Zool

Roy Hunt

Nov 19, 2003, 2:45:02 PM11/19/03
Hi there,
Quick as you can please!! Our two foster children have
taken a liking to Zool, a game already installed on the
Iyonix.
There does seem to be an inordinate amount of key bashing
going on when they are using it. A 'help' file states that
the game can be played with joysticks. Which ones and from
whom ??

TIA and in a hurry,
Regards,
Roy

--
R. Hunt, Llannor, Pwllheli, Gwynedd, U.K
My wife ran away with my best friend. I sure miss him!

Mark Rowan

Nov 19, 2003, 8:21:41 PM11/19/03
In article <87a2f353...@plastudur.freeserve.co.uk>,
Roy Hunt <hun...@plastudur.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

> There does seem to be an inordinate amount of key bashing going on when
> they are using it. A 'help' file states that the game can be played
> with joysticks. Which ones and from whom ??

Stuart Tyrrell may be your man - though TBH I don't know much/anything
about Iyonix joysticks yet!

www.stdevel.co.uk (? Try Google if not)

--
November: The eleventh twelfth of a weariness.

||Mark Rowan|| Castle Iyonix 600MHz XScale, 128MB, ADFS 80+40GB, RO 5.03
http://www.tamias.co.uk | mark (at) tamias co uk | ICQ 30759398
sp...@tamias.co.uk is a genuine address but will be slow to reply

Andrew

Nov 20, 2003, 12:19:05 PM11/20/03
<URL:mailto:hun...@plastudur.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi there,
> Quick as you can please!! Our two foster children have
> taken a liking to Zool, a game already installed on the
> Iyonix.
> There does seem to be an inordinate amount of key bashing
> going on when they are using it. A 'help' file states that
> the game can be played with joysticks. Which ones and from
> whom ??

Zool came with the A3010 which was intended as a Acorn games machine to
rival the Amiga and Atari ST. As a result it had to Amiga/C64-style
joystick sockets on the back.
Stuart Tyrell released an interface (Solo) for using Amiga/C64-style
joysticks on later Acorn machines. Interestingly I recently discovered
that I could play BBC Elite under emulation on my RiscPC using such a
joystick with Solo! I don't think he makes these anymore but he's
certainly carried on with Acorn joystick support AFAIK.

James Byrne

Nov 24, 2003, 8:03:47 AM11/24/03
Roy Hunt wrote:
> Quick as you can please!! Our two foster children have
> taken a liking to Zool, a game already installed on the
> Iyonix.
> There does seem to be an inordinate amount of key bashing
> going on when they are using it. A 'help' file states that
> the game can be played with joysticks. Which ones and from
> whom ??

Zool will work with any standard joystick interface, but as far as I am
aware nobody has done one for the Iyonix yet. It should be relatively
easy to write a generic driver for USB joysticks, but that would require
someone with the necessary skills and spare time. I don't have any of
the latter myself; any volunteers?

James