Power Calibration Error

Jan Janssen

Mar 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/24/00
Hello,

When I backup some data I on my writer (HP8100i) I get the following error
message:
"Power Calibration Error"
What does this mean, and how can I solve this?

Mike Richter

Mar 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/24/00
It usually means that the medium is poorly matched to your drive. Try
another line of blanks; if that does not solve the problem, the optics
may be dirty or the drive may be broken.

Mike

--
mric...@cpl.net
http://mrichter.simplenet.com

Mike Richter

May 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/6/00
As replied in the private and unannounced cross-post.

Vadim Tkachenko wrote:

> Mike Richter wrote:
> >
> > It usually means that the medium is poorly matched to your drive. Try
> > another line of blanks; if that does not solve the problem, the optics
> > may be dirty or the drive may be broken.
>

> Well, I've just started to have a similar problem with my HP 7200i. The
> message is a little bit different, most probably because I use it on
> Linux ("Power calibration area is full"), and here's a couple of funny
> facts:
>
> - As it started, I was able to successfully burn a CDR when reduced a
> speed from 2 to 1. Once. Then it wasn't possible at all.
> - The dummy write works flawlessly.
> - I can still burn the CDRW without problems.
>
> And, how do I clean the optics? HP explicitly says that I must not try
> to clean the CD Writer as the regular CD-ROM...

Very carefully. (I would have a pro do it.)

> One more funny thing: CD Writable FAQ points out that one of the failure
> reasons may be insufficiently cooled hardware. I'm in Arizona, so this
> is a kind of an issue here ;) but well, what is a definition of
> 'sufficiently cooled'? If my motherboard is consistently below 85F, is
> that 'sufficient'?

There is no quantitative answer to either question. Different drives
generate and tolerate different temperatures.

Mike

Vadim Tkachenko

May 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/7/00
Mike Richter wrote:

> It usually means that the medium is poorly matched to your drive. Try
> another line of blanks; if that does not solve the problem, the optics
> may be dirty or the drive may be broken.

Well, I've just started to have a similar problem with my HP 7200i. The
message is a little bit different, most probably because I use it on
Linux ("Power calibration area is full"), and here's a couple of funny
facts:

- As it started, I was able to successfully burn a CDR when reduced a
speed from 2 to 1. Once. Then it wasn't possible at all.
- The dummy write works flawlessly.
- I can still burn the CDRW without problems.

And, how do I clean the optics? HP explicitly says that I must not try
to clean the CD Writer as the regular CD-ROM...

One more funny thing: CD Writable FAQ points out that one of the failure

reasons may be insufficiently cooled hardware. I'm in Arizona, so this
is a kind of an issue here ;) but well, what is a definition of
'sufficiently cooled'? If my motherboard is consistently below 85F, is
that 'sufficient'?

> Mike
>
> Jan Janssen wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > When I backup some data I on my writer (HP8100i) I get the following error
> > message:
> > "Power Calibration Error"
> > What does this mean, and how can I solve this?
>
> --

--vt

Terry Russell

May 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/9/00
Vadim Tkachenko wrote:

> Mike Richter wrote:
> >
> > It usually means that the medium is poorly matched to your drive. Try
> > another line of blanks; if that does not solve the problem, the optics
> > may be dirty or the drive may be broken.
>
> Well, I've just started to have a similar problem with my HP 7200i. The
> message is a little bit different, most probably because I use it on
> Linux ("Power calibration area is full"), and here's a couple of funny
> facts:

NorthHemi? Summer coming?
Have you had it through winter and as it becomes hotter it stopped
working? or did it work okay last summer?

> - As it started, I was able to successfully burn a CDR when reduced a
> speed from 2 to 1. Once. Then it wasn't possible at all.
> - The dummy write works flawlessly.

because they don't actually write to the disk,

> - I can still burn the CDRW without problems.
>
> And, how do I clean the optics? HP explicitly says that I must not try
> to clean the CD Writer as the regular CD-ROM...

Its most likely just just the brand of disks, a change in formulation
try different brand CDR disks first since you can do CDRW okay
what speed does the CDRW write at?

You can do it by hand, not recommended for non-tinkerers.
If it is not working and all else fails use a CD lens cleaner kit
, once it stops writing the CDRW disks, you have nothing to lose.
Or pay for a service.

> One more funny thing: CD Writable FAQ points out that one of the failure
> reasons may be insufficiently cooled hardware. I'm in Arizona, so this
> is a kind of an issue here ;) but well, what is a definition of
> 'sufficiently cooled'? If my motherboard is consistently below 85F, is
> that 'sufficient'?

'sufficiently cooled' means enough cooling to make it work ;-)
motherboard temp has little to do with CD writer internal temperature.

all writers I know generate a lot of heat, they need air-flow around the
case to shift the heat
mounting it on top of the HD/CD bays as in most cases will make it even
hotter
there isn't a lot of airflow at the front/top of most cases

open the case and run a fan blowing onto the writer
wait 10 minutes then see if it has the error,
if not then do a few more to check

or just turn the machine of for an hour then boot and try a burn
immediately
it should have cooled to 'winter' operating temps by then

I have extra power supply fans on foam spacers duct-taped to the top of
the
writer and case blowing onto the motherboard/cpu, keeps the components
at nearambient
CD burning still doesn't work when ambient is over 40C

of course by then the AirCon power drain is huge and loadshedding is
likely as
overheated transformers blow, just the time when you think a backup of
all vital data
would have been a good idea ;-)

It can sometimes help to let the disk 'soak' for a few minutes
in the drive so it comes up to the operating temperature before
writing. Doesn't normally make any difference.

Vadim Tkachenko

May 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/10/00
Terry Russell wrote:

> Vadim Tkachenko wrote:
> >
> > Mike Richter wrote:
> > >
> > > It usually means that the medium is poorly matched to your drive. Try
> > > another line of blanks; if that does not solve the problem, the optics
> > > may be dirty or the drive may be broken.
> >
> > Well, I've just started to have a similar problem with my HP 7200i. The
> > message is a little bit different, most probably because I use it on
> > Linux ("Power calibration area is full"), and here's a couple of funny
> > facts:
>
> NorthHemi? Summer coming?
> Have you had it through winter and as it becomes hotter it stopped
> working? or did it work okay last summer?

Right on the spot ;) Moved from Iowa to Arizona ;) Though, last summer
it was quite OK - in the house without an A/C, today, even A/C doesn't
help

> > - As it started, I was able to successfully burn a CDR when reduced a
> > speed from 2 to 1. Once. Then it wasn't possible at all.
> > - The dummy write works flawlessly.
>
> because they don't actually write to the disk,

Figured ;) Though, that is an indication that the problem is a
beam/media related, not mechanics or controller

> > - I can still burn the CDRW without problems.
> >
> > And, how do I clean the optics? HP explicitly says that I must not try
> > to clean the CD Writer as the regular CD-ROM...
>
> Its most likely just just the brand of disks,

Unlikely, this is still the same batch. I don't think ALL of the
remaining 30 disks would suddenly go bad in a week.

> a change in formulation try different brand CDR disks first

Did, with almost the same result - the first brand goes bad within
seconds, the other within first 300MB

> since you can do CDRW okay what speed does the CDRW write at?

Surprisingly, 2 (which is the highest possible for 7200)

> You can do it by hand, not recommended for non-tinkerers.
> If it is not working and all else fails use a CD lens cleaner kit
> , once it stops writing the CDRW disks, you have nothing to lose.
> Or pay for a service.

Yep, I'm trying to defer the call to HP warranty service to the last
possible moment - still have a few months left...

> > One more funny thing: CD Writable FAQ points out that one of the failure
> > reasons may be insufficiently cooled hardware. I'm in Arizona, so this
> > is a kind of an issue here ;) but well, what is a definition of
> > 'sufficiently cooled'? If my motherboard is consistently below 85F, is
> > that 'sufficient'?
>
> 'sufficiently cooled' means enough cooling to make it work ;-)
> motherboard temp has little to do with CD writer internal temperature.
>
> all writers I know generate a lot of heat, they need air-flow around the
> case to shift the heat mounting it on top of the HD/CD bays as in most cases will make it
> even hotter there isn't a lot of airflow at the front/top of most cases

Well, it would've mattered if it was failing somewhere in the middle,
but BEFORE actually writing the data??? I dunno...

> open the case and run a fan blowing onto the writer wait 10 minutes then see if it has the
> error, if not then do a few more to check

Nope, that doesn't help. I almost froze the rest of the family to death
with the A/C down to 70F (21C) measured on mo/bo ;/

> or just turn the machine of for an hour then boot and try a burn
> immediately it should have cooled to 'winter' operating temps by then
>
> I have extra power supply fans on foam spacers duct-taped to the top of
> the writer and case blowing onto the motherboard/cpu, keeps the components
> at nearambient CD burning still doesn't work when ambient is over 40C

> of course by then the AirCon power drain is huge and loadshedding is
> likely as overheated transformers blow, just the time when you think a backup of
> all vital data would have been a good idea ;-)
>
> It can sometimes help to let the disk 'soak' for a few minutes
> in the drive so it comes up to the operating temperature before
> writing. Doesn't normally make any difference.

OK, will try everything or just say bye-bye to the writer, all in all it
still can do the CDRW and served me for a while - now they're cheaper
and faster ;)

--vt