Epson IP4000 Printer

Bill Helbron

Feb 23, 2005, 11:50:21 AM2/23/05
I've seen a lot of reviews in this newsgroup and get the message that many of
you are very pleased with your IP4000. I'm seriously considering replacing my
old 760, but have one concern. I understand that the CD printing feature is not
available in the US. Is this true? If so, is there a better Epson choice?

Bill

SleeperMan

Feb 23, 2005, 12:30:57 PM2/23/05

First of all, watch out for you life if you say EPSON ip4000...it's CANON
ip4000 :-)))

second, yes, in US CDR printing is NOT available...in this case, Epson is
NOT a better choice, but ONLY one...

Bill Helbron

Feb 23, 2005, 12:45:01 PM2/23/05
Ooops!

SleeperMan

Feb 23, 2005, 12:50:04 PM2/23/05
Bill Helbron wrote:
> Ooops!

ops indeed...lucky you ended up alive...!
BTW...i AM very pleased with my ip4000... and i DO hate Epson.. don't ask me
why...i don't know...just i DO...you know...Canon owners MUST hate
Epson...and vice versa...

measekite

Feb 23, 2005, 1:42:00 PM2/23/05
If you absolutely need CD Printing in the U.S. the only choice is
Epson. However, my friend bought an Epson for that reason and prints a
lot of CDs. He is now on his third machine because there is a problem
with the feed mechanism.

measekite

Feb 23, 2005, 1:51:57 PM2/23/05
I like my Canon IP4000 and I do not hate Epson. I think that Epson's
are ink hogs, the ink costs more, and I am not in favor of permanent
print heads. But I also like my Epson 4180 scanner that I chose over
Canon scanners. I also like my HP 990Cse inkjet printer for business
use. It has the best quality draft on the market but somewhat slower
than the IP4000 lightning fast draft.

Xiccarph

Feb 23, 2005, 2:05:54 PM2/23/05
Hmmm, know anyone living overseas..?? Or maybe even in Mex or CA?

Why would Canon exclude the US models for CD printing??

SleeperMan

Feb 23, 2005, 2:41:20 PM2/23/05
measekite wrote:
> I like my Canon IP4000 and I do not hate Epson. I think that Epson's
> are ink hogs, the ink costs more, and I am not in favor of permanent
> print heads.

hmmm...Canon too does have permanent head...
It's just ...well, first thing is chipped carts...

Al Dykes

Feb 23, 2005, 2:35:08 PM2/23/05
In article <Y74Td.186$C47...@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com>,

I've seen purpose-built machines that print on CDs for $99. Maybe
the're just B&W. I didn't look. Picking a photorealisic printer that's
good and has reasonable cost consumables is hard enough without adding
the requirement to label CDs. My $0.02.

--

a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.

Larry

Feb 23, 2005, 4:21:56 PM2/23/05
In article <u%4Td.9481$F6.18...@news.siol.net>, Sleep...@too.sleepy
says...

> hmmm...Canon too does have permanent head...
> It's just ...well, first thing is chipped carts...

The Canon head is not "permanent" and can be replaced in less than a minute.

It is a simple "lift out" proceedure.

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.

Arthur Entlich

Feb 24, 2005, 8:31:14 AM2/24/05
The Canon head is usually referred to as a semi-permanent head, in that
it lasts several or even many cartridges. It is not a regular
consumable, and it's cost is an indication of that, however, it will
eventually fail, as the nature of thermal heads is to break down over
time with use.

Epson heads should, at least in theory, last for the life of the
printer. Some do fail due to what I believe to be a design flaw. That
majority will give you many years of printing, although they may require
cleaning to keep them from clogging.

Art

Larry

Feb 24, 2005, 9:03:00 AM2/24/05
In article <CGkTd.4642$38.3289@clgrps12>, arti...@telus.net says...

> The Canon head is usually referred to as a semi-permanent head, in that
> it lasts several or even many cartridges. It is not a regular
> consumable, and it's cost is an indication of that, however, it will
> eventually fail, as the nature of thermal heads is to break down over
> time with use.
>
> Epson heads should, at least in theory, last for the life of the
> printer. Some do fail due to what I believe to be a design flaw. That
> majority will give you many years of printing, although they may require
> cleaning to keep them from clogging.
>
> Art

Being a user of Canon printers for a VERY long time, (since before the BJC-
600) I may have something to contribute:

Going back to the S8## printer series and continuing into the i950, i960 all
the way to the ip3000/4000 et al, a sudden lack of a certain color in the
printout that doesnt seem to clear up after repeated head cleanings can
sometimes be cured this way:

1. Remove ink cartridges

2. Wet a swab with distilled water and Ammonia (about 2 to 5 % mix is good)

3. Carefully, VERY carefully clean the area around the ink-inlet hole in the
catridge holder.. DO NOT CLEAN THE INTAKE HOLE THIS WAY!!!! just the area
around it.

4. Using an eye-dropper or small syringe drip ONE DROP of the water/Ammonia
onto the intake hole.

5. Re-assemble with good, full cartridges.

6. Run a few cleaning cycles.

After doing this there is a good chance the printer will return to full
functionality.

It appears that after a half dozen or so cartridge changes, enough inky
"crud" can build up around the intake and prevent a good "seal" at the
cartridge/mount interface (seems to be rubber), thus allowing the print-head
to get air along with the ink. For some reason this seems to happen around
the "Magenta" intake more than others (at least for me).

I hope someone finds this helpfull.

SleeperMan

Feb 24, 2005, 11:11:44 AM2/24/05

Aaaa...understood...
however, when head died on my i550, cost of new was 80% of ip4000...