Virus Scan Program

DBEH...@miamiu.bitnet

Sep 16, 1992, 12:19:15 PM9/16/92
I'm wondering if there is such a thing as a virus detection program
for the Apple IIgs. If it does exist, where would I get it, and
how much it would cost.
Thanks,
Dennis J. Behrens

Jimmy Shaw

Sep 16, 1992, 2:56:49 PM9/16/92

Morgan Davis (or the Morgan Davis Group) has a $20 shareware called
VirusMD 2.0 for the Apple IIgs. I think it does it all.
There is also something called Spy.Check.Up that came from Europe that
checks for viruses on the GS. Salvation Supreme has a seperate
Virus Checker in the package.

Hope this helps.

Jimmy Shaw
--
Jimmy Shaw RamFAST, ZipGSX and 6.0... Apple II Forever!
jim...@ics.uci.edu

Dominique OTTELLO

Oct 2, 1992, 3:13:20 PM10/2/92
Dans <92260.1219...@MIAMIU.BITNET> DBEH...@MIAMIU.BITNET ecrit:

I apologize for my bad English. I'm French.
You MUST use Apple.Rx from Glen Bredon, the author of Prosel.

I think it is the best virus detective for Apple IIGS.

Apple II for ever
-+- Dominique -+-

Morgan Davis

Oct 4, 1992, 4:02:34 PM10/4/92
In <1992Oct02.1...@calvacom.fr> DO...@calvacom.fr (Dominique OTTELLO) writes:

>You MUST use Apple.Rx from Glen Bredon, the author of Prosel.
>I think it is the best virus detective for Apple IIGS.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Apple.Rx doesn't actually detect any
viruses. It only reports when your files have been modified -- and only
files that you've previously recorded into Apple.Rx's database of "known
to be clean" files. In a way, it's the ultimate defense against
viruses, but because of the way it works, it is not very convenient.
This is important when it comes to virus checking, because if it's too
much trouble for the average person to use properly, the average person
won't use it. It is unknown to me if Apple.Rx can even repair files
known to be infected with a virus. You may have to resort to backups
to recover non-infected files.

MDG's strategy in VirusMD is to scan your drive quickly (about 4000
files per minute, depending on your hardware), and not only report files
infected with Apple II viruses, but also offer to fix them for you.
VirusMD also repairs damage to volume directories that the viruses
cause, and can update your boot blocks if they're found to be "impure".
VirusMD is easy to use -- you would typically run it prior to backing up
your hard drive to insure that you're not backing up any infected files.
It takes less than a minute for most users.

VirusMD is available from the the Morgan Davis Group for $19.95.

Morgan Davis

Oct 5, 1992, 5:15:33 AM10/5/92
In <mdavis.718228954@crash> mda...@crash.cts.com (Morgan Davis) writes:

>Correct me if I'm wrong

As Bob Sherman pointed out in e-mail, Apple.Rx will report files
infected with the Apple II viruses, can repair them, and can fix block 0
as well. He also admits that Mr. Bredon chooses not to disclose the
inner workings and technical details of his program to thwart would-be
work-around viruses. It just leaves the rest of us to speculate about
its abilities.

Thanks for setting me straight, Bob.

Greg Delozier

Oct 5, 1992, 7:02:57 AM10/5/92

I'm trying to help a friend's wife upgrade her Apple IIgs, but I haven't
worked on an AppleII since the early 80's, so I'm both amazed that it has
come so far, and perplexed by a strange bug.

The computer ran games satisfactorily, for her kids, but she wanted to get
a hard drive, so she ordered one from Applied Engineering, I think, and I
put it in. It worked fine, but had version 6.0 of the operating system, and
now the II/gs complained about not having enough memory. So I had her order
a bunch of memory chips for the RAM card, put those in, and everything seems
to work fine... almost.

Problem is, when we run a game or other program that uses what looks like a
deeper than average screen (lots of colors....) for display of graphics,
then moving the mouse cursor around erases some of the bit planes of the
screen. Or more accurately, doesn't restore them after the mouse moves. It's
a wierd effect: Some things on the screen aren't affected, like disk
insertion messages, but the graphic screens, for instance, are erased to
black.

So what's going on here? I expended a few units of mental energy trying
to remember the Apple II screen mapping, but my old Apple II didn't have
that many colors, or a mouse, so I'm clueless. And as an engineer, I
hate to be clueless...

Can someone shed some light on this mystery? Or is this such a common
IIgs problem that I should be embarrassed for asking?

-greg
Greg DeLozier/Senior Analyst, Loral Defense/Grad Student, Kent State Univ.

SAB...@psuvm.psu.edu

Oct 5, 1992, 11:52:32 AM10/5/92
In article <1992Oct5.1...@mcs.kent.edu>, delo...@Condor.mcs.kent.edu

Never be embarrassed for asking a question. Actually, in the new system
software there are two CDevs. These are probably installed. They are
in the folder */system/CDevs (where * is your boot up volume, ie: Your
hard drive). Drag the CloseView and EasyAccess CDevs in to the trashcan.
NOTE: If you can't find them, check in */system/DAs, they might be in
there, I'm not sure if they are CDevs or DA's. After you drag them to the
trash, empty the trashcan, and reboot the system. Should work fine. Lots
of people have complained about this problem before, and this seems to be
the favored solution to fixing it...

>-greg
>Greg DeLozier/Senior Analyst, Loral Defense/Grad Student, Kent State Univ.

| Salvatore A. Buttice | BITNet: SAB121@PSUVM |
| 1511 State Street _____________|__InterNET: sab...@psuvm.psu.edu__|
| Erie, PA 16501 | My opinions are my own. They are subject to |
|_____________________| change at short notice. PSU had nothing to |
|_APPLE_II_FOREVER!!!_|___do_with_my_opinions,_I_formed_them_long_ago._|
|________________<This_space_intentionally_left_blank>_________________|

Roy Barrett

Oct 5, 1992, 7:09:52 PM10/5/92
: NOTE: If you can't find them, check in */system/DAs, they might be in

: there, I'm not sure if they are CDevs or DA's. After you drag them to the

They are INITs, or Extensions...
--

Roy Barrett, InterNet: (ds...@okcforum.osrhe.uoknor.edu), FutureNet: #1@#31
Double-Sided Double-Density (405/943-9496), FutureNet Site #31, Apple ][!!

Eric D. Shepherd

Oct 5, 1992, 7:14:40 PM10/5/92
Actually, a better solution is to select the EasyAccess icon, press AppleI,
and click the "Inactive" checkbox, then close the window. Do the same
for the CloseView icon. This will disable these troublemaking INITs.

- Eric S.

--
Eric Shepherd | Internet: uer...@mcl.mcl.ucsb.edu | AOL: Sheppy
-------- ACM Member ----- Apple II Alliance Charter Member --------