Announcing PHP 5.3.10 for VMS

Mark Berryman

Apr 6, 2012, 4:47:15 PM4/6/12
PHP 5.3.10 for Alpha or IA64 is now available in the usual place (
http://www.theberrymans.com/php_kits/ ). Beyond the updates to PHP
itself, the following updates have been made to the VMS kit:

Updated support libraries (OpenSSL, FreeTDS, libcurl, libpng, etc.).

Added readline support. However, some changes to readline were made:
1. There is a bug in the library as distributed where it would make a
pass through the Termcap strings and replace them with the corresponding
escape sequences. Subsequent calls to find the correct escape sequence
for a given Termcap string would then fail, causing most keys to not
repaint the line/screen correctly. Fixed this.
2. Change the EOF key from ^D to ^Z.
3. The Insert/Overstrike setting at startup is now based on your current
terminal setting instead of always defaulting to insert.
4. Changed the following special key functions to closer match VMS:
^A changed from beginning of line to insert/overstrike toggle
^H changed from rubout to beginning of line
^J changed from newline to delete word
^R changed from reverse search to refresh line
meta-^R and meta-^S now do the reverse and forward search
all other keys retain their emacs function

Added PostgreSQL support. No, this is not a PostgreSQL server but PHP
on VMS can now talk to a PostgreSQL server running on another system.

Updated the OpenVMS extension to PHP by adding functions to set,
retrieve, and delete DCL symbols as well as functions to set, retrieve,
and delete logical names. I've also added the necessary changes so that
this extension returns all the info that the reflection extension is
looking for. Type 'php --re openvms' to see the output. This command
will show all of the available functions and their expected arguments.
My thanks to Mark Daniel (he of WASD fame) for the DCL symbol code.

As always, feedback on the port itself, or any of the changes made, is
most welcome.

Mark Berryman

Rich Jordan

Apr 6, 2012, 5:04:54 PM4/6/12
On Apr 6, 3:47 pm, Mark Berryman <m...@theberrymans.com> wrote:
> PHP 5.3.10 for Alpha or IA64 is now available in the usual place (http://www.theberrymans.com/php_kits/).  Beyond the updates to PHP

Thank you very much for all your effort!

MG

Apr 6, 2012, 5:42:13 PM4/6/12
On 6-4-2012 22:47, Mark Berryman wrote:
> PHP 5.3.10 for Alpha or IA64 is now available in the usual place[.]

Thank you very much!

> Added PostgreSQL support. No, this is not a PostgreSQL server but PHP
> on VMS can now talk to a PostgreSQL server running on another system.

Excellent addition. I just so happen to like PostgreSQL and often tend
to prefer it over MySQL. It's actually on my list of things to port,
PostgreSQL. (Although, I've mostly been working on SQLite so far.)

- MG