Yellow Ink Jet Not Working on HP 722C

DaffyD®

Jun 26, 2002, 12:16:57 PM6/26/02
The yellow ink jet does not work. I've tried installing a new cartridge,
applying a damp paper towel to the bottom of the cartridge (both old and
new) to try to bleed the three inks out, printing the same document over and
over, but only the blue and red ink jets work
--
( : []=( DaffyD®

A Duck With Tools Is A Duck To Be Reckoned With.

Is there a clogged spot somewhere or is this some type of printer circuit or
driver board error?
It was working fine a couple of weeks ago. During the past couple of weeks
my hard drive crashed and there were some other problems that have been
fixed.
Does anyone have any suggestions?

Arthur Entlich

Jun 26, 2002, 9:54:31 PM6/26/02
I don't own any HP inkjet printers, but I'm guessing you have a bad
contact for the yellow portion of the head. Try cleaning the areas that
makes electrical contact with the head. If it isn't that, it could be a
damaged circuit cable from the circuit board or the board itself, or on
the software side, it may be the printer driver is messed up. Try
reloading it.

Art

DaffyD®

Jun 27, 2002, 12:33:24 AM6/27/02
I was also thinking it was the electrical contact or cable. We've had a
number of power outages here and even though I have a surge protector and
also unplug it from the wall to double protect against power surges when the
power comes back on, past power spikes may have hit the printer.
However, I'll try the easy fix first and try reinstalling the driver. Thank
you for your answer.
DD
"Arthur Entlich" <artis...@shaw.ca> wrote in message

Bob Headrick

Jun 27, 2002, 11:51:18 PM6/27/02
DaffyDŽ wrote:

> The yellow ink jet does not work. I've tried installing a new cartridge,
> applying a damp paper towel to the bottom of the cartridge (both old and
> new) to try to bleed the three inks out, printing the same document over and
> over, but only the blue and red ink jets work

You have a defective cartridge - it is possible that the first ran out of ink
and the second is defective. This can occur if the new cartridge is "old";
after a few years of storage they may lose one or more colors. Check the
following to see if your cartridges are still under warranty - if so contact HP
or your dealer for a replacement:
http://www.hp.com/cposupport/printers/support_doc/bpa02014.html

When purchasing cartridges look for the "install by" date printed on the
package. I have seen some stores that offer expired cartridges. When storing
new cartridges for extended periods it is best to store the cartridges in the
original packaging in an upright position the same as a cartridge would be
hanging on a store shelf.

As for electrical issues causing this problem, that is not the case here.
There are a number of control lines that would all have to have a problem to
knock out one color. No single (or even two or three) failures would cause a
color to be out.

Regards,

DaffyD®

Jun 29, 2002, 3:11:05 AM6/29/02
Bob, I sure hope you are right. I never thought to check for the install by
date on cartridges. BTW, this cartridge was stored in its package upright. I
bought it at Costco as part of a double cartridge package, but even if I
could find the receipt, most of the packaging is gone. However, the exp date
on the remaining unused cartridge is July 2002. I'll try installing it and
let you know how it works.

Thank you for the info on the control lines preventing color loss. I had not
read that in any ng I have visited. And you know what? You've been more help
than your employer's entire website, which leaves a lot, technical support
speaking, to be desired.

DD

"Bob Headrick" <bo...@proaxis.com> wrote in message

DaffyD®

Jun 29, 2002, 9:45:43 AM6/29/02
Just tested the other printer cartridge--you were right my friend. The
printer is working fine now--all colors are printing. I don't think I can
get a refund on the bad cartridge, but the most important thing now is I
don't need to buy a new printer.
Thank you for sharing your knowledge and helping me to avoid a huge hassle
and waste of money in buying another printer.
--
@( : []=( DaffyD®

A Duck With Tools Is A Duck To Be Reckoned With

Bob Headrick

Jun 29, 2002, 4:05:26 PM6/29/02

"DaffyDŽ" <daf...@woohoo.com> wrote in message

> Just tested the other printer cartridge--you were right my friend. The
> printer is working fine now--all colors are printing. I don't think I can
> get a refund on the bad cartridge, but the most important thing now is I
> don't need to buy a new printer.
> Thank you for sharing your knowledge and helping me to avoid a huge hassle
> and waste of money in buying another printer.

If the install-by date was July 2002 you probably still have some warranty time
left on the cartridges. See the following for details:
http://www.hp.com/cposupport/printers/support_doc/bpa02014.html A receipt is
not required.

Bob Headrick

Jul 1, 2002, 11:05:22 AM7/1/02

"Charlie+" <cha...@xxx.net> wrote in message
> On Sat, 29 Jun 2002 13:05:26 -0700, "Bob Headrick" <bo...@proaxis.com>
> wrote as underneath my bit! :
>
> I pulled the foil off a couple of these colour carts (1823) to find
> out why they had stopped working properly on the yellow even with
> plenty of ink left inside and found that the yellow ink firing
> channels were choked with a white deposit (insoluble crystals?) with
> enough expansion in one case that the deposit had forced the foil off
> to leak into the adjacent channel.
> Bob is this a known (ageing?) problem of the yellow ink in these
> carts?

Are you using HP ink? I have never seen this problem with HP ink in these
cartridges. If left out of the printer yellow crystals will form on the
outside of the orifice plate, but this is easily handled by the normal printer
servicing routine.

Model Flyer

Jul 1, 2002, 11:21:05 AM7/1/02

DaffyD® <daf...@woohoo.com> wrote in message

> Just tested the other printer cartridge--you were right my friend. The

> and waste of money in buying another printer.

Daffy you will find Bob to be one of the most helpful people on this
website, if only there were a few more.:-)

> --
> @( : []=( DaffyD®
>
> A Duck With Tools Is A Duck To Be Reckoned With

A duck is only good at flying and making a lot of noise. It doesn't matter
how good his tools are he will still be useless with them. Oddly even the
Duck is not the best at flying on odd occasions even they make mistakes when
landing and crash into trees, however normally Ducks are better at flying
than I am.:-)
--
.
---

Have a look at my Local Model Aero Club site
The Enniscorthy & Co Wexford MAC
http://geocities.com/e_and_cw_mac
Cheers Jonathan Hon. Tres.

---

Bob Headrick

Jul 2, 2002, 1:16:39 PM7/2/02

> The one cart I dismantled with the seriously expanding crystals - had
> been refilled with ink which worked fine in other HP (older) carts.
> Does this mean that HP yellow ink now has a formulation that reacts
> with heat + other non HP inks to wreck the cartridge??!! As obviously
> you are aware of the syndrome!!

I am not aware of any "syndrome", I just know I have not seen any such behavior
on HP inks. I do not test non-HP inks and have no way of knowing what
formulation you might have or what issues they may cause. Best to talk to
your supplier.