Memory expansion question

Jurgen

Mar 1, 2006, 2:28:07 PM3/1/06

Is it possible to combine 2 (or more) DK'tronics 64k ram expansions ?
I tried plugging a second 64k module in the back of the first one, but the
DK'tronics software only reports 64k of expansion RAM. Or could it be the
contacts need better cleaning?

thanks in advance,

Jurgen

Brian Watson

Mar 1, 2006, 6:26:55 PM3/1/06

"Jurgen" <jurgendebac...@telenet.be> wrote in message

> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to combine 2 (or more) DK'tronics 64k ram expansions ?

Yes.

> I tried plugging a second 64k module in the back of the first one, but the
> DK'tronics software only reports 64k of expansion RAM. Or could it be the
> contacts need better cleaning?

That sounds likely. Try attaching the second one first.

--
Brian

Stefan Stumpferl

Mar 2, 2006, 6:01:55 AM3/2/06
Hi!

Sorry, you can use only one dk'tronics 64KB expansion. Because it
occupies the Expansion-RAMs 1-4 (RAM select: C4, C5, C6 and C7). If
you use two expansions, then you use the same 64 KB twice.
But maybe you find another CPC464 on Ebay ;-)

Greets,
TFM / FS

p.s. You can use the program "OS-Infos" under FutureOS to see how much
expansion RAM is connected and/or useable.

Brian Watson

Mar 2, 2006, 12:31:07 PM3/2/06

"Stefan Stumpferl" <T...@FutureOS.de> wrote in message

> Hi!
>
> Sorry, you can use only one dk'tronics 64KB expansion. Because it
> occupies the Expansion-RAMs 1-4 (RAM select: C4, C5, C6 and C7). If
> you use two expansions, then you use the same 64 KB twice.
> But maybe you find another CPC464 on Ebay ;-)

I'm sure I've used a Silicon Disc + a memory expansion and got 256k extra.

--
Brian

Jurgen

Mar 2, 2006, 1:00:53 PM3/2/06

Thanks for all your answers. There's also something I noticed: with 1
64k module attached to my CPC664, I seem to have some problems,
for example SymbOS boots fine, but if I want to start an application, it
hangs. Same for the 128k game X-out, it hangs while loading.
If I try these 2 programs on my CPC6128, they both work fine.
Could this be an incompatibility with the 664+ 64k configuration, or is my
memory expansion faulty ? (again here, the DK'tronics software reports no
problems)

thanks again :-)

Jurgen

Stefan Stumpferl

Mar 2, 2006, 1:30:48 PM3/2/06
"Brian Watson" <WACC...@hotmail.com> schrieb:

Read carefully. We were talking about a 64 KB expansion (this is to
simulate the 6128's second RAM Bank), You are talking about the 256 KB
Memory expansion and the 256 KB Silicon Disc. Thats the difference.
Surely you can use the 256 KB Memory expansion and the 256 KB Silicon
Disc together, then you will get 512 KB expansion RAM, but that's NOT
the same as two 64 KB expansions.

Generally it would be better to get the 512 KB RAM expansion from
Dobbertin or Inicron. Then you have all in one case.
The very best choice would today be the Symbiface with 512 KB RAM, 512
KB simulated ROM, RTC and IDE (don't forget the PS/2 mouse). And you
can run FutureOS and SymbOS pretty well with the Symbiface.

Hope that the RAM problems are cleared now :-)

Dr. Stefan W. Stumpferl

Stefan Stumpferl

Mar 2, 2006, 1:33:46 PM3/2/06
Jurgen <jurgendebac...@telenet.be> schrieb:

This is probably indeed a problem of the expansion. It is known that
RAM configuration &C1 and &C3 work different on old 464/664 and 6128.
SymbOS needs &C1 and the possibility to bank complete 64 KB banks.
In this case I suppose a Dobbertin RAM-expansion, or better the
Symbiface.

>thanks again :-)
>
>Jurgen

Jurgen

Mar 2, 2006, 2:01:15 PM3/2/06

OK, Thanks again !

Jurgen

Prodatron / SymbiosiS

Mar 3, 2006, 9:57:46 AM3/3/06
> Thanks for all your answers. There's also something I noticed: with 1
> 64k module attached to my CPC664, I seem to have some problems,
> for example SymbOS boots fine, but if I want to start an application, it
> hangs. Same for the 128k game X-out, it hangs while loading.

Does CP/M Plus work on your 664 with this 64K expansion??? If yes, it's
very strange...

> If I try these 2 programs on my CPC6128, they both work fine.
> Could this be an incompatibility with the 664+ 64k configuration, or is my
> memory expansion faulty ?

SymbOS needs #c0 (reset),#c1 (#c000 16k-switch),#c2 (complete 64k
switch) and #c4-#c7 (#4000 16k-switch).
Is your dk'tronics expansion a special version for the 464/664? Maybe
it doesn't support #c2? While booting SymbOS already uses #c0,#c1 and
#c4-#c7. #c2 is only used when running applications.
FYI, the SYMBiFACE II won't support #c3 on a 464/664, as the computer
itself has to support this special banking configuration, and as far as
I heard, the 464/664 don't do so (right?). Fortunately SymbOS and most
other software don't need this config.

CU,
Prodatron

Jurgen

Mar 3, 2006, 12:01:33 PM3/3/06
On Fri, 03 Mar 2006 06:57:46 -0800, Prodatron / SymbiosiS wrote:

>> Thanks for all your answers. There's also something I noticed: with 1
>> 64k module attached to my CPC664, I seem to have some problems,
>> for example SymbOS boots fine, but if I want to start an application, it
>> hangs. Same for the 128k game X-out, it hangs while loading.
>
> Does CP/M Plus work on your 664 with this 64K expansion??? If yes, it's
> very strange...

No idea about CP/M plus, I will try it out.

>> If I try these 2 programs on my CPC6128, they both work fine.
>> Could this be an incompatibility with the 664+ 64k configuration, or is my
>> memory expansion faulty ?
>
> SymbOS needs #c0 (reset),#c1 (#c000 16k-switch),#c2 (complete 64k
> switch) and #c4-#c7 (#4000 16k-switch).
> Is your dk'tronics expansion a special version for the 464/664? Maybe
> it doesn't support #c2? While booting SymbOS already uses #c0,#c1 and
> #c4-#c7. #c2 is only used when running applications.
> FYI, the SYMBiFACE II won't support #c3 on a 464/664, as the computer
> itself has to support this special banking configuration, and as far as
> I heard, the 464/664 don't do so (right?). Fortunately SymbOS and most
> other software don't need this config.

The expansion module can be connected to the 664, but not to the 6128:
the opening around the the 6128's expansion connector is too tight for the
expansion module.

> CU,
> Prodatron

Cheers
Jurgen

Brian Watson

Mar 3, 2006, 1:28:30 PM3/3/06

"Prodatron / SymbiosiS" <mi...@falkag.com> wrote in message

>> Thanks for all your answers. There's also something I noticed: with 1
>> 64k module attached to my CPC664, I seem to have some problems,
>> for example SymbOS boots fine, but if I want to start an application, it
>> hangs. Same for the 128k game X-out, it hangs while loading.
>
> Does CP/M Plus work on your 664 with this 64K expansion??? If yes, it's
> very strange...

CP/M had to be patched to accept my Silidisc. There was a utility supplied
with it to do this.

Made CP/M Protext my preferred version afterwards.

--
Brian

Mikel Erauskin Goyaran

Mar 6, 2006, 8:32:34 AM3/6/06
Hi!

> SymbOS needs #c0 (reset),#c1 (#c000 16k-switch),#c2 (complete 64k
> switch) and #c4-#c7 (#4000 16k-switch).

> #c2 is only used when running applications.

In the past I had problems with my InicronRAMBOX and some programs,
including SymbOS, but I discovered a faulty soldering and it was fixed but
SymbOS still doesn't work, I think mode #c2 is the one my rabox doesn't
support

Maybe only #c0-#c1 and #c4-#c7 is supported?

Could SymbOS manage partialy the Inicrom RAMBOX and instead of 512K, use
part of it, for example 128K extra? (Because of only 1/4 of banking
possible??) that gives 128k (rambox)+64k(base memory)... a plus more than
the inside 128k... Or just try to use almos 64K from the box (The extra 64K
of the 6128K is disabled) so the Inicron box can be used on 464/664... If
there's no way then I'll wait the SymifaceII ;)

See you soon!!

Mikel Erauskin / KaosOverride

Ulala

Mar 8, 2006, 9:23:32 AM3/8/06
> In this case I suppose a Dobbertin RAM-expansion, or better the
> Symbiface.

I'd love one, but so far they don't seem to be available to buy :(

Prodatron / SymbiosiS

Mar 8, 2006, 4:12:16 PM3/8/06
No problem, don't worry, we already started to order the parts for a
second serie, so shortly after the first serie has been delivered
(hopefully next week), Dr.Zed will produce the second one and you can
order it again! :-)
I will re-open the order page as soon as I have the exact details from
Dr.Zed.

CU,
Prodatron

Ulala

Mar 10, 2006, 3:28:00 AM3/10/06

does that mean my existing order is invalid?

Prodatron / SymbiosiS

Mar 12, 2006, 3:17:05 PM3/12/06
Erm, I need to ask Dr.Zed, but don't be afraid, as there is a seconds
serie of 50 pieces currently produced, everyone, who wants a SYMBiFACE
II will get it. This second series is pre-financed by me, so this time
there is no need to wait for enough orders. That means, that this time
there is no delay.

CU,
Prodatron

Prai Jei

Mar 27, 2006, 4:49:50 PM3/27/06
Jurgen (or somebody else of the same name) wrote thusly in message
<pan.2006.03.02....@telenet.be>:

More likely the apps are written for the 6128 and rely either on
undocumented features that were slightly different in the 664, or else on
firmware enhancements. Crucially the firmware call KL_BANK_SWITCH (&BD5B)
was not present in the 664 firmware so any program calling this function on
a 664 is likely to hang or reset.

Try CALLing this address from Basic - without parameters - on each machine.
This gives a call to the routine with A=0 to tell it to select the "normal"
configuration. It should return without comment on the 6128. If it hangs on
the 664, that's the problem pinned down - those apps simply won't go on the
664.
--
They should put out an email to say that the email system is down.

Interchange the alphabetic letter groups to reply

Prai Jei

Mar 27, 2006, 4:59:40 PM3/27/06
Prodatron / SymbiosiS (or somebody else of the same name) wrote thusly in
message <1141397866....@i39g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>:

The dk' unit supported all the modes, since the configration I was running
for a time consisted of a 464 (with 6128 ROM) and a dk' 256K unit, and
CP/M+ ran on this setup without a hitch.

Richard Fairhurst

Mar 28, 2006, 2:41:12 AM3/28/06
Prai Jei wrote:

> Prodatron wrote:
> > FYI, the SYMBiFACE II won't support #c3 on a 464/664, as the computer
> > itself has to support this special banking configuration, and as far as
> > I heard, the 464/664 don't do so (right?). Fortunately SymbOS and most
> > other software don't need this config.
>
> The dk' unit supported all the modes, since the configration I was running
> for a time consisted of a 464 (with 6128 ROM) and a dk' 256K unit, and
> CP/M+ ran on this setup without a hitch.

It's not 100% compatibility. From the dk'Tronics manual:

"3. If code 3 is used [i.e. &C3], reads from &4000 to &7FFF, on CPC 464
and 664 machines, will only return the correct data if the upper ROM is
disabled. This is at variance with CPC 6128 operation, but is unlikely
to be a significant difference."

ISTR CP/M Plus needed to be patched (slightly) to work properly on a
464 or 664.

Richard

Brian Watson

Mar 28, 2006, 6:05:10 AM3/28/06

"Richard Fairhurst" <rich...@systemeD.net> wrote in message

> ISTR CP/M Plus needed to be patched (slightly) to work properly on a
> 464 or 664.

It did, and so did my 6128.

--
Brian

Jurgen

Mar 28, 2006, 1:00:15 PM3/28/06
On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 22:49:50 +0100, Prai Jei wrote:

> Jurgen (or somebody else of the same name) wrote thusly in message

Hey, it IS me :-)

> <pan.2006.03.02....@telenet.be>:

<snip>>

> Try CALLing this address from Basic - without parameters - on each machine.
> This gives a call to the routine with A=0 to tell it to select the "normal"
> configuration. It should return without comment on the 6128. If it hangs on
> the 664, that's the problem pinned down - those apps simply won't go on the
> 664.

Hey thanks, that's interesting.
I already suspected something, also because of an article I read in one
of the Amstrad Action magazines (cpc oxygen); it explains how to
turn a 464/664 into a 6128 by not only adding a memory expansion, but also
replacing the ROM by a 6128 ROM,

cheers,
Jurgen

Prai Jei

Mar 28, 2006, 2:18:51 PM3/28/06
Richard Fairhurst (or somebody else of the same name) wrote thusly in
message <1143531672.7...@e56g2000cwe.googlegroups.com>:

> It's not 100% compatibility. From the dk'Tronics manual:
>
> "3. If code 3 is used [i.e. &C3], reads from &4000 to &7FFF, on CPC 464
> and 664 machines, will only return the correct data if the upper ROM is
> disabled. This is at variance with CPC 6128 operation, but is unlikely
> to be a significant difference."

I would be interested to know if this were a hardware or software variance.
Note that I had a 6128 ROM installed in my 464. I had a ROM based utility
(an in-line debugger) which *used* mode &c3 from upper ROM, and there were
no problems with it.

Prai Jei

Mar 28, 2006, 2:19:46 PM3/28/06
<pan.2006.03.28....@telenet.be>:

> On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 22:49:50 +0100, Prai Jei wrote:
>
>> Jurgen (or somebody else of the same name) wrote thusly in message
>
> Hey, it IS me :-)

Just hedging my bets :)))