USR Modem

GON...@clares.demon.co.uk

Aug 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/6/96

Anyone know if it's possible to connect a US Robotics 14400 fax/modem to the
C64? If so, do I need anything else in between to amke it work?

Is there any NET software at any site that I can go fetch that will allow me
to access web sites and send and receive mail?

Sorry if this is in the FAQ, I will check there when I next get chance. In
the meantime....

Cheers,

Gaz

gon...@clares.demon.co.uk

Jack Followay, Jr.

Aug 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/6/96
to GON...@clares.demon.co.uk

Yes. You simply need a SwiftLink (type) cartridge to allow the 64
to support connection speeds of up to 38.4k.

If you are technically minded, you can build such a device. Check
out some of the FTP sites for more info. If not,
just call CMD and order one. If you don't have a 9pin-25pin modem
cable, you will also need to pick one of those up (CMD sells them, as
does just about any local PC reseller).

CMD: http://www.the-spa.com/cmd
1-800-6383-CMD

Spindrift

Aug 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/8/96

In article <19960806....@clares.demon.co.uk>,

GON...@clares.demon.co.uk wrote:
>Anyone know if it's possible to connect a US Robotics 14400 fax/modem to the
>C64? If so, do I need anything else in between to amke it work?
>
>Is there any NET software at any site that I can go fetch that will allow me
>to access web sites and send and receive mail?
>
>Sorry if this is in the FAQ, I will check there when I next get chance. In
>the meantime....
>
>Cheers,
>
>Gaz
>
>gon...@clares.demon.co.uk

To you can either get (or make) an adapter for the User port to interface with
a standard RS-232 Device... Though you not going to get very good results at
high speed. The Other option is to get a Swiftlink cartridge which plugs into
the cart port... it will do high speed, but I understand that it may not be
compatable with all communications software. Either device can be obtained
from:

Creative Micro Designs, Inc.
P.O. Box 646
East Longmeadow, MA 01028

Orders & Catalog Requests: 800-638-3263
Info & Technical Support: 413-525-0023
Fax: 413-525-0147
http://www.the-spa.com/cmd/index.html

In their price guide you'll find:

Telecommunications Products

Aprotek MiniModem C-24 (C= ready, 2400 baud) $69.00
Aprotek MiniModem C (C= ready, 1200 baud) $50.00
Aprotek Modem Adapter (C= to Ext. PC Modem) $20.00
Aprotek Modem Adapter Cable $9.95
BOCA 2400 Baud Modem $69.00
BOCA 2400 w/SwiftLink and Cable $99.00
BOCA 14.4K bps FaxModem $129.00
BOCA 14.4K w/SwiftLink & Cable $159.00
BOCA V.34 28.8K bps FaxModem $199.00
BOCA V.34 w/SwiftLink & Cable $229.00
Dialogue 128 $29.00
SwiftLink RS-232 Cartridge (Up to 38.4K baud) $39.95
SwiftLink Modem Cable (DB9-DB25) $9.95

As to hooking up to the Internet... As far as I understand, there's some work
being done on that front , but nothing usable yet... Keep your eyes on the
CBM newsgroups... it's bound to make a big splash when it hits :)

Aaron Baugher

Aug 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/8/96

From: GON...@clares.demon.co.uk
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 1996 16:39:10 GMT

Anyone know if it's possible to connect a US Robotics 14400
fax/modem to the C64? If so, do I need anything else in between to
amke it work?

You could hook it to the user port, with an RS-232 adapter, and get
2400bps. Or, you could do Daniel Dallmann's (sp?) 9600bps user port
hardware hack. (sorry, I don't have his web address handy) Or, you
could buy a Swiftlink for about $40 from CMD and get 14.4Kbps, with up
to 38400 between computer and modem. Pointers to all these things can
be found in the FAQ.

Is there any NET software at any site that I can go fetch that will
allow me to access web sites and send and receive mail?

Your best bet would be to get a Unix shell account from your provider.
TCP/IP on the C= is still in the development stages, so there are no
C=-native browsers or SMTP-compliant mail programs (yet). With a
shell account, you'll be able to do all that (text based), and usually
faster than a PC user who runs all those things locally.

Aaron

Aaron J. Baugher http://www.bcl.net/~abaugher
Software Engineer abau...@bcl.net
Basic Communications, Ltd. _Roark_ on IRC

Phil Porth

Aug 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/8/96
to GON...@clares.demon.co.uk

On Tue, 6 Aug 1996 GON...@clares.demon.co.uk wrote:

> Anyone know if it's possible to connect a US Robotics 14400 fax/modem to the
> C64? If so, do I need anything else in between to amke it work?

YES, I do it all the time. You need a SwiftLink, Hart, or Datapump
RS232 interface cartridge. These will permit connecting a modem at up to
38.4k or more depending on the cart. If you plan on using it asa fax as
well you should make sure that the modem is capable of running GeoFax as
this is the only currently available program. If you are a geos user then
there is a program written being written for the 128 that will be a
Graphic Web browser. and yes, most of these answers are in the CBM FAQ.

> Is there any NET software at any site that I can go fetch that will allow me
> to access web sites and send and receive mail?

Using any program that can emulate a vt102 you can use a 64/128 and a Dos
Shell account to access the Internet, e-mail, and FTP site access.

Phil Porth (aka Phone Man)

From the land of the frozen North, Calgary Alberta Canada
Home of the Calgary Stampede
and Calgary Commodore Users Group