C++0x Feature Summary, Version 0

Scott Meyers

Aug 19, 2006, 11:55:46 AM8/19/06
There are now enough new goodies in the draft for C++0x or accepted in principle
that I can't remember them all, so it'd be nice to have a summary of the state
of affairs. This is what I came up with off the top of my head tonight. It's
almost certainly both incomplete and inaccurate in places, so I'd appreciate it
if people could offer corrections. I'll then post a revised version.

Thanks,

Scott

New Language Features:
In draft:
- Delegating constructors
- Revised initialization rules/syntax
- auto
- ">>" can be used to close two templates
- Template aliasing via "using"

Likely to be added in some form:
- Lambda functions
- Memory model
- Concepts
- Rvalue references/move semantics
- Variadic template parameters

New Library Features:
In draft:
- TR1 except for mathematical special functions

Likely to be added in some form:
- unique_ptr
- Algorithm overloads on containers (e.g., "sort(myVector);")

---
[ your news-reader. If that fails, use mailto:std...@ncar.ucar.edu ]
[ FAQ: http://www.comeaucomputing.com/csc/faq.html ]

Howard Hinnant

Aug 19, 2006, 2:58:43 PM8/19/06
In article <12ed6s8...@corp.supernews.com>,
Scott Meyers <use...@aristeia.com> wrote:

Here's a nice summary of the state of affairs:

http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2006/n2011.htm
http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2006/n2003.html

You can search the latter (library summary) for "C++0X". The intent of
both authors of these papers is to update them after each meeting.

-Howard