Smart Array P600 SAS/SATA controller and OpenVMS I64/V8.3-1H1

Heuser

Jul 27, 2010, 10:50:45 AM7/27/10

It might be only of interest to Hobbyists, but I figured out how to
install a Smart Array P600 controller under OpenVMS I64 V8.3-1H1.

You'll get cheap 1 TB SATA-drives that are certificated for 24/7 usage
but there is no supported SAS/SATA controller with an PCI-X-interface
(zx2000,rx2600,rx4640).

If you need big user-drives (boot is not possible, sorry), then here
is the solution:

Add the following lines to file sys$system:SYS$USER_CONFIG.DAT

device = "Smart Array P600"
name = PK
driver = sys$pkrdriver.exe
adapter = PCI
id = 0x3220103C
boot_class = DK
boot_flags = HW_CTRL_LTR, UNIT_0
flags = CISS, PORT, BOOT
end_device

Then you'll see the drive after the system is up.

I have tested it now several days and everything seems to be OK.
No crash during volume shadowing and other I/O intensive tasks. The
error counts stays
at zero.

Have fun
Eberhard

dit...@dittman.net

Aug 4, 2010, 9:33:42 PM8/4/10
Heuser <vax...@chemie.uni-konstanz.de> wrote:
> Hi,

I tried this about three years ago:

http://tinyurl.com/239o9tu

I'm still using the LSISAS1068-based controller (specifically the SAS3080X-HP) I
switched to as I can boot from it (both OpenVMS and HP/UX). Right now I've got
V8.4 booted from a RAID 1 set. The card can be managed from SAS$UTIL.
--
Eric Dittman