DNF nearing completion?

"One Punch" Mickey

Apr 13, 2006, 5:49:01 AM4/13/06

Sleepy

Apr 13, 2006, 10:20:58 AM4/13/06

""One Punch" Mickey" <bl...@bleh.com> wrote in message
news:d8p%f.8090$j7.2...@news.indigo.ie...
> http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=8878

the update describes the current state of the title, which was viewed at 3D
Realms' Texas studios: "mainly just pieces of the game in progress and tech
demos", including "an early level, a vehicle sequence, a few test rooms",
among others.

sounds like its far from nearing completion to me - John Romero must be
laughing his ass off.

Schrodinger

Apr 13, 2006, 5:59:58 PM4/13/06

""One Punch" Mickey" <bl...@bleh.com> wrote in message
> http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=8878

Holy crap, what are those guys *doing*?

Gabe and the boys managed to write a delivery system *twice* and develop the
best game engine on the market in far less time than these jokers have
managed to write a game sans the delivery systems and engine.

Highlandish

Apr 13, 2006, 9:54:36 PM4/13/06
Quoth The Raven; Sleepy <nos...@here.com> in
<e7t%f.83209$zI1....@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk>

i read that same article in PC POWERPLAY

--
Remove the _CURSEING to reply to me

Karmageddon: It's like, when everybody is sending off all these really
bad vibes, right? And then, like, the Earth explodes and it's like a
serious bummer.

Swizzle

Apr 14, 2006, 12:00:46 AM4/14/06
I've given up any hope on ever seeing DNF. Even if the game does come out a
few years from now (as it doesn't sound like they really have anything
done), the expectations are so high that it's not going to be able to meet
them. I think it's time they at least scrap the title and say they started
work on a new Duke game.

Swizzle

"Highlandish" <ckreskay...@dodo.com.au> wrote in message

pigdos

Apr 14, 2006, 3:07:59 AM4/14/06
By the time they come out w/DNF they're hoping everyone who has played the
original game will be dead. That way, there will be zero expectations
for/from their customer base...

--
Doug
"Swizzle" <sup...@demu.org> wrote in message

pigdos

Apr 14, 2006, 3:09:40 AM4/14/06
I still like Far Cry better than Half Life2. I don't really like the
claustrophobically small levels in Half Life2 (at least relative to Far Cry
levels/maps) or the waveless water or the lack of vegetation...

--
Doug
"Schrodinger" <n...@way.com> wrote in message

Schrodinger

Apr 14, 2006, 5:04:08 AM4/14/06
I was forgetting Far Cry - as a game it tailed off too much at the end IMO,
but the engine is better in many ways.

"pigdos" <N...@nowhere.com> wrote in message

Memnoch

Apr 14, 2006, 8:21:09 AM4/14/06
On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 23:00:46 -0500, "Swizzle" <sup...@demu.org> wrote:

>"Highlandish" <ckreskay...@dodo.com.au> wrote in message
>> Quoth The Raven; Sleepy <nos...@here.com> in
>> <e7t%f.83209$zI1....@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk>
>>> ""One Punch" Mickey" <bl...@bleh.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> the update describes the current state of the title, which was viewed
>>> at 3D Realms' Texas studios: "mainly just pieces of the game in
>>> progress and tech demos", including "an early level, a vehicle
>>> sequence, a few test rooms", among others.
>>>
>>> sounds like its far from nearing completion to me - John Romero must
>>> be laughing his ass off.
>>
>> i read that same article in PC POWERPLAY
>>
>> --
>> Remove the _CURSEING to reply to me
>>
>> Karmageddon: It's like, when everybody is sending off all these really
>> bad vibes, right? And then, like, the Earth explodes and it's like a
>> serious bummer.
>
>I've given up any hope on ever seeing DNF. Even if the game does come out a
>few years from now (as it doesn't sound like they really have anything
>done), the expectations are so high that it's not going to be able to meet
>them. I think it's time they at least scrap the title and say they started
>work on a new Duke game.

Pride won't let them do that I expect. They are stuck really. They either give
up and look like cunts. Or they release the game, have it shit on and people
laugh at how long it took them to release this POS.....and look like cunts.
Its a lose lose situation for those folks and they know it.

Memnoch

Apr 14, 2006, 8:21:45 AM4/14/06

Ah yes, but they had the added benefit of talent.

Les Steel

Apr 14, 2006, 11:27:24 AM4/14/06

""One Punch" Mickey" <bl...@bleh.com> wrote in message
> http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=8878

Just had an email off amazon.co.uk offering 28% off, with an anticipated
release date of the 29th September 2006!

Kroagnon

Apr 14, 2006, 12:10:45 PM4/14/06

"Schrodinger" <n...@way.com> wrote in message

> Gabe and the boys managed to write a delivery system *twice* and develop

> the best game engine on the market in far less time than these jokers have
> managed to write a game sans the delivery systems and engine.

lol... you consider an upgraded Quake engine to be "best game engine on the
market"? Half-life 2's engine is bested by those years older. Give me a
break.

Oh, and there is no DNF. Stop giving Broussard and his ilk attention.

knight37

Apr 14, 2006, 3:32:20 PM4/14/06

Or option 3, they make a great game. But that's unlikely at this point.
But still a possible scenario.

Knight37

Xocyll

Apr 14, 2006, 4:29:28 PM4/14/06
"knight37" <knig...@gmail.com> looked up from reading the entrails of

I'm guessing it _won't_ be state of the art graphics when it finally
appears.

Frankly I don't give a damn as long as it has the same irreverent feel
Duke3d had.

Quake had better graphics (true 3d for everything) over Duke3d's 3d
landscape and sprites for everything else, but Duke was the better game
- and not just because Quake was so brown.

I just hope they won't have forgotten what made Duke so damn fun by the
time they finally get DNF done.

Xocyll

Highlandish

Apr 14, 2006, 8:48:36 PM4/14/06
Quoth The Raven; Xocyll <Xoc...@kingston.net> in
<ba10425a58r9occnf...@4ax.com>

> "knight37" <knig...@gmail.com> looked up from reading the entrails
> of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:
>

>>Memnoch wrote:
>>>
>>> Pride won't let them do that I expect. They are stuck really. They
>>> either give up and look like cunts. Or they release the game, have
>>> it shit on and people laugh at how long it took them to release
>>> this POS.....and look like cunts. Its a lose lose situation for
>>> those folks and they know it.
>>
>>Or option 3, they make a great game. But that's unlikely at this
>>point. But still a possible scenario.
>
> I'm guessing it _won't_ be state of the art graphics when it finally
> appears.

SSSHHHHH, you'll make them upgrade again

--
Remove the _CURSEING to reply to me

The stall closest to the door in a bathroom is the cleanest, because it
is the least used.

Memnoch

Apr 15, 2006, 12:06:39 PM4/15/06

I really hope that is what happens. But I doubt it.

OnePunchMickey

Apr 17, 2006, 10:34:37 AM4/17/06
Kroagnon wrote:

> lol... you consider an upgraded Quake engine to be "best game engine on the
> market"? Half-life 2's engine is bested by those years older. Give me a
> break.

Amazing how this shite spreads.

"Shortly before completing Half-Life, Valve software began the planning
and research for their next major project: Half-life 2. It became
apparent early on that the game engine used for Half-Life (a heavily
modified Quake 1 engine) simply would not meet HL2's specification — not
without being completely rewritten. Instead, they started from scratch,
coding everything from the ground up (with the exception of the physics
code licensed from Havok — more on that later)."

http://www.hlfallout.net/articles.php/article_2/

OnePunchMickey

Apr 17, 2006, 10:35:38 AM4/17/06
Xocyll wrote:
I'm guessing it _won't_ be state of the art graphics when it finally
> appears.

Far from it, but that never hurt Duke Nukem 3D did it?

Kroagnon

Apr 17, 2006, 12:22:10 PM4/17/06

"OnePunchMickey" <as...@asdasd.com> wrote in message

If you have played with the Half-life 2 engine you wouldn't be sprouting
Valve propaganda. The HL2 engine ("Source") remains nothing but an upgraded
HL engine (which itself was Quake1 modified, at least they got that right).
Not that they haven't done a fine job of upgrading it, but the limitations
of its Quake roots show.

Shawk

Apr 17, 2006, 12:51:17 PM4/17/06

"Kroagnon" <kroa...@kroagnon.com> wrote in message

> "OnePunchMickey" <as...@asdasd.com> wrote in message
>
>>> lol... you consider an upgraded Quake engine to be "best game engine on
>>> the market"? Half-life 2's engine is bested by those years older. Give
>>> me a break.
>>
>> Amazing how this shite spreads.
>>
>> "Shortly before completing Half-Life, Valve software began the planning
>> and research for their next major project: Half-life 2. It became
>> apparent early on that the game engine used for Half-Life (a heavily
>> modified Quake 1 engine) simply would not meet HL2's specification - not
>> without being completely rewritten. Instead, they started from scratch,
>> coding everything from the ground up (with the exception of the physics
>> code licensed from Havok - more on that later)."

>> http://www.hlfallout.net/articles.php/article_2/
>
> If you have played with the Half-life 2 engine you wouldn't be sprouting
> Valve propaganda. The HL2 engine ("Source") remains nothing but an
> upgraded HL engine (which itself was Quake1 modified, at least they got
> that right). Not that they haven't done a fine job of upgrading it, but
> the limitations of its Quake roots show.

Where are you getting your information?

Took a quick look and didn't find anything that said Source was an updated
version of the HL engine nor that there was any remaining Quake code.

http://www.valvesoftware.com/sourcelicense/SOURCE_InfoSheet_Q!01a.FINAL.pdf

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Source_engine

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Valve_Developer_Community:Community_Portal

BillL

Apr 17, 2006, 2:21:10 PM4/17/06

"Shawk" <sh...@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote in message

Disgusting isn't it? Go out and buy a Aston Martin Vantage and is all you're
getting is heavily modified Model T Ford .....

Xocyll

Apr 17, 2006, 4:15:54 PM4/17/06
OnePunchMickey <as...@asdasd.com> looked up from reading the entrails of

>Xocyll wrote:

Nope that's kind of the point I was making.
Quake was superior graphically (despite being so damn brown), but Duke3D
was more fun and in my opinion a vastly superior game.

Duke was fun and funny, and that doesn't need the latest, greatest
graphics the way the less fun and totally humorless shooters other
companies come out with.

"One Punch" Mickey

Apr 18, 2006, 3:57:37 AM4/18/06
Xocyll wrote:

> Quake was superior graphically (despite being so damn brown),

It wasn't all brown! There was the Azure Agony level and ....

Yeah, brown.

"One Punch" Mickey

Apr 18, 2006, 4:06:48 AM4/18/06
Kroagnon wrote:

> If you have played with the Half-life 2 engine

Yep.

> you wouldn't be sprouting Valve propaganda.

Or as I like to call them - FACTS.

> The HL2 engine ("Source") remains nothing but an upgraded
> HL engine (which itself was Quake1 modified, at least they got that right).

Wrong!

> Not that they haven't done a fine job of upgrading it, but the limitations
> of its Quake roots show.

The HDR, the facial animation and the AI *really* show off the Quake
engine's limitations, you're right.

Kroagnon

Apr 18, 2006, 3:58:02 PM4/18/06

"Shawk" <sh...@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote in message

>> If you have played with the Half-life 2 engine you wouldn't be sprouting

>> Valve propaganda. The HL2 engine ("Source") remains nothing but an
>> upgraded HL engine (which itself was Quake1 modified, at least they got
>> that right). Not that they haven't done a fine job of upgrading it, but
>> the limitations of its Quake roots show.
>
> Where are you getting your information?
>
> Took a quick look and didn't find anything that said Source was an updated
> version of the HL engine nor that there was any remaining Quake code.
>
> http://www.valvesoftware.com/sourcelicense/SOURCE_InfoSheet_Q!01a.FINAL.pdf
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Source_engine
>
> http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Valve_Developer_Community:Community_Portal

Yea, I'm going to trust Valvesoftware.com links or anything that comes out
of their mouths. Just like you know, Starforce.com says that Starforce is
safe. No thanks, I'll believe my own eyes first.

Shawk

Apr 18, 2006, 5:39:18 PM4/18/06

"Kroagnon" <kroa...@kroagnon.com> wrote in message

...and your own eyes tell you that the HL2 engine is based on the Quake one?
;) Seriously where did this info come from? Does it have a basis in fact
or is word of mouth Internet myth? I know HL was based on the Quake engine
but everything I've ever read (except anti-Valve/Steam usenet posts) state
the HL2 engine was designed from ground up.

Memnoch

Apr 18, 2006, 10:33:44 PM4/18/06
On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 22:39:18 +0100, "Shawk" <sh...@clara.co.uk.3guesses>
wrote:

All you have to do is look at the console commands and to know that's not
true.

"One Punch" Mickey

Apr 19, 2006, 3:32:48 AM4/19/06
Kroagnon wrote:

>> Where are you getting your information?

A bloke told him, down the pub.

oceanclub

Apr 19, 2006, 9:25:17 AM4/19/06
http://science.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=123383&cid=10366123`

------

"Duke Nukem Forever is a 1999 game and we think that timeframe matches
very well with what we have planned for the game." - George Broussard,
1998

"Trust us, Duke Nukem Forever will rock when it comes out next year."
-Joe Siegler, 1999

"When it's done in 2001." -2000 Christmas card

"DNF will come out before Unreal 2." -George Broussard, 2001

"If DNF is not out in 2001, something's very wrong." -George Broussard,
2001

"DNF will come out before Doom 3." -George Broussard, 2002

The Voyager 1 spacecraft has travelled approximately 2.5 billion miles
since the announcement of Duke Nukem Forever.

The rovers Spirit and Opportunity were proposed, authorized, announced,
designed, launched and successfully landed upon Mars within the
timeframe of Duke Nukem Forever's development.

--------

P.

m...@home.net

Apr 19, 2006, 11:58:42 AM4/19/06
On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 14:58:02 -0500, "Kroagnon" <kroa...@kroagnon.com>
wrote:

Your eye sight is failing

OnePunchMickey

Apr 19, 2006, 1:46:43 PM4/19/06
>>Yea, I'm going to trust Valvesoftware.com links or anything that comes out
>>of their mouths. Just like you know, Starforce.com says that Starforce is
>>safe. No thanks, I'll believe my own eyes first.

Oh for jesus sakes the FUD out there is hilarious at times. Valve
software lying about something like that has legal repercussions, and it
would for example stop them licencing the engine which is where they
make most of their revenue. Because who's going to buy a revamped Quake
engine in 2006?

OnePunchMickey

Apr 19, 2006, 1:52:22 PM4/19/06
Let's ask the guys who stole the source code!

Highlandish

Apr 19, 2006, 8:11:38 PM4/19/06
Quoth The Raven; oceanclub <paul_m...@hotmail.com> in
<1145453117.8...@v46g2000cwv.googlegroups.com>

that is a classic :) this post should be entered in the usenet hall of fame!

--
Remove the _CURSEING to reply to me

"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening. But this wasn't it." -Groucho
Marx

Hank the Rapper

Apr 19, 2006, 8:13:26 PM4/19/06
OnePunchMickey wrote:

> Oh for jesus sakes the FUD out there is hilarious at times. Valve
> software lying about something like that has legal repercussions, and
> it would for example stop them licencing the engine which is where
> they make most of their revenue. Because who's going to buy a
> revamped Quake engine in 2006?

But remember, it is Vavle who has an agenda, not Kroagnon, the vocal Valve
hater.

--
http://tastybeverage.ytmnd.com/

Kroagnon

Apr 20, 2006, 11:00:15 AM4/20/06

"Memnoch" <mem...@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> wrote in message

>>> Yea, I'm going to trust Valvesoftware.com links or anything that comes
>>> out
>>> of their mouths. Just like you know, Starforce.com says that Starforce
>>> is
>>> safe. No thanks, I'll believe my own eyes first.
>>
>>...and your own eyes tell you that the HL2 engine is based on the Quake
>>one?
>>;) Seriously where did this info come from? Does it have a basis in fact
>>or is word of mouth Internet myth? I know HL was based on the Quake
>>engine
>>but everything I've ever read (except anti-Valve/Steam usenet posts) state
>>the HL2 engine was designed from ground up.
>
> All you have to do is look at the console commands and to know that's not
> true.

But... but... they redesigned it from the ground up, then copied the console
line by line because they uhhh... didn't have time to rewrite all the
console commands and cvars because they had to rewrite Steam again. Yea,
that's it!! Valvesoftware.com said so. So did Gabe.

Shawk

Apr 20, 2006, 11:13:25 AM4/20/06

"Kroagnon" <kroa...@kroagnon.com> wrote in message

;) Thanks Kro

oceanclub

Apr 20, 2006, 11:15:06 AM4/20/06
>But... but... they redesigned it from the ground up, then copied the console
>line by line because they uhhh... didn't have time to rewrite all the
>console commands and cvars because they had to rewrite Steam again. Yea,
>that's it!! Valvesoftware.com said so. So did Gabe.

Isn't that the argument used by SCO to "prove" that Linux Torvalds
stole UNIX?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCO_Group

P.

Hadron Quark

Apr 25, 2006, 9:41:57 AM4/25/06
"Kroagnon" <kroa...@kroagnon.com> writes:

Where is your proof otherwise? Sounds like you're just talking
through your ass to get some attention.

Werner Spahl

Apr 25, 2006, 11:26:25 AM4/25/06
On Tue, 25 Apr 2006, Hadron Quark wrote:

> Where is your proof otherwise? Sounds like you're just talking
> through your ass to get some attention.

I think John Carmack stated himself in an interview that there is
still Quake code in HL2. Just Google for it.

--
Werner Spahl (sp...@cup.uni-muenchen.de) Freedom for

Hadron Quark

Apr 25, 2006, 1:25:48 PM4/25/06
Werner Spahl <sp...@cup.uni-muenchen.de> writes:

There is a big difference from "some code" to "being based on".

--
lithp : syntax error

Shawk

Apr 25, 2006, 2:34:02 PM4/25/06

"Werner Spahl" <sp...@cup.uni-muenchen.de> wrote in message

> On Tue, 25 Apr 2006, Hadron Quark wrote:
>
>> Where is your proof otherwise? Sounds like you're just talking
>> through your ass to get some attention.
>
> I think John Carmack stated himself in an interview that there is
> still Quake code in HL2. Just Google for it.

It's in his blog talking about releasing the Q3 code...

"Previous source code releases were held up until the last commercial
license of the technology shipped, but with the evolving nature of game
engines today, it is a lot less clear. There are still bits of early Quake
code in Half Life 2, and the remaining licensees of Q3 technology intend to
continue their internal developments along similar lines, so there probably
won't be nearly as sharp a cutoff as before. I am still committed to making
as much source public as I can, and I won't wait until the titles from the
latest deal have actually shipped, but it is still going to be a little
while before I feel comfortable doing the release"

Bits of early Quake code? Hardly means, as Kroagnon put it "an upgraded
Quake engine" does it?

i own a yacht

Apr 26, 2006, 5:00:16 AM4/26/06
Shawk <sh...@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote:

> Bits of early Quake code? Hardly means, as Kroagnon put it "an upgraded
> Quake engine" does it?

it does if you have an axe to grind.

--
"Please excuse my posts in this thread this morning, I had not yet taken
my meds." -Jim Vieira

Werner Spahl

Apr 26, 2006, 7:50:34 AM4/26/06
On Tue, 25 Apr 2006, Hadron Quark wrote:

> > I think John Carmack stated himself in an interview that there is
> > still Quake code in HL2. Just Google for it.
>

> There is a big difference from "some code" to "being based on".

Still HL2 maps can be edited by Quake engine editors like QuArK without
much problems because probably it's the base that is still the same. At
the top the new HL2 renderer and physics are quite visibly different...

Hadron Quark

Apr 26, 2006, 6:55:49 PM4/26/06
Werner Spahl <sp...@cup.uni-muenchen.de> writes:

> On Tue, 25 Apr 2006, Hadron Quark wrote:
>
>> > I think John Carmack stated himself in an interview that there is
>> > still Quake code in HL2. Just Google for it.
>>
>> There is a big difference from "some code" to "being based on".
>
> Still HL2 maps can be edited by Quake engine editors like QuArK without
> much problems because probably it's the base that is still the same. At
> the top the new HL2 renderer and physics are quite visibly
> different...

It's called backwards compatability : nothing to do with it being "the
same code".

--
lithp : syntax error

Werner Spahl

Apr 27, 2006, 6:20:11 AM4/27/06
On Thu, 27 Apr 2006, Hadron Quark wrote:

> It's called backwards compatability : nothing to do with it being "the
> same code".

I don't believe that. QuArK is an editor capable of editing Quake engine
games. It can't edit Unreal or Lithtech, so if HL2 was indeed something
really new, why should it be so close to Quake that it can be edited with
QuArK? Also I see no need for backwards compatability in a game at all.

Hadron Quark

Apr 27, 2006, 7:21:08 AM4/27/06
Werner Spahl <sp...@cup.uni-muenchen.de> writes:

> On Thu, 27 Apr 2006, Hadron Quark wrote:
>
>> It's called backwards compatability : nothing to do with it being "the
>> same code".
>
> I don't believe that. QuArK is an editor capable of editing Quake engine
> games. It can't edit Unreal or Lithtech, so if HL2 was indeed something
> really new, why should it be so close to Quake that it can be edited with
> QuArK? Also I see no need for backwards compatability in a game at
> all.

I can think of loads of reasons to be able to load old maps. And all of
them good for the end user.

Werner Spahl

Apr 27, 2006, 2:46:44 PM4/27/06
On Thu, 27 Apr 2006, Hadron Quark wrote:

> Werner Spahl <sp...@cup.uni-muenchen.de> writes:
>
> > Also I see no need for backwards compatability in a game at all.
>
> I can think of loads of reasons to be able to load old maps. And all of
> them good for the end user.

Sorry, but you can only load HL2 maps with HL2. No compability to any
other Quake game on that upper level, just hidden deep down below...