HP 2280 BusinessJet Problem

Edward W. Thompson

May 23, 2007, 1:10:03 AM5/23/07
I have used a HP2280 Businessjet with an integrated HP JetDirect 615n
server card for some time. The printer connects to the network
through a 3com Office Connect ADSL Wireless Router.

The printer server has recently failed to connect, in fact the two LED
lights on the serrver no longer illuminate and when I run a
'configuration print out' on the printer the print server is not
identified. I believe everything points to the Jet Direct Card having
failed.

I have removed the card and reseated it and turned the printer off
for a period and restarted all without 'reactivating' the card. Can
anyone think of anything else I should do before trying to pickup a
'reasonable' replacement card?

Tony

May 23, 2007, 1:25:57 AM5/23/07

Edward
These cards have a high failure rate and HP have extended the warranty and no
longer make them, see
http://www.hp.com/pond/jetdirect/j6057a.html
Also they offer some sort of trade in allowance, see
http://www.hp.com/united-states/tradein/promo/jetdirect/index.html?jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN
If you are in the US you should be able to take advantage of one of these; if
not you should contact HP in your country and I am sure there will be a similar
policy in place.
Good luck

Tony
MS MVP Printing/Imaging

Edward W. Thompson

May 24, 2007, 1:00:44 AM5/24/07

Thanks Tony. Yes, I have subsequently found that the DirectJet 615N
has reliability problems and HP are offering a deal on replacement.

With regards to my particular problem, HP Service Group advised to try
a 'cold reset' by powering down, then hold down the 'resume' and
'item' pb while powering up again. This resurected the card and the
printer is back on the network.

Despite the large amount of documentation this 'process' eluded me. It
is likely in the manual somewhere but I can't find it. Oh well, live
and learn as they say.

Tony

May 24, 2007, 5:48:43 AM5/24/07

Delighted it is working.
The Cold Reset procedure will not be in the user manual but is in the service
manual.
Tony