Questions to Sujatha Ramani

JF Mezei

May 11, 2009, 3:16:35 PM5/11/09
In case she reads this, here are some of the questions I would have:
(not in order of importance).

-Size of VMS engineering in 2010 versus 2008 (headcount). (Forget 2009
since it is a transition year).

-Percentage of man hours assigned to supporting new HP hardware vs
adding new operating features. (I consider support of virtualised
instances running on HP-UX to be hardware support since it doesn't add
any usable features for VMS users).

-Please describe the new VMS management structure. Who, how, why will
there be decisions to add a new command in VMS or improve one utility ?
Will HP Marketing in the USA dictate what can and cannot be added to VMS
? Or will VMS engineering in India have high degree of latitude to set
the direction for VMS ?

-Will there be any VMS management left in new england, and if so, why,
and what will their role be ? Won't they be so detached for HP
headquarters and VMS engineering that they won't be of much use ?

-Now that VMS engineering in India will be grown, are there chances that
utilities such as MAIL or TPU which have long been in maintenance-only
mode be re-opened for development ?

-With no bootcamp and a decimated worldwide user group, how do you/HP
expect to find out what type of improvements customers need/want to see
on VMS ?

Colin Butcher

May 11, 2009, 3:42:29 PM5/11/09
JF - don't expect an instantaneous answer. She's on vacation at the moment,
according to her 'out of office' auto-responder.

If you mail her privately then you might get answers from someone, but if
you do that, you shouldn't post the response for public viewing unless they
permit you to do so.

Cheers, Colin.

VAXman-

May 11, 2009, 3:54:13 PM5/11/09

Take over and go on holiday... sounds like the US government to me. We've
all seen what they (US Gov) do to completely mismanage just about anything
they put their hands on.

http://www.quirkfactory.com/popart/asskey/eqn2.png

JF Mezei

May 11, 2009, 4:12:44 PM5/11/09
Colin Butcher wrote:

> If you mail her privately then you might get answers from someone, but if
> you do that, you shouldn't post the response for public viewing

Didn't our Sue mention there was some webcast planned ?

If HP is unwilling to answer those questions publically, then that sends
a message that is as valuable as the questions themselves.

And if my post with the questions doesn't make it to Mrs Ramani then it
tells us that we cabn't expect her to monitor comp.os.vms

Jan-Erik Söderholm

May 11, 2009, 4:40:10 PM5/11/09
JF Mezei wrote:
> Colin Butcher wrote:
>
>> If you mail her privately then you might get answers from someone, but if
>> you do that, you shouldn't post the response for public viewing
>
> Didn't our Sue mention there was some webcast planned ?
>
> If HP is unwilling to answer those questions publically,...

Personaly I'm more interested in that HP answers questions
from those actualy paying for the support/development of VMS.

I've no idea how much revenue your sites generate for HP, JF,
but *I* would be glad to answer if HP is interested in what
I would find valuable for the VMS sites I support.

> then that sends
> a message that is as valuable as the questions themselves.
>
> And if my post with the questions doesn't make it to Mrs Ramani then it
> tells us that we cabn't expect her to monitor comp.os.vms

I realy hope that she listens to the VMS customers instead of
monitoring c.o.v.

The *last* thing I'm worried about is if VMS is developed/supported
someplace +6 or -6 hours from me. I couln't care less.

Jan-Erik.

JF Mezei

May 11, 2009, 10:03:51 PM5/11/09
Jan-Erik S�derholm wrote:

> I realy hope that she listens to the VMS customers instead of
> monitoring c.o.v.

Fine. Let HP communicate solely with the handful of large VMS customers
who have an active relationship with HP. Let Mrs Ramani confirm
explicitely or implicitely that this will be the case so that we, the
community, can stop expecting any information from HP.

> The *last* thing I'm worried about is if VMS is developed/supported
> someplace +6 or -6 hours from me. I couln't care less.

It isn't where VMS is developped that counts. It is the mandate, budget,
size and quality of the engineering group that counts.

You may feel the ongoing changes are not significant, I don't. Perhaps I
am the only one with such an opinion and the rest of the VMS user base
is fully confidant that HP would never take any decision that would hurt
VMS' long term success.

Michael Kraemer

May 11, 2009, 10:19:58 PM5/11/09
JF Mezei schrieb:

> Fine. Let HP communicate solely with the handful of large VMS customers
> who have an active relationship with HP.

Makes perfect sense. Those customers pay the bills.
C.o.v doesn't.

> Let Mrs Ramani confirm
> explicitely or implicitely that this will be the case so that we, the
> community, can stop expecting any information from HP.

Who do you think you are ? Inofficial member of the board ?
HP is in no way obliged to discuss their business plans
in c.o.v.

> It isn't where VMS is developped that counts. It is the mandate, budget,
> size and quality of the engineering group that counts.

Next time you require that HP ask for your written permission
whenever they want to right-size their budget
or to lay-off some employees, ROTFL.

JF Mezei

May 11, 2009, 11:54:28 PM5/11/09
Michael Kraemer wrote:

> Next time you require that HP ask for your written permission
> whenever they want to right-size their budget
> or to lay-off some employees, ROTFL.

Asking for permission != informing the community of very significant
changes.

I've obviously hit a raw nerve here and appear to be alone with my
opinions. Another example of my living in a different universe.

Contrary to popular opinion, I am not the one who is responsible for HP
laying off a whole bunch of people and moving VMS to India. Don't blame
me for that decision.

If you are perfectly comfortable with that decision and don't see any
need to ask HP any questions, then so be it.

Sue

May 11, 2009, 11:59:54 PM5/11/09

Hey folks, first Sujatha is replacing me not Ann please do not expect
her to answer things you would not expect of me, its not fair. This
is not said with any mistaken loyalty to anyone.

Also HP rules are not changing things that could not be posted two
weeks ago will not be posted two weeks from now. It never has been
about folks not wanting to tell you things.

Sue

DaveG

May 12, 2009, 10:25:33 AM5/12/09
> Sue- Hide quoted text -

I'd keep Sujatha away from the shark infested waters of cov until she
learns how to swim with the sharks and not be considered a snack.

And yes, I'm aware of the shark and its connection to VMS.

Steven Underwood

May 12, 2009, 7:21:26 PM5/12/09

"JF Mezei" <jfmezei...@vaxination.ca> wrote in message

> Jan-Erik S�derholm wrote:
>
> You may feel the ongoing changes are not significant, I don't. Perhaps I
> am the only one with such an opinion and the rest of the VMS user base
> is fully confidant that HP would never take any decision that would hurt
> VMS' long term success.

OR maybe many of us believe there is no "long term success" left for VMS.
That maintaining the current systems is about all we can expect to happen
with it.

David J Dachtera

May 12, 2009, 10:12:11 PM5/12/09

Quite. "Want" is not the issue - "prohibition" is the issue.

D.J.D.

David J Dachtera

May 12, 2009, 10:14:06 PM5/12/09

Quite. Until we VMS ported to a platform that actually has a future -
either x86-64 or Power - don't expect the VMS bar to be raised much
higher than now.

D.J.D.