What headsets come with Dragon or Via Voice?

john...@yahoo.com

Nov 5, 2001, 10:28:03 PM11/5/01
Can someone tell me what headset comes with Dragon Naturally Speaking
Preferred? Is it any good?

And does any headset come with IBM Via Voice and is it any good?

If neither headsets are any good.... what IS a good headset to buy??

Speaktoyourpc.com

Nov 6, 2001, 3:40:03 AM11/6/01

Can someone tell me what headset comes with Dragon Naturally Speaking
Preferred? Is it any good?

To be general and not specific, earlier versions of Dragon software (depending
on the version purchased and what country you purchased it from) generally
included a VXI Parrot headset, Emkay or Labtec.

The current version of ViaVoice Pro USB is bundled with a DSP series of
Plantronic's headsets.

> And does any headset come with IBM Via Voice and is it any good?
> If neither headsets are any good.... what IS a good headset to buy??

The included headsets are usually suitable for voice recognition but not the
best.

To obtain the best recognition accuracy, you want to obtain the best signal to
noise ratio possible and excellent microphone noise canceling.

The VXI headsets have a pressure gradient type of microphone and produce a
higher signal to noise when compared to say the ANC-600.

There are other factors such as frequency response that may come to play a
significant factor in speech recognition. If you listen to the playback from
both a VXI heaadset and the ANC-600, you will notice that the ANC-600 has much
less bass and sounds clearer and more understandable- this is not the case in
the majority of the "low end" bundled headsets included with voice recognition
software packages.

You can check out some recommended headsets for use with voice recognition
software here:
http://www.speaktoyourpc.com/headsets.shtml

---

Scott Bulger
Sound Engineer
Dynamic Acoustics, Inc.
representing speaktoyourpc.com
1-888-412-7605
___________________________________

News, reviews, tips and tricks...get the latest
updates and product information in the world
of voice recognition! Subscribe here:
http://www.speaktoyourpc.com/newsletter.shtml

Martin Markoe

Nov 6, 2001, 6:58:40 AM11/6/01
John,

> And does any headset come with IBM Via Voice and is it any good?

Think of the headsets supplied with speech recognition software as starter
headsets. You should be able to get a good idea if speech recognition is
right for you from using one of these. As important as headsets and sound
cards careful training of the system and yourself is just as critical. I
highly recommend you read the short article on our web site, "Key Steps to
High Speech Recognition Accuracy." You can find it at:
http://www.speechcontrol.com/articles/Keys%20to%20dictation.htm

--
Martin Markoe, SCCS, Inc.
Soon to be eMicrophones, Inc.

john...@yahoo.com

Nov 6, 2001, 2:20:38 PM11/6/01
>Think of the headsets supplied with speech recognition software as starter
>headsets.

OK.... well..... I have downloaded the free Microsoft
Speech Recognition app and went out and bought a
Plantronics LS1 headset at Walmart

BUT..... I haven't really tried it all yet.... and
frankly am wondering if I shouldn't go ahead and spring
for the Dragon Naturally Speaking Preferred package and
take the headset back to Walmart.

I am just not sure if the free MS Speech engine is for
developers ONLY.... or can be used by and end user like
me.

Bottom line.... should I forget abt the MS Speech app?

Speaktoyourpc.com

Nov 6, 2001, 4:43:41 PM11/6/01

Bottom line.... should I forget abt the MS Speech app?

If you're looking to use the software seriously--depending on it so you can be
more productive dictating text--uninstall it and forget about it.

For high accuracy, ease of use and serious productivity go with ViaVoice or
Dragon. I still use Dragon 4.0 --you can still purchase it from us for under
$80--headset and all:
http://www.speaktoyourpc.com/oldies.shtml

Dragon 5.0 is also available
http://www.speaktoyourpc.com/dns.shtml

--
Jonathan Greer
speaktoyourpc.com

We're changing our name!
www.Microspeech.com
"microphones and speech products
for the busy professional"

Martin Markoe

Nov 6, 2001, 6:09:20 PM11/6/01
John,

> OK.... well..... I have downloaded the free Microsoft
> Speech Recognition app and went out and bought a
> Plantronics LS1 headset at Walmart

MS's speech recognition engine is several years behind Dragon
NaturallySpeaking and ViaVoice in terms of accuracy, correction/training
ability and usability. You are likely to be disappointed with SR if you
start with the MS software.

The Plantronics LS-1 is a usable starter microphone. If you only dictate in
a quiet environment and you don't plan on using this microphone for
professional reports or writing, it is a good inexpensive choice of
microphones. If you read our column on Selecting a Headset... referenced
below, you will see all the factors to consider when you are ready to
purchase a good one.

If you purchase NaturallySpeaking V 5.0 now, I believe you will be entitled
to a free upgrade to V6.0 which is to be released shortly. A good person to
contact for NaturallySpeaking is the highly respected Larry Allen of
LVASoftnet, Inc. You can reach him by E-mail at:
lvaso...@aol.com.

--
Martin Markoe, SCCS, Inc.
Soon to be eMicrophones, Inc.
The best microphones for Speech Recognition
See us at: http://www.speechcontrol.com
Click below for "Selecting a Headset Microphone for Personal Use"
http://www.speechtek.com/st.mag/jan01/sound.shtml

Click below for "Key Steps to High Speech Recognition Accuracy"
http://www.speechcontrol.com/articles/Keys%20to%20dictation.htm

Evgenij Barsukov

Nov 6, 2001, 6:30:03 PM11/6/01
Regardding message from Tue, 06 Nov 2001 03:28:03 GMT by john...@yahoo.com

I just recently confronted same problem. Here is the list of tested and approved
by Dragon mices/headsets: http://dragontalk.com/NSCOMPAT.HTM#Microphones
The problem is, I can not find any of those in korea - country with 25% of
population having broadband at home! It seems that speech-recognition and
capable headsets are long way before becoming mainstream.

Regards,
Evgenij

Martin Markoe

Nov 6, 2001, 8:22:56 PM11/6/01
Evgenji,

> The problem is, I can not find any of those in korea - country with 25% of
> population having broadband at home! It seems that speech-recognition and
> capable headsets are long way before becoming mainstream.

You are correct in that there are few countries that have companies with
distribution points for high quality SR (Speech Recognition) microphones.
Please be advised that we ship approximately 30% of our orders outside the
United States. Only one order in the past 4 years was lost. We ship via
Express Mail which is our postal service to your postal service. Delivery is
usually within 3 business days to most countries. There are no secondary
carrier shipping charges and shipping charges are viewable at the time of
ordering so there are no surprises. You may have to pay custom duties in
some countries.

Evgenij Barsukov

Nov 6, 2001, 11:12:58 PM11/6/01

>> The problem is, I can not find any of those in korea - country with 25% of
>> population having broadband at home! It seems that speech-recognition and
>> capable headsets are long way before becoming mainstream.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>You are correct in that there are few countries that have companies with
>distribution points for high quality SR (Speech Recognition) microphones.
>Please be advised that we ship approximately 30% of our orders outside the
>United States. Only one order in the past 4 years was lost. We ship via
>Express Mail which is our postal service to your postal service. Delivery is
>usually within 3 business days to most countries. There are no secondary
>carrier shipping charges and shipping charges are viewable at the time of
>ordering so there are no surprises.

Could you elaborate what is the shipping price to korea (and anyway overseas?).
I could not find this information on the web-site, and to see this during
ordering I have first to register, give my e-mail address etc. things I always
do very reluctantly if I dont have to.

Besides, I noticed you have only the most expensive noise-canceling mics. What
about Andrea NC-67, it seems to have all properties you need but costs less then
half of the NC-700.

Regards,
Evgenij

Evgenij Barsukov

Nov 6, 2001, 11:13:50 PM11/6/01
Regardding message from Wed, 07 Nov 2001 04:12:58 GMT by
ev...@camd1.kkpcr.re.kr (Evgenij Barsukov)

>Besides, I noticed you have only the most expensive noise-canceling mics. What
>about Andrea NC-67, it seems to have all properties you need but costs less then
>half of the NC-700.

uuupsss..I meant not NC-67 but NC-65...anyway.

Regards,
Evgenij

Speaktoyourpc.com

Nov 7, 2001, 1:11:12 AM11/7/01

> >> The problem is, I can not find any of those in korea - country with 25% of
> >> population having broadband at home! It seems that speech-recognition and
> >> capable headsets are long way before becoming mainstream.

Keep in mind we ship all over the world and U.S.

All WorldWide Express UPS shipping outside the U.S. is no charge for our
customers.
You will notice shipping charges voided and not charged after ordering.

Martin Markoe

Nov 7, 2001, 5:58:09 AM11/7/01
Evgenij,

> Could you elaborate what is the shipping price to korea (and anyway
overseas?).
> I could not find this information on the web-site, and to see this during
> ordering I have first to register, give my e-mail address etc. things I
always
> do very reluctantly if I dont have to.

I do not blame you for this attitude as it has been well documented that an
active competitor on this newsgroup, who has been banned from another User
Group because of blatant spamming and advertising, has made the honest
dealers look bad by using E-mail addresses from this newsgroup and sending
unsolicited Spam drivel to everyone they can.

We state on the Home Page, "Personal Information submitted to this site is
kept in the strictest confidence." Not only do we state that, we live by
that and treat our customers and prospective customers as we want to be
treated. I assure you, you can safely go to the order page and no
information is sent to us until you try to complete the order. I just ran
the cost for a typical microphone to be sent to South Korea and it comes up:
International Calculator

If you mail your 2 pound Global Express Mail (EMS) to Korea, Republic
of (South Korea), we estimate arrival in 2 - 3 Days*

Itemized Service Summary Service Item Price
Global Express Mail (EMS) $24.00

TOTAL CHARGES $24.00

> Besides, I noticed you have only the most expensive noise-canceling mics.
What
> about Andrea NC-67, it seems to have all properties you need but costs
less then
> half of the NC-700.

On our Home Page we also state, ""Not every microphone - just the best"
Only if you want a microphone that meets the highest standards for comfort,
accuracy, and noise canceling we can supply it.

Martin Markoe

Nov 7, 2001, 6:16:35 AM11/7/01
Jonathan (or is it Peter or Charles - so many aliases, so much time),

Keep in mind we ship all over the world and U.S. All WorldWide Express UPS
shipping outside the U.S. is no charge for our
customers.

Most companies clearly state their shipping charges. For example, our policy
of Free Shipping in the USA is stated on the Home Page and every product
page as well as on the How To Order Page. I had to enter an order on your
web site in order to see "What You Should Know About Shipping." It then
says, "Phone and online orders are automatically shipped UPS Ground (7- 10
business days) for $10.00 on all in stock items up to 4 pounds. Each
additional item add $2.00."

> Jonathan Greer
> speaktoyourpc.com

Does this mean Peter, who many suspect is really Charles S., has now changed
his alias to Jonathan?

> We're changing our name!
> www.Microspeech.com

The above is a dead link. Click on www.emicrophones.com and at least you get
redirected to our current web site. Will your new web site say who the
principals of your company really are? Will it state where your real
business location is?

john...@yahoo.com

Nov 7, 2001, 11:48:38 AM11/7/01
>If you're looking to use the software seriously--depending on it so you can be
>more productive dictating text--uninstall it and forget about it.

Yes... I do want to give SR a try as I am a HEAVY news
group user...often typing hundreds of messages a day!
<G>

So... I will forget abt the MS Speech engine.

>For high accuracy, ease of use and serious productivity go with ViaVoice or
>Dragon.

OK..... but which one?

I understand the ViaVoice has better "navigation"
features within Windows apps.... but that it is a
resource hog.

Where as Dragon is much better at resources.... but
doesn't have the windows navigation that Viavoice does.

Any advice on which to buy? And why?

Speaktoyourpc.com

Nov 7, 2001, 12:05:05 PM11/7/01

> Most companies clearly state their shipping charges. For
example, our policy
> of Free Shipping in the USA is stated on the Home Page and
every product
> page as well as on the How To Order Page. I had to enter an
order on your
> web site in order to see "What You Should Know About
Shipping." It then
> says, "Phone and online orders are automatically shipped UPS
Ground (7- 10
> business days) for $10.00 on all in stock items up to 4
pounds. Each
> additional item add $2.00."

International shipping is always free.

Final checkout reveals this is true.

We ship UPS Worldwide Express--not U.S. postal system --taking
extra shipping precautions, considering the safety of our
customer during these times. Our online ordering system
calculates shipping based on your location-----International
shipping is always FREE.

As a matter of fact Evgenij, I'm prepared to give you any
headset you choose under $200 from our website FREE -even ship
it FREE.....maybe you can be the first to begin a trend in Korea
for speaktoyourpc.com!

Take your pick from http://www.speaktoyourpc.com/headsets.shtml
and call my desk directly or email me with shipping details---
and off it goes. No credit card needed.

My desk: (filters through a call center)
508-752-8591

my email:
Jona...@speaktoyourpc.com

If you can't reach me direct or by email you can always press 0
to reach another sales person in our office. We have a total of
15 employees on our sales staff--I'm sure someone can assist you
and get the headset you want out to you right away.

Anyone else looking for a FREE headset, we're giving away the
Parrot 10-3 just for writing a review for us! Here are the
details:
http://www.speaktoyourpc.com/reviews

--
Jonathan Greer
speaktoyourpc.com

We're changing our name!
www.Microspeech.com

Evgenij Barsukov

Nov 7, 2001, 6:39:18 PM11/7/01
Regardding message from Wed, 7 Nov 2001 12:05:05 -0500 by "Speaktoyourpc.com"
<he...@speaktoyourpc.com>

>International shipping is always free.
>
>Final checkout reveals this is true.
>
>We ship UPS Worldwide Express--not U.S. postal system --taking
>extra shipping precautions, considering the safety of our
>customer during these times. Our online ordering system
>calculates shipping based on your location-----International
>shipping is always FREE.
>
>As a matter of fact Evgenij, I'm prepared to give you any
>headset you choose under $200 from our website FREE -even ship
>it FREE.....maybe you can be the first to begin a trend in Korea
>for speaktoyourpc.com!
>
>Take your pick from http://www.speaktoyourpc.com/headsets.shtml
>and call my desk directly or email me with shipping details---
>and off it goes. No credit card needed.

Dear Jonathan,

that is an exciting offer! I guess nobody would refuse it!

I went to your web-sit and picked from the several good headsets you have there
the QW-1000/ANC Stereo Headset System. Can I really get it? How soon will it
come? Wow - that is my birthday today! Good luck with your entry into the korean
market - nobody positively have here any headset coming near to this one.

Regards,
Evgenij

Martin Markoe

Nov 7, 2001, 7:39:37 PM11/7/01
Evgenij,

> I went to your web-sit and picked from the several good headsets you have
there
> the QW-1000/ANC Stereo Headset System. Can I really get it? How soon will
it
> come? Wow - that is my birthday today! Good luck with your entry into the
korean
> market - nobody positively have here any headset coming near to this one.

Excellent choice. It is the Cadilac of headsets. Please let us know as soon
as this headset arrives? This headset is on our web site but clearly marked,
OUT OF STOCK. We know for a fact they are not available even though some web
sites will take orders for them.

Martin

Speaktoyourpc.com

Nov 7, 2001, 11:36:47 PM11/7/01

> > I went to your web-sit and picked from the several good
headsets you have
> there the QW-1000/ANC Stereo Headset System. Can I really get
it? How soon will
> it come? Wow - that is my birthday today! Good luck with your
entry into the
> korean market - nobody positively have here any headset coming
near to this one.

What timing then.

I received your email off post and will send one out by Friday
of this week- compliments of speaktoyourpc.com.

Don't forget to mention speaktoyourpc.com when your friends in
Korea like what you receive from us.

And remember to write a review for the QW-1000 headset when you
get it:
http://www.speaktoyourpc.com/reviews

Anyone else who wants a FREE headset- we have thousands to give
away! anyone who writes a review - gets a headset--that simple.
(The free headsets may not be as elaborate as the QW-1000 but
hey! they're free!)

Enrique Padilla

Nov 8, 2001, 1:46:47 AM11/8/01
I'm missing all the fun on this wonderful thread. Therefore, I'll catch
up.

Hello everyone. I've been out of touch for a while. I've been building
the REAL Microphones.com (sorry, had to do it) but I'm back.

First off, I would stay away from the QW1000. They are actually IN STOCK
items (for us at least). I refuse to sell them because of a manufacturing
problems though. Doesn't mean users don't want to backorder them so we
keep them on our website.

The QW1000 system is not anything near a cadillac in our opinion (unless
you are talking about it's size). It's more like a Van or Minibus.
Don't get me wrong. It's a great headset but it performs just as good as
the Andrea ANC700 without all the extra weight. The only difference is
the ANR technology for the speakers. If you are in a really noisy
environment and want to block all noise from your ears, then this is the
headset for you. If not, it's a whole lot of headset (weight / size /
cable wise).

If you are going to use speech recognition, I would suggest some type of
lightweight or medium sized headset such as the Andrea ANC700, a VXI
Aruba, a Shure VR250BT or a Plantronics DSP400. My new 2 favorites are
the Telex SR3300 and the GN Ultra USB (nice to have choices) and despite
what others say, having many choices ensures you are getting non-biased
opinions. The best for you may not be the best for me. They all work
about the same although Andrea and Shure perform better in noisier
environments. I like the Telex because it is the lightest headset, has
no earpads and performs great in quiet and moderately noisy environments.
The Ultra USB is simply the only USB convertible headset in it's class.

I guess I should say something about shipping and handling before someone
comes behind me to downplay our policies. We ship worldwide using Fedex
and we ABSOLUTELY charge for shipping. Sometimes our shipping charges
may seem high $40-$60 and up, however, bare in mind that Fedex will get
to customer locations usually within 1-2 days and we pay for VAT and
Taxes which is extremely convenient, especially for busy professionals
since packages come directly to your door. No dealing with customs. For
some, it's that convenience that makes Fedex and UPS desirable choices
(not to mention, so far, Anthrax free) and frankly, it's just better
service in my opinion and that's we we ship this way.

Good luck with your new headset venture and I guarantee it will not be
your last. Sorry for the long post but I wanted to steer you away from
the QW1000 and add my own puns to the conversation.

I also hate when a vendor is directly flaming another vendor without due
cause. This is simply bad professional courtesy and should say something
about the individual and/or corporation. There are ways to join a
discussion and promote your website links without flaming. Discussions,
not arguments is what should be practiced on these lists. I hardly ever
post anymore because of constant microphone battles. Funny that
microphones seems to be the only subject to get into these flaming
battles.

BTW, our link below to our website which is still very much under
construction and always will be.

Enrique Padilla
New World Creations
http://www.Microphones.com
Making the right Connections

In article <3bedc556...@news.kreonet.re.kr>,
ev...@camd1.kkpcr.re.kr says...

Martin Markoe

Nov 8, 2001, 6:07:49 AM11/8/01
Enrique,

> I also hate when a vendor is directly flaming another vendor without due
> cause. This is simply bad professional courtesy and should say something
> about the individual and/or corporation

Interesting statement considering the only two microphone vendors thrown off
legitimate Speech Recognition User Groups for spamming and unbridled
advertising stick together. I guess you would know the meaning of unethical
and unprofessional as you have honed your skills well.

You have publicly stated you do not even use speech recognition because it
is more of a bother than keyboarding for you, an excellent typist. You and
the other guy (who even knows who he really is) tout your businesses as
microphone superstores. Considering you do not even use speech recognition
you are willing to sell microphones as if they are a commodity. As any
skilled speech recognition user knows, it takes an effort to make speech
recognition work. Selling inferior microphones to beginning users dooms
them to failure.

I will give professional courtesy to the real professionals, not the ones
who claim to be and are really charlatans.

Martin Markoe, SCCS, Inc.

The best microphones for Speech Recognition
See us at: http://www.speechcontrol.com

See, "Key Steps to High Speech Recognition Accuracy" at:
http://www.speechcontrol.com/articles/Keys%20to%20dictation.htm

Martin Markoe

Nov 8, 2001, 8:49:58 AM11/8/01
John,

> OK..... but which one?

> Any advice on which to buy? And why?

I personally use VoiceXpress for E-mail due to its excellence command and
control. The best features of VoiceXpress have been integrated into Dragon
NaturallySpeaking Version 6.0 which is to be released shortly. It is my
understanding that recent purchasers' of DNS 5.0 will qualify for a free
upgrade to V6.0. You can rely on Larry Allen of LVASoftnet for accurate
advice on this and supply when available. Contact Larry at:
lvaso...@aol.com. I've Cc'd him so he'll know what it is about when you
contact him.

--
Martin Markoe, SCCS, Inc.

Enrique Padilla

Nov 8, 2001, 10:47:26 AM11/8/01
Great come back Marty!!

BTW, I'm not sure which speech recognition user group I've been thrown
off of for spamming. Now that is a pretty serious accusation because we
don't spam. Have I been moderated? Yes and frankly it was for my own
good because dealing with you on the newsgroups is not an easy thing and
most always turns into some type of flaming war.

But Marty, first, I'll apologize for coming at you (although I was trying
to keep my statement as broad as possible). However, you have to admit
that you do get into fights with many regarding microphones and you do
wave your website around more often than necessary and you don't always
tell the truth about competitive products. Come on ..... Admit it .....
If another vendor mentions anything about microphones, you are right
behind the individual trying to one up them. You have been in arguments
with come to think of it, almost any microphone vender including myself,
Insync Software (Parmod), Speak to your PC and Communitech just to name a
few.

On more than one occasion, I have actually had customers tell me that you
were bad mouthing our company on the newsgroups and was asked why wasn't
I there to defend. I remember seeing a post in the Speak to Write
newsgroup where an individual linked to our website and you were right
behind them saying some derogatory comment about Microphones.com and the
fact that we sold too many microphones. I like to give users a broad
array of options and contrary to what you portray, there are good
microphones made by companies other than Andrea, Shure, Philips and
Sennheiser. I didn't respond because I simply did not want to get into
another fight which is the reason my posts have been very light in the
last few months.

I remember one heated debate we had over the MPA Satellite and the
Orbiter wireless system. You downplayed the MPA Satellite stating that
the connections used were not good and that the Orbiter system was the
only one that actually worked well. Yet, you sell this very MPA
Satellite system today! Is it because you now have better margins? That
is not fair to consumers. You have also consistently downplayed Telex
headsets as garbage when they aren't. Telex headsets simply respond
faster to speech recognition than many other microphones and in a quiet
environment is a very capable and accurate headset. It's not the best,
but a welcome option to those with slower computers or others simply
seeking replacements for broken headsets. The new Telex headsets are
even better. Especially that SR3300 which has same style headband that
the old Shure SM10A had.

As far as speech recognition is concerned, I do use speech recognition
software but not all the time. It's not always convenient and I am a
busy professional and only use it when I have to. I have admitted it and
you should too unless your Voice Xpress system spells Cadillac with one l
(from a previous post here). I have also done a lot of programming in my
days and have built database systems. Because I don't use them everyday,
does this mean I can't support it?

Here are my qualifications. Certified and trained for Philips
SpeechMagic, IBM ViaVoice, IBM Medspeak, Kurzweil VoiceMed, Dragon
NaturallySpeaking Enterprise & L&H VoiceXpress. I think there are a few
more, but I simply can't remember them. I have built interconnects using
these systems via HL7 and proprietary data systems across disparate
networks many times needing to use multiple systems including SQL, FoxPro
and other data interchange type products. I have a successfully
installed and supported a more than $250,000 speech recognition system at
a medical university in Florida and have also assisted a few companies in
TeleRadiology / speech implementations. I've been in this field for more
than 7 years, personally trained hundreds of clients and have sold to
thousands of individuals and corporations. So please, don't call me a
"Charlatan" because it is simply not true.

I also test microphones using a 7 point surround sound system, digital
decibal meters and a few audio files which mimic office noise or home
noise. Each mic is tested 3 times in each specific environment, then we
categorize them on our website to give users some type of lead to help in
their decision. I don't post accuracy rates because there are simply too
many variables that can change each individual's performance.

Many users have to buy several headsets to see what works best for them.
And believe me when I tell you that some users actually get better
recognition from $20 headsets than with $100 headsets. Therefore, I don't
know how you can claim you only sell the best. There is no best where
performance is concerned, just trial, error and advice.

I end this long note just to say that there is enough business in the
microphone industry to go around. I would love nothing better than to
never fight with you again but stop trying to one-up everyone. I am a
member of several newsgroups in the microphone industry (more than just
computer mics). I see vendors posting all the time and as long as you
are not a member of the newsgroup, there aren't constant one-up battles.

I think you should rethink your tactics because it is simply a disservice
to consumers. I'm sure one or two of your cheerleaders will probably
join in and if I lived on these newsgroups, I am sure I would have a few
cheerleaders of my own. However, I don't have time to fight.

It's time to test out the new Wireless USB Earworn/Headworn Arialphone
for speech recognition use.

BTW, this is my last post on this thread (hopefully).

Sincerely,

Enrique Padilla
New World Creations

http://www.microphones.com
Making the right Connections

In article <tukpr1h...@corp.supernews.com>, mar...@speechcontrol.com
says...

Martin Markoe

Nov 8, 2001, 11:40:28 AM11/8/01
Enrique,

> BTW, I'm not sure which speech recognition user group I've been thrown
> off of for spamming.

Mea culpa. I grouped you with Peter Daniels. Please accept a public apology.

and you don't always tell the truth about competitive products. Come on
..... Admit it .....

All items on my web site have been tested under the conditions stated in How
We Test Microphones. I would proudly use any of the items under the terms of
our written evaluation of it. The only item I have any problem getting very
high accuracy with is the Telex Desktop microphones. The only reason I carry
them is they are as good as any of the current crop of desktop microphones
or arrays, are the least expensive and there are people with disabilities
who could use them.

Being involved in selling, advising and professionally writing about
microphones I test many more microphones than I carry. I recently retested
two major microphone manufacturers lineups. In our tests (mine, engineer
Birger Petterson and clients) these microphones were not the equal of the
ones currently available. I didn't knock them and even spoke to the company
reps asking them if they had suggestions in case I missed something. One
vendor suggested I re test using batteries in the battery box even though
the microphone easily passed the Audio Check and Windows Sound Recorder
recording test.

>You downplayed the MPA Satellite stating that
> the connections used were not good and that the Orbiter system was the
> only one that actually worked well. Yet, you sell this very MPA
> Satellite system today! Is it because you now have better margins?

Actually it is because the cables that come with it now meet my standards
and work. I didn't offer what didn't work. Actually I make less money per
unit now, but am able to offer it at a more affordable price to more people.

> It's time to test out the new Wireless USB Earworn/Headworn Arialphone
> for speech recognition use.

It is good to see you are now testing microphones. For over a year you were
offering the GN Netcom 2.4 GHz wireless phone as a speech recognition
solution as well as for the phone. My testing, as well as that of several
other vendors, showed that unit was never able to produce even satisfactory
results for SR. I am glad to see you've removed it.

I personally don't want to fight with you. I respect you and your
qualifications as long as it is in the best interests of this emerging
technology.

Marty

Speaktoyourpc.com

Nov 8, 2001, 5:33:46 PM11/8/01

First off, I would stay away from the QW1000.

Service from Andrea confirmed this headset has poor headband
construction causing it to break after continued use. Otherwise,
the sound quality and mic element are equal or less to other
headsets they offer.

despite what others say, having many choices ensures you are
getting non-biased

opinions. The best for you may not be the best for me. --- Many

users have to buy several headsets to see what works best for
them. And believe me when I tell you that some users actually
get better
recognition from $20 headsets than with $100 headsets.
Therefore, I don't
know how you can claim you only sell the best. There is no
best where
performance is concerned, just trial, error and advice.

This is the smartest thing anyone has ever said concerning
headsets or microphones. It confirms our position all the way.
Ask why our skin gets itchy when anyone claims any microphone as
"being the best" and putting them into only one
group?.......there's your answer.

Funny that microphones seems to be the only subject to get into

these flaming battles---

I also hate when a vendor is directly flaming another vendor
without due
cause. This is simply bad professional courtesy and should say
something

about the individual and/or corporation.

What a refreshing statement as I ask myself who began this
"Birds of a feather" post.

I think you should rethink your tactics because it is simply a
disservice
to consumers. I'm sure one or two of your cheerleaders will
probably
join in and if I lived on these newsgroups, I am sure I would
have a few
cheerleaders of my own. However, I don't have time to fight.

Peter Daniels warned me of the "mine fields" this guy places
before I took on this task. He has told me of some curious
findings confirming this exact statement Enrique from
microphones.com makes. We now have more liberty to what we can
post using company email adresses --so I can freely express
opinions within limits:

Someone on this forum takes great pleasure in vomiting negative
comments on others in this forum. We often wonder where these
mysterious @yahoo and @hotmail email addresses come from and
this "Dave Thomas" shadow that continually comes from behind and
pokes everyone who posts on this forum reminding them of our
marketing practices that he disagrees with (could this possibly
be Rich***s--a friend of another poster who also live in NY?--
didn't want to mention the full last name)

BTW, our lawyers and AT&T are dealing with "Dave Thomas'"
harassment on and offline..(apparently, "this person" is calling
our toll free number on a daily basis and harasses our female
employees not to mention the numerous emails)

I end this long note just to say that there is enough business
in the
microphone industry to go around. I would love nothing better
than to
never fight with you again but stop trying to one-up everyone.
I am a
member of several newsgroups in the microphone industry (more
than just
computer mics). I see vendors posting all the time and as long
as you
are not a member of the newsgroup, there aren't constant one-up
battles.

Our thoughts exactly.

--
Jonathan Greer
speaktoyourpc.com

Write a review- get a FREE headset.
It's that simple.

Details can be found here:
http://www.speaktoyourpc.com/reviews

Martin Markoe

Nov 8, 2001, 7:40:19 PM11/8/01
Jonathan,

Instead of answering you point for point as has been done in the past, I
will let my reputation for truth, honesty and delivey stand on its own.

Martin