Converting SID to WAV

Rick Youngman

Jan 11, 2008, 9:04:40 AM1/11/08
I've been messing around with converting some SIDs to wav's and
midi files, because of a request from a user.

I have used both of Michael Schwendt programs sid2mid and sid2wav.
( for DOS )

This sid2mid works very well, but unfortunantly, the output file sound
is that of a piano ... I want a systhensizer sound, like the SID file
resemble's

#1 does anyone know how to correct this ??, so it has a "synth"
#2 does anyone know the command to batch convert the files ( see
below ) using sid2mid

Now ..using sid2wav, the results are EXCELLENT... but there is no
way <I found> to batch convert a directory with this program.

This batch file works for SID2MID (found on a web site)

sid2midi -CWD CLYSTRON.sid
sid2midi -CWD EG.sid
sid2midi -CWD GORDIANT.sid
sid2midi -CWD MEGASTAR.sid
sid2midi -CWD SPRTOFRT.sid

and will convert all those files, in one sweep, to a .mid file, with
the same name.

using the same -CWD with sid2wav -- does not work --

I'm not sure what exactly the -CWD command is doing (and I never heard
of it for use in a batch file brfore either) , because I don't see any
documentation, in the sid2mid archive I downloaded. ( keep in mind , I
found a blurb on a web site to batch convert a directory using sid2mid
with this command )

Anyway... I really , like to batch convert some sid files to WAV...
and eventually to midi files, using another program entirely ( unless
someone can tell me how to make that piano sound like a
sysnthensizer)... which would make life much easier.

Any idea's

Rick

P.S. Using Sidplay's (now undocumented ) ALT-W command, still
requires loading each sid file first... very time consuming.. I'd
like to batch conevert

bluebirdpod

Jan 11, 2008, 12:19:38 PM1/11/08

use sidplay2 for windows, you can save to .wav and its the sid sound.

-bb

jbones

Jan 11, 2008, 12:59:34 PM1/11/08
> -bb- Hide quoted text -

The drawback with SidPlay2 is you can't batch. IIRC, you also have to
set your own endpoints as SIDs loop forever.

Rick Youngman

Jan 11, 2008, 3:37:14 PM1/11/08
On Jan 11, 10:59 am, jbones <jbone...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The drawback with SidPlay2 is you can't batch.  IIRC, you also have to
> set your own endpoints as SIDs loop forever.- Hide quoted text -

Exactly.

like I said I dont what the CWD command is in the batch file for
sid2mid. I wonder if there is a batch command that would equal CWD for
the sid2wav DOS program ??

Ripping a directory list to a text file is easy, and editing it to a
base for a batch file, is equally easy....... there must be away to
batch convert.......I'll keep trying

iAN CooG

Jan 11, 2008, 6:21:32 PM1/11/08
Assuming you are using sidplay2 commandline version (check
sourceforge/google for it)
to convert all a*.sid in current directory to a*.wav lasting 2minutes each:

for %a in (a*.sid) do sidplay2.exe -t2:00 -w %a

sample output:
| SIDPLAY - Music Player and C64 SID Chip Emulator |
| Sidplay V2.0.9, Libsidplay V2.1.1r4 |
| Title : Acieed Beat |
| Author : Steven Diemer (A-Man) |
| Released : 1990 Tropic |
| Playlist : 1/1 (tune 1/1[1]) |
| Song Length : 02:00 |
Creating audio file, please wait...00:00

(etcetc)

--
-=[]=--- iAN CooG/HokutoForce ---=[]=-
My software never has bugs. It just develops random features!

Rick Youngman

Jan 11, 2008, 10:58:58 PM1/11/08

I got the SidPlay2 command line version off the Forge ( thanx for the
tip )
It works GREAT too BTW

but the command line you have above, doesn't seem to work, with the
wildcards.. as a Batch file

it comes back with a message: 00 unexpected at this time .... and
locks up.

I am dropping to DOS on a windoze machine, to convert files.... maybe
that makes a diff ???

not sure why ?? Sidplay2 can't handle wildcard files, to convert
( much like sid2wav ) like this:

sidplay2.exe *.sid -w
(and just do all the files at once)

Rick

bluebirdpod

Jan 12, 2008, 1:32:10 AM1/12/08

> The drawback with SidPlay2 is you can't batch.  IIRC, you also have to
> set your own endpoints as SIDs loop forever.- Hide quoted text -

Nice thing about sidplay2 for windows , you can under settings/play
tell it stereo, and it sounds awesome !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
and it can make a .wav file in stereo, again in the settings/wav menu
tell it 44100/16bit/stereo.
Best sounding standard .sids in windows .

Try it.

Martin Schemitsch

Jan 12, 2008, 7:30:18 AM1/12/08
On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 15:04:40 +0100, Rick Youngman <wl...@commspeed.net>
wrote:

> I've been messing around with converting some SIDs to wav's and
> midi files, because of a request from a user.

Just download the _real_ sid playing them from:

http://www.6581-8580.com/

They're all there!!

I like those crazy people! :)

Be sure to check out his setup in "How is it done".

Bye,
Martin

iAN CooG

Jan 12, 2008, 8:56:52 AM1/12/08
Rick Youngman <wl...@commspeed.net> wrote:

> sidplay2.exe *.sid -w
> (and just do all the files at once)

I haven't told you to use that syntax.
I'm using 4dos/4nt (command.com replacement by JPsoft) and this works well

for %a in (a*.sid) do sidplay2.exe -t2:00 -w %a

using command/cmd probably you have to use 2 "%%" before the variable name

for %%a in (a*.sid) do sidplay2.exe -t2:00 -w %%a

read your command interpreter manual/inline help and do your experiments

--
-=[]=--- iAN CooG/HokutoForce ---=[]=-

Quoting problems with OutlookExpress?

Anssi Saari

Jan 12, 2008, 9:29:18 AM1/12/08
Rick Youngman <wl...@commspeed.net> writes:

> On Jan 11, 4:21 pm, "iAN CooG" <LiEaVnAcMoI...@eLmEaViAlM.iIt!> wrote:
>> for %a in (a*.sid) do sidplay2.exe -t2:00 -w %a

> but the command line you have above, doesn't seem to work, with the

> wildcards.. as a Batch file

> it comes back with a message: 00 unexpected at this time .... and
> locks up.

I vaguely remember DOS and related had a problem or at least extra
hoops if using for in a batch file. That command works when given
directly at the prompt. Oh, there it is, right in the help (you know,
for /? gives help for for?) Anyway, use %%a instead %a in batch file,
like this:

for %%a in (a*.sid) do sidplay2.exe "-t2:00" -w %a

> I am dropping to DOS on a windoze machine, to convert files.... maybe
> that makes a diff ???

Dropping to DOS is something I thought was done in Windows 3 era? In
XP, there's what's called the 16-bit subsystem which makes it possible
to run DOS and WIN16 programs, but since sid2wav is a fully 32-bit
Windows program with seemingly no DOS version available, I don't see
how DOS is relevant here? Oh never mind.

> not sure why ?? Sidplay2 can't handle wildcard files, to convert
> ( much like sid2wav ) like this:
>
> sidplay2.exe *.sid -w
> (and just do all the files at once)

Because Bill put for and wildcard handling in the shell so there's no
reason to duplicate such functionality in an application?

Rick Youngman

Jan 12, 2008, 9:51:47 PM1/12/08
On Jan 12, 6:56 am, "iAN CooG" <LiEaVnAcMoI...@eLmEaViAlM.iIt!> wrote:

> using command/cmd probably you have to use 2 "%%" before the variable name
>
> for %%a in (a*.sid) do sidplay2.exe -t2:00 -w %%a

Using two % signs works like a charm on my machine
(windoze Vista)

and I assume will work with any windoze machine after Win 98

Thanks

Rick Youngman

Jan 12, 2008, 10:23:42 PM1/12/08
Ian,
THANKS MA MAHN !!

that %% was the ticket ...

but --- it only would process files with the starting letter of A, and
would ignore all others.

here is the solution
for %%? in (?*.sid) do sidplay2.exe -t2:00 -w %%?
That will command will now process ANY file in the directory, no
matter what letter it starts with.

And to take it a step further now ( thanks to your help)

If we extact/export Sid files from a D64 archive, using a tool like
Forest Mooks D64 Editor
(a GREAT program BTW).. the exported files look like this in a MSDOS
directory

MYSONG.PRG ( even tho its a music/sid file)

so here is a fix for that:
----------------------- -------------
see batch file below

ren *.prg *.sid
for %%? in (?*.sid) do sidplay2.exe -t2:00 -w %%?

Now lets say you want to convert some .DAT files, say on the HVoltage
CD's

First the File's HAVE to exist on your hard-drive BECAUSE you can't
write to a read-only CD
(so deal with it )

Next: create a folder on C:\ called C64WAVS

then run this batch file on any directory that holds .dat files
ren *.prg *.dat
for %%? in (?*.dat) do sidplay2.exe -t2:00 -w %%?
copy *.wav c:\C64WAVS
del *.wav
cls
@echo ALL DONE
and all your newly formed *.wav files will now be in the C:\C64WAVS
folder
and the temporay .wav files that were formed, will disappear from the
original directory, so you don't waste a lot of hard-drive space.

And Now the Tuff Stuff ???
Many floppie's and D64 images have this kind of file on them
for music files:

"MYSONG.MUS" PRG

That .mus indicates its a music file.... but it raises hell with
MSDOS in a batch file, because to MSDOS
it looks like this in the directory:

MYSONG.MUS.PRG

(duhhh that is two file attributes..... and that don't fly in MSDOS,
even if it does in Windoze)

so --- here is the fix for that:

ren *.prg *.mus
for %%? in (?*.mus) do sidplay2.exe -t2:00 -w %%?
del *.mus
del *.data
del *.prg
del *info
del *.inf
del *.c64
del *.str
del *.dat
del *.sid

In the above batch file, you will see a lot of extra "clean-up"
commands... this is because a MUS
file was created on the C64, with a program that embedded the the
author's info and stuff.
Running the batch file above WITHOUT the extra DEL commands, will
leave you with
a bunch of 0 kb files, in your directory , when you convert a .MUS
file.
(if you don't believe me, just edit the above batch file to the first
two lines, and run it)

I am not trying to, deny the author's thier credit's, but without
empty-ing the Zero byte files
after conversion, you would end up with a TON of files on your hard-
drive that contain nothing,
because the MUS file INFO, does not transfer to the WAV file anyway.

----------------------------

Rick

P.S. I'm working on a little better instructions for these batch
files
and will post them on my page soon, as well as these GREAT
utilities, for converting SID file's.

I know most of us here, aren't afraid of the C: prompt on a PC
but many here, have no idea what to do with it, or never have had
the pleasure to get to know it. So, I am going to warp up all
these great utilitie's for DOS, with full instruction's soon,,,, in
the mean time,
the rest of you have fun....... =/_=

iAN CooG

Jan 12, 2008, 11:58:50 PM1/12/08
Rick Youngman <wl...@commspeed.net> wrote:
> but --- it only would process files with the starting letter of A, and
> would ignore all others.
>
> here is the solution
> for %%? in (?*.sid) do sidplay2.exe -t2:00 -w %%?

OMFG
of course, that was an example for converting only a*.sid, quoting my post:

> to convert all a*.sid in current directory to a*.wav lasting 2minutes
each:

just use *.sid, no need for ?*

/me rolls eyes

--
-=[]=--- iAN CooG/HokutoForce ---=[]=-

The world isn't flat, it's Gouraud shaded.

Rick Youngman

Jan 13, 2008, 12:20:56 PM1/13/08

I tried that first Ian.... it didn't work for some reason I have not a
clue why ??? (seems like it shudda )

but the ? mark thing did / does

Now.... if someone could direct me to a full version of Peter's
sid2mid program (4 dos)
I would be gratefull, as Peter no longer supports it. He did release
a Windoze version finally
into freeware (which works great) but then it's the same problem
with batch converting.

My "unregistered" version, does not allow you to set the time length,
of the output midi file
and I'd really like to activate that feature somehow... but it hard to
register shareware, when the
author has abandandoned it !!!

FYI :: my ultimate goal here is to take a bunch of SID, and convert
them into like 10 second Midi files
and toss them online, so people can download them ( for free !! of
course ) and use them a Ring Tones for thier cell phones.

I'm sure I could do other stuff with my time, like clean the house, or
tune up the car, but this seems like more fun LOL

if anyone can help with the sid2midi program, you can always email me
at wlbbsFATcommspeedHOTnet

Rick

Rick Youngman

Jan 13, 2008, 6:22:13 PM1/13/08
On Jan 12, 5:30 am, "Martin Schemitsch" <team8martinl...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

OH MY FLUCKING LORD !!!

This is has to be one of the most totally "fully emersed" site's I
have ever seen !!!

This guy was --- is on a mission....... and altho the download
link to the MP3 files doesn't seem to work.... the "how it was done"
picture's are UNFLUCKING REAL !!!!

I just hope there is never a mouse in the house ( furry kind )...
because it would not survive.

I have NEVER seen ANYTHING ..... that even comes close to this man's
project.

Thanx for the link Martin

hg

Jan 13, 2008, 6:53:42 PM1/13/08
Well, I've seen some home Prime95 server farms which are pretty freaky, see for yourself -

http://mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=3258

Anyway, the guy has started all over again by recording mp3's of Amiga music, which will be finished this summer according to his
site (don't know why he's doing that though, no analogue sound hardware in Amigas?)

jbones

Jan 13, 2008, 9:48:34 PM1/13/08
On Jan 12, 7:30 am, "Martin Schemitsch" <team8martinl...@hotmail.com>
wrote: