message news:<9i8987$k3a$1...@newsg2.svr.pol.co.uk>...

Good point about installing the patches!

AFAIK, EVERYBODY *needs* the ~1st~ patch since it updates the regular
'commercial' version V 1.0 to V 1.02. This improves gameplay
SUBSTANTIALLY in several areas, & eliminates a few gameplay (not
technical) bugs.
And yes, this makes your V 1.0 saves unusable!

The 2nd patch is *only* needed if you crash when trying to enter
Elton's workshop ... otherwise forget it! However, if you DO need it,
you MUST install the V 1.02 patch first (N.B. This 2nd patch will NOT
affect your V 1.02 saves).

Jenny100

Jul 8, 2001, 2:21:50 PM7/8/01
"Len Green" <leng...@netvision.net.il> wrote in message

Gilbert plays fine without the patch (as long as you don't have the
Elton's lab problem). The V 1.02 patch speeds up Gilbert's walk
and also cuts some of the dialog. For some people, cutting the
dialog would be a good thing. But one of the things they cut was
a dialog I'd particularly enjoyed in the unpatched game.

Novanus

Jul 8, 2001, 7:02:07 PM7/8/01
"Jenny100" <Jenn...@nospam.com> wrote in
<9ia8an$em1$1...@slb4.atl.mindspring.net>:

>Gilbert plays fine without the patch (as long as you don't have the
>Elton's lab problem). The V 1.02 patch speeds up Gilbert's walk
>and also cuts some of the dialog. For some people, cutting the
>dialog would be a good thing. But one of the things they cut was
>a dialog I'd particularly enjoyed in the unpatched game.

Thanks for all the replies.

I've never seen such a confusing situation on whether to patch or not
to patch, though. My standard procedure has been to go looking for a patch
right after ordering a game online, or getting home from the store.

I don't much like the idea of a patch removing dialog from the game,
though. Why did they do this, anyway? Is this so-called "Elton's Lab
problem" easily avoidable so I don't have to patch it?

Also, where have you in the U.S. gotten the game? I see there is a link
off the official Gilbert Goodmate site where you can buy it online for $30.
Are there any alternatives?

Thanks all.

---
novanus

Vince

Jul 9, 2001, 2:40:56 AM7/9/01
"Novanus" wrote

> Is it worth my time to pick up Gilbert Goodmate? I have seen wildly
> varying reviews for this title, ranging from 4/10 to 88%, for example. It
> seems to draw heavy inspiration from Curse of Monkey Island, which I
> actually preferred to Escape from Monkey Island.

There is a simple test for any adventure.

1) Look at it's review in PC gamer (you sometimes have to wait a year or
so).

2) If the review is positive, then what you have there my friend, is a Lucas
Arts game, buy it!

3) If the review is negative then buy it anyway. The reviewer is usually a
Quake freak who's been given a more complex genre as a punishment.

Lorne Laliberte

Jul 9, 2001, 7:48:16 PM7/9/01

"Jenny100" <Jenn...@nospam.com> wrote in message

> Gilbert plays fine without the patch (as long as you don't have the
> Elton's lab problem). The V 1.02 patch speeds up Gilbert's walk
> and also cuts some of the dialog. For some people, cutting the
> dialog would be a good thing. But one of the things they cut was
> a dialog I'd particularly enjoyed in the unpatched game.

Which one was that, Jenny? I haven't played the final game yet since
the company went bankrupt before anyone arranged for a free copy for the
team members.

I just can't bring myself to pay for a copy of it -- especially when the
team won't be seeing any royalties on sales since our contracts were
voided by the bankruptcy. There's just something wrong about having to
buy a game you spent two years working on. :)

--

Lorne Laliberte / Writer

www.cdnwriter.com - www.indigorose.com

Check out my Dad's cool steel art!
www.cdnwriter.com/steelart/

Jenny100

Jul 9, 2001, 8:43:18 PM7/9/01

> "Jenny100" <Jenn...@nospam.com> wrote in
> <9ia8an$em1$1...@slb4.atl.mindspring.net>:
>
> >Gilbert plays fine without the patch (as long as you don't have the
> >Elton's lab problem). The V 1.02 patch speeds up Gilbert's walk
> >and also cuts some of the dialog. For some people, cutting the
> >dialog would be a good thing. But one of the things they cut was
> >a dialog I'd particularly enjoyed in the unpatched game.
>
> Thanks for all the replies.
>
> I've never seen such a confusing situation on whether to patch or not
> to patch, though. My standard procedure has been to go looking for a
patch
> right after ordering a game online, or getting home from the store.

I think it depends on how much you like long conversations in a game.
I don't mind them, but some people complain about them. With the
V 1.02 patch, there is still plenty of conversation in the game, but
they cut some of the conversation in the first part of the game.

Gilbert does walk slowly. I wish they'd made a patch that sped him
up without deleting parts of the conversation.

> I don't much like the idea of a patch removing dialog from the game,
> though. Why did they do this, anyway? Is this so-called "Elton's Lab
> problem" easily avoidable so I don't have to patch it?

Most Gilbert games don't have the Elton problem. It occurred
because of an error on some Gilbert CD's. Most people won't
get the Elton problem, patched or not. But if you do get it, and
have a V 1.02 patched game, you won't lose your saves when
you install the Elton patch. And if you didn't use the V 1.02 patch,
your saves will be useless after the Elton patch and you'll have
to start over.

> Also, where have you in the U.S. gotten the game? I see there is a link
> off the official Gilbert Goodmate site where you can buy it online for
$30.
> Are there any alternatives?
>
> Thanks all.

You can get it from http://www.playinggames.bigstep.com/
but they also charge about $30.

Jenny100

Jul 9, 2001, 8:45:59 PM7/9/01

"Lorne Laliberte" <tfcw...@home.com> wrote in message

> "Jenny100" <Jenn...@nospam.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Gilbert plays fine without the patch (as long as you don't have the
> > Elton's lab problem). The V 1.02 patch speeds up Gilbert's walk
> > and also cuts some of the dialog. For some people, cutting the
> > dialog would be a good thing. But one of the things they cut was
> > a dialog I'd particularly enjoyed in the unpatched game.
>
> Which one was that, Jenny? I haven't played the final game yet since
> the company went bankrupt before anyone arranged for a free copy for the
> team members.

It was one of the ones with the old fisherman.

> I just can't bring myself to pay for a copy of it -- especially when the
> team won't be seeing any royalties on sales since our contracts were
> voided by the bankruptcy. There's just something wrong about having to
> buy a game you spent two years working on. :)
>

> Lorne Laliberte / Writer

I hope you're kidding. Did Prelusion really go bankrupt?

MaryJ

Jul 9, 2001, 11:51:24 PM7/9/01
Lorne Laliberte <tfcw...@home.com> wrote in message

> "Jenny100" <Jenn...@nospam.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Gilbert plays fine without the patch (as long as you don't have the
> > Elton's lab problem). The V 1.02 patch speeds up Gilbert's walk
> > and also cuts some of the dialog. For some people, cutting the
> > dialog would be a good thing. But one of the things they cut was
> > a dialog I'd particularly enjoyed in the unpatched game.
>
> Which one was that, Jenny? I haven't played the final game yet since
> the company went bankrupt before anyone arranged for a free copy for the
> team members.
>
> I just can't bring myself to pay for a copy of it -- especially when the
> team won't be seeing any royalties on sales since our contracts were
> voided by the bankruptcy. There's just something wrong about having to
> buy a game you spent two years working on. :)

Sorry to hear about the bankruptcy Lorne. The company sure went bankrupt
quick.

MaryJ

MaryJ

Jul 9, 2001, 11:54:11 PM7/9/01
Lorne Laliberte <tfcw...@home.com> wrote in message news:4pr27.4571$> I

just can't bring myself to pay for a copy of it -- especially when the
> team won't be seeing any royalties on sales since our contracts were
> voided by the bankruptcy. There's just something wrong about having to
> buy a game you spent two years working on. :)

> Lorne Laliberte / Writer

Lorne: just a thought - where was the game distributed -only in the U.S.? -
did it ever make it to Canada? I haven't looked in any Electronic Boutiques,
but didn't see it in Future shop when I was there a couple of days ago.

MaryJ

Lorne Laliberte

Jul 10, 2001, 1:15:59 AM7/10/01

> "Lorne Laliberte" <tfcw...@home.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Jenny100" <Jenn...@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > Gilbert plays fine without the patch (as long as you don't have
the
> > > Elton's lab problem). The V 1.02 patch speeds up Gilbert's walk
> > > and also cuts some of the dialog. For some people, cutting the
> > > dialog would be a good thing. But one of the things they cut was
> > > a dialog I'd particularly enjoyed in the unpatched game.
> >
> > Which one was that, Jenny? I haven't played the final game yet
since
> > the company went bankrupt before anyone arranged for a free copy for
the
> > team members.
>
> It was one of the ones with the old fisherman.

Ah. Those were some of my favorites too. :)

> > I just can't bring myself to pay for a copy of it -- especially when
the
> > team won't be seeing any royalties on sales since our contracts were
> > voided by the bankruptcy. There's just something wrong about having
> > buy a game you spent two years working on. :)
> >
> > Lorne Laliberte / Writer
>
> I hope you're kidding. Did Prelusion really go bankrupt?

I wish I were. Technically, "Prelusion" didn't go bankrupt, or at least
"Prelusion Development" didn't, as far as I know. The company
originally known as Prelusion ceased to exist over a year ago...it
changed its name to Global Minds after an ownership change. Our
contracts were all rewritten to refer to Global Minds, and it's Global
Minds who went bankrupt (some time in May I believe...I just found out a
week ago though).

"Prelusion Development" was formed by the original members of Prelusion
in Sweden, back when they needed to incorporate to apply for a loan I
think. (I believe it had something to do with buying shares in Global
Minds before it went bankrupt, but I'm shaky on the details.) They still
exist as a company, but as I understand it they don't own any of the
rights to Gilbert Goodmate any more, and won't receive any royalties
either. With luck they'll manage to find enough work to rebuild their
company.

Lorne Laliberte

Jul 10, 2001, 1:19:36 AM7/10/01

"MaryJ" <rain...@attcanada.ca> wrote in message

I'm not sure, but I think the game is only available online in North
America. I don't know if the U.S. distributor will ship to Canada.

Lorne Laliberte

Jul 10, 2001, 1:53:13 AM7/10/01

> > I just can't bring myself to pay for a copy of it -- especially when
the
> > team won't be seeing any royalties on sales since our contracts were
> > voided by the bankruptcy. There's just something wrong about having
> > buy a game you spent two years working on. :)
>
> Sorry to hear about the bankruptcy Lorne. The company sure went
bankrupt
> quick.

Yeah. It's too bad, because there were some darned talented people on
the team.

All because Prelusion lost control to an evil, conniving creature who
wormed his way in by taking over the financial reins and then messed
everything up.

Ah well. At least the game was actually released in the end. It doesn't
hurt that it seems to be making some people happy, either.

MP

Jul 10, 2001, 2:49:12 AM7/10/01
"Lorne Laliberte" wrote:

> I haven't played the final game yet since
> the company went bankrupt before anyone arranged for a free copy for the
> team members.

Lorne, I am shocked and dismayed to hear of this sad news. I was a beta
tester for Gilbert, and wanted to see the game reach the highest pinnacle of
success in the adventure genre. I still want only the best for Gilbert.

We were told, as beta testers, that we would receive a signed copy of the
finished product, but there has been no mention of this. The beta testing
website has been closed for awhile now, wherein I would check frequently to
see the latest news.

I know that Len (a beta tester, possibly the lead beta tester, although I
think Len is too unassuming to say so) spent many, many hours of Gilbert
beta testing to help create the Gilbert Goodmate the gaming community can
now buy.

I am very proud to have been a small part of the beta testing process, and I
suppose I should count my lucky stars I have, at least, a beta version of
Gilbert.

> I just can't bring myself to pay for a copy of it -- especially when the
> team won't be seeing any royalties on sales since our contracts were
> voided by the bankruptcy. There's just something wrong about having to
> buy a game you spent two years working on. :)

Again, this is shocking news. I wonder if there are any avenues you can take
for due compensation.

Thanks, Lorne, for being an integral part of a wonderful experience. I still
have all the emails from you, Mike Hiltunen, and Michael Ziganek. I even
have one from you reminding me of my NDA when posting to this newsgroup. :-)
I kept quiet, I did!

I thought that everyone involved would be very happy - Gilbert went "gold",
was published, etc. Your candid post really caught me off-guard.

Global Minds/Prelusion actually used one of my "blurbs" to advertise the
game on their website. Oddly, it was the last comment I had made at the beta
testing site.

It's still a wonderful game, and you should be proud. *And* paid.

Mark

Mad

Jul 10, 2001, 2:15:34 PM7/10/01

Lorne Laliberte wrote in message
<4pr27.4571$hn5.7...@news1.rdc1.mb.home.com>...

>"Jenny100" <Jenn...@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>

>I just can't bring myself to pay for a copy of it -- especially when the
>team won't be seeing any royalties on sales since our contracts were
>voided by the bankruptcy. There's just something wrong about having to
>buy a game you spent two years working on. :)
>
>Lorne Laliberte / Writer

Hi.

What horrible news !!
Was hoping Gilbert was only the first from this company :-(

Cheers.

Mad.

Jenny100

Jul 10, 2001, 3:21:35 PM7/10/01

> > > I just can't bring myself to pay for a copy of it -- especially when
> the
> > > team won't be seeing any royalties on sales since our contracts were
> > > voided by the bankruptcy. There's just something wrong about having
> > > buy a game you spent two years working on. :)
> > >
> > > Lorne Laliberte / Writer
> >
> > I hope you're kidding. Did Prelusion really go bankrupt?
>
> I wish I were. Technically, "Prelusion" didn't go bankrupt, or at least
> "Prelusion Development" didn't, as far as I know. The company
> originally known as Prelusion ceased to exist over a year ago...it
> changed its name to Global Minds after an ownership change. Our
> contracts were all rewritten to refer to Global Minds, and it's Global
> Minds who went bankrupt (some time in May I believe...I just found out a
> week ago though).
>
> "Prelusion Development" was formed by the original members of Prelusion
> in Sweden, back when they needed to incorporate to apply for a loan I
> think. (I believe it had something to do with buying shares in Global
> Minds before it went bankrupt, but I'm shaky on the details.) They still
> exist as a company, but as I understand it they don't own any of the
> rights to Gilbert Goodmate any more, and won't receive any royalties
> either. With luck they'll manage to find enough work to rebuild their
> company.
>

> Lorne Laliberte / Writer

So who is making money when we buy the game?
Does Prelusion Development get it?
It seems awfully convenient that your contracts were rewritten
to refer to Global Minds and then it was Global Minds that
went bankrupt.

Lorne Laliberte

Jul 10, 2001, 7:34:18 PM7/10/01

> "Lorne Laliberte" <tfcw...@home.com> wrote in message

Heh, I actually pissed off one of the Swedes by asking the same
questions when I first heard the news.

According to what I was told, the publishers/distributors and the Global
Minds bankruptcy estate are the only ones who will make any money off
the game.

Lorne Laliberte

Jul 10, 2001, 8:01:01 PM7/10/01

"MP" <markp...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

> "Lorne Laliberte" wrote:
>
> > I haven't played the final game yet since
> > the company went bankrupt before anyone arranged for a free copy for
the
> > team members.
>
> Lorne, I am shocked and dismayed to hear of this sad news.

Don't be too sad. At least the game was released commercially, which is
a lot more than can be said for many games with larger budgets.

I'm actually more disappointed the game didn't end up meeting my own
standards; I'm proud of the writing I did, but I don't feel it was
implemented as well as it could have been. It's amazing what we managed
to accomplish with so few people and such a limited budget, though.

> We were told, as beta testers, that we would receive a signed copy of
the
> finished product, but there has been no mention of this.

Yeah, getting information from the developers has been like pulling
teeth for a long time now. (Especially if the information involved
payment of some kind.)

> I know that Len (a beta tester, possibly the lead beta tester,
although I
> think Len is too unassuming to say so) spent many, many hours of
Gilbert
> beta testing to help create the Gilbert Goodmate the gaming community
can
> now buy.

Yeah, Len was a great tester. (And quite an amusing person to boot. :) I
must say, I was really impressed with all of our testers...we really
lucked out in that department.

> Again, this is shocking news. I wonder if there are any avenues you
can take
> for due compensation.

I doubt it. I don't think the game has sold well enough to turn a profit
for the publishers yet, so the point may end up being moot.

> Thanks, Lorne, for being an integral part of a wonderful experience. I
still
> have all the emails from you, Mike Hiltunen, and Michael Ziganek. I
even
> have one from you reminding me of my NDA when posting to this
newsgroup. :-)
> I kept quiet, I did!

:)

> I thought that everyone involved would be very happy - Gilbert went
"gold",
> was published, etc. Your candid post really caught me off-guard.

I was caught off guard too when I heard the news, too.

> It's still a wonderful game, and you should be proud. *And* paid.

Thanks MP.

Jenny100

Jul 10, 2001, 8:49:46 PM7/10/01

> > So who is making money when we buy the game?
> > Does Prelusion Development get it?
> > It seems awfully convenient that your contracts were rewritten
> > to refer to Global Minds and then it was Global Minds that
> > went bankrupt.
>
> Heh, I actually pissed off one of the Swedes by asking the same
> questions when I first heard the news.

They have no right to be pissed off.
You're the one who's getting cheated and you have every reason
to expect an explanation.

> According to what I was told, the publishers/distributors and the Global
> Minds bankruptcy estate are the only ones who will make any money off
> the game.

Global Minds bankruptcy estate???

That just sounds so ...

> Lorne Laliberte / Writer

Robert Norton

Jul 10, 2001, 10:44:59 PM7/10/01
"Lorne Laliberte" <tfcw...@home.com> wrote in <dLw27.5152$hn5.800852
@news1.rdc1.mb.home.com>:

>>All because Prelusion lost control to an evil, conniving creature who
>wormed his way in by taking over the financial reins and then messed
>everything up.

I thought I locked him in a bottle at the end of Lighthouse.

Modell

Jul 12, 2001, 4:39:10 PM7/12/01
Who is minding the store? I'm having problems with GG and have written to
Fasttrak for technical support. Their response, from a Jim Deeming,
indicated a connection with the Poloron Group. After finding themselves
(himself?) unable to help I was advised that my inquiry was forwarded to the
developers.

Most recently I have been told that the 'fix' for the problem would most
likely be available next week.

? Who is still working on the programming?
? Why can't Technical ... umm ... support?
? Who are the developers?
? Who is Jim Deeming?

I read the previous posts about the bankruptcy of Prelusion etc. Perhaps
someone can explain what is happening.
Thanks.
Modell

Len Green

Jul 13, 2001, 5:19:34 AM7/13/01
"Modell" <m_o...@peoplepc.com> wrote in message news:<3b4e09e8$1...@flexnet239.uunt.net>...

I'm not ANY 'authority' but will try to be helpful ("without
prejudice"):-

Never heard of either Poloron or Jim Deeming.
AFAIK, "Prelusion" are *still* the Developers.
The 2 guys who have been VERY helpful to *many* folk during the past
few weeks are Mike Hiltunen & Mike Ziganek.

Mike Z announced a couple of days ago that a new ('comprehensive' I
think ??) patch V 1.03 has been uploaded (apparently to correct some
more specific graphics problems):- see .................
http://www.gilbertgoodmate.co.uk/phorum/read.php?f=1&i=148&t=148
This new patch is {{ or was this morning :~)) }} downloadable from
http://www.gilbertgoodmate.com/

I hope some of this helps ????????

Mad

Jul 12, 2001, 10:59:52 PM7/12/01

Modell wrote in message <3b4e09e8$1...@flexnet239.uunt.net>...

>Who is minding the store? I'm having problems with GG and have written to
>Fasttrak for technical support

Hi.

If you want to email me direct - I might be able to help out.

Cheers.

Mad.

Cliff

Jul 13, 2001, 11:11:55 AM7/13/01
Hi !

I am VERY SORRY to hear about your company going bankrupt and
ESPECIALLY you guys not getting a fair share of a GREAT product.

I was a beta tester for GG (Cliff in Los Angeles) and had a lot of fun
helping beta test. The story, music, and graphics were TOPS !!!

I did wonder why I never got the signed copy of the finished
product........hmmmmmm BUT at least I can play it when I want.

Good luck in your future !!

Cliff Perry
Los Angeles

PS: I can say that whoever has been getting income from the game is
not getting "ALL" of the income as I have seen GG posted on the
Internet Binary Files lately !!

Mad

Jul 13, 2001, 2:02:42 PM7/13/01

Len Green wrote in message ...

>Never heard of either Poloron or Jim Deeming.

Hi Len.

I've never heard of Poloron either but it was Jim Deeming (Fasttrak Tech
Support) who told me about the first Gilbert patch.

Cheers.

Mad.

Jenny100

Jul 13, 2001, 4:42:36 PM7/13/01
"Cliff" <xc...@pacbell.net> wrote in message

> Hi !
>
> I am VERY SORRY to hear about your company going bankrupt and
> ESPECIALLY you guys not getting a fair share of a GREAT product.
>
> I was a beta tester for GG (Cliff in Los Angeles) and had a lot of fun
> helping beta test. The story, music, and graphics were TOPS !!!
>
> I did wonder why I never got the signed copy of the finished
> product........hmmmmmm BUT at least I can play it when I want.
>
> Good luck in your future !!
>
> Cliff Perry
> Los Angeles
>
> PS: I can say that whoever has been getting income from the game is
> not getting "ALL" of the income as I have seen GG posted on the
> Internet Binary Files lately !!

The whole game or the demo?

Cliff

Jul 13, 2001, 8:05:57 PM7/13/01
Both CD1 and CD2.........FULL GAME

On Fri, 13 Jul 2001 16:42:36 -0400, "Jenny100" <Jenn...@nospam.com>

Len Green

Jul 14, 2001, 5:11:03 AM7/14/01
Hi Cliff (& Lorne, & Mad, & Jenny100, & others),

I don't know ANY of the 'ins & outs' of all this, but it sure seems a
mess and a very great pity after all the good work so many different
people put into that game --- and the final results were pretty good,
considering !!

BTW ... excuse my abysmal ignorance, but what/where is "Internet
Binary Files"?

Cliff

Jul 14, 2001, 12:38:35 PM7/14/01

Hi !
This is just another nice word for "pirated software"..........where
someone breaks down CD's into partial binary files to post on the
Internet in news groups such as alt.binaries.cd.image,
alt.binaries.cd.image.reposts, etc. etc.

Then people download the pieces, put them back together
and "burn" or create a CD copy of the original CD, thus getting
around buying the CD in the first place (AKA Pirate or WAREZ
software).

Take care !

Cliff

On 14 Jul 2001 02:11:03 -0700, leng...@netvision.net.il (Len Green)

Jenny100

Jul 14, 2001, 1:34:55 PM7/14/01

> Hi !
> This is just another nice word for "pirated software"..........where
> someone breaks down CD's into partial binary files to post on the
> Internet in news groups such as alt.binaries.cd.image,
> alt.binaries.cd.image.reposts, etc. etc.
>
> Then people download the pieces, put them back together
> and "burn" or create a CD copy of the original CD, thus getting
> around buying the CD in the first place (AKA Pirate or WAREZ
> software).
>
> Take care !
>
> Cliff

It seems like an awful lot of fuss to go through.
I wonder if the challenge of putting the game together this
way and having it work isn't as attractive to them as playing the game.

Murray Peterson

Jul 14, 2001, 1:34:40 PM7/14/01
leng...@netvision.net.il (Len Green) wrote in

> BTW ... excuse my abysmal ignorance, but what/where is "Internet
> Binary Files"?

Pirated software being posted to the usenet. Take a peek at the
alt.binaries.* groups to see what's going on. Major warning though --
besides being illegal, it's usually a guarantee that any game you download
will be a poor replacement for the purchased copy. Most of the time, the
posters tend to leave out bulky, "unimportant" things like music or audio
files.

--
Murray Peterson
Email: murray_...@home.com (remove underscore)

Geoffrey Tobin

Jul 19, 2001, 12:50:51 AM7/19/01
Lorne Laliberte wrote:

> I just can't bring myself to pay for a copy of it -- especially when the
> team won't be seeing any royalties on sales since our contracts were
> voided by the bankruptcy. There's just something wrong about having to
> buy a game you spent two years working on. :)

There's also something deeply wrong about Anglo bankruptcy law.
I blame the Norman Conquest.

--
Geoffrey Tobin: Email: g...@ee.latrobe.edu.au
WWW: http://www.ee.latrobe.edu.au/~gt/gt.html

Geoffrey Tobin

Jul 19, 2001, 12:53:35 AM7/19/01
Lorne Laliberte wrote:

> Which one was that, Jenny? I haven't played the final game yet since
> the company went bankrupt before anyone arranged for a free copy for the
> team members.

A solution is for some of us to chip in to buy copies for the team
members.
It's a more sincere way of showing gratitude than mere words.

Where can we buy Gilbert Goodmate?

Geoffrey Tobin

Jul 19, 2001, 12:55:41 AM7/19/01
Lorne Laliberte wrote:

> They still
> exist as a company, but as I understand it they don't own any of the
> rights to Gilbert Goodmate any more ...

What's this "any more"? As far as i'm concerned, the developers
are the _only_ ones who ever have any right to their own work.

And publishers get far too much credit already.

Geoffrey Tobin

Jul 19, 2001, 12:58:48 AM7/19/01
Lorne Laliberte wrote:

> All because Prelusion lost control to an evil, conniving creature who
> wormed his way in by taking over the financial reins and then messed
> everything up. ...

Really? You'd think everyone on Earth would be alert to that scam
by now. Developers need courses in "how not be a sucker".

Geoffrey Tobin

Jul 19, 2001, 1:03:43 AM7/19/01
Lorne Laliberte wrote:

> "MP" <markp...@mindspring.com> wrote:

> > Again, this is shocking news. I wonder if there are any avenues you
> > can take for due compensation.
>
> I doubt it. I don't think the game has sold well enough to turn a profit
> for the publishers yet, so the point may end up being moot. ...

There's an easy way to fix that. Instead of buying the game,
i'm willing to donate the same money to the development team.

Nominate an account to receive the funds, please.

Geoffrey Tobin

Jul 19, 2001, 1:07:19 AM7/19/01
Jenny100 wrote:
> It seems like an awful lot of fuss to go through.
> I wonder if the challenge of putting the game together this
> way and having it work isn't as attractive to them as playing the game.

The few professional pirates i've encountered are in it either
for the money (some actually sell warez) or because of the thrill
of the black market. To the best of my knowledge, none of them
becomes good enough at any one game to enjoy it well, as paying
aficionados do.

Adventurer

Jul 19, 2001, 10:42:51 AM7/19/01
Better yet, lets all combine our losses until we can amass a debt that
reaches into the millions ... then apply for credit from an American bank, a
BIG bank, which when granted we can parcel out as bonus' to the developers
and then we can declare bankruptcy and simply walk away :)

"Geoffrey Tobin" <g...@ee.latrobe.edu.au> wrote in message

Jenny100

Jul 20, 2001, 3:48:46 PM7/20/01

> Lorne Laliberte wrote:
> >
> > Which one was that, Jenny? I haven't played the final game yet since
> > the company went bankrupt before anyone arranged for a free copy for the
> > team members.
>
> A solution is for some of us to chip in to buy copies for the team
> members.
> It's a more sincere way of showing gratitude than mere words.
>
> Where can we buy Gilbert Goodmate?

Are we really going to do this? I could afford to buy one copy for
one of the developers, but can't afford to buy for everyone.

In the USA, http://www.playinggames.bigstep.com/ is a source.
In the UK,
http://www.softwarefirst.com/Product.asp?WebRef=10097914
is a source. There are other sources listed at
http://www.gilbertgoodmate.com/publishers.htm#Order
including one for Australia and New Zealand.