Não é mais possível fazer postagens ou usar assinaturas novas da Usenet nos Grupos do Google. O conteúdo histórico continua disponível.

New WWW Amiga Browsers?

1 visualização
Pular para a primeira mensagem não lida

David Waters

não lida,
21 de out. de 1995, 03:00:0021/10/1995
para
Would someone direct me to an information source (on-line or print) that
tells about Amiga WWW Browsers that support in-line graphics/images? I'd
appreciate a short update/FAQ on the status of WWW browsers for the Amiga
and the consequences of using MUI. Also, if anyone knows of a commercial
program under development or soon to be released, please inform me.

I understand that Amiga Technologies has no intention of adopting MUI and
I'd rather avoid it and stick to the standard OS (networking 3 Amigas and
lots of software for multimedia and video production). Besides, my A4000
is still running WB3.0 and the other machines (A3000 & A2000) are running
WB2.1.

David "Squeezing the last drop out of my Amigas!" Waters
--
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
_/ David C. Waters, Jr. _/_/ Owner Since 1991-Experience Since 1979 _/

Rask Lambertsen

não lida,
23 de out. de 1995, 03:00:0023/10/1995
para
On Sat, 21 Oct 1995 20:41:18 GMT David Waters (mba...@netcom.com) wrote:
> Would someone direct me to an information source (on-line or print) that
> tells about Amiga WWW Browsers that support in-line graphics/images? I'd

Here is a few URL's:
http://www.omnipresence.com/AMosaic/
http://www.omnipresence.com/ibrowse/
http://sweet.ua.pt/~celso/juggler/
http://www.eskimo.com/~thought/overview.html
http://metro.turnpike.net/N/NiallT/hotjava.html

> appreciate a short update/FAQ on the status of WWW browsers for the Amiga
> and the consequences of using MUI. Also, if anyone knows of a commercial

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
For the user:
1) Lack of GUI speed.
2) Big memory usage.
3) Lots and lots of crashes.

For the programmer:
4) Easier construction of GUI (so they say, I don't know personally).
5) Lots of complaints from users about crashes.

*Before* any of you MUI lovers decide to flame me for this, I'll point out
that the AMosaic mailing list almost entirely consists of messages
regarding 1), 2), 3) or 5) in one form or the other.

> program under development or soon to be released, please inform me.

> I understand that Amiga Technologies has no intention of adopting MUI and

Thank god.

> I'd rather avoid it and stick to the standard OS (networking 3 Amigas and
> lots of software for multimedia and video production). Besides, my A4000
> is still running WB3.0 and the other machines (A3000 & A2000) are running
> WB2.1.

Some of the WWW browsers under development won't require MUI :-)

--
Regards,

/¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯\
| Rask Ingemann Lambertsen | E-mail: gc94...@gbar.dtu.dk |
| Amiga GNU CC README maintainer | WWW: http://srv2.gbar.dtu.dk:8001/Rask/ |
| Keyboard error: <Ctrl> and <Alt> are stuck - press <Del> to continue |

Eric Webb

não lida,
24 de out. de 1995, 03:00:0024/10/1995
para
David Waters (mba...@netcom.com) wrote:
: and the consequences of using MUI. Also, if anyone knows of a commercial
: program under development or soon to be released, please inform me.

I have one that I'd like to throw onto the listing - it's still in the
same stages as I-Browse, but will end up doing much more :)

--
.------------------------///----------------------------------------------.
| From the Mind of: /// Only Amiga for | gt7...@prism.gatech.edu |

Total Chaos - The NEW Amiga Edge. http://ttlchaos.randomc.com/

"You can go from boom to bust, from dreams to a bowl of dust,
You can go from rockets' red glare, down to brother can you spare -
Another war, another wasteland, and another lost generation.."
-Rush "Between the Wheels"

Stefan Burstrom

não lida,
25 de out. de 1995, 03:00:0025/10/1995
para
On 23-Oct-95 13:17:07 Rask Lambertsen (gc94...@tycho.gbar.dtu.dk) wrote:
>> appreciate a short update/FAQ on the status of WWW browsers for the Amiga
>> and the consequences of using MUI. Also, if anyone knows of a commercial
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>For the user:
>1) Lack of GUI speed.
>2) Big memory usage.
>3) Lots and lots of crashes.

>For the programmer:
>4) Easier construction of GUI (so they say, I don't know personally).
>5) Lots of complaints from users about crashes.

>*Before* any of you MUI lovers decide to flame me for this, I'll point out
>that the AMosaic mailing list almost entirely consists of messages
>regarding 1), 2), 3) or 5) in one form or the other.

Wrong.
1. I havn't seen this in many many weeks. (And the one I saw was like
'Why isn't my 256color pubscreen as fast as my 8 col wb.'
2. Guess what? AMosaic itself uses ~600K and that is even without MUI
You can add ~100K ~150K for a built in gui in AMosaic. Not much gained,
only ~10%
3. Wrong wrong and wrong. I have told people hundres of times that AMosaic
crashing is _not_ caused by MUI, but people seem to forget that very
quickly.
4. The choice was quite obvoius when the development started (2 years ago).
5. Yeah. Well, isn't 8n1.device using MUI too. Why? Well, it crashes ;)

>Some of the WWW browsers under development won't require MUI :-)

And some of them wont be finished this year.

 ° ° ° o °
o ° O ° ° ° o ° °
>> Real life: Stefan Burstroem << °>> Omnipresence Intl. << >> Irc: Yabba <<
>> Phone/Fax: +46 (0)40 - 44 12 27 << >> EMail: f94...@efd.lth.se <<
° ° o O ° ° ° °
° ° ° ° ° o ° ° ° o

sedu...@awod.com

não lida,
25 de out. de 1995, 03:00:0025/10/1995
para
The best source for info about Amiga resources on the net is the Amiga Web Page at:

http://www.prarienet.org/community/clubs/cucug/amiga.html

Hope that helps...

Pat Beaulieu

não lida,
26 de out. de 1995, 03:00:0026/10/1995
para

>David Waters posted the following:
>: Would someone direct me to an information source (on-line or print) that

>: tells about Amiga WWW Browsers that support in-line graphics/images? I'd

What is an in-line graphic/image?

Madhu Surendranath

não lida,
27 de out. de 1995, 03:00:0027/10/1995
para
Well, read this (out of Amiga Format December 1995) ....

A question directed to Amiga Technologies UK's Jonathan Anderson....

Q : Are there any plans to release an Internet bundle A1200? Will Amiga
Technologies support development of internet software for the Amiga?

A : I recently saw in Germany a beta version of the .net software which is
simple to use. Our intention is to include support for the internet next year.
This will be included on Workbench.

Now the question is, what is ".net", and who's developing it? Digita?

Madhu.

+--+-----------------------------+---------------------------------+--+
| _/_/_/_/ _/_/_/ _/_/_/_/ | Madhu Surendranath |
| _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ | Fourth Year Computer Scientist |
| _/ _/ _/ _/_/_/ _/ _/ | Brunel University, Uxbridge, UK |
| _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/_/_/_/ | "One man CAN make a difference..." |
+--+-----------------------------+---------------------------------+--+

Vid Pecjak

não lida,
28 de out. de 1995, 03:00:0028/10/1995
para

Hi:

I would like to buy Final Calc, but there are some things I read here
that bug me.

Is this true that you can export picture as IFF or print high quality
using postscript? Is there really lacking the most important option - to
save/print as EPS so you can import to a word publisher?

I heard of some bugs. I wonder if the patches are going to be online on
aminet also. I have problems buying a product and then getting updates
acros half the world, when the custom in my country charges me for every
update 40% of the full price of the pack. Please do make patches
available to aminet.

Jernej

James McArthur

não lida,
29 de out. de 1995, 02:00:0029/10/1995
para
G'Day Alan L.M. Buxey, you wrote:
: : On 23-Oct-95 13:17:07 Rask Lambertsen (gc94...@tycho.gbar.dtu.dk) wrote:
: : >1) Lack of GUI speed.

: get an Amiga with a more sensible speed then ;)

Adopt MS ideology; bigger is better :-)

: : >2) Big memory usage.

: big?? 150 K (at most..) how much memory do you waste on all the
: WBStartUp items you have? i lose over 100 K just on my env: stuff.

I only installed mui.library, none of the classes etc, so an installed mui in
this form is small. And 100k for env's! I'd love to see what yours is like,
coz mine is about 500k ;-)

: : >3) Lots and lots of crashes.

: ??? I run MUI based apps day after day with no crashes.

Except the occasional crash by AMosaic after I have left the thing going for
a week :-)

: : >For the programmer:

: : >4) Easier construction of GUI (so they say, I don't know personally).

: --basically click and play contruction :)

: : >5) Lots of complaints from users about crashes.

: ...which casn be ignored if it has nothing to do with THEIR coding ;)

Considering the majority of people that complain about MUI have very little
coding experience anyway. (now, I didnt say ALL, just MOST)

: alan
: --
: .-Kill The CJA's Usage-.|Lev|UKCrspdntForAR.I'veGotE-Cash!!.50MHz030/882Amiga
: | Alan L.M. Buxey BSc. ||ell|"TheresOnlyOneWayOfLife.AndThatsYourOWNThatsYour
: |kc...@solx1.susx.ac.uk||ers|(UK-(0)-1273-389267|OWNThatsYourOwn!"-Levellers.
: `I use PGP2.6ui-Do you?'|PVM| )cratchBBS.RocketNET/MAXsNET/I.S.S.Member.14.4K

--
___ ___ ______ ______ ______ ______ ___ ___ ______
/ /__/ // ___ \ / _____\_/ _____\_/\_/ ___ \/ /__/ // ___ \

Stefan Burstrom

não lida,
30 de out. de 1995, 03:00:0030/10/1995
para
On 26-Oct-95 13:18:42 Rask Lambertsen (gc94...@lorenz.gbar.dtu.dk) wrote:
>> >For the user:

>> >1) Lack of GUI speed.
>> >2) Big memory usage.

>> >3) Lots and lots of crashes.

>> >For the programmer:

>> >4) Easier construction of GUI (so they say, I don't know personally).

>> >5) Lots of complaints from users about crashes.

>> >*Before* any of you MUI lovers decide to flame me for this, I'll point out

>> >that the AMosaic mailing list almost entirely consists of messages
>> >regarding 1), 2), 3) or 5) in one form or the other.

>> Wrong.
>> 1. I havn't seen this in many many weeks. (And the one I saw was like
>> 'Why isn't my 256color pubscreen as fast as my 8 col wb.'

>What about all the messages like "AMosaic crashes when it tried to display
>the form at http://..." or "AMosaic gives the message 'Constructing form' and
>then crashes"?

>People don't stop having this problem overnight, they may stop posting
>about it when they are told that

Hm, how is this related to 1. above?

>> 2. Guess what? AMosaic itself uses ~600K and that is even without MUI
>> You can add ~100K ~150K for a built in gui in AMosaic. Not much gained,
>> only ~10%

>You don't seriously mean that a non-MUI GUI would take 100-150 kB, do you?

Just compare Grapevine and Amirc.
GV takes ~300K and Amirc takes ~130K. That is a rough picture even though
Gv hasn't much of a gui.

>> 3. Wrong wrong and wrong. I have told people hundres of times that AMosaic
>> crashing is _not_ caused by MUI, but people seem to forget that very
>> quickly.

>Bull*. The problem of AMosaic crashing when you back up to a previously
>displayed form page is related closely to MUI. This has even been explained
>on the mailing list (which you are also on, aren't you?).

Wrong! It is not caused by MUI. It is caused by a nasty hack I wrote to give
some of you (since it is working for some people) forms. I have explained this
numbers of times on the lists that forms under MUI2.3 is a hack and it may
be unstable. Besides, I wonder why forms (and images since they are handled
as objects) never crashes IBrowse ;)
The reason why I havn't bothered to fix this hack is that I try to spend all
my available time on IBrowse.

>> 5. Yeah. Well, isn't 8n1.device using MUI too. Why? Well, it crashes ;)

>8n1.device doesn't use MUI. And FUI, I haven't managed to make it crash
>my system.

Well, it has crashed my system numbers of times.

>> >Some of the WWW browsers under development won't require MUI :-)

>> And some of them wont be finished this year.

>And MUI 3.0, which is said to make the forms *not* crash probably won't be
>finished this year either. And MUI 3.0 is badly needed to make AMosaic
>usable. What are you trying to say?

1st. By using MUI, I have reduced the development time by ~50%
2nd. MUI3.0 is not very far away. It will definitely be released before
the end of this year.

Ric Fischer

v...@uhunix.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Vid Pecjak) wrote:

>Is this true that you can export picture as IFF or print high quality
>using postscript? Is there really lacking the most important option - to

You can print graphs to any of LaserJet, Postscript or Preferences
printers.

>save/print as EPS so you can import to a word publisher?

My testing has shown that this feature is not yet implemented
correctly. The author is working with me on getting this corrected.

Also, "most important option" is a matter of opinion. I find some of
the other features far more useful.

>Please do make patches available to aminet.

We are considering doing this. However, I can make no promises.

- Ric Fischer
- SoftWood Tech Support
- CompuServe email: 75300,670
- GEnie email: SoftWood
- Internet: 7530...@compuserve.com
soft...@genie.geis.com

On 30 Oct 1995 00:33:01 GMT Stefan Burstrom (burs...@df.lth.se) wrote:

> >> Wrong.
> >> 1. I havn't seen this in many many weeks. (And the one I saw was like
> >> 'Why isn't my 256color pubscreen as fast as my 8 col wb.'

> >What about all the messages like "AMosaic crashes when it tried to display
> >the form at http://..." or "AMosaic gives the message 'Constructing form' and
> >then crashes"?

> >People don't stop having this problem overnight, they may stop posting
> >about it when they are told that

> Hm, how is this related to 1. above?

Since people are told that nothing will be done to fix the problem, they
will probably stop complaining so much.
(and what a nice way of removing an important line from the quote)

> >You don't seriously mean that a non-MUI GUI would take 100-150 kB, do you?

> Just compare Grapevine and Amirc.

Actually, don't. We are talking about a GUI for AMosaic. Those few buttons
surely wouldn't take 100-150K to code without MUI.

> >> And some of them wont be finished this year.

> >And MUI 3.0, which is said to make the forms *not* crash probably won't be
> >finished this year either. And MUI 3.0 is badly needed to make AMosaic
> >usable. What are you trying to say?

> 1st. By using MUI, I have reduced the development time by ~50%

You also don't have working forms.

> 2nd. MUI3.0 is not very far away. It will definitely be released before
> the end of this year.

It was supposed to finished by the summer, this is now some months ago.
I won't believe is will be finished before the year before it is actually
finished.

Joshua Galun

não lida,
3 de nov. de 1995, 03:00:0003/11/1995
para
Rask Lambertsen (gc94...@erlang.gbar.dtu.dk) wrote:

: > 1st. By using MUI, I have reduced the development time by ~50%

: You also don't have working forms.

Just FYI, he was talking about IBrowse, not AMosaic, and I don't
think you've used IBrowse, have you? :-)

/// Joshua Galun \\\
/// Business Manager for Creative Edge Software \\\
\\\/// Check out our WWW page at http://outland.cyberwar.com/~zool \\\///
\\\/ The Amiga, JRR Tolkien, and The Simpsons. 'Nuff said. \///

Christopher D. Judd

Date: Fri, 3 Nov 95 11:16:42

In article <47brb1$1...@bandit.cyberwar.com> zo...@outland.cyberwar.com (Joshua Galun) writes:
> Rask Lambertsen (gc94...@erlang.gbar.dtu.dk) wrote:
>
> : > 1st. By using MUI, I have reduced the development time by ~50%
>
> : You also don't have working forms.
>
> Just FYI, he was talking about IBrowse, not AMosaic, and I don't
> think you've used IBrowse, have you? :-)

And AMosaic does now have working forms.

-Chris

| Christopher D. Judd |
| Rensselaer Polytechnic Inst. ju...@rpi.edu NLO & spectroscopy: |
| Dept. of Chemistry 518 276-8982 Fun with photons |
| Troy, NY 12180-3590 |

Shaun Downend

não lida,
4 de nov. de 1995, 03:00:0004/11/1995
para

Hello John Shiali (jo...@heights.demon.co.uk), on 04-Nov-95 17:29:22 you
wrote...

>> And AMosaic does now have working forms.
>>

> ^^^^^^^
> Many people would disagree with you here... I quite like AMosaic, but
> opening and closing forms are *guarenteed* to crash it within 6
> acesses on my machine...

I had this problem but with a stack of 50000 it is a lot more stable. It still
doesn't display some forms properly though :(

Shaun.
--
<sb>
|> sha...@amiganut.demon.co.uk | AGA 68030 @ 50Mhz with FPU/MMU _<|

Every successful person has had failures but repeated failure is no guarantee
of eventual success.

John Shiali

In article <47dbvs$p...@usenet.rpi.edu> c...@gmk02.chem.rpi.edu (Christopher D. Judd) writes:

> In article <47brb1$1...@bandit.cyberwar.com> zo...@outland.cyberwar.com (Joshua Galun) writes:
> > Rask Lambertsen (gc94...@erlang.gbar.dtu.dk) wrote:
> >
> > : > 1st. By using MUI, I have reduced the development time by ~50%
> >
> > : You also don't have working forms.
> >
> > Just FYI, he was talking about IBrowse, not AMosaic, and I don't
> > think you've used IBrowse, have you? :-)
> >

> And AMosaic does now have working forms.

^^^^^^^

Many people would disagree with you here... I quite like AMosaic, but
opening and closing forms are *guarenteed* to crash it within 6
acesses on my machine...

--

John -
"Nice computer, but I couldn't eat a whole one....."

John Shiali

não lida,
5 de nov. de 1995, 03:00:0005/11/1995
para

> >> And AMosaic does now have working forms.
> >>
> > ^^^^^^^
> > Many people would disagree with you here... I quite like AMosaic, but
> > opening and closing forms are *guarenteed* to crash it within 6
> > acesses on my machine...
>

> I had this problem but with a stack of 50000 it is a lot more stable. It still
> doesn't display some forms properly though :(

I'm using a 60000 stack and it makes no difference - form are just a
"hack" as the authors themselves have stated.

Per Espen Hagen

Joshua Galun <zo...@outland.cyberwar.com> wrote:
> Rask Lambertsen (gc94...@erlang.gbar.dtu.dk) wrote:

>: > 1st. By using MUI, I have reduced the development time by ~50%

>: You also don't have working forms.

> Just FYI, he was talking about IBrowse, not AMosaic, and I don't
> think you've used IBrowse, have you? :-)

I would even think *he* (Stefan B.) has "working forms" in AMosaic, as he
has a copy of MUI 3.0 :-)

Per Espen Hagen --------------------------------------------------
Senior Scientist // Image Processing Group FFI, Norway
p...@ffi.no http://www.norconnect.no/~perespen Tel. +47 63807653
-------------- \X/4k --------------------------------------------

Len Lekx

não lida,
5 de nov. de 1995, 03:00:0005/11/1995
para
In article <47dbvs$p...@usenet.rpi.edu> c...@gmk02.chem.rpi.edu (Christopher D. Judd) writes:

> > : You also don't have working forms.

> And AMosaic does now have working forms.

It does? I've tried using forms with the pre-release version of AMosaic
(2.0)... when I try to send the info I've entered into the form, it promptly
crashes.

(Maybe it just doesn't like me... ^_^)

--

Len Lekx IRC Nick: Nammo | Television does not honour tradition.
InterNet: LFL...@Booster.Tor.HookUp.NET | Most times, it does not recognize it.

Trevor Daley

não lida,
6 de nov. de 1995, 03:00:0006/11/1995
para

On 04-Nov-95 17:29:22 John Shiali wrote about Re: New WWW Amiga Browsers?, so
I though I would say...

JS> Many people would disagree with you here... I quite like AMosaic, but
JS> opening and closing forms are *guarenteed* to crash it within 6
JS> acesses on my machine...

Yes I do disagree, I also use Amosaic (with forms) and have not had a crash
for many months. opening and closing forms is *_NOT_* *_GUARENTEED_* to crash
Amosaic, using MUI2.3 is what crashes Amosaic, as soon as MUI3.0 is publicly
released you will no longer have troubles with Amosaic.
If Ibrowes is released now, I am sure you would still have the same trouble.

Ciao, Trev.

+---------------------------------+-----------------------------+
| * | |
| Trevor Daley | E-Mail:- tld...@world.net |
| 3/25 Dwyer Road * * | Phone:- ++61 8 377-2940 |
| Oaklands Park * | Mobile Phone:- 0419 814 732 |
| South Australia 5046 | |
| Australia * | AMIGA A1200/40megHD/7megRAM |
| | |
+---------------------------------+-----------------------------+

Diplomacy (n): a continuation of war by other means.

In article <1368.6518...@world.net> tld...@world.net (Trevor Daley) writes:

> On 04-Nov-95 17:29:22 John Shiali wrote about Re: New WWW Amiga Browsers?, so
> I though I would say...
>
> JS> Many people would disagree with you here... I quite like AMosaic, but
> JS> opening and closing forms are *guarenteed* to crash it within 6
> JS> acesses on my machine...
>
> Yes I do disagree, I also use Amosaic (with forms) and have not had a crash
> for many months. opening and closing forms is *_NOT_* *_GUARENTEED_* to crash

Read the above again - you disagree that:

> JS> opening and closing forms are *guarenteed* to crash it within 6
> JS> acesses on my machine...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

How would you know what happens on my machine? Come round here and I'l
show you... :)

> Amosaic, using MUI2.3 is what crashes Amosaic, as soon as MUI3.0 is publicly
> released you will no longer have troubles with Amosaic.
> If Ibrowes is released now, I am sure you would still have the same trouble.

Well as neither is available, and many people report this problem, I'm
still correct in saying that Amosaic (the only one currently
available) with MUI 2.3 (the only one currently available) crashes
with forms on my machine.

Do you have MUI 3.0, or IBrowse and can tell everyone here that it
cures all the shortcomings people have complained about? I'd be
interested to know, as I'm quite interested in buying IBrowse when
it's available if it's a better product than Amosaic.

Or are you just talking out of your hat? :)

James McArthur (jam...@nutmeg.it.ntu.edu.au) wrote:
: : : >3) Lots and lots of crashes.

: : ??? I run MUI based apps day after day with no crashes.

: Except the occasional crash by AMosaic after I have left the thing going for
: a week :-)

I must interject here.. just *which* version is everyone using..? Which
version are YOU using? 1.2 runs fine, but doesn't include shit. I've
grabbed the latest versions (1.4 with some patches).. that Include forms..
and it crashes horridly. Press the arrow keys to scroll a page, and it
crashes instantly. If you play with forms too much (going back and forth
between them in such a manner that AM gets confused), it crashes like a
pig. Occaisionally, the geek even locks up on resizing, iconification,
and other stupid garbage.

Wether or not it's MUI's fault, I'm not sure. All I know is that I'm
seeing VERY little being done about it. When I see any action, I might
support it, but currently my choice is to write my freaking own!! (and
along the way fill in some open Amiga niches as well..) And no, I don't
want to incorporate the hassle I've encountered with MUI just so that
anyone else can repeat them. I'd rather do things by hand (It's *NOT*
that hard to write an Amiga-based GUI! GEEZ!)

Giovanni Addabbo

não lida,
6 de nov. de 1995, 03:00:0006/11/1995
para
On 04-Nov-95 17:29:22 John Shiali wrote to All,
about <Re: New WWW Amiga Browsers?>:

>> And AMosaic does now have working forms.
>>

> ^^^^^^^

>Many people would disagree with you here... I quite like AMosaic, but

>opening and closing forms are *guarenteed* to crash it within 6

>acesses on my machine...

Yes, my experience is perfectly the same.

Best Regards,

Giovanni Addabbo

Alan L.M. Buxey

não lida,
6 de nov. de 1995, 03:00:0006/11/1995
para
John Shiali posted the following:

: > And AMosaic does now have working forms.
: >

: Many people would disagree with you here... I quite like AMosaic, but

: opening and closing forms are *guarenteed* to crash it within 6
: acesses on my machine...

i agree, but the crashes are NOT caused by MUI, they are from AMosaic.

James McArthur

não lida,
8 de nov. de 1995, 03:00:0008/11/1995
para
G'Day Eric Webb, you wrote:

: James McArthur (jam...@nutmeg.it.ntu.edu.au) wrote:
: : : : >3) Lots and lots of crashes.

: : : ??? I run MUI based apps day after day with no crashes.

: : Except the occasional crash by AMosaic after I have left the thing going for
: : a week :-)

: I must interject here.. just *which* version is everyone using..? Which
: version are YOU using? 1.2 runs fine, but doesn't include shit. I've
: grabbed the latest versions (1.4 with some patches).. that Include forms..
: and it crashes horridly. Press the arrow keys to scroll a page, and it
: crashes instantly. If you play with forms too much (going back and forth
: between them in such a manner that AM gets confused), it crashes like a
: pig. Occaisionally, the geek even locks up on resizing, iconification,
: and other stupid garbage.

Well, its AMosaic 2.0 Aug 4 1995 version on an Amiga 4000/030 10Mb, on
its own screen. The longest time it was running for was when I went away
for eight days and left the computer going (oops)

: Wether or not it's MUI's fault, I'm not sure. All I know is that I'm

: seeing VERY little being done about it. When I see any action, I might
: support it, but currently my choice is to write my freaking own!! (and
: along the way fill in some open Amiga niches as well..) And no, I don't
: want to incorporate the hassle I've encountered with MUI just so that
: anyone else can repeat them. I'd rather do things by hand (It's *NOT*
: that hard to write an Amiga-based GUI! GEEZ!)

Well, AMosaic works fine for me, considering that its still a beta version.

: --

: .------------------------///----------------------------------------------.
: `-----------------\\\///--------------------------------------------------'

: Total Chaos - The NEW Amiga Edge. http://ttlchaos.randomc.com/

: "You can go from boom to bust, from dreams to a bowl of dust,
: You can go from rockets' red glare, down to brother can you spare -
: Another war, another wasteland, and another lost generation.."
: -Rush "Between the Wheels"

howard daniel joseph

não lida,
9 de nov. de 1995, 03:00:0009/11/1995
para
Eric Webb (gt7...@acmey.gatech.edu) wrote:
: seeing VERY little being done about it. When I see any action, I might
: support it, but currently my choice is to write my freaking own!! (and
: along the way fill in some open Amiga niches as well..) And no, I don't
: want to incorporate the hassle I've encountered with MUI just so that
: anyone else can repeat them. I'd rather do things by hand (It's *NOT*
: that hard to write an Amiga-based GUI! GEEZ!)

Then stop bitching and write your freaking own already! You're
just wasting time getting us a good browser!

--
=====///====================================================================
====///=======This message brought to you by dann...@uiuc.edu==============

David Jarvis

Trevor Daley <tld...@world.net> wrote:

>On 04-Nov-95 17:29:22 John Shiali wrote about Re: New WWW Amiga Browsers?, so
>I though I would say...
>
> JS> Many people would disagree with you here... I quite like AMosaic, but
> JS> opening and closing forms are *guarenteed* to crash it within 6
> JS> acesses on my machine...
>
>Yes I do disagree, I also use Amosaic (with forms) and have not had a crash
>for many months. opening and closing forms is *_NOT_* *_GUARENTEED_* to crash
>Amosaic, using MUI2.3 is what crashes Amosaic, as soon as MUI3.0 is publicly
>released you will no longer have troubles with Amosaic.
>If Ibrowes is released now, I am sure you would still have the same trouble.

Working forms? Great! Let me at those databases with Boolean searches!!!!!

I only have one thing to say - since I registered MUI last week, I can't wait till I get
3.0 in the mail....!

David Jarvis

****!! Aaaghh! I'm lost in here and I can't get out !!****

Alan L.M. Buxey (kc...@central.susx.ac.uk) wrote:

: i agree, but the crashes are NOT caused by MUI, they are from AMosaic.

According to Stephan Burgstrom, the forms problems are from MUI
2.3, and not AMosaic.

Mark van der Molen

não lida,
10 de nov. de 1995, 03:00:0010/11/1995
para
On 09-Nov-95 13:21:27 Joshua Galun (zo...@outland.cyberwar.com) wrote :

>Alan L.M. Buxey (kc...@central.susx.ac.uk) wrote:

>: i agree, but the crashes are NOT caused by MUI, they are from AMosaic.

> According to Stephan Burgstrom, the forms problems are from MUI
>2.3, and not AMosaic.

I just don't believe that, mosaic has to be the worst written program on amiga
and i've never had any crashes with mui progs besides mosaic

Mark van der Molen

Brought to you by El...@stack.urc.tue.nl....Amiga 1200/020 28 mhz, 4 meg
fast, 2 meg chip memory,two 250 meg harddrives, Epson stylus printer,
2x Cdrom drive, 1942 monitor, dynalink modem ElvisP on #amiga

Top 25 programmers excuses #08
The user has made an error again.

Michael M. Rye

não lida,
13 de nov. de 1995, 03:00:0013/11/1995
para
LFL...@Booster.Tor.HookUp.NET (Len Lekx) wrote:
> In article <47dbvs$p...@usenet.rpi.edu> c...@gmk02.chem.rpi.edu (Christopher D. Judd) writes:

> > > : You also don't have working forms.

> > And AMosaic does now have working forms.

> It does? I've tried using forms with the pre-release version of AMosaic

> (2.0)... when I try to send the info I've entered into the form, it promptly
> crashes.

> (Maybe it just doesn't like me... ^_^)

> Len Lekx IRC Nick: Nammo | Television does not honour tradition.

Try increasing the stack size that AMosaic uses in the icon
"Information". I use about 100 K. Hasn't crashed for me since I
changed it.

*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*
* -Michael M. Rye- (Jedi) | Amiga 1200, ‘030 50 MHz, ‘882 50 MHz, *
* 17...@topcity.mn.org | 6 MB RAM, 850 MB HD *
*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*
* Thought of the Day: *
* I am Homer, of Borg. You will be ......... mmmmmmmmm, doughnuts! *
*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*

Michael M. Rye

não lida,
14 de nov. de 1995, 03:00:0014/11/1995
para
John Shiali <jo...@heights.demon.co.uk> wrote:
:> In article <867.6516T...@amiganut.demon.co.uk> sha...@amiganut.demon.co.uk (Shaun Downend) writes:

:> >> And AMosaic does now have working forms.
:> >>
:> > ^^^^^^^
:> > Many people would disagree with you here... I quite like AMosaic, but
:> > opening and closing forms are *guarenteed* to crash it within 6
:> > acesses on my machine...

:>
:> I had this problem but with a stack of 50000 it is a lot more stable. It still
:> doesn't display some forms properly though :(

> I'm using a 60000 stack and it makes no difference - form are just a
> "hack" as the authors themselves have stated.

> John -

Funny, I'm using 128K for stack size. And AMosaic has only crashed
once in the entire time I've used it. I think that was because one
of my other TCP clients messed up an environment variable.

In article <487n08$2...@news.mr.net> "Michael M. Rye" <17...@topcity.mn.org> writes:

> > > And AMosaic does now have working forms.

> > It does? I've tried using forms with the pre-release version of AMosaic
> > (2.0)... when I try to send the info I've entered into the form, it promptly
> > crashes.

> Try increasing the stack size that AMosaic uses in the icon
> "Information". I use about 100 K. Hasn't crashed for me since I
> changed it.

Already done. And it seems to work fine now.

--

Len Lekx IRC Nick: Nammo | Television does not honour tradition.

Uwe Sigurd Valentin Kubosch

não lida,
16 de nov. de 1995, 03:00:0016/11/1995

<17...@topcity.mn.org> writes:

> > Try increasing the stack size that AMosaic uses in the icon
> > "Information". I use about 100 K. Hasn't crashed for me since I
> > changed it.
>
> Already done. And it seems to work fine now.

Shouldn't AMosaic check for a decent stack size?

uwek

--
/------------------------------------------------------------------------\
|Uwe S.V. Kubosch |Milron Data |Crusaders Productions |

Paul Dossett

não lida,
17 de nov. de 1995, 03:00:0017/11/1995
para
el...@stack.urc.tue.nl (Mark van der Molen) writes:

>On 09-Nov-95 13:21:27 Joshua Galun (zo...@outland.cyberwar.com) wrote :
>>Alan L.M. Buxey (kc...@central.susx.ac.uk) wrote:

>>: i agree, but the crashes are NOT caused by MUI, they are from AMosaic.

>> According to Stephan Burgstrom, the forms problems are from MUI
>>2.3, and not AMosaic.

>I just don't believe that, mosaic has to be the worst written program on amiga
>and i've never had any crashes with mui progs besides mosaic

Really? I find about 90% of mui programs crash, as they're badly written to
start with. Yes folks, some people *do* own '040s, and it's high time you
learnt how they work.. ;)

--
Paul Dossett | Yamaha, Epiphone, Pearl, Paiste | Amiga 2000/040/21/365/3.1 __
-------------| Looking for a band to play with | Amiga CD32/020/2/CD/3.1__///

Alan L.M. Buxey

não lida,
20 de nov. de 1995, 03:00:0020/11/1995
para
Uwe Sigurd Valentin Kubosch posted the following:

: Shouldn't AMosaic check for a decent stack size?

i suppose that from the beginning it should have come up with a little
caution like "Careful, your stack isnt that high" but apart from that,
no.

there are other ways of getting memory for programs other than stack....
but they chose the stack method....horses for courses

Uwe Sigurd Valentin Kubosch

não lida,
21 de nov. de 1995, 03:00:0021/11/1995
para
In article <48pqlq$o...@infa.central.susx.ac.uk>

kc...@central.susx.ac.uk (Alan L.M. Buxey) writes:

> : Shouldn't AMosaic check for a decent stack size?

> i suppose that from the beginning it should have come up with a little
> caution like "Careful, your stack isnt that high" but apart from that,
> no.

But they could, couldn't they?

Michael B. Smith

não lida,
26 de nov. de 1995, 03:00:0026/11/1995
para
In article <19951124.7...@mojaveg.ridgecrest.ca.us> moj...@ridgecrest.ca.us (Everett M. Greene) writes:

> In article <48rvst$5...@glitnir.ifi.uio.no> uw...@ifi.uio.no (Uwe Sigurd Valentin Kubosch) writes:
> > In article <48pqlq$o...@infa.central.susx.ac.uk>
> > kc...@central.susx.ac.uk (Alan L.M. Buxey) writes:
> > > : Shouldn't AMosaic check for a decent stack size?
> > > i suppose that from the beginning it should have come up with a little
> > > caution like "Careful, your stack isnt that high" but apart from that,
> > > no.
> > But they could, couldn't they?
>
> I always thought it was good design practice for a program to allocate
> its own stack space if its use of such space was larger than "normal".

It allocates 32K of stack itself. In testing, that seemed to be enough.
In real life, well, it wasn't.
--
// Michael B. Smith
\X/ m...@adastra.cvl.va.us