comp.std.c++ is alive again

Steve Clamage

Dec 11, 2008, 1:38:05 PM12/11/08
Newsgroup comp.std.c++ has been off line since early this year. On behalf of
the newsgroup moderators, I'm happy to report that we are back in business
again!

comp.std.c++ is for technical announcements and discussion of the ANSI/ISO
C++ standardization process and the C++ standard, and for discussion of the
design and standardization of the C++ language and libraries. Other
discussion that is directly related to the C++ standard (not related merely
to C++ programming techniques) is also welcome.

The newsgroup FAQ is here:
http://www.comeaucomputing.com/csc/faq.html

---
Steve Clamage
moderator, comp.std.c++

[ your news-reader. If that fails, use mailto:std...@netlab.cs.rpi.edu]
[ FAQ: http://www.comeaucomputing.com/csc/faq.html ]

Jack Klein

Dec 12, 2008, 11:55:03 AM12/12/08
On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 12:38:05 CST, Steve Clamage
<stephen...@sun.com> wrote in comp.std.c++:

> Newsgroup comp.std.c++ has been off line since early this year. On behalf of
> the newsgroup moderators, I'm happy to report that we are back in business
> again!

Welcome back!

There were several different vague allusions to the reason for the
absence that showed up occasionally on comp.lang.c++ and
comp.lang.c++.moderated, but nothing definitive.

May we expect an account of what really caused the 11+ month absence?

--
Jack Klein
Home: http://JK-Technology.Com

stephen...@sun.com

Dec 13, 2008, 3:38:19 PM12/13/08
On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 10:55:03 CST, Jack Klein <jack...@spamcop.net>
wrote:

>There were several different vague allusions to the reason for the
>absence that showed up occasionally on comp.lang.c++ and
>comp.lang.c++.moderated, but nothing definitive.
>
>May we expect an account of what really caused the 11+ month absence?

We had some rather elaborate moderation software installed on a site
maintained by one of the moderators. He moved halfway around the
world, lost access to the site, and turned out to be far too busy in
his personal and professional life to deal with the issues.

With the help of the moderators of comp.lang.c++.moderated, we got
this newsgroup hooked up to their moderation site, and got the usenet
traffic redirected through that site.

Why did it take so long? Well, all us moderators have day jobs and
other responsibilities. and none of us had the experise necessary to
just make it all happen.

But we're glad to be back!

Steve Clamage
moderator, comp.std.c++