Google グループは Usenet の新規の投稿と購読のサポートを終了しました。過去のコンテンツは引き続き閲覧できます。

PSION SYSTEM 3 VS. ACORN POCKET BOOK

閲覧: 16 回
最初の未読メッセージにスキップ

064230062: Fernmeldedirektion Olten

未読、
1993/01/08 2:44:401993/01/08
To:
I'm considering to buy a handheld (Palmt
op, whatever) and I read in several mags
that the Psion Series 3 is a good machi
ne. I have an Archimedes at home of cour
se, and file-transfering would be great.
In that case the Acorn pocket Book woul
d surely be better, but has it got a pro
gramm-language too? Like on the Psion
the OPL.
Which handheld is better for what purpos
e? What are the positive and negative as
pects of these two machines?
Thanks for all answers in advance.
Greetings

Internet: Ikki(at)BEIZ.mediatex.ch

|B B|
|E CH: VTX *3600# E|
|I D: BTX *28881# I|
|Z Z|

Ian Palmer

未読、
1993/01/08 8:44:211993/01/08
To:
In article <2b4d5b18...@BEIZ.mediatex.ch> Ik...@BEIZ.mediatex.ch (064230062: Fernmeldedirektion Olten) writes:
>I'm considering to buy a handheld (Palmt
>op, whatever) and I read in several mags
> that the Psion Series 3 is a good machi
>ne. I have an Archimedes at home of cour
>se, and file-transfering would be great.
> In that case the Acorn pocket Book woul
>d surely be better, but has it got a pro
>gramm-language too? Like on the Psion
>the OPL.
>Which handheld is better for what purpos
>e? What are the positive and negative as
>pects of these two machines?
>Thanks for all answers in advance.
>Greetings

According to Acorn Customer Services the A-Link (the thingy that
connects the Arc to the Pocketbook) also works with the Psion-3. This
is also stated in a recent Risc User magazine. Bearing this in mind
the Psion-3 looks a far better choise for the average user for the
following reasons :

1) The word processor in the series 3 has (according to Risc User)
more features then the Pocketbook version. Although quite what
advantage this gives is debatable as most people would export as plain
text, if this is possible.

2) It's got a diary application, the Pocketbook hasn't.

3) It's got the OPL editor and compiler, the Pocketbook hasn't.

The Pocketbook does have a spell checker and spreadsheet which are not
in the Series 3 as standard, but I guess both are available seperatly
if needed. The other advantage of the Pocketbook is that it has a
little green acorn on it :-)

The problem with the Pocketbook, as I see it, is that the bit missing
from it that are in the Psion-3 as standard may not become available
(as Acorn themselves would have to release them, Psion won't 'cos it's
not worth it if most Psion users have them already).

Bear in mind that all this is based on what I have heard, read, etc. I
haven't actually used either of them.

Ian

--
E-mail : i...@doc.ic.ac.uk
___ __ Snail mail : Department of Computing, Huxley Building,

Pete Goodwin

未読、
1993/01/08 10:09:431993/01/08

In article <1ik0fl...@oak5.doc.ic.ac.uk>, i...@doc.ic.ac.uk (Ian Palmer) writes...

>According to Acorn Customer Services the A-Link (the thingy that
>connects the Arc to the Pocketbook) also works with the Psion-3.

Yep, I've tried it. Rather neat, multitasks at both ends!

>This
>is also stated in a recent Risc User magazine. Bearing this in mind
>the Psion-3 looks a far better choise for the average user for the
>following reasons :
>
>1) The word processor in the series 3 has (according to Risc User)
>more features then the Pocketbook version. Although quite what
>advantage this gives is debatable as most people would export as plain
>text, if this is possible.

The 'extra features' on the Series 3 machine are: Outline format and Password.
Not exactly earth shattering...

>2) It's got a diary application, the Pocketbook hasn't.
>
>3) It's got the OPL editor and compiler, the Pocketbook hasn't.

OPL programs created and compiled on Series 3 run on Acorn Pocketbooks.

>The Pocketbook does have a spell checker and spreadsheet which are not
>in the Series 3 as standard, but I guess both are available seperatly
>if needed. The other advantage of the Pocketbook is that it has a
>little green acorn on it :-)

Yep, both the spell checker and spreadsheet are available seperately for the
Series 3, though they cost!!!

Pete Goodwin
goo...@edieng.enet.dec.com

Hugo Fiennes

未読、
1993/01/11 18:23:551993/01/11

>OPL programs created and compiled on Series 3 run on Acorn Pocketbooks.
>
>>The Pocketbook does have a spell checker and spreadsheet which are not
>>in the Series 3 as standard, but I guess both are available seperatly
>>if needed. The other advantage of the Pocketbook is that it has a
>>little green acorn on it :-)
>
>Yep, both the spell checker and spreadsheet are available seperately for the
>Series 3, though they cost!!!

Yes, but alternatively you have to remember that you can get Psion-3's for
169+vat (Dabs Press), whereas rrp on pocket book is 212+vat, and I havn't
seen any discounted pocket books....

Hugo
"Did I say that? My lips didn't move..."
Hugo Fiennes - The Serial Port alt...@cryton.demon.co.uk
or alt...@cix.compulink.co.uk

Tony Garnockjones

未読、
1993/01/14 22:16:491993/01/14
To:
Can you tell who I could contact in New Zealand about the Psion notebook?
Could I buy it through Acorn... :->

Tony_Gar...@kcbbs.gen.nz

Philip R. Banks

未読、
1993/01/14 17:26:431993/01/14
To:
AJLH...@kcbbs.gen.nz (Tony Garnockjones) writes:

> Can you tell who I could contact in New Zealand about the Psion notebook?
> Could I buy it through Acorn... :->

Come on Tony, your in Auckland man! Right next to our Acorn office... Even
down here in Wellington we have seen and been told we can buy Acorn notebooks.

Philip

--
Philip R. Banks Syntax: mail < ban...@kosmos.wcc.govt.nz > @@@@@/|
@@@@/#|

G.N.Sinclair

未読、
1993/01/15 11:21:481993/01/15
To:
In article <726533...@cryton.demon.co.uk> alt...@cryton.demon.co.uk writes:
>In article <1993Jan8.1...@rdg.dec.com> goo...@edieng.enet.dec.com writes:
>
>Yes, but alternatively you have to remember that you can get Psion-3's for
>169+vat (Dabs Press), whereas rrp on pocket book is 212+vat, and I havn't
>seen any discounted pocket books....

The Psion-3 is 169 inc. VAT at Dixons at the mo - an extra 80 for an Acorn
is not worth methinks...

Gordon.

064230062: Fernmeldedirektion Olten

未読、
1993/01/15 10:26:141993/01/15
To:
You surely could the Acorn Pocketbook
in New Zeeland because there is an offic
ial distributor. But I don't think that
you can get a Psion System 3 from Acorn.
Don't know the address of Psion in New
Zeeland.

Greetings.

Colin Watters

未読、
1993/01/15 13:57:071993/01/15

Some readers might not be aware that Psion make two models
of the Series 3. One with 128K RAM the other with 256K RAM.
In case there is any doubt the Acorn Pocket Book is based
on the 256K Model.

Colin
| _ | Email: cwat...@acorn.co.uk (Colin Watters) |
| _ \ \ | |
| | \______\_\_____ |---------------------------------------------------|
| |-________--_____\ | |
| / / | Do it by remote control ! |
| /_/ | |

Ian Palmer

未読、
1993/01/18 4:50:581993/01/18

The one for 169 inc. at Dixons is only the 128k medel, they sell the
256k for the standard price of 250 (ish).

The Dabs Press 169+vat (about 200 inc.) is the 256k medel,. they sell
the 128k model for about 139+vat. (If memory serves).

So the saving you can get over the pocketbook (assuming a 256k model,
same as pocketbook) the saving is not 80 pounds, but more like 50.

新着メール 0 件