A1200 with 8MB Hawk ???

Ian Jamison

Sep 24, 1994, 3:26:31 PM9/24/94

I've got a A1200 with an Amitek Hawk card. I'm having
problems making an 8MB SIMM work in it. 4MB is no problem,
but 8MB fails the RAM test and definitely doesn't work.
I'm using known good 72-pin 2Mx36 (8MByte) SIMMs of 70ns
speed (Tested in a SPARCstation clone - I've tried several).
I've got the jumpers set correctly according to the hawk
manual. The RAMtest reports the correct amount of RAM, as
does the WB top line, however it fails test and crashes the
machine if I try to use it (mem list corruption during free).

I'd like to quote a few lines from the Hawk manual and the A1200
manual here...

Amitek HAWK Ram Board Accelerator
Once installed in the A1200s trapdoor the AMITEK 1200
board provides 1MB, 2MB, 4MB or 8MB of 32-bit FAST RAM.

The AMITEK expansion board has one SIMM socket that can be
populated with 1MB, 2MB, 4MB or 8MB SIMMs.

C= Amiga A1200 User's Guide
Up to 4MB of 32-bit Fast RAM can be added using the CPU slot.
An additional 4MB of 16-bit memory can be added using the
PCMCIA memory card slot.

Appendix A - Technical Specifications
Fast Memory Expandable to 4MB of 32-bit RAM in CPU slot,
additional 4MB of 16-bit RAM in PCMCIA card slot.

OK, so one of them's lying, and the evidence points to Amitek.
Needless to say I'm fairly pissed off. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Can anyone out there help me resolve this apparent contradiction and
tell me whether the Hawk is actually capable of giving me 8MB Fast RAM
like their adverts claim?

Many Thanks,
Ian Jamison.

Stanley Anderson

Sep 25, 1994, 1:22:47 AM9/25/94
Ian Jamison <ia...@meiko.co.uk> writes:

>Can anyone out there help me resolve this apparent contradiction and
>tell me whether the Hawk is actually capable of giving me 8MB Fast RAM
>like their adverts claim?

Altho I've no personally used a SIMM larger than 4 meg in either of my
1200's, I've seen reports from users who've used 8 megs, so I would
expect the Hawk to accept 8 megs okay; mebbe the board has a problem...
can you try another?

BTW, Paravision (Microbotics), CSA, and GVP all claim 8 meg (or higher)
capability for A1200 boards here in the states.

Stan Anderson

Joel Corn

Sep 25, 1994, 4:11:29 PM9/25/94

In article <ZwxUwqn....@delphi.com> Stanley Anderson <ande...@delphi.com> writes:

> Ian Jamison <ia...@meiko.co.uk> writes:
>

> BTW, Paravision (Microbotics), CSA, and GVP all claim 8 meg (or higher)
> capability for A1200 boards here in the states.

True. I have a 16 meg SIMM in my 12 Gauge. Works like a champ.

Joel

* Joel A. Corn - Owner/Head Programmer - DarkSoft Computers *
* email:dark...@golden.ncw.net - phone/fax:509-886-0581 *