VMS security vulnerability (POP server)

JF Mezei

Jul 1, 2007, 9:27:57 PM7/1/07
OK, it has been a couple of weeks and haven't heard anything back from HP).

When a pop client requests access to the VMS POP server (Alpha VMS 8.3,
TCPIP Services 5.6) and provides incorrect username/password, this event
is not logged in the audit server. A simple message is sent to OPCOM.
This message does not contain any clue on the origin of the request.

So overnight, it becomes possible to run brute force attempts on
usernames via POP since no intrusion detection/evasion is made, and
short of many messages in operator.log, there is nothing in AnA/AUDIT
and no information on the IP address of the client that made those attempts.

(I got such an attack with thousands of attempts).

The whole intrusion detection scheme needs to apply to ALL services
which grant access to VMS via user/password combination and all such
application should comply to whateer calling standards to ensure that
all attempts with invalid credentials are properly logged, including IP
address and the username that was attempted.

ultr...@gmail.com

Jul 1, 2007, 10:06:14 PM7/1/07

you need pmdf ...

Michael Moroney

Jul 1, 2007, 10:55:49 PM7/1/07
That is a nasty one, since much of what makes VMS resistant to such
attacks is the ability to sense a breakin attempt and deny access from
the breakin source even when it gets the password correct.

Did the attempt seem to target VMS or was it a script kiddie hacking at
a Windoze box or Unix box (accounts like administrator or root being
tried)

John Santos

Jul 2, 2007, 1:10:45 AM7/2/07

Works okay in IUPOP3 server <V2.0-4/NETLIB/(DECC) and TCPware V5.7-2.

Still broken in:

"HP TCP/IP Services for OpenVMS Industry Standard 64 Version V5.6 - ECO 1
on an HP rx2620 (1.60GHz/3.0MB) running OpenVMS V8.3"

Both IUPOP3 and TCPware POP3 log intrusions for each failed access and
then put you in "INTRUDER" state and initiate break-in evasion after
the appropriate number of failures. TCPIP (UCX) just logs the failures
to OPCOM.

There are a bunch of logical names that control TCPIP's POP3. None of
them seem to enable breakin evasion, though.

Plain vanilla POP3 isn't very secure since the usernames and passwords are
transmitted in plain text. There is an alternate APOP authorization method
that uses shared secrets instead. I haven't tried setting this up. It can
also be run over an SSL connection, where everything is encrypted. I haven't
tried setting this up either. (All my users are either on the LAN or
coming in over encrypted VPN connections, no WAN access to POP, and they
are all company employees with privileged VMS accounts anyway, so it
doesn't worry me very much.) Both of these alternate access methods can
be configured by logical names to be used in addition to or in place of
the standard plain-text access on port 110.

If you're letting the outside world get at port 110, then I would either
disable it or firewall it or use one of the alternatives (APOP or SSL)
instead.

--
John Santos
Evans Griffiths & Hart, Inc.

JF Mezei

Jul 2, 2007, 2:00:44 AM7/2/07

Brute force. And VMS is even worse:

$ telnet/port=110 chain
%TELNET-I-TRYING, Trying ... 10.0.0.11
%TELNET-I-SESSION, Session 01, host chain, port 110
+OK TCPIP POP server V5.6-9, OpenVMS V8.3 Alpha at chain.vaxination.ca,
up sinc>
USER canada
-ERR No such user "canada"
USER system
+OK Password required for "system"
PASS chocolate
-ERR password supplied for "system" is incorrect.
%TELNET-S-REMCLOSED, Remote connection closed
-TELNET-I-SESSION, Session 01, host chain, port 110

So by checking whether the USER command returns an -ERR or +OK, you can
narrow down which usernames are valid, and then proceed to guess their
passwords by brute force.

Chris Sharman

Jul 2, 2007, 3:16:41 AM7/2/07
JF Mezei wrote:
> Brute force. And VMS is even worse:
>
> $ telnet/port=110 chain
> %TELNET-I-TRYING, Trying ... 10.0.0.11
> %TELNET-I-SESSION, Session 01, host chain, port 110
> +OK TCPIP POP server V5.6-9, OpenVMS V8.3 Alpha at chain.vaxination.ca,
> up sinc>
> USER canada
> -ERR No such user "canada"
> USER system
> +OK Password required for "system"
> PASS chocolate
> -ERR password supplied for "system" is incorrect.
> %TELNET-S-REMCLOSED, Remote connection closed
> -TELNET-I-SESSION, Session 01, host chain, port 110
>

> So by checking whether the USER command returns an -ERR or +OK, you can
> narrow down which usernames are valid, and then proceed to guess their
> passwords by brute force.

Good job IUPOP3 does intrusion detection, and is easily available &
installable - I'd often wondered whether I ought to ditch it in favour
of the latest ucx/tcpip offering, but hadn't got around to it.

You make a convincing case for IUPOP3. It's source code, too, so if it
allows checking of user names in isolation, that would be easily fixable.

Chris

Joseph Huber

Jul 2, 2007, 3:45:52 AM7/2/07
Chris Sharman wrote:
> Good job IUPOP3 does intrusion detection, and is easily available &
> installable - I'd often wondered whether I ought to ditch it in favour
> of the latest ucx/tcpip offering, but hadn't got around to it.
>
> You make a convincing case for IUPOP3. It's source code, too, so if it
> allows checking of user names in isolation, that would be easily fixable.

I some time ago also switched from IUPOP3 to TCPIP services, because it
serves the SSL port, and our domain requests that for outside connections.
I know one could tunnel SSL POP (using e.g. STUNNEL, which I do for IMAP
in my aging TCPIP 5.3), but this has the ugly effect of being one
connection at a time (and others get connection timeout and have to retry).

Although TCPIP services POP implementation seems to be based on IUPOP3,
is there a newer IUPOP3 implementation serving the SSL port ?

--

Joseph Huber - http://www.huber-joseph.de

IanMiller

Jul 2, 2007, 4:17:49 AM7/2/07
"(All my users are either on the LAN or
coming in over encrypted VPN connections, no WAN access to POP, and
they
are all company employees with privileged VMS accounts anyway, so it
doesn't worry me very much.) "

This means that the usernames and passwords for privileged vms
accounts are going over your corporate LAN unencrypted. You may wish
to reconsider this.

IanMiller

Jul 2, 2007, 4:18:52 AM7/2/07
Orginally the UCX POP3 server was based on IUPOP3. I wonder if it
still is.

J.Jansen

Jul 2, 2007, 4:18:02 AM7/2/07
No idea at all where to download, since Indiana University closed the
IUPOP3 web-page. So I do not expect any new development.
Anyone any idea where to get the latest version?

Jouk

Ruslan R. Laishev

Jul 2, 2007, 4:19:43 AM7/2/07
Hello!

Have a look to http://starlet.deltatel.ru/~laishev/work/pop3/

I wrote this as replacement of the IUpop3 and other POP3 server supplied with
IP-package.

Intrusion detection, TLS support and so on...

--
+ WBR, OpenVMS [Sys|Net] HardWorker ............. Skype: SysMan-One +
Delta Telecom JSC, IMT-MC-450(CDMA2000) cellular operator

John Santos

Jul 2, 2007, 5:10:07 AM7/2/07

You're wrong, because you are making incorrect assumptions. I won't
say any more.

Tom Linden

Jul 2, 2007, 9:24:37 AM7/2/07

What happens if you disable telnet and only allow ssh?

--
PL/I for OpenVMS
www.kednos.com

Bill Gunshannon

Jul 2, 2007, 11:43:04 AM7/2/07
In article <op.tut97...@murphus.linden>,
"Tom Linden" <tom-r...@kednos.com> writes:
> On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 23:00:44 -0700, JF Mezei =

> <jfmezei...@vaxination.ca> wrote:
>
>> Michael Moroney wrote:
>>> That is a nasty one, since much of what makes VMS resistant to such =
>
>>> attacks is the ability to sense a breakin attempt and deny access fro=

>>> the breakin source even when it gets the password correct.
>>> Did the attempt seem to target VMS or was it a script kiddie hacking=
> at
>>> a Windoze box or Unix box (accounts like administrator or root being =
> =

>>> tried)
>>

>> Brute force. And VMS is even worse:
>>
>> $ telnet/port=3D110 chain

>> %TELNET-I-TRYING, Trying ... 10.0.0.11
>> %TELNET-I-SESSION, Session 01, host chain, port 110
>> +OK TCPIP POP server V5.6-9, OpenVMS V8.3 Alpha at chain.vaxination.ca=
> , =

>> up sinc>
>> USER canada
>> -ERR No such user "canada"
>> USER system
>> +OK Password required for "system"
>> PASS chocolate
>> -ERR password supplied for "system" is incorrect.
>> %TELNET-S-REMCLOSED, Remote connection closed
>> -TELNET-I-SESSION, Session 01, host chain, port 110
>>

>> So by checking whether the USER command returns an -ERR or +OK, you ca=
> n =
>
>> narrow down which usernames are valid, and then proceed to guess their=
> =

>> passwords by brute force.
>>
> What happens if you disable telnet and only allow ssh?

He is using TELNET from the source end. The destination is POP.
If he disables TELNET he can't get out of his box. :-) Somehow, I
don't think that will solve a problem with incoming POP connections.

bill

bi...@cs.scranton.edu | and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
University of Scranton |
Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include <std.disclaimer.h>

my...@null.net

Jul 2, 2007, 11:50:14 AM7/2/07
On Jul 2, 2:00 am, JF Mezei <jfmezei.spam...@vaxination.ca> wrote:
> So by checking whether the USER command returns an -ERR or +OK, you can
> narrow down which usernames are valid, and then proceed to guess their
> passwords by brute force.

Yes, but that behavior is up to the system manager. Messages
generated by the POP server can be either FRIENDLY or SECURE. For
example, if you don't want a potential attacker to be able to tell
whether or not a particular username exists, you can do:

$ DEFINE /SYSTEM /EXECUTIVE_MODE TCPIP$POP_SECURITY SECURE

Of course, you'll also want to make appropriate settings around other
ways to scan for valid usernames, such as SMTP, FINGER, FTP, and other
services you have enabled. Otherwise, the attacker who wants to know
whether user JONES exists will just try sending mail and see whether
it bounces.

For the POP server, the source of all access attempts (whether
successful or not) is captured in the file:

SYS$SYSDEVICE:[TCPIP$POP]TCPIP$POP_RUN.LOG

If the target username exists, the login failure count is also
incremented so that the user will be notified of the failures upon the
next valid login.

- Mark

Tom Linden

Jul 2, 2007, 12:14:52 PM7/2/07
On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 08:43:04 -0700, Bill Gunshannon <bi...@cs.uofs.edu>
wrote:

What I meant was, can ssh be similarly exploited to attempt breakin?

Steven M. Schweda

Jul 2, 2007, 12:27:52 PM7/2/07
From: "Tom Linden" <tom-r...@kednos.com>

> What I meant was, can ssh be similarly exploited to attempt breakin?

SSH seems to say the right things. For example:

[...]
Security alarm (SECURITY) and security audit (SECURITY) on ALP, system id: 1119
Auditable event: Network breakin detection
Event time: 1-JUL-2007 12:45:50.89
PID: 20221942
Process name: TCPIP$SS_BG4356
Username: ROOT
Password: <valid>
Remote node fullname: SSH_PASSWORD:202.79.4.57
Remote username: ROOT(LOCAL)
[...]

Steven M. Schweda sms@antinode-org
382 South Warwick Street (+1) 651-699-9818
Saint Paul MN 55105-2547

JF Mezei

Jul 2, 2007, 1:38:00 PM7/2/07
my...@null.net wrote:

> For the POP server, the source of all access attempts (whether
> successful or not) is captured in the file:
>
> SYS$SYSDEVICE:[TCPIP$POP]TCPIP$POP_RUN.LOG

From my examples posted yesterday:
> 2007-07-02 01:59:23 thread 0: sys$getuai: %RMS-E-RNF, record not found
> 2007-07-02 01:59:23 thread 0: User account "canada" is invalid.
> 2007-07-02 01:59:23 thread 0: No such user "canada"
> 2007-07-02 01:59:40 thread 0: password supplied for "system" is incorrect.
> 2007-07-02 01:59:40 thread 0: Max # of authentication attempts exceeded.
> 2007-07-02 04:05:51 thread 0: read iosb: %SYSTEM-F-LINKDISCON, network partner d
> isconnected logical link
> 2007-07-02 04:05:52 thread 0: abnormal disconnect

Where is the source of the attempt ? I see no IP address there.

> If the target username exists, the login failure count is also
> incremented so that the user will be notified of the failures upon the
> next valid login.

Not in my universe:

Username: SYSTEM Owner: Jean-François Mezei
Account: SYSTEM UIC: [1,4] ([SYSTEM])
CLI: DCL Tables: DCLTABLES
<...>
Expiration: (none) Pwdminimum: 5 Login Fails: 0
Pwdlifetime: (none) Pwdchange: 5-OCT-2006 01:02
Last Login: 25-JUN-2007 03:23 (interactive), 24-JUN-2007 00:31
(non-interactive)

my...@null.net

Jul 2, 2007, 5:43:35 PM7/2/07
On Jul 2, 1:38 pm, JF Mezei <jfmezei.spam...@vaxination.ca> wrote:
> Where is the source of the attempt ? I see no IP address there.

Whoops, you're right. I forgot that we have TCPIP$POP_LOG_LEVEL
defined to THREAD on our systems, which adds to the detail recorded in
the logfile. For normal operation, especially if you have hundreds of
clients, each configured to check its mailbox every 5 minutes, you may
not want to capture that much information. I agree that logging the
client address should probably be the default, at least in cases where
there has been an invalid access attempt.

- Mark

Jul 3, 2007, 1:59:39 AM7/3/07
Note that this was posted to the ovms-...@openvms.org by Hoff:

From: SMTP%"ovms-...@openvms.org" 2-JUL-2007 21:50:28.68
To: "Patch and Security Alerts" <ale...@openvms.org>
Subj: [OVMS-Alert] TCP/IP Services POP3 Security Vulnerability Report in Wild

From Stephen Hoffman, Hoffman Labs:

JF Mezei has posted details of a security vulnerability in
the OpenVMS TCP/IP Services POP3 implementation (current
versions) into the comp.os.vms newsgroup, reportedly after
contacting HP with the initial report of the
vulnerability. Mr Mezei indicates a local OpenVMS Alpha
system was targeted by a POP3 dictionary attack.

Remote IP-based POP3-based dictionary attacks appear
feasible against passwords using this vulnerability, and
no breakin evasion processing is performed.

I've posted a quick review of the newsgroup report and
some suggestions at the HoffmanLabs site:

http://64.223.189.234/node/395

The original report is available here:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.vms/msg/8a42e91fe1e9cd36

It is unclear if other components of TCP/IP Services are
similarly afflicted.

Send administrative queries to <alerts-...@openvms.org>

Please forward to friends and co-workers.

OpenVMS.org lists are not affiliated with HP.
OpenVMS is a trademark of HP.

dav...@alpha2.mdx.ac.uk

Jul 3, 2007, 9:18:24 AM7/3/07
In article <op.tut97...@murphus.linden>, "Tom Linden" <tom-r...@kednos.com> writes:
>On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 23:00:44 -0700, JF Mezei =

><jfmezei...@vaxination.ca> wrote:
>
>> Michael Moroney wrote:
>>> That is a nasty one, since much of what makes VMS resistant to such =
>
>>> attacks is the ability to sense a breakin attempt and deny access fro=

>>> the breakin source even when it gets the password correct.
>>> Did the attempt seem to target VMS or was it a script kiddie hacking=
> at
>>> a Windoze box or Unix box (accounts like administrator or root being =
> =

>>> tried)
>>

>> Brute force. And VMS is even worse:
>>
>> $ telnet/port=3D110 chain

>> %TELNET-I-TRYING, Trying ... 10.0.0.11
>> %TELNET-I-SESSION, Session 01, host chain, port 110
>> +OK TCPIP POP server V5.6-9, OpenVMS V8.3 Alpha at chain.vaxination.ca=
>, =

>> up sinc>
>> USER canada
>> -ERR No such user "canada"
>> USER system
>> +OK Password required for "system"
>> PASS chocolate
>> -ERR password supplied for "system" is incorrect.
>> %TELNET-S-REMCLOSED, Remote connection closed
>> -TELNET-I-SESSION, Session 01, host chain, port 110
>>

>> So by checking whether the USER command returns an -ERR or +OK, you ca=
>n =
>
>> narrow down which usernames are valid, and then proceed to guess their=
> =
>
>> passwords by brute force.
>>

>What happens if you disable telnet and only allow ssh?

Telnet in this instance is just being used to setup a connection to the POP
server port and then to pass the same commands that a pop client would send.
Telnet is often used in this manner. The telnet connection could come from
anywhere and the only way to stop telnet connections to the POP server port
would basically be to stop anyone connecting to that port eg not to run the POP
server.

David Webb
Security team leader
CCSS
Middlesex University

>-- =
>
>PL/I for OpenVMS
>www.kednos.com

Tom Wade

Jul 4, 2007, 10:54:08 AM7/4/07

> Brute force. And VMS is even worse:

The problem is that an application that accepts a username/password and
attempts to validate using $HASH_PASSWORD and $GETUAI *must* also make
explicit calls to $SCAN_INTRUSION, otherwise it provides a back door
around the intrusion detection mechanism. I have seen this on many
applications, including POP servers and web scripts to change your
password. With the benefit of hindsight, it might have been a better
idea to provide a $VERIFY_PASSWORD service which combines the three
functions above, because it is so easy for a developer to overlook it.

Another place to check is if the UCX SMTP server supports SASL (this is
the "my-server-requires-authentication" checkbox in the POP client).
SASL allows the client to pass a username/password in the ESMTP dialog
so that you can allow authenticated clients to relay through your server
irrespective of what IP address they are coming from . Even PMDF
overlooked putting this through $SCAN_INTRUSION when it first came out
(it was fixed pretty quickly). Only slightly more difficult to script
an attack on this one.

To check if your SMTP server supports SASL, telnet to port 25 and issue
an EHLO command. Look for the AUTH extension. It is harder to test
using telnet because the username/password pair need to be BASE64 encoded.

Tom Wade | EMail: tee dot wade at eurokom dot ie
EuroKom | Tel: +353 (1) 296-9696
A2, Nutgrove Office Park | Fax: +353 (1) 296-9697
Rathfarnham | Disclaimer: This is not a disclaimer
Dublin 14 | Tip: "Friends don't let friends do Unix !"
Ireland

IanMiller

Jul 4, 2007, 11:40:26 AM7/4/07

That is the intention of the SYS$ACM service. See Chapter 33 of the
programming concepts manual
http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/82FINAL/5841/5841pro_contents_010.html#toc_chapter_33

dclh...@gmail.com

Jul 4, 2007, 2:11:22 PM7/4/07
On Jul 2, 12:10 am, John Santos <j...@egh.com> wrote:

> Plain vanilla POP3 isn't very secure since the usernames and passwords are
> transmitted in plain text. There is an alternate APOP authorization method
> that uses shared secrets instead. I haven't tried setting this up.

APOP works well in TCP/IP Services and setup is trivial. The username
is still passed in the clear, but the password is not. Setup can be
summarized as:

1. Create a POP_SECRET.DAT file with your passphrase in your VMSmail
directory (secure it so that only the owner has access).
2. If necessary, tell your client that you're going to use APOP.

Full details for the server side can be found in the following section
of the TCP/IP Services User's Manual:

http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/732FINAL/6525/6525pro_016.html#heading_5.12.1

In the case of Thunderbird, you don't have to do anything extra --
when you connect, it asks for your password: simply provide your
passphrase.

You would still be able to use this thread's described attack vector
to identify user accounts, but it removes the ability to sniff
passwords on the wire, as only an MD5 hash of the passphrase is sent.

Aaron

Ruslan R. Laishev

Jul 5, 2007, 3:24:24 AM7/5/07
Hello!

> 2. If necessary, tell your client that you're going to use APOP.

There is a POP3 with TLS support (TLS is supported by most POP3 clients), just
got it and use it, and lost an interest to the problem.

Richard Maher

Jul 5, 2007, 9:16:22 PM7/5/07
Hi Ruslan (or anyone),

Was it you I helped with that UWSS that looked up SYSUAF? (and who now feels
honour-bound to return the favour and help me with this question(s) :-)

[1] I saw your code and the SSL_Read calls but I can't find any mention in
there, or the (minimalist) OpenSSL docs, about how to handle TCP/IP
Out-Of-Band character processing. I believe the SSLv3 specification
explicitly states that the OOB data is to be packaged up as a normal SSL
record (albeit wrappering a single byte) but it doesn't say much sbout how
the receiving end gets told about it. Flag? Record Type? Any ideas?

Is there a SSL_Select somewhere?

Is there a MSG_OOB flag on the read somewhere? (How do you do a MSG_PEEK in
SSL for that matter?)

[2] Assuming that OpenSSL somehow surfaces the interface for OOB
transmission, can anyone see any reason why STUNNEL doesn't support it?
(unless it's "inlined")

[3] If OpenSSL is now a System Integrated Product (SIP) why is C the only
supported interface? It looks about as "Integrated" as a buttock boil!

Cheers Richard Maher

"Ruslan R. Laishev" <zzLa...@zzDeltaTelecom.RU-remove.all-zz-to-reply>

aaa...@gmail.com

Jul 9, 2007, 4:43:01 AM7/9/07
Hello, Richard!

Sorry for the long silence.

On 6 , 05:16, "Richard Maher" <maher...@hotspamnotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Ruslan (or anyone),
>
> Was it you I helped with that UWSS that looked up SYSUAF? (and who now feels
> honour-bound to return the favour and help me with this question(s) :-)

Yep. I keep in my mind the your help in the past.

> [1] I saw your code and the SSL_Read calls but I can't find any mention in
> there, or the (minimalist) OpenSSL docs, about how to handle TCP/IP
> Out-Of-Band character processing. I believe the SSLv3 specification
> explicitly states that the OOB data is to be packaged up as a normal SSL
> record (albeit wrappering a single byte) but it doesn't say much sbout how
> the receiving end gets told about it. Flag? Record Type? Any ideas?

I'm not a guru in the SSL programming. In the POP3 i have not used
the OOB processing.

> Is there a SSL_Select somewhere?
>
> Is there a MSG_OOB flag on the read somewhere? (How do you do a MSG_PEEK in
> SSL for that matter?)

I think that you can use "BIO object" to perform your specific
handling of the network I/O.

> [2] Assuming that OpenSSL somehow surfaces the interface for OOB
> transmission, can anyone see any reason why STUNNEL doesn't support it?
> (unless it's "inlined")

Sorry, I dunno.

> [3] If OpenSSL is now a System Integrated Product (SIP) why is C the only
> supported interface? It looks about as "Integrated" as a buttock boil!

I think that and prog. lang. can use the SSL API.

> Cheers Richard Maher
>
> "Ruslan R. Laishev" <zzLais...@zzDeltaTelecom.RU-remove.all-zz-to-reply>
> wrote in messagenews:9577ECA761293C77...@NNTP.DeltaTel.RU...

> > Hello!
>
> > > 2. If necessary, tell your client that you're going to use APOP.
>
> > There is a POP3 with TLS support (TLS is supported by most POP3 clients),
> just
> > got it and use it, and lost an interest to the problem.
>
> > --
> > + WBR, OpenVMS [Sys|Net] HardWorker ............. Skype: SysMan-One +
> > Delta Telecom JSC, IMT-MC-450(CDMA2000) cellular operator
> > Russia,191119,St.Petersburg,Transportny per. 3 Cel: +7 (812) 716-3222

> > +http://starlet.deltatelecom.ru............. Frying on OpenVMS only +

Richard Maher

Jul 9, 2007, 5:07:49 AM7/9/07
Thanks anyway.

I'll try and lookup this BIO Object thing.

Cheers Richard Maher

PS. If only IPSec was here and Network Layer Security was a reality on VMS
:-( Go and buy Multinet TODAY! Time and time again VMS engineering has
proven that they couldn't give two shits about UCX (apart from spending more
than the entire devlopment budget to rename it to TCP/IP Services) either
that or they are simply incapable of providing an industrial strength
version of the LP before everyone else has switch to CDs and iPods.)

But what the fuck do you care you "bread and circuses" system management
types? All you want is a new lexical function called f$bell_volume(9) and
you're in raptures; throw in a couple of never-ending threads on
global-warming, noah's-ark and the gulf war and you're all nursing a semi!

Why HP refuses to take this useless bunch of twats serously is an absolute
mystery!

<aaa...@gmail.com> wrote in message